Author Topic: Look what I found (Monterey K108)  (Read 5260 times)

Offline mougrim

Look what I found (Monterey K108)
« on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:08:23 »
Well, I was rummaging in a closet at my work where under pile ot PC detritus I found this curious AT/XT board. From the label on the back I understood it called Monterey K108.

First I thought this was one of that mass-produced rubber-domed boatds from AT era, but when I pressed a few buttons, it felt all nice and clicky. Board was rather dirty from a long use on industrial PC (probably), but apart from that legends on buttons are almost pristine. Latin symbols are probably sublimated-printed, but Cyrillic ones just printed on top of keys - pretty ****ty, but not worn off.

Haven't tested it yet, so I dunno if it still work - my AT to PS/2 adapter will arrive only next week. But if not...can it be restored the same way some do with old Model F?

As for feeling I get from switches... it's pretty much like ALPS ones. Is it ALPS or some Chinese rip-off?

Anyway, is this board any good?

IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Look what I found (Monterey K108)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:38:49 »
Pull  a keycap and see what is underneath.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mougrim

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:35:08 »
Pull  a keycap and see what is underneath.
Done. Yep, it definitely Alps mount, but I googled about this keyboard, and finally remembered about Desktority. So - it's almost definitely SMK Alps mount switches. Well... Not bad, I suppose.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:43:37 »
Monterey blue switches have a lot of fans. I haven't had a chance to try them myself though. Enjoy!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:50:10 »
As for feeling I get from switches... it's pretty much like ALPS ones. Is it ALPS or some Chinese rip-off?

Anyway, is this board any good?
I really like those alps-mount SMK (“monterey blue”) switches a lot.

If you clean that board up, you should be able to get $80-100 for it on ebay without much trouble, but I recommend just keeping it and using it.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/SMK_Alps_mount

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:52:22 »
nice find, k108 has monterey blues, thats a great looking board.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:14:02 »
Monterey blue switches have a lot of fans. I haven't had a chance to try them myself though. Enjoy!
Well, for now I'm armed with a lot of wet towelettes and planning to clean it all from up to down. But later, when I'll get my AT - PS/2 adapter, I definitely want to try it out. It has very crispy, clean click and require a lot less pressure to activate than my Unicomp BS. Well... I almost definitely remain with Unicomp board, but it's nice to have at hand Monterey one.

But I still don't know if it's work. Well... hope it is so.

I really like those alps-mount SMK (“monterey blue”) switches a lot.

If you clean that board up, you should be able to get $80-100 for it on ebay without much trouble, but I recommend just keeping it and using it.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/SMK_Alps_mount

No way I'm selling it. Well, definitely not now. It was such a sudden find - like a hidden gem in pile of rubbish :) So I'm gonna clean it up, test it and maybe in future I'll think about USB mod.

I'll post some photos when it'll be nice and clean.

By the way - anyone know about Monterey keycaps? They are due-sublimated or just printed?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:45:42 »
If you want to fully clean that sucker, you could carefully remove the keycaps (especially be careful of the big enter, as it probably has 2 stabilizer wires under there) and dunk them in a container full of water with a few denture tabs, let them soak for a few hours, then replace the water and add some dish soap and swirl them around to remove the residue from the denture tabs and any remaining dirt, then rinse them and leave them to dry. Then you could unscrew all the screws on the back and remove the 2 pieces of the case, and wash those with some soap and water and let them dry. On the plate, the spaces between switches can probably just be wiped down with your towelettes or whatever.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:52:49 »
If you want to fully clean that sucker, you could carefully remove the keycaps (especially be careful of the big enter, as it probably has 2 stabilizer wires under there) and dunk them in a container full of water with a few denture tabs, let them soak for a few hours, then replace the water and add some dish soap and swirl them around to remove the residue from the denture tabs and any remaining dirt, then rinse them and leave them to dry. Then you could unscrew all the screws on the back and remove the 2 pieces of the case, and wash those with some soap and water and let them dry. On the plate, the spaces between switches can probably just be wiped down with your towelettes or whatever.
Thank for advice! Today I'll probably just wipe what I can from case with aforementioned towelettes and then remove and wipe all alphabetical/numerical keys. But tomorrow, when I'll remember where I put my screwdrivers...

Yep. Big keys can be tricky... Especially that bad-ass enter key :) 

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 15:34:54 »
Yeah, I like monterey blues too. The actuation point is closer in location to cherry blues, than alps though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 15:40:33 »
By the way - anyone know about Monterey keycaps? They are due-sublimated or just printed?

80s and 90s pad printing (assuming that's what it is) was always uncoated thick ink, which is gloss and distinctly raised:

56729-0

Dye-sublimation printing has the keycap's own matte surface, and is completely smooth. Check the underside of a keycap to make sure it's not doubleshot, as that was more common than dye-sub.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline mougrim

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 16:10:25 »
Dye-sublimation printing has the keycap's own matte surface, and is completely smooth. Check the underside of a keycap to make sure it's not doubleshot, as that was more common than dye-sub.

Nah, it's not doubleshot, I checked. And after that I compared it with my Unicomp board - which has sublimated-printed keycaps. I think it just printed over - mind, letters are not very raised, but definitely glossy... Still, it's printed pretty good...

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 09:48:02 »
Vintage pad printing is decent in terms of appearance. I can't comment on durability — while it's true that most keyboards you find have no worn legends, it may simply be that all those with worn legends simply got thrown away!
Bore Awards

Offline mougrim

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 09:55:25 »
Vintage pad printing is decent in terms of appearance. I can't comment on durability — while it's true that most keyboards you find have no worn legends, it may simply be that all those with worn legends simply got thrown away!
Well, it looks pretty decent, yes. And judging on all that dirt it seen pretty heavy use... Maybe at that time all keyboards with worn legends really got thrown away... But at that time in my country it was simply too expensive to just throw up. Hell, I saw some keyboards with worn legends which were "repainted" by hand. But it was long ago...

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:59:34 »
nice find. I use a similar keyboard with monteray switches for my daily driver.  I did a cable swap from 5 pin din to ps2 from a random gateway rubber dome keyboard I had. 

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline mougrim

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 16:22:54 »
nice find. I use a similar keyboard with monteray switches for my daily driver.  I did a cable swap from 5 pin din to ps2 from a random gateway rubber dome keyboard I had.
Well, I'll test it when I'll get my adapter. Then - I have some derelict ps/2 rubberdome keyboards too :)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 03:17:04 »
Well... it works... kinda. Not all keys are  registering, though. Well... that not the case. They ARE registering, but some of them - only after bottoming with force. And then they could be registered as doubles. Still going to clean it up, though, but... This is disturbing. What the problem could be?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 06:12:44 »
Oh boy.

With Alps switches, you can open the top and reseat all the parts, and remove any dirt that's got inside. SMK switches don't come apart that easily — you need to remove the PCB first, I think, and they're hell to get back together.
Bore Awards

Offline mougrim

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 06:16:43 »
Oh boy.

With Alps switches, you can open the top and reseat all the parts, and remove any dirt that's got inside. SMK switches don't come apart that easily — you need to remove the PCB first, I think, and they're hell to get back together.

I think this is dirt, yes. It works... just not very good.