Author Topic: [IC] Universal 104/108 Plate  (Read 46835 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: [IC] Universal 104/108 Plate
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 09:50:37 »
I don't qualify for the test tour but I offer any assistance I can provide.

I have pics of my Shine 2 PCB and plate when I modded it.

Offline bianco

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 09:57:52 »
will probably get a couple of pieces of this.
then hope it can fit the wasd code.

I now have a CODE I can test the plate with. That was the purpose of the test plate, to try and fit it to as many real world keyboards as possible before we make a final design and move to production. Any fitment issues can be addressed now, during the design and testing phase.

that's wonderful.
looking forward to it!

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 12:39:53 »

I'd like to see those pics. I can compare them to my G2 to see if the holes look the same. I have a feeling they are the same though. I think the shine and G2 PCBs are the same except that the G2 does not have the LED related items installed.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 20:52:57 »

I'd like to see those pics. I can compare them to my G2 to see if the holes look the same. I have a feeling they are the same though. I think the shine and G2 PCBs are the same except that the G2 does not have the LED related items installed.

Here's the pics:

PCB-front:
61164-0

PCB-rear:
61166-1

Plate:
61168-2

Since the keyboard has been assembled, I can only take additional pictures of the PCB rear, plate with switches, and the inside of the case if needed.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:35:42 »
Thanks for those pics infiniti. I just compared my 9008G2 plate and PCB to your pics, and the mounting holes appear to be identical for both.

Pics of plate on Rosewill RK-9000: http://imgur.com/a/k3MxJ

I don't see any reason this would not fit if you actually cut the top right portion off, which this design easily allows for. I didn't want to cut this sample plate yet.

Potential issue: You can see the solid area of the red stock plate will rest on that standoff to the left of the up arrow and help support the plate. Our universal design does not have any support in this area and when you press on the plate there it flexes quite a bit. Possible solution: Make that cutout area user-removable just like the top right corner. Then you would have support here, but you could cut out that area if you needed to mount this plate on a board that has a controller there.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:40:25 by whiskytango »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:10:38 »
Thanks for those pics infiniti. I just compared my 9008G2 plate and PCB to your pics, and the mounting holes appear to be identical for both.

I don't see any reason this would not fit if you actually cut the top right portion off, which this design easily allows for. I didn't want to cut this sample plate yet.

Potential issue: You can see the solid area of the red stock plate will rest on that standoff to the left of the up arrow and help support the plate. Our universal design does not have any support in this area and when you press on the plate there it flexes quite a bit. Possible solution: Make that cutout area user-removable just like the top right corner. Then you would have support here, but you could cut out that area if you needed to mount this plate on a board that has a controller there.

Show Image

I see.  Good idea on a possible fix solution.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:12:30 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:13:57 »
I really think it would be OK without, but it could make things feel a little more solid

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:25:46 »
I really think it would be OK without, but it could make things feel a little more solid

Yeah I don't think I would use it if there was any flex or movement.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:00:36 »

You're welcome!  Cool that it fits. :thumb:

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:27:55 »
interested in 3-4 tkl and a 104

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:55:52 »
is there a fully customizable PCB that is full sized? anything along the lines of say a phantom or an a87 that can pair up nicely with this plate?
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:03:57 »
I think it may fit the NerD 108

Edit: No idea what case you would put it in though. I think GON made that to only fit a case where the top layer is the plate. I don't see any mounting holes in the pic on his website.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:10:22 by whiskytango »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 03:57:11 »
Any new info on this ?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 07:58:08 »
I have the plate at the moment, and I will be test fitting it to a few keyboards this weekend. Once I have the final changes made to the design, this should be ready to go forward very soon.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 08:16:25 »
I have the plate at the moment, and I will be test fitting it to a few keyboards this weekend. Once I have the final changes made to the design, this should be ready to go forward very soon.

Are you going to open up the CODE to see if it is compatible?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 10:47:38 »

Cool.  Thanks JD.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 06:32:40 »
I'll definitely be getting at least one of these. :cool:
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline grapenutster

• Memories of Green
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 15:30:28 »
I'll order one
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:01:29 »
Interested in a plate or two !

Show Image

I have to double check this, but isn't the RK-9000 plate/PCB assembly hold in the case by resting on the folded-over edges of the original plate ? If so, wouldn't the assembly w/ the replacement plate rattle around in the case ? The QFR/S and QFXT (and even the demo tester ;)) are build exactly the same BTW..
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:07:20 »
Interested in a plate or two !

Show Image

I have to double check this, but isn't the RK-9000 plate/PCB assembly hold in the case by resting on the folded-over edges of the original plate ? If so, wouldn't the assembly w/ the replacement plate rattle around in the case ? The QFR/S and QFXT (and even the demo tester ;)) are build exactly the same BTW..

Well, you're right, the stock plate does rest on the edges on those models. However, there are also some standoffs the the plate rests on, and the case tops pushes down on the flat surfaces of the plate also to hold it in place. Universal plates like this without folded edges work just fine in a QFR case. I know, there is one sitting in front of me. I don't think it is going to be an issue with the RK-9000 either.

I couldn't fully test this prototype with a RK-9000 because I didn't want to remove the upper right corner of the plate yet on this protoype. That portion is designed to be user removable using a Dremel or other cutting tool so that it works for more types of boards. jdcarpe has the protoype plate right now, and he is test fitting it with some more boards, then he is going to send it back to me. At that point, what I may do is go ahead and remove that portion of the plate and then fully install the plate in my RK-9000 to alleviate all concerns that it will work. I don't think it will be an issue though.

jdcarpe has also already fixed the design flaw which prevented the plate from being installed on a Ducky. There was a hole that was just a little off for one of the case supports to go through. Once jd sends the plate back to me and I confirm that it will fit a RK-9000 after the removable portion of the plate is removed, this will be ready to go to group buy. I'm getting them cut by a shop that is local to me. I haven't figured out what the exact group price will have to be to cover all of the costs, but I think everyone will be pleased with the price point. The estimate they gave me was pretty good with a MOQ of 40 units. I don't think hitting 40 units will be a problem.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 00:52:45 »
Roger that, thanks for the effort !! 8)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline badboybry9000

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:40:07 »
Wow this plate is shaping up to be amazing. I'm interested in a couple.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:29:06 »

they gave me was pretty good with a MOQ of 40 units. I don't think hitting 40 units will be a problem.

NOT hitting 40 units would be the problem.

The only disappointment to me would be inability to fit Deck Legends.

I am tempted to tell Margo not to start modding, and to wait until the universal plate is produced. But I think that's gonna take too long....
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:48:05 »

they gave me was pretty good with a MOQ of 40 units. I don't think hitting 40 units will be a problem.

I am tempted to tell Margo not to start modding, and to wait until the universal plate is produced. But I think that's gonna take too long....

I just looked up pics of that board, and I don't think it will fit the Deck Legend because of the non-standard bottom row. I believe that one limitation of this plate is that the board will have to have a standard ANSI bottom row (1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25)

And what I mean was that, with all of the interest people have expressed, I don't think we'll have difficulty getting enough orders.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 12:09:39 by whiskytango »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:20:33 »

I just look up pics of that board, and I don't think it will fit the Deck Legend because of the non-standard bottom row. I believe that one limitation of this plate is that the board will have to have a standard ANSI bottom row (1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25)

And what I mean was that, with all of the interest people have expressed, I don't think we'll have difficulty getting enough orders.

I wonder if we can ever get plates for corsairs and Decks thanks to the non-standard layouts. I guess we're limited to sawing away manually?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:35:37 »

I just look up pics of that board, and I don't think it will fit the Deck Legend because of the non-standard bottom row. I believe that one limitation of this plate is that the board will have to have a standard ANSI bottom row (1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25)

I wonder if we can ever get plates for corsairs and Decks thanks to the non-standard layouts. I guess we're limited to sawing away manually?

That's why no one should ever buy a keyboard with non-standard keycap sizes. :eek:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 21:10:05 »
JD, you know how they get away with it?

Corsair - awesome design and casing
Deck - best keycaps in the business

If not for these reasons, nobody on geekhack would buy their keyboards.

I'm just waiting for someone on geekhack to clue in (hint: YOU) and offer a corsair-like casing, double shot PBT backlit keycaps, AND a switch moddable plate. It sucks that most group buys are never comprehensive so no one can get a Keyboard that Rules All and stop buying.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 22:14:58 »
We will never stop buying. I keep telling myself that I will but it hasn't happened yet

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 22:25:58 »
Been looking forward to this for my full size MJ2's. 

As long as they plate won't wiggle or slide I will be in  :thumb:
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 02:12:27 »
+1 from me for this awesome idea ;)

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 05:23:56 »
Really considering to buy one. How would this plate be in weight and stability compared to the standard filco plate?

Will this fit a MJ1? I don't know if there's even a difference between the MJ1 and MJ2 regarding the plate.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:36:37 »
Just checking in to see how this is going.

I saw the Phantom plate GB and it made me think of these.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 05:28:41 »
For those who are buying the plate but only need the 104 part (ie you plan to discard the 4x1 extra part), may I humbly ask for the plate (4x1 platelet)? I have some projects that could use a tiny plate on a hand wired array.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 06:06:17 »
Berserkfan, what is making these plates incompatible with the Déck Legend? Just the 1x Fn, Alt Gr, Win and menu keys on the bottom right?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:13:10 »
Berserkfan, what is making these plates incompatible with the Déck Legend? Just the 1x Fn, Alt Gr, Win and menu keys on the bottom right?

UM, very important, don't be fooled. Actually the gaps between the main, and the tenkey, and the numpad areas are all slightly wider for the Deck Legend. About 2mm each leading to 4mm total dif. A Deck owner would have to mod a heck lot to make it work.

The problem does not seem to exist for newer Decks though.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:36:57 »
It would mean cutting the plate in several pieces you mean. Not a pretty mod to do and probably not worth the effort.
Shame :(
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Igthorn

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:41:41 »
What about putting a switch opener tool in the space where the controller cutout is?  Seems like a good use of discarded metal.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:41:29 »
What about putting a switch opener tool in the space where the controller cutout is?  Seems like a good use of discarded metal.

Switch tools are labor intensive. They require bending and grinding to get a finished product. I'm not sure we want to go down that road.

in memoriam

Offline Igthorn

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:52:47 »
I mean just the rough shape of it and we could grind it down ourselves.  We'd just cut it away from the plate and then we're free to use or not use it.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:02:08 »
If  this is still a possibility I could use one or two of them.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 18:33:53 »
Yes the buy is still gonna happen. Going to try to get it going soon.

Offline ImBZppl

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 02:33:07 »
Has anybody tested this with a ducky shine 3 yet?

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:33:29 »
Does the plate fit a ducky zero shine?

Offline quene

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:25:11 »
I would consider getting this!

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 14:10:50 »
I just wanted to see how this was coming along. I'd be super interested in picking a few of these up since I have a number of RK-9000s and QFRs that I'd love to convert to Cherry stabs.

Offline chzel

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 14:58:19 »
Funds permitting, I am really interested in 2 plates!
Let's get this rolling!

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 20:46:53 »
Any updates on this?
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:28:27 »
Hey guys, sorry for lack of updates on my end. Last time I talked to jd about it, he was tweaking the plate design I believe.

I have been kinda busy with real life for a while, first getting ready for baby, and then dealing with him actually coming. Our first child, a boy, was born October 8th, and between that and work I have been swamped. He was three weeks early, but all is well. When things settle down for me, I still intend to do a run of these from my local cutter.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:34:00 »
Congrats on the kid! As crazy as my two are I wouldn't know what to do without them.

Still looking forward to this happening but it is good to make sure things are right and you have the time.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:52:47 »
I would take one here please.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich