Author Topic: Compressed air can alternatives  (Read 10811 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Compressed air can alternatives
« on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:18:23 »
What do you guys like to use in lieu of compressed air cans/dusters to clean your keyboard, pc and other stuff?

I've heard the Metro Vacuum ED500 is quite popular. Is it any good?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Compressed air can alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:19:59 »
street walkers
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:24:34 »
Well I got a big soft brush from the guys over at techkeys. It's really soft with long bristles and gets in between all the gaps, but some of the bristles have been falling out, as is the problem with all brushes i guess. It also collapses down to be only about 2 inches long which is cool.

Although if you are soley looking for suction/blowing devices, the above is not helpful.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:26:56 »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:29:31 »
metro vac products are ridiculously good at blowing and sucking up weird stuff out of keyboards and heatsinks and other small orificed stuff.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 07:31:50 »
For awhile there, I was going to the gas station down the street and using their compressed at a $1 a pop.  But maybe it's time to upgrade to one of those data vac things.  And I could use it for household duties as well!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 07:59:00 »
street walkers

Sucking is always better than blowing.

Try not to drive grit deeper in than it already is.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 11:21:40 »
The household vacuum cleaner...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 17:11:42 »
The household vacuum cleaner

Of course, this is the correct answer. I was just being flip before.

I even fabricated a small nozzle using mostly plastic tubing and duct tape, but there is little alternative to a multi-step approach with vacuuming first and wiping several times afterwards.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 17:48:37 »
datavac, literally use it as a leaf blower for the porch. i also used it to clean out my wifes computer, she was working in a chocolate factory and it was CAKED (lol) with powder, i took out to the porch and blew into it with the datavac, the snow became brown... kinda looks like an accident.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:10:58 »
datavac, literally use it as a leaf blower for the porch. i also used it to clean out my wifes computer, she was working in a chocolate factory and it was CAKED (lol) with powder, i took out to the porch and blew into it with the datavac, the snow became brown... kinda looks like an accident.

A different kind of human-made cake.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 05:19:25 »
I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CJHGLFK

A friend of mine has the non-esd version and it works great.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 05:31:45 »
I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CJHGLFK

A friend of mine has the non-esd version and it works great.
Yes i have the non-esd version, works great for the price, but you can get better ones if you pay more.
Here are the four main versions they are selling, with different wind speeds and specifications.
http://www.canlessair.com/Buy-Canless-Air-System-O2-Hurricane

The one i have (the cheapest one) works really well for cleaning anything, used it a couple of times on my radiator in my computer and it really gets all the dust out quick.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:06:21 »
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-33-gallon-vertical-air-compressor/p-00916572000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

It's slightly more than needed LOL, but it works very well.  The original purpose I bought it for was for working on cars, but one day when I was in the garage looking for canned air I realized that I had something better.  Actually my power supply fan spins so hard when I'm cleaning it with this that the LEDs actually light up.  You also don't have to worry about freezing stuff.  Axle nuts no longer require a six foot breaker bar either.  You can also buy attachments for pressure washing, painting, etc.

Offline kaz

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 20:55:28 »
Dishwasher
Cherry G80-11800 (Workhorse) | Cherry G80-11900 | \'93 IBM Model M | Apple M0116

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:02:01 »
Armor All AA255 wet/dry utility vacuum. At around $30, it's much cheaper than the dedicated electronic vacuums, but it comes with small attachments and has good suction.

I replaced all the moving parts in the light engine of my DLP TV a few weeks ago, and this did a bang up job of getting out all of the dust as I dismantled it. I'll never use a blower again.

As someone mentioned earlier, you don't want to force those microscopically sharp dust particles deep into your electronics and moving parts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:04:52 by Techno Trousers »

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 17:00:50 »
also recommend the datavac

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline compgeke

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 00:48:42 »
I use an electric leaf blower for my computer and such. If I need to clean my keyboard I either do a wipe down with a rag or a complete teardown and clean.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:39:03 »
It important to think about esd. Most of the solutions that are suggested here are not antiesd at all. As previously stated I would use an hurricane (esd-version).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:03:14 »
Geekhack, y u mek mi want to buy tingz?

I now feel like this is a mandatory purchase.

A co-worker was sent a sample of this "Cyber Clean" goo stuff that you mash into a keyboard and pics up a good amount of the dirt that's in there. Investing in a nice datavac is probably the best idea.

Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:30:34 »
I have mkawa's old Datavac. It's great but it's so loud that it scares me every time I turn it on.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:40:53 »
i use a datavac at the office and it is pretty awesome. so i agree with others that it is awesome.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:58:38 »
my new datavac is 4hp (it's an MDV-3 modified). there is nothing can it can't blow the crap out of or suck into the bag. highly highly recommend a datavac.

and yes, you can get all ESD safe tools for datavacs. i have the ESD safe hose and brush sold directly by metro vac. the ESD hose is, in addition to being conductive, much much nicer than the stock hose. love the thing.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:56:15 »
my new datavac is 4hp (it's an MDV-3 modified). there is nothing can it can't blow the crap out of or suck into the bag. highly highly recommend a datavac.

and yes, you can get all ESD safe tools for datavacs. i have the ESD safe hose and brush sold directly by metro vac. the ESD hose is, in addition to being conductive, much much nicer than the stock hose. love the thing.

Nice that they have an esd hose. Weird that it is not standard when its called datavac.

The LAN table!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 20:47:32 »
there is a model that comes with the esd hose and brush. the reast of the tools are non contact so the es surfe concerns remains as always the possibility of high velocity air on a surface building charge

Offline osi

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:16:22 »
One vote for the datavac right here.

It's a bit loud but works great. If you used canned air a lot, it's easily worth the investment.

Offline aref

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:34:10 »
I use a soft, synthetic-bristle shaving brush and an antistatic cleaner (iKlear) when I close out the day.

Every so often I take my 87U apart and give it a more thorough cleaning. My K65 is an exposed keybaord,
the platen is just under the key caps, so there's no reason to disassemble the case for a thorough cleaning.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:06:05 »
It's like I'm walking on sunshine

Offline wthefourth

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:30:24 »
I've used my Datavac pretty regularly over the last 2ish years and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

Datavac is love. Datavac is life.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:12:17 »
why can't we just use vacuum cleaner?
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:24:12 »
why can't we just use vacuum cleaner?

air can=out
vacuum cleaner=in

Offline Lanx

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 15:52:02 »
i datavac and have my vacuum running at the same time to suck the massive amount of dust being blown away.

Offline metal1091

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 09:00:19 »
Back when I used to play alot of paintball i would use one of my compressed air tanks with a old air source adapter to emulate a can of compressed air. and i would just refill the tank every weekend when i was playing at the field since air is free

Offline Coreda

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 09:39:37 »
i datavac and have my vacuum running at the same time to suck the massive amount of dust being blown away.

I'd like to try the DataVac, have heard good things about it for cleaning boards. Would prefer something as powerful that sucked air though. Just today tried using the vacuum cleaner to remove some dust build-up inside my PC case (the fans are currently set to exhaust) but didn't make a difference. If there were something I could use to effectively clean the hard-to-reach areas I'd consider continuing using an exhaust setup.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:49:51 »
the datavac mdv series has air output and input. it's just a gigantic turbine in a cylinder.

the problem with using a normal vacuum cleaner is that they can't blow with the pressure that the datavac does (3psi, insane flow), so they can't blow dust out of say heatsinks, and then they don't have esd safe vacuum attachments so you can't vacuum off of things.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:39:27 »
It is preferable to draw air away from the keyboard rather than to blow air onto it. In particular, beware of industrial-strength air compressors or "house air" in labs, etc., as these often contain oil mist from the compressor. If you are in a lab setting, you can use the house vacuum (with a trap) or a water aspirator pump (with a trap).

Offline Lanx

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:38:44 »

I'd like to try the DataVac, have heard good things about it for cleaning boards. Would prefer something as powerful that sucked air though. Just today tried using the vacuum cleaner to remove some dust build-up inside my PC case (the fans are currently set to exhaust) but didn't make a difference. If there were something I could use to effectively clean the hard-to-reach areas I'd consider continuing using an exhaust setup.

just buy one datavac it's 60 bucks and everyone household should have one just like every household has a vacuum cleaner.

like i said, i use it to dust, especially my new apartment, i have ****ing window like panes on my ceiling! wtf? all these crevices on my ceiling, there is no dust wipe on a pole that works well, not a datavac tho! i also have 3 ceiling fans!

you'll find a use for it eventually.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 23:13:30 »
It is preferable to draw air away from the keyboard rather than to blow air onto it. In particular, beware of industrial-strength air compressors or "house air" in labs, etc., as these often contain oil mist from the compressor. If you are in a lab setting, you can use the house vacuum (with a trap) or a water aspirator pump (with a trap).
most modern house-sized compressors are oil-less and use fluorinated polymer coatings on all motion assemblies. shop air that isn't driving air tools is generally assumed to be "clean and dry", and air that drives air tools is assumed to be clean and dry with lubricant aspiration. long ago, this may not have been true, but modern resins make it much cheaper to build filter, coalescer and lubricant aspiration assemblies that are compact and have high WPs.

anyway, the metro datavac series uses filtered air (more so with the mdv series, with fine toner bags and hepa filters available), and is low enough pressure that it doesn't need a coalescing filter. as for sucking vs blowing (sigh, go off and do your tittering kids..), sucking up small particles requires increasing pressure somehow, while blowing off small particles can be done with high velocity, so generally, blowing is better than sucking for clearing out obscured assemblies.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:49:53 »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 00:42:27 »
http://www.canlessair.com/

agreed, I have mentioned their products earlier in this thread.

The LAN table!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 15:57:38 »
kay sweet.
I waited 6 months just for this to go on sale so i could save 10-15 bucks.

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75
YES!

Wait what's the difference between the Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac vs Metro Vacuum ED500P?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 16:07:50 »
On sale where?

I love this Amazon review:
[...] ordered what I thought was... well... a vacuum. I was pretty surprised when I hooked it up and a VERY powerful burst of air shot out of this thing. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so surprised had I not been trying to vacuum glitter from my son's art table. On the bright side, I now know what figurines in a snow globe feel like.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 September 2014, 16:19:59 by jacobolus »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 20:10:50 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43537.0

The datavac

How the hell have I not heard of this yet?! This looks amazing! I'm used to being able to use my Dad's compressor, this looks like a great alternative.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 02:21:38 »
So received my Datavac (I know, finally). Is there anything regarding safety of system components I need to know before I use it? Would rather take some precautions, as I'm unsure how pressurized the air is.

Offline osi

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 08:33:59 »
So received my Datavac (I know, finally). Is there anything regarding safety of system components I need to know before I use it? Would rather take some precautions, as I'm unsure how pressurized the air is.

Just watch for overheating of the data-vac while in use. Nothing out of the ordinary for safety issues. Enjoy!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:27:20 »
The power of this thing is wonderful. Blew all the surface dust out of my machine within a few seconds. Used a q-tip and alcohol for some of the harder areas.

Had to wear headphones to block some of the noise, this thing is pretty loud up close.

Overall happy with the purchase. The force of the air was satisfying to use, and cleaned a few other things with it, too. Will be using to more easily clean my keyboard in the future as well.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 15:21:28 »
*WARNING*

I have heard of using the datavac on a PC fan will mess it up if it spins the wrong way? This is the only negative I've ever heard, and as a precaution, i point the tip away from the fans. Specifically the power is so awesome that ppl just point the datavac at the fan and let it free spin like crazy and this causes "something".

What i do is just put my hand on the fan so it doesn't spin, i don't know if it's true, i've seen a few "omg my fans broke after datavac (vacuum cleaner)" so that's what i do.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 15:27:57 »
The intake filter at the bottom of the datavac can get blocked up pretty quickly, so check it after heavy use.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 15:31:09 »
I picked up a datavac - works as advertised.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 06:32:59 »
*WARNING*

I have heard of using the datavac on a PC fan will mess it up if it spins the wrong way? This is the only negative I've ever heard, and as a precaution, i point the tip away from the fans. Specifically the power is so awesome that ppl just point the datavac at the fan and let it free spin like crazy and this causes "something".

What i do is just put my hand on the fan so it doesn't spin, i don't know if it's true, i've seen a few "omg my fans broke after datavac (vacuum cleaner)" so that's what i do.

Wish I had known this beforehand - I even asked for precautions... -_- Still, I'll keep it in mind next time I use it. Apparently it can damage fans as they are spinning much faster than designed for, as well as dirt can be blown into the fan bearings.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 06:35:32 by Coreda »