Author Topic: Hilariously Loud SSK!  (Read 3211 times)

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
Hilariously Loud SSK!
« on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 18:30:38 »
Okie dokie. So, one of my first (if not my actual first, I don't remember) bolt mod attempts was this beat up space saver over a year ago. It was perfectly functional, but didn't feel quite right to me, so it sat on the shelf until recently when I decided to give it some attention. I've been curious for a while about what a Model M would sound like without the rubber mat, so I had to try it.

It's pretty epic. :D

It's as loud or louder than a Model F. I also put an extra spring in the space bar for a little extra "Umph!". I'm not sure what (if any!) long term effect the lack of a rubber mat will have on the membrane, but it's worth it because it's super fun to type on and makes me giggle every time.

She's a little rough around the edges. I wanted it to keep a bit of a utilitarian look and feel, so it's not as polished and OCD as my other work. Nonetheless, perfectly functional and very enjoyable.

Here's a video of three boards for sound comparison.

There's a silver label terminal board that has a regular PS/2 controller in it. Normal volume.
There's a blue label that I grease modded just because I was curious. Rather quiet.
And then there's the "Loud Ass SSK." ^_^

More photos here!

(I made the extra label with IBM DisplayWrite on my Model 30 and printed it on old 20LB computer paper on my dot matrix... ;P)

Offline blackbox

Re: Hilariously Loud SSK!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 12:31:00 »
Yup, that is loud. Perfect keyboard for work.  :)
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 14:12:02 »
I actually just received khaangaaroo's bolt-modded/Teensy-modded SSK from the classifieds yesterday. I was surprised to find it was way louder than the blue label that I already had. He mentioned that he did this to it when he did the bolt mod way back, and he was also slightly concerned about long-term effects too. But we both agreed that it's really crisp and F-like. Very cool.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41757.msg900795#msg900795

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 18:14:48 »
If that is compared to the standard Model M, it must be exceedingly loud, because the Model M I am using now sounds louder than that SSK!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 11:12:26 »
you're going to destroy your membrane pretty quickly. the membrane materially really doesn't like direct contact, and too much impact will cause the conductive material to rub off.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 11:37:39 »
Maybe it'd be better to put an even thinner layer of rubber material? Or like paper or saran wrap or something? You'd probably have to check it every so often and replace as needed.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 21:53:35 »
ask unicomp for a new "blanket". they use a thin layer of latex now and not the old thick rubber pads. it allows a lot more impact without damaging the membrane.

note they only have full-sized ones. they are very easy to cut down to size with a craft knife, however.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 17:09:58 »
I actually just received khaangaaroo's bolt-modded/Teensy-modded SSK from the classifieds yesterday. I was surprised to find it was way louder than the blue label that I already had. He mentioned that he did this to it when he did the bolt mod way back, and he was also slightly concerned about long-term effects too. But we both agreed that it's really crisp and F-like. Very cool.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41757.msg900795#msg900795

Neato! Be sure to let us know if it gives up the ghost at some point!

you're going to destroy your membrane pretty quickly. the membrane materially really doesn't like direct contact, and too much impact will cause the conductive material to rub off.

I suppose some time and usage will show how quickly it goes then. Being that the older models used a thicker mylar circuit sheet than later models, maybe it will be a bit more forgiving. Either way, I'll be having some new circuit layers printed soon so it's not too big of a deal.

ask unicomp for a new "blanket". they use a thin layer of latex now and not the old thick rubber pads. it allows a lot more impact without damaging the membrane.

note they only have full-sized ones. they are very easy to cut down to size with a craft knife, however.

Very nice to know! Definitely will be ordering a few, thanks!!