Author Topic: Type-S question (now with video!)  (Read 8810 times)

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
Type-S question (now with video!)
« on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 01:46:21 »
Hey guys,

I just received a Type-S in the mail and had a question for all you other veteran users. I'm loving the reduced sound and increased stability of the silenced switches! It feels easier to type on and makes way less noise, but still retains that fun THOCK. My question is this: There seems to be a lot of friction between the slider and the casing on a number of switches, and it makes a loud "whistling" sound when you push the key down fast. You can feel the slight increased resistance (just feels a little scratchy, less smooth) on the louder ones. Is that pretty typical of these boards? I'm still really enjoying it, but I'm curious because I didn't hear this sound in any of the videos I watched or read about it in any comments or reviews. If it is typical, does it go away with time? I'd rather not open it up and lube it, if at all possible. Other than the funny sounds (sounds like an old school LP scratching sound), this thing is a joy to type on!

EDIT: Added a video, as per spiceBar's suggestion:
feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 March 2014, 04:19:04 by reziak »

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Re: Type-S question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 02:01:49 »
Hey reziak,

Sorry to hear about that, I haven't noticed any whistling sound like you describing. I don't think it's normal should be smooth and awesome on all keys even the large ones. Maybe someone else can comment.

Random note: Enter is actually my favourite key to press on the type-s it's just sounds so awesome.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 02:10:39 »
Hey reziak,

Sorry to hear about that, I haven't noticed any whistling sound like you describing. I don't think it's normal should be smooth and awesome on all keys even the large ones. Maybe someone else can comment.

Random note: Enter is actually my favourite key to press on the type-s it's just sounds so awesome.

Hmmm I wonder if I got a dud board then. The louder keys definitely feel scratchier and a lot mushier, too. The quieter keys feel closer to what I know with my other Topre boards. So it should feel the same as a normal Topre board, as far as the crispness?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 02:12:33 »
Yeah I felt the scratchiness at first two. I had my Type-S for around 3 months now and use it daily, and the scratchiness has significantly subsided, but it's still there on some keys. You should just break it in and then lube the keys if you think it's still too scratchy.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 02:16:23 »
Yeah I felt the scratchiness at first two. I had my Type-S for around 3 months now and use it daily, and the scratchiness has significantly subsided, but it's still there on some keys. You should just break it in and then lube the keys if you think it's still too scratchy.

It's just so noticeable! I love the crispness at the top and smoothness of the throw of my other Topre boards, and the Type-S as it stands now feels closer to a standard rubber dome :( Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2014, 02:19:21 by reziak »

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 02:26:49 »
Did you get that funny whooshing or whistling sound on the keys that felt scratchier, Sniping? It's funny, since it's so silent that's all I hear when I type.

Offline osi

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 06:42:27 »
rez,

Never experienced those symptoms with my board. Hopefully the break in will take care of that for you

Hey reziak,

Dat enter +1.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 07:37:52 »
I swear I read somewhere that the whooshing was the air going out of the domes when you pressed them down, seriously I'm not trolling.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 07:42:48 »
I got a 30g silent RF the other week. I put those sliders/silencers inside am hhkb. Never noticed anything but the thock. Although my input may be invalid due to the all 30g dome.

I don't know if this has been answered..,is it just an hhkb or RF?

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 12:45:47 »
I got a 30g silent RF the other week. I put those sliders/silencers inside am hhkb. Never noticed anything but the thock. Although my input may be invalid due to the all 30g dome.

I don't know if this has been answered..,is it just an hhkb or RF?

Its a brand new HHKB Type-S. Should've been more clear! It doesn't sound like anyone else has experienced the whooshing noise....

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 04:41:36 »
I haven't heard of any whooshing sound when I use my HHKB (Pro JP Type-S). Also, the thock sound is muffled so I guess it is barely audible. Though I must admit that I too at first when I got my HHKB and started using it I felt that the keyboard was almost like as if I was typing on rubber dome over membrane sort of keyboard. Though much later on as I pulled my HHKB apart I realise that it was genuinely Topre.

The whooshing sound could be attributed I guess to lots of things. Initially I was thinking that it might be in conjuction with scratchy feeling at first it might be the sliders have some scuff marks on them which may make the feel scratchy. I know that when I had to take the sliders off my HHKB off (because I needed to clean my HHKB) the sliders were a real pain to take off and it is not possible without scratching or making scuff marks on the sliders itself.

On latter thoughts, it might be that the silencers are possibly a little loose. Those foam sliders may tend to move on their own even though the bottom of the slider (which I guess it could be called a retainer) is not actually moving. In other words, potentially holding HHKB Type-S upside down without keys or PCB and rubber cups in place and all may allow the foam to move around freely. Those silencers are not glued down and are freely to move. So I guess that might be why there is a noise such as a whoosh. Though I cannot be for certain about it.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:54:17 »
Hey guys,

I just received a Type-S in the mail and had a question for all you other veteran users. I'm loving the reduced sound and increased stability of the silenced switches! It feels easier to type on and makes way less noise, but still retains that fun THOCK. My question is this: There seems to be a lot of friction between the slider and the casing on a number of switches, and it makes a loud "whistling" sound when you push the key down fast. You can feel the slight increased resistance (just feels a little scratchy, less smooth) on the louder ones. Is that pretty typical of these boards? I'm still really enjoying it, but I'm curious because I didn't hear this sound in any of the videos I watched or read about it in any comments or reviews. If it is typical, does it go away with time? I'd rather not open it up and lube it, if at all possible. Other than the funny sounds (sounds like an old school LP scratching sound), this thing is a joy to type on!

Record a video and post it. Too much speculation in this thread.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 04:01:21 »
Hey guys,

Good idea -- totally forgot my phone can take videos, haha. Video posted in OP soon!

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 04:44:45 »
Hey guys,

Good idea -- totally forgot my phone can take videos, haha. Video posted in OP soon!

Wow! Weird, indeed.

As SpamRay said, there is a little bit of pneumatic action in Topre switches.

Air can exit from under the domes by 2 holes in the PCB (each switch has 2 holes), and also by the base of the rubber dome, which has what looks like dedicated paths for the air flow.

I have personally been able to feel the air flow from the holes in the PCB when I was working on modding my Realforce keyboards. When you press a switch hard like you do in the video, you can feel the air flow.

It's hard to tell from the video, but maybe the PCB holes are closed (too much solder), and the air is forced to exit by the paths at the base of the domes.

I can't think of a better explanation.

It would be relatively easy to check this theory by opening the case of the keyboard.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 13:07:04 »
Hey guys,

Wow! Weird, indeed.

Air can exit from under the domes by 2 holes in the PCB (each switch has 2 holes), and also by the base of the rubber dome, which has what looks like dedicated paths for the air flow.

I have personally been able to feel the air flow from the holes in the PCB when I was working on modding my Realforce keyboards. When you press a switch hard like you do in the video, you can feel the air flow.

It's hard to tell from the video, but maybe the PCB holes are closed (too much solder), and the air is forced to exit by the paths at the base of the domes.

It would be relatively easy to check this theory by opening the case of the keyboard.

Glad to know this isn't normal. Not too interested in taking apart and doing stuff to it, as it is brand new from EK. I'll contact them and see if I can exchange it. Thanks for the help!

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
Re: Type-S question (now with video!)
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 14:54:21 »
I absolutely love the whistling sound :D

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 15:13:11 »
I absolutely love the whistling sound :D

Haha, I'll trade ya!  :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:04:55 »
oh, that's the ying yang twins SE!

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline insomniak

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:18:38 »
I was reading about the THOCK sound of the keys when you press them and wondered if somebody could explain what makes the Type - S sound like that? I have a Ducky Shine 3 with browns and it sounds considerably louder and doesn't THOCK like the Type S.

My brother has the Type - S so I was able to compare.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:39:48 »
oh, that's the ying yang twins SE!

I don't understand this comment :(

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:41:32 »
I was reading about the THOCK sound of the keys when you press them and wondered if somebody could explain what makes the Type - S sound like that? I have a Ducky Shine 3 with browns and it sounds considerably louder and doesn't THOCK like the Type S.

My brother has the Type - S so I was able to compare.

It's just part of the nature of Topre switches -- they have a very signature bottoming out sound that a lot of people really appreciate. It's especially thock...y on an HHKB, because the switches are mounted onto the plastic case, creating a really large area that it can resonate in.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 17:07:49 »
This is exactly what I heard when I first got my Type-S as well. Just use it, it's friction and general use will remediate the issue. If you're still unsatisfied after a couple of months, you can try lubing with the GH/OG thick formula lube.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 18:40:21 »
This is exactly what I heard when I first got my Type-S as well. Just use it, it's friction and general use will remediate the issue. If you're still unsatisfied after a couple of months, you can try lubing with the GH/OG thick formula lube.

Oh, really? You're the first one to mention you also experienced this! I've been sitting here spamming the worst offenders in hopes of breaking them in....The sound didn't bother me so much at first, but the more I use it the more it's getting on my nerves, haha. Hoping to hear back from EK sometime soon as well. Thanks for the info!

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 19:40:40 »

Oh, really? You're the first one to mention you also experienced this! I've been sitting here spamming the worst offenders in hopes of breaking them in....The sound didn't bother me so much at first, but the more I use it the more it's getting on my nerves, haha. Hoping to hear back from EK sometime soon as well. Thanks for the info!
I really hope you find some sort of solution to this! I had the same problem with my HHKB, there was a spring stuck to the membrane on one of my home row keys and it was making a faint clicking noise, I tried to ignore it, but after realizing it was there it seemed like it became amplified and was impossible to ignore.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 22:24:25 »

I really hope you find some sort of solution to this! I had the same problem with my HHKB, there was a spring stuck to the membrane on one of my home row keys and it was making a faint clicking noise, I tried to ignore it, but after realizing it was there it seemed like it became amplified and was impossible to ignore.

Yeah, this is a lightly different issue. I had that problem with my HHKB Pro 2 too, but it went away after a few days' use! I emailed EK about it, and this was the response I got back:

"In most cases the springs will get knocked back into their proper place after several days of use. If you find that there are keys that still make this noise after a week or two, then you might try to pick up the board and gently tap it on each edge to hopefully jar any stubborn springs back to the proper position."

Hope it gets better soon!

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 22:27:37 »
Hey guys,

Wow! Weird, indeed.

I think Sniping is right, and that it just feels like the friction of the slider against the casing, or something like that. I'm still waiting on a response from EK.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:53:19 »
Definitely sounds like friction on the keys. I don't have any sound like that on any of my keys. I mean it's not as terrible as I thought but probably worth checking with EK.
Typed on my type-s.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 13:49:05 »
I just got my HHKB Type-S in the mail today and I am also having this "wooshing" sound. The outer keys are just fine but the further towards the middle I get the worse it is. GHJ and VBNM are the worst offenders.

Unfortunately I did not get mine trough EK and instead used amazon.co.jp + tenso proxy, so I am not sure what the best course of action for getting this replaced would be. Hopefully it gets better on its own like some problems. *crosses fingers*

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 07:42:20 »
It really does seem like some kind of friction which could get better with time otherwise you could always try some lube.

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:42:50 »
Oh man, that sound would rip my heart into pieces.

Got min from EK aswell, but I don't have this issue. I get some minor squeaking when I push down space and rub it up and down very slow. It doesn't bother me though, just hope it won't get worse.

Good luck!

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:28:10 »
Hey guys,

EDIT: Added a video, as per spiceBar's suggestion:
feature=youtu.be

I can't seem to access the video. Did you delete it?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:46:48 »
If you know what your listening for you can hear it in this video around 0:25. It sounds almost like a little whistle.

t=20

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:01:56 »
If you know what your listening for you can hear it in this video around 0:25. It sounds almost like a little whistle.

t=20

Ahh, yeah, that's subtle but I can see how it would get really annoying. I own no HHKBs and my FC660C didn't have this problem, so I don't have any idea about how to help you, but I wish you the best of luck.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:49:55 »
I just got my HHKB Type-S in the mail today and I am also having this "wooshing" sound. The outer keys are just fine but the further towards the middle I get the worse it is. GHJ and VBNM are the worst offenders.

Unfortunately I did not get mine trough EK and instead used amazon.co.jp + tenso proxy, so I am not sure what the best course of action for getting this replaced would be. Hopefully it gets better on its own like some problems. *crosses fingers*

any news on this? did this stop somewhen? I got my type-s today and it does exactly that... I'm currently very disappointed by the type-s. my normal hhkb feels and sounds so much better...

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:53:53 »
My brand new Type-S does this too.

I'm hoping as I use the board more the sounds will go away.

Offline osi

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:02:36 »
Dang, that's unfortunate guys

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:04:46 »
Luckily, my Type-S does not have this problem.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:52:56 »

any news on this? did this stop somewhen? I got my type-s today and it does exactly that... I'm currently very disappointed by the type-s. my normal hhkb feels and sounds so much better...

I got my type-s a few weeks ago and also have the exact same issue. I noticed a few people saying EK gave RMA on boards with this issue but I bought mine in Japan so that was not an option and regardless this issue seems pretty widespread, especially with recent type-s boards - but have seen a fair few cases of it on older ones too.

It's definitely not air escaping as suggested in this thread, it must be something to do with the silencing pads - linked to the fact that the keys feel much 'tighter' on the type-s compared to the regular HHKB.

I actually emailed PFU shortly after receiving the board. They got back to me and basically said that it's normal for the type-s and after using the board for some time it will go away - so who knows if that will happen or not. I think that it has gotten slightly better after using the board for a few weeks, but only by a very small amount. I was planning to lube my type-s anyway, so it will be interesting to see if this helps this whooshing at all.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 01:59:14 »
That was expensive scrap.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 14:03:49 »

I got my type-s a few weeks ago and also have the exact same issue. I noticed a few people saying EK gave RMA on boards with this issue but I bought mine in Japan so that was not an option and regardless this issue seems pretty widespread, especially with recent type-s boards - but have seen a fair few cases of it on older ones too.

It's definitely not air escaping as suggested in this thread, it must be something to do with the silencing pads - linked to the fact that the keys feel much 'tighter' on the type-s compared to the regular HHKB.

I actually emailed PFU shortly after receiving the board. They got back to me and basically said that it's normal for the type-s and after using the board for some time it will go away - so who knows if that will happen or not. I think that it has gotten slightly better after using the board for a few weeks, but only by a very small amount. I was planning to lube my type-s anyway, so it will be interesting to see if this helps this whooshing at all.

What do you mean with the Type-S being 'tighter'? And what difference would lube make? What are you trying to accomplish by lubing: smoother feel? Less 'scratchiness' feeling?

As my gf is using my HHKB Pro 2 (not Type S) and most likely wants to keep it, I want to buy another HHKB and I am hesitating between HHKB normal and Type-S. But reading all these comments here makes me wanna stick to the normal version, which I already like.

Has anybody something to say about the feel of the Type-S compared to the normal version? Does it feel different? And how? Actuation force, travel, anything. I need to be sure as I am in Europe, so I have to order from EK AND pay import tax AND international shipping.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline cphead

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 14:31:18 »
Just wanted to give an update now that I've had my type-s for a while - it's definitely quieter and no longer makes the air sound, so I think it just took some breaking in. For anyone else who has this issue: don't lose hope on your journey to oneness with almighty cup rubber.  ;)

Offline osi

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 14:40:42 »
Just wanted to give an update now that I've had my type-s for a while - it's definitely quieter and no longer makes the air sound, so I think it just took some breaking in. For anyone else who has this issue: don't lose hope on your journey to oneness with almighty cup rubber.  ;)

Good to know!! Glad you worked it out

Offline minority

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 21:00:08 »
hopefully info!
Keyboard is not only switch