Author Topic: My perfect layout: modding a phantom?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline l_b

• vanutsteen.nl => nerds only
My perfect layout: modding a phantom?
« on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 16:36:29 »
I've had this layout in my head which would be perfect: http://tinyurl.com/kbd-perfect-layout

77782-0

Think of it as a poker + cursors + cursorbase.

I've been waiting on some manufacturer to make it but I'm getting impatient :)

I've started to think about using a phantom PCB and then cutting function keys of it. Would that work? I don't really now how the traces in the Phantom run.

Offline Findecanor

Re: My perfect layout: modding a phantom?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 17:17:45 »
No, it wouldn't work. The Phantom has the controller in-between the function key row and the number key row, so you would be cutting it away.

If you go full tenkeyless, you would have more options for cases.

An alternative would be to get on the Red Scarf II GH/DT Edition group order when it opens. It is like a Poker + numeric keypad on the right without any spacing, but you could map it any way you like, so you could get a layout like yours except for a full key's horizontal spacing between the arrow keys and the main keys.
Other features include backlighting and compatibility with Hasu's popular TMK firmware.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 September 2014, 17:19:27 by Findecanor »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 17:45:38 »
What about getting a 60% PCB and adding rows/colums to it for the extra 10 keys on the right?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:11:41 »
Or... Get a plate from a keyboard (or make one), cut off what you don't need and mount switches that you wire up directly with wires and diodes.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:35:41 »
Or... Get a plate from a keyboard (or make one), cut off what you don't need and mount switches that you wire up directly with wires and diodes.

^^This. Cut a plate from a TKL and direct wire the switches to a Teensy 2.0. You can modify the Phantom firmware or tweak one of the other Teensy 2.0 board firmwares.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.