Author Topic: [GB] 16ga metal ergodox cases -- Shipping R2 recommencing  (Read 86204 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: 16ga metal ergodox (Getting quote "soon" for round two)
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 20:07:37 »
Don't stress until you get about 20k in.

Offline witbliz

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 11:09:04 »
Just wanted to say - Thanks AKmalamute for having Round 2 and giving us non-us a chance to own this :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 13:49:36 »
received mine yesterday! The "one off" 0.5 case was a little lower in quality, but looked fine after I filed / sanded the offending areas. I then sanded the top with some spare 100 grit I found in a drawer for aestheetic appeal. Looks great!

I'm arranging repayment now. Thanks so much!

I'm also getting like 30 M3 nuts to finish up the case :P

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:14:02 »
received mine yesterday! The "one off" 0.5 case was a little lower in quality, but looked fine after I filed / sanded the offending areas. I then sanded the top with some spare 100 grit I found in a drawer for aestheetic appeal. Looks great!

I'm arranging repayment now. Thanks so much!

I'm also getting like 30 M3 nuts to finish up the case :P

I hope you take some pictures of the installation process. And the final outcome.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:24:38 »
please, could you list all of us tha are in R2?
I did signed in the order form but I would like to be sure ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:19:45 »
I've updated post #3, but still waiting since before round one: Tarzan / ShrapneL / Glod (and JD's should be shipping this week. I hope. Seriously I hope so.)

Entered also, for round two are agodinhost, latin00032 & lugoues. I'll clearly need to edit my form to give a place to enter receiving country so I know how much shipping to charge. These things don't quite neatly fit into any of our "flat rate" boxes the postal service provides and I don't mind at all hunting down boxes on my own but it means the charge is strictly by weight and distance traveled.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:33:04 »
...JD's should be shipping this week. I hope. Seriously I hope so.

Nice, thank you!

Maybe agodinhost would want me to proxy shipping to him with his other things I have. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:35:42 »
Good to know.  If the stainless minimal case isn't to pricy I'll probably pick up one.  Kind of scary I could have all the parts to build one and come in a bit cheaper than Mass Drop and likely see it all sooner than later...lol :D
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:48:20 »
Maybe agodinhost would want me to proxy shipping to him with his other things I have. ;)
Yes Sir!!
If you don't mind ...
 :D

There is any chance to cut any filler material for the pcb bottom and the space between the plate and the pcb guys?
Anything like silicone, rubber or foam ...
The thing is that I hate this spaces - it is a black hole of dust and dirty stuff. I assembled one ergodox these last days using Moz acrylic case (8 layers, 18mm high) and it was a PITA to cut by hand some rubber sheet to fill in these gaps.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:00:23 by agodinhost »
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:55:41 »
Yes Sir!!
If you don't mind ...

Duly noted. Was going to ask about that address entry before I invoiced anybody but JD has explained it. N/P and I hope it will be done and to him before May is out. But this project manager ... </rolls eyes>

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline yuiop

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:29:43 »
Will the prices change dramatically from what it says on the order form?  I'm assuming those prices don't include spacer layers?
Also how many spacer layers do we need for a minimalist case?  Thanks in advance.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 20:15:49 »
Will the prices change dramatically from what it says on the order form?  I'm assuming those prices don't include spacer layers?
Also how many spacer layers do we need for a minimalist case?  Thanks in advance.

Currently the order form has guesstimates that don't include ANY shipping values. I *think* the space kit (seven pieces for each hand) will run about $20 in aluminum but we'll find out hopefully tomorrow. Anyway no that's separate also.

As to how many you'll need, I think you need to visualize what you're trying to do with them. My vision for the minimalist would have used I think two, (or three?) between PCB and bottom piece. You may want another two to fit between the PCB and the switch plate for dust resistance and torsional strength.

Myself I'm still toying with the idea of buying silicone sheets and cutting it to shape with a razor, but I've also ordered the spacer kit in SS so I guess I'm going that route for now.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:32:01 »
My vision for the minimalist would have used I think two, (or three?) between PCB and bottom piece. You may want another two to fit between the PCB and the switch plate for dust resistance and torsional strength.
I like this idea.
+1

Myself I'm still toying with the idea of buying silicone sheets and cutting it to shape with a razor, but I've also ordered the spacer kit in SS so I guess I'm going that route for now.
hmmm, I did cuted it too but I forgot to reduce the hole sizes to squeeze the switches in. Would be better, IMHO, to use one special cut to better fit the switches taking into consideration the elasticity of the selected material (otherwise we will ending up with gaps into this sheet and the dammed dust will enter anyway).
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:49:36 by agodinhost »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
further delays
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:50:41 »
So, here's today's update: the quote isn't done, but he says he will have it by end-of-today, so if that happens, I can at least open R2 by the weekend. He sounded pretty sure, but he didn't blink at the next thing, either, which surprised me a little: "The already-ordered spacers?" 'They'll be in Tuesday.' So no pictures this weekend of what the completed case looks like because of delays I wasn't expecting.

Ah, well. I suppose this is why this shop is cheaper. Quality worksmanship but not so much quality in businessmanship; everything is a week late.

More when I know about it.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 14:18:07 »
Yo AK, once the final prices are in expect an order from me.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: 16ga metal ergodox (Getting quote &quot;soon&quot; for round two)
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 19:18:40 »
I hope I get in round 2.

Offline tER299

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 00:17:16 »
Will there be an anodized version of the aluminum case?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 22:31:14 »
Will there be an anodized version of the aluminum case?
Not by me. I'm frustrated enough dealing with one company's supply chain.

Anodizing is, I'm told, a fairly easy process for shops that provide it -- ask around I guess, and get the aluminum to the shop of your choice when it comes in.

Edit Friday night 5/2: no update. I'm frustrated and sorry for you guys, but recall that I am dealing with this particular shop not because the prices are great ... but because they've been the most responsive metalworking shop I've talked to, and that assessment remains true I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 May 2014, 22:46:16 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Lugoues

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 21:30:49 »
My vision for the minimalist would have used I think two, (or three?) between PCB and bottom piece. You may want another two to fit between the PCB and the switch plate for dust resistance and torsional strength.
I like this idea.
+1
+2!
Top, bottom, and some between the pcb and sheets, or see how it looks keeping the plexi there, who knows. Sounds awesome! Let me know if I need to update the order form for R2, but more than happy to buy a full set if that is what is required.

Offline oystein.krog

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 15:11:29 »
Here is my current ergodox with this case:

https://plus.google.com/113252364984901542714/posts/ge88Ry9HH8G

Offline yuiop

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 16:04:48 »
That looks great! Thanks for sharing the pic.
What are you using as standoffs?  M3 nuts?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 19:48:06 »
When round 2 begins, is there a way to get an extra top layer for both hands?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 22:52:03 »
When round 2 begins, is there a way to get an extra top layer for both hands?
No promises, but I'll see what I can do. I can't move forward though until I get those quotes in, which should reveal something about the internal pricing structure.

Thank you, oystein.krog for the album -- I'm waiting on some switches and I still haven't connected the two halves with anything so I have no keyboard to take pictures of.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline oystein.krog

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 10:14:25 »
Something I've noticed, the aluminium gets scratched very easily.
I am contemplating treating the top layer in some way... powdercoating or electrolyzing I guess?
Does anyone have experience with that? What is most durable?
Alternatively I might use an acrylic top layer, I really quite like the white color of the case from czarek that I used previously.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 May 2014, 13:40:49 by oystein.krog »

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 13:01:03 »
Someone had pics of a skeletonized look with smoky acrylic top plates that looked stunning imho.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 13:37:11 »
Something I've noticed, the aluminium gets scratched very easily.
I am contemplating treating the top layer in some way... powdercoating or electrolyzing I guess? [...]

No experience, but I'm giving serious consideration to treating my SS case with spray-on bedliner. It would give a unique texture and I'd probably like the look. Not sold on that idea 100% so bare metal sits waiting for me to buy keyswitches.

Oh! Small update! I spoke with the manager who (again) said he'd get the quote to me by the end of the day, and he thinks that the spacers, that will complete round 1, were cut last night but-hes-not-sure-he-will-check-and-get-back-with-me.

So not really an update as I haven't seen anything but I'm getting just a little excited knowing it might be moving forward.

EDIT May 9th I've spoken to the manager. Again. Still no quote, but not only has he been sick it's been going around the office/floor so everything's behind and ... they broke the laser. Yes, again. Turns out it's a 6kW thing that uses a $5K Opal head as a concentrator, and they broke three of them last night on the job RIGHT BEFORE MINE (referring to JD's spacer to complete his and The_Chemist's order)

I've emphasized that I want the quote done for the rest of you all, and he thinks he can get the laser online tomorrow, resulting in Monday cutting and Tuesday for DA sanding, or something close to that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 May 2014, 16:19:01 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline oystein.krog

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 12:31:10 »
Something I just noticed; the stabilizer mount holes (for the thumb keys) on all my plates all just a little bit too small on one side.
This means that when you install the black cherry stabilizer mounts they are squeezed together too much, which in turn means that the white key inserts do not slide smoothly and the keys become completely stuck.
I'll be able to fix this easily just by removing some material, but it might be worth trying to fix for round two.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 19:08:05 »
interesting. I used cherry platemounted stabs with no issue.

Also, I figured out the perfect size standoff spacer to use.

I got a few sets of these and they're perfect. Looks like an epsilon now :p
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360878496378?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 19:31:38 »
Something I just noticed; the stabilizer mount holes (for the thumb keys) on all my plates all just a little bit too small on one side.
This means that when you install the black cherry stabilizer mounts they are squeezed together too much, which in turn means that the white key inserts do not slide smoothly and the keys become completely stuck.
I'll be able to fix this easily just by removing some material, but it might be worth trying to fix for round two.

Sounds like you are describing costar stabilizers not cherry stabs.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 07:33:40 »

Yeah I was so confused then realized he's probably talking about costar stab.

My beast poker plate had the same issue with stabs.  Neither costar or cherry pcb/plate stabs would fit.  I ended up filing down the corners slightly and used cherry pcb stabs.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 07:39:03 »
interesting. I used cherry platemounted stabs with no issue.

Also, I figured out the perfect size standoff spacer to use.

I got a few sets of these and they're perfect. Looks like an epsilon now :p
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360878496378?

Thanks for the link.  I might get a few sets as well.
Do you have a pic you can share by any chance? :D

Offline oystein.krog

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 08:03:06 »

My beast poker plate had the same issue with stabs.  Neither costar or cherry pcb/plate stabs would fit.  I ended up filing down the corners slightly and used cherry pcb stabs.

Ah ok, I am indeed trying to use costar stabilizers since they were the only ones I was able to find.
I've not yet done any modifications to the plate... what would the best option for stabilizers be?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 10:42:37 »
stabs are totally unnecessary on the ergodox, just sayin....

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 12:47:37 »
yup, I Never used it too.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 14:40:24 »

Ah ok, I am indeed trying to use costar stabilizers since they were the only ones I was able to find.
I've not yet done any modifications to the plate... what would the best option for stabilizers be?

You might want to find out exactly what's causing the keys to get stuck.  With costar stabs, it's usually because plate is too thick and the stab clips are not seated properly.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.msg898724#msg898724

If Cherry stabs (pcb or plate mounted) fit well you can use those instead of costars.  I personally don't like costar stabs so I'd probably use Cherry stabs regardless.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 14:58:50 »

Totally unnecessary?  I wouldn't go that far.  It may work fine without stab but they're x2 keys.  I'd personally use stabs as long as the plate/pcb allows them to be installed.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 15:06:20 »
yup, I Never used it too.

I didn't need when typing, but I find it much easier to game with stabilizers.
---

I will take some pictures of mine. I really like the look.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:37:11 »
Do you have any news AKmalamute?
I'm kinda eager to see it happening ...
and thank you for your patience and time my friend!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 12:21:54 »
Unfortunately I have no news. I've called / emailed about three times since I updated my last post last week, and have heard exactly nothing. This is not unusual, but I'm going to start the process of shopping around, seeing if there's another shop that answers emails and has a laser.

I'm sorry guys. Making a full, correct, and useful quote sheet should be the project manager's job. I don't know why its taking this long.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 22:09:38 »
Take a look into this link here.
I think it can be one alternative, just in case if your vendor burst our bubble.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 May 2014, 23:32:22 by agodinhost »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 05:36:59 »
got the pictures up. I recommend sanding the plates a little with rough sandpaper before installation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157644268864709/

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 05:37:13 »
got the pictures up. I recommend sanding the plates a little with rough sandpaper before installation.

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 05:38:49 by dorkvader »

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:36:43 »
I'm planning to paint mine with black epoxy spray ...
aweesome!

Offline yuiop

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:21:46 »

Thanks for the pics.  Looks great!

I personally don't like the internal components exposed so I'm thinking of doing something like
top layer - m3 nut - plate - pcb - 8mm spacer - bottom layer

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 11:19:07 »
I personally don't like the internal components exposed so I'm thinking of doing something like
top layer - m3 nut - plate - pcb - 8mm spacer - bottom layer
Same here. I'm planning to buy one cork rubber sheet and cut to use it as spacer.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 16:09:06 »
Still no quote, and I've sent emails to about three other local shops.

But, I did speak to a reasonable-sounding guy who said he could get a pretty full set of quotes by the end of today (that is, both full hand, and classic, both full kits, but in both metals) -- only problem is that shop doesn't have a laser anymore.

How do you guys feel about waterjet?

I suppose the costs could be offset by using a thicker metal, but that would defeat my goal of a keyswitch layer exactly as thick as Cherry called for. Of course, I've got my own case so this is for you guys.

For those put off by the costs of waterjet cutting I really am trying to make lasercutting happen, I'm just getting impatient and calling the competition -- only to be ignored by them so maybe that's the deal with this industry.

Dorkvader: thanks for the pictures! and yes, it looks good.

Edit: Well! Just got an email from a 'nearby' shop that they will respond to my inquiry
Okay, short story: I looked in the yellow pages for local shops, found one with an actual web page that says they focus on smaller, more personal machining -- call them up, he says no laser but if he were to have something cut, he'd cross the state line and go to this other shop. Call them up (hours ago) and say hey I've submitted to your web page can you acknowledge you've received it?
...that's the shop that just wrote to say they'd help me out. Way cool, as it almost comes with a recommendation.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 16:28:28 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 08:24:19 »
Waterjet is okay - but I think it would be really expensive.

3 or 4 months ago I did a local search for local stores to cut this very same ergodox case and most of my emails were not answered. I think I sent more than 30 emails and only 3 answered back, two with disgusting prices and one complaining about the file format. It seems that they don't like small runs at all ...

I'm trying to get a quote from QWERTim but he didn't answered with values yet.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 11:06:57 »
Yes, metal shops don't like small jobs, especially one-offs. Most won't even bother to call or write you back, and the ones that do will quote you a ridiculous price.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 11:13:42 »
I suppose the costs could be offset by using a thicker metal, but that would defeat my goal of a keyswitch layer exactly as thick as Cherry called for. Of course, I've got my own case so this is for you guys.
dunno about everyone else, but getting a decent plate cut would be the thing that would most likely get me to join in a second round buy. i do have some intentions for a custom wooden case (which will come after i've worked out how to hook a shift register in to the LED pins and drive an LCD display from it, so i have some work to do first) but a decent plate would be nicely re-usable when the time comes, so i'd not feel that getting one of these cases as a temporary measure was a waste.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 12:22:16 »
Well, that didn't turn out quite like I expected.

I got the quote in from the Portland shop that has a laser and promised to get back to me Friday -- They have, and it's three times the cost of the local shop I dealt with for round 1.

But, if you're in a hurry, I have a contact that can get you a classic case in aluminum for $102 shipped ... Or the full-hand for $107 (stainless costs $107 / $120)

I'll update this when / if I get the quote from the waterjet place. In the meantime, I guess I should go back to pestering the shop manager of the local shop I've dealt with before.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user