Author Topic: Razer to release their own keyswitch  (Read 82757 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Razer to release their own keyswitch
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:11:07 »
And the link to orange stems I was talking about:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.11.GTHRCF&id=38092238535

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:48:25 »

Mother of god. Beautiful pile of orange.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #352 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:49:43 »
It's the same as the pink, just a different color.  It's likely the same as the Razer switches too.  I should be getting some of the pink ones in sometime in the future and I'll be giving my impressions of them and some other Kaihl/Kaihu switches.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 02:18:19 »
It's the same as the pink, just a different color.  It's likely the same as the Razer switches too.  I should be getting some of the pink ones in sometime in the future and I'll be giving my impressions of them and some other Kaihl/Kaihu switches.

Sounds great! I thought of getting the pink and yellow.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #354 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 02:24:54 »

Such orange!

Many brightness.

Very Dustin ;)

Wow!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mcbrite

« Reply #355 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:46:29 »
So is the TOTAL travel of these switches any less than normal?

And if it isn't: With the patent on Cherry Switches running out, is there a manufacturer that is currently selling or planning to sell switches like that?

My ideal switch would be either a blue switch with 20g less actuation force or a red switch with 10g less force AND either of them with shortened travel...

Never understood why the travel on any switch is so far... 2/3 to 1/2 the travel sounds about right to me...

I don't keep up with keyboards THAT deep, so if anybody has any info for me on that, it would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:49:14 »
So is the TOTAL travel of these switches any less than normal?

And if it isn't: With the patent on Cherry Switches running out, is there a manufacturer that is currently selling or planning to sell switches like that?

My ideal switch would be either a blue switch with 20g less actuation force or a red switch with 10g less force AND either of them with shortened travel...

Never understood why the travel on any switch is so far... 2/3 to 1/2 the travel sounds about right to me...

I don't keep up with keyboards THAT deep, so if anybody has any info for me on that, it would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!
Cherry patents are already expried, that is why these switches and many others are possible. As for your ideal switch, that is certainly..unique.. I do not think the switches would even function well with that light of a spring inside of it. You can essentially shorten the switches travel with o rings though.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:14:46 »
So I've tried the demo unit at a local shop.  I have to say..... the Razer Green (MX Blue) actually feels better than MX Blue !!!

I know it sounds surprising, I was surprised too when I was testing it.  It feels more tactile like ALPS, also with less wobble.  Though at the same time it also feel heavier to press than MX Blue.

I guess we need more samples for reliability but so far I think it's actually not too bad (aside from their ridiculous marketing).

Oh and I can't notice the 0.3 mm shorter travel.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline mougrim

« Reply #358 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:03:01 »
Oh well... we'll see. We sure need some variety. At least Kailh switches don't break now like they used in the past...
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 02:10:17 »
So I've tried the demo unit at a local shop.  I have to say..... the Razer Green (MX Blue) actually feels better than MX Blue !!!

I know it sounds surprising, I was surprised too when I was testing it.  It feels more tactile like ALPS, also with less wobble.  Though at the same time it also feel heavier to press than MX Blue.

I guess we need more samples for reliability but so far I think it's actually not too bad (aside from their ridiculous marketing).

Oh and I can't notice the 0.3 mm shorter travel.  :P

also to take the throne of lightweight click switch king the razer must maintain its satisfaction long term.  dont get me wrong fat tire is an excellent beer but i dont want to drink two in a row if ya know what i mean.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline claydough

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:26:56 »
It's been awhile...
any consensus on the switch?
Was going to get the ultimate when they used blues but couldn't stand the green LED and didn't want to MOD.
Now that the RGB models will let my aging eyes see in my preference of red ( plus I like the style of the widow ultimate compared to safe deck/ducky offerings but not garish like the mech asio )
Not that I think Razer makes good looking gamerz product but with all the Razer hate is it too much to admit that the new widow is a "good looking" design finally?
Are we allowed to have any style yet or must all keyboards be standard layout n square?
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:29:09 by claydough »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:57:40 »
The look of Razer boards was never the real problem, although it's flashy in my opinion. The font is also terrible. But hey if you like it...
The main problem with Razer is rather the built quality.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:29:28 »
I agree with BlueBar. Razer, imo, has bad build quality and quality assurance. Their products might look really cool and innovative, but when you get one in your hands, it's sub par with other things you could've gotten.

I got one of their flagship mice once, and the right click took -10 grams to push down so I was always hitting it. Not related to keyboards, I know. But just saying I don't trust their workmanship. It might be good. Idk.

Offline claydough

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 06:28:01 »
No consensus on how the new switch actually turned out yet? I guess it needs to stand the test of time.
Problem is I have no incentive in price to take the the chance when the price remains the same.
will wait another year and see how the build quality holds up.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:38:05 »
No consensus on how the new switch actually turned out yet? I guess it needs to stand the test of time.
Problem is I have no incentive in price to take the the chance when the price remains the same.
will wait another year and see how the build quality holds up.

If you haven't read through this thread yet, I'd take a look. This guy had some sound issues with several keys with razer switches.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62819.msg1471118#msg1471118

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:43:15 »
I've had a chance to try out some of the Razer switches, but never for a long period of time. Neither the green nor the orange feel like the Kalih Blues or Oranges. The Greens feel like they're the Kalih Blues but the click doesn't always click in my experience. In terms of actuation, the switch is a little lighter than MX Blues if I recall correctly. The Oranges also have a similar tactile feeling to MX Browns but a little less. There's not too much tactility in my opinion. Both switches felt sticky, like if you pressed down and the switch doesn't reset right away.

If I were to buy a Kalih switch, I would not go for the Razer ones. Instead, I prefer the Kalih Blues or Browns. I am especially surprised with the Kalih Brown switches.