Is this the trackball there is? Are there any alternatives. I've read about the Kengsington SlimBlade but i read in the customer reviews on Amazon that it has one of the worst software around, especially for Win x64.
I just got a L-Trac and it has some pros and cons compared to the slimblade:
1. Scrolling by twisting the slimblade's trackball is incredibly fun and you don't have to reach past the ball like you do on the Ltrac
2. The Ltrac's scroll wheel isn't notched (do they call this a flywheel?) which is really good and quite fun unless you need to scroll an exact number of times (like weapon changing in a game maybe)
3. Ltrac has higher DPI, but the slimblade has more exposed trackball so it kind of makes up for it because you have more surface you can scan over in one swipe before you have to reposition your hand
4. Slimblade's trackball seems to move more smoothly because the contact area is smaller, but perhaps some lube on the Ltrac will fix that
5. Slimblade's bearings collect dust super fast, but it's real easy to clean because you just have to lift up the trackball, no unscrewing required
6. Slimblade has 4 buttons by default, Ltrac only has 3 but you can add more
7. Ltrac's third button is somewhat awkwardly positioned behind the ball
8. Ltrac's casing is like a built in hand rest
9. Ltrac's trackball is further recessed into the casing so you don't have to twist your wrist up as high
10. Ltrac uses a bigger trackball, which allows for greater precision
11. Slimblade's software is fine, but the newest version doesn't even work for a lot of people. I had to use an old version. You can rebind buttons 2-4 (but not 1) to other types of button presses or to keyboard shortcuts or things like media buttons. I haven't toyed much with the Ltrac's software's but it does look better.
12. Physical size comparison: Ltrac is super tall, slimblade is pretty wide
13. Ltrac's buttons 1 and 2 are better placed and feel more sturdy
The Ltrac is great, but I'm really bothered by how hard it is to reach button 3 and the scroll wheel, you have to reposition your hand each time to get to them. Everything else about it is better than the Slimblade, except maybe the different way the two perform scrolling, but that's a personal preference: flywheel vs trackball twist.