Author Topic: How did you get faster at typing?  (Read 29980 times)

Offline ajunakey

How did you get faster at typing?
« on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 01:03:39 »
Recently bought a HHKB with no legends so I can force myself to learn how to touch type. I'm finding it super difficult to memorize where which letters/numbers are where. How did you guys learn?

Offline irendulic

Re: How did you get faster at typing?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 01:17:50 »
I think it's more muscle memory. I have no problem typing without looking at keyboard or on blank keyboard, but I really have to think hard to "recreate" the keyboard without my hands on it.

This image helped me a lot when I started typing properly. Holding your fingers "in neutral" on asdf (left hand) and jkl; (right hand) and with time they just seem to know their way around the keyboard without me thinking about it.
http://libraries.wichita.edu/subsplus/assets/fckuserfiles/i_fingering_guide.gif

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 01:21:00 »
It's true just takes some practice, check out www.typingweb.com/tutor/ if you need some help getting started.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 01:51:23 »
I can touch type because we were indoctrinated in kindergarden :P ... well we had to pass a basic typing test which I think really helped and we were exposed to computers relatively young.
It just takes some practice and you'll eventually pick it up.
Blanks are a great way to start.

As a touch typist it's really annoying when I use another format (in another country for example) that I'm not used to.
Since the HHKB isn't a standard format it'll also take you some time to adjust to that as well.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 10:37:12 »
I've been teaching myself how to use the number row on top instead of the numpad lately. It takes time and a lot of frustration. As others have said, the best way to learn is practice and have a printout of the layout for you to look at if you get lost. Maybe try some typing games. Other than, try to have a positive attitude. If you view it as a chore or not fun you're more likely to fail.

Offline chibishin

• sittin around all day listening to classical music
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:13:18 »
practice practice practice

as the others have said, it's all muscle memory, and the more you do it, the better you'll get.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:19:47 »
thanks fellas. i'll be sure to practice your recommended methods  :thumb:

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:48:50 »
i forced myself to learn touch typing and i am still learing. currently at 60 wpm and i get better every month just by typing

Offline Tony

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 07:49:13 »
Touch type. Change to a better, optimized layout. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 22:17:57 »
Literally just type a lot. For me, a teenager that wastes time on chat and Reddit, this is no problem at all. Over the course of about 4 years, I went from 80 wpm to 125 wpm (I kind of flatlined at 125. Not sure how to improve from here).

The more you type, the better you learn how to touch type. Switching to a 60% layout forced me to learn how to type on the number row, something I had never really bothered to learn before, and I am now noticeably faster at typing on the number row.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 23:23:17 »
Literally just type a lot. For me, a teenager that wastes time on chat and Reddit, this is no problem at all. Over the course of about 4 years, I went from 80 wpm to 125 wpm (I kind of flatlined at 125. Not sure how to improve from here).

The more you type, the better you learn how to touch type. Switching to a 60% layout forced me to learn how to type on the number row, something I had never really bothered to learn before, and I am now noticeably faster at typing on the number row.

This. I got into online games very early in computer-related life. IRC, Forums, ICQ, AIM, all that crap. Plus writing scripts for games and stuff like that. After a while you just develop muscle memory.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 17:39:58 »
I think there are physical and mental barriers at a genetic level that, while maybe not making it impossible, introduce severe diminishing returns past a certain speed. For example, I literally can't read fast enough to exhaust my physical speed. Others might have the opposite problem or a mix of both.

I think the average upper ceiling is around 100wpm, but this probably differs from layout to layout.

But yeah, it's definitely muscle memory that allows you to touch type and the only way to develop this is repetition while not looking/cheating. Better off starting slow, but CORRECT, and just practice, practice, practice.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 17:46:16 »
Try typing as if your life depended on it.

I honestly learned how to type fast by playing Diablo II however many years ago and having to talk and run away from monsters at the same time.

But yeah, practice.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 19:00:32 »

I honestly learned how to type fast by playing Diablo II however many years ago and having to talk and run away from monsters at the same time.

But yeah, practice.

THIS
I love Elzy

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 19:04:53 »

But yeah, practice.

THIS

Same here. I forced myself to type faster by playing MMOs while fighting mobs/bosses and communicating.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:35:13 »

But yeah, practice.

THIS

Same here. I forced myself to type faster by playing MMOs while fighting mobs/bosses and communicating.

I was always in competitive guilds when I played WoW, which means I was spoiled by vent. I can see how this would help though...

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:44:37 »
It could also help to switch to a more efficient layout like Dvorak or Colemak. There are so many common words that are awkward to type on QWERTY or rely on a high percentage of left hand finger-work.

I only type at around 120wpm on QWERTY. It feels like my hands are jumping all over the place compared with other layouts. I got to 100wpm on Dvorak in a couple of weeks, which I am now a lot faster on. I'm starting to learn Colemak now as I need to be able to use standard editing shortcuts at work (ie CTL+C), because I can't install things like autohotkey etc.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 23:30:28 »
Using a typing program/tutor really helps. I actually learned to touch type properly at a fast speed when I was in 7th grade, when we all had to take a mandatory career ed. class that had a unit on touch typing. Literally, we would spend an hour each day using a typing program and just learn to touch type.

Offline Decaffeinator

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 00:13:07 »
About two months ago I picked up Dvorak. I went cold turkey, and I did not use a typing tutor. I just pulled up an image of the layout and resumed my day as normal. For the first two weeks, it's pretty miserable. But now my typing speed is gradually increasing.  :D

Moving to an alternative layout can be a bit annoying, but it clears up all those bad habits by abolishing them entirely. Just make sure you're practicing good habits when you start!

Offline wuqe

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 00:45:48 »
Also makes your emails more succinct. And nobody notices!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 21:40:18 »
Recently bought a HHKB with no legends so I can force myself to learn how to touch type. I'm finding it super difficult to memorize where which letters/numbers are where. How did you guys learn?

You could take advantage of the moment and make best use of it by learning a new layout. Nothing but practice will help; starting with a picture of the layout on-screen is best.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:08:46 »

You could take advantage of the moment and make best use of it by learning a new layout. Nothing but practice will help; starting with a picture of the layout on-screen is best.

dvorak.nl maybe?

I tried to use that to learn Dvorak over winter break but was unsuccessful. I can type the home row at probably a nice 40 wpm though :p

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:11:34 »

dvorak.nl maybe?

I tried to use that to learn Dvorak over winter break but was unsuccessful. I can type the home row at probably a nice 40 wpm though :p

Push, I remember that. I went from 80 to 160 in a little over a year after swapping, which I can't say is normal haha. There are transition layouts and apparently Colemak is easier to learn, I just am too hipster and must use the OG alternate layout. I have my doubts about alternation, but at least there are some nice digraphs on Dvorak.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 01:31:24 »

dvorak.nl maybe?

Push, I remember that. I went from 80 to 160 in a little over a year after swapping, which I can't say is normal haha. There are transition layouts and apparently Colemak is easier to learn, I just am too hipster and must use the OG alternate layout. I have my doubts about alternation, but at least there are some nice digraphs on Dvorak.

OG alternate layout? Alternation? What is that  :confused:

Offline tbc

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 03:26:45 »

But yeah, practice.

DAT TRUTH

no greater motivator or trainer has been found
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:32:10 »

dvorak.nl maybe?

OG alternate layout? Alternation? What is that  :confused:

Mostly technical terms, you'd have to have done some research into alternate layouts if you were to know. Alternation is the switching of hands after every letter, which is better for accuracy and speed than using one hand in succession, as well as less tiring. I say it's OG because it's far older than any other alternate layout; it's in the ANSI and made in the 20s, I believe. Also doesn't make any stupid concessions to QWERTY like Colemak does.

Offline flopska

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:53:43 »
I wrote this little tool http://flopska.github.io/ruby-typing/ to reach higher speeds. The ads and the loading times of the available tools disturbed me.

Higher speeds come with a lot of training and regular typing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 11:07:26 by flopska »

Offline nomaded

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:27:55 »

But yeah, practice.

I originally learned to touchtype on a an actual typewriter when I was in middle school. This was something my parents wanted me to learn. For many years after, I wasn't very fast at typing Qwerty, mostly because I didn't really need to be.

Then when I got into college, I started to play with friends on a MUD. A MUD in kind of like WoW, but it was all text, so you had to use your imagination based on the text descriptions of what was going on. You had to type out commands you wanted to do, like movement or combat. So, I very quickly increased my typing speed of Qwerty.

About 10 years ago, I decided to switch to Dvorak. Even though I was touchtyping Qwerty, when I switched to Dvorak, I'm actually using the "correct" fingers for the layout. It also helps significantly to move away from a staggered keyboard. I have no idea how fast I am. I don't really care about speed, I type fast enough to do whatever I want. To me, Dvorak is all about comfort in typing.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline nomaded

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:33:07 »
About two months ago I picked up Dvorak. I went cold turkey, and I did not use a typing tutor. I just pulled up an image of the layout and resumed my day as normal. For the first two weeks, it's pretty miserable. But now my typing speed is gradually increasing.  :D

Moving to an alternative layout can be a bit annoying, but it clears up all those bad habits by abolishing them entirely. Just make sure you're practicing good habits when you start!

THIS.

When I switched to Dvorak, I also went cold turkey after about a week of trying to learn Dvorak and still type Qwerty for work things. I ended up propping up a print out of the layout between the monitor and the keyboard to help me memorize the layout. Also, I went with a simple web-based typing tutorial to help learn the layout: http://gigliwood.com/abcd/lessons/.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 00:22:33 »

But yeah, practice.

Haha that's a great way to teach oneself

Offline kaltar

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:22:05 »
Met a guy that had a Dreamcast with a game called "Type of the Dead" or something like that. and you had to type words to kill the zombies. He went from single finger - looking at the keys to 140 wpm in a year. Practiced for hours every day. I was so jealous of his skills, because additionally he used vi to program, and now he was the faster coder in the world!

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:33:42 »
Met a guy that had a Dreamcast with a game called "Type of the Dead" or something like that. and you had to type words to kill the zombies. He went from single finger - looking at the keys to 140 wpm in a year. Practiced for hours every day. I was so jealous of his skills, because additionally he used vi to program, and now he was the faster coder in the world!

"The typing of the dead" - and what a great idea to improve by playing this game! There is a Steam version nowdays. :)

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:40:58 »

"The typing of the dead" - and what a great idea to improve by playing this game! There is a Steam version nowdays. :)

Yeah I've seen some people play it! I might buy it during the steam sale (if it goes on sale)

Offline dinoxor

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 11:58:40 »
Not only should you practice, but you should practice with precision!

http://www.typing-lessons.org/help.php?e=PRINCIPLES

These priciples have helped me with the number row TREMENDOUSLY
Precision is key and you will eventually pick up speed.

It also helps to dedicate a few minutes each day to practice

I like to use this website: http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

It tracks your progress so you can see your improvements over time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 12:02:08 by dinoxor »

Offline futurebird

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 18:54:53 »
I'm a self taught touch typist. But I learned everything with my right hand shifted so that my index finger is on "h." Is it worth it for me to try to relearn the position of that hand?

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:32:44 »
Just practice I guess. My typing is a refined version of hunt and peck thats just gotten much faster over the years. The problem with this method now is that it tends to be very inaccurate as its based entirely on muscle memory -- and as soon as I go over to a slightly different keyboard layout I start making a lot of mistakes because again, its all muscle memory.

Would love to learn how to properly touch type -- but every time I try I revert back to my old ways because its faster.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:48:05 »
Just practice I guess. My typing is a refined version of hunt and peck thats just gotten much faster over the years. The problem with this method now is that it tends to be very inaccurate as its based entirely on muscle memory -- and as soon as I go over to a slightly different keyboard layout I start making a lot of mistakes because again, its all muscle memory.

Would love to learn how to properly touch type -- but every time I try I revert back to my old ways because its faster.

47 isn't fast if you compare to anyone who doesn't hunt-and-peck, just thought you ought to know. 50 wpm is about average.

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:51:37 »
CLI ;)

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 12:16:50 »

47 isn't fast if you compare to anyone who doesn't hunt-and-peck, just thought you ought to know. 50 wpm is about average.

Lol no I realize that 47 is pretty horrible -- got some blank keycaps in the mail though, maybe that will force me to learn to touch type.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 14:33:49 »

Lol no I realize that 47 is pretty horrible -- got some blank keycaps in the mail though, maybe that will force me to learn to touch type.

You could always take the opportunity and learn a new layabout while you're at it. ;D

Offline futurebird

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 20:26:29 »
For the time being I am opting not to try to move my right hand. It took me long enough to learn to touch type in this position.  :-[ I'm not fast at all yet. Only 25wpm. But I only stated touch typing on a blank board less than a week ago.

I can hunt and peck out 50wpm but I want to get faster than that. So I am forcing myself to learn to touch type.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 23:07:48 »
For the time being I am opting not to try to move my right hand. It took me long enough to learn to touch type in this position.  :-[ I'm not fast at all yet. Only 25wpm. But I only stated touch typing on a blank board less than a week ago.

I can hunt and peck out 50wpm but I want to get faster than that. So I am forcing myself to learn to touch type.

Good stuff, great way to do it. I applaud that will to improve. :-*

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 00:13:46 »
No friends. More time to hit 160wins per minute.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 07:48:37 »
Learn Colemak layout from scratch using finger a placement chart so you know which finger is supposed to press which key. Why learn Qwerty if you essentially have to start from ground zero in order to learn properly? Might as well learn a layout that is efficient and promotes fast speed speeds and reduces RSI/CTS.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 11:07:38 »
Learn Colemak layout from scratch using finger a placement chart so you know which finger is supposed to press which key. Why learn Qwerty if you essentially have to start from ground zero in order to learn properly? Might as well learn a layout that is efficient and promotes fast speed speeds and reduces RSI/CTS.

Colemak doesn't promote high speeds; it uses rolls, and not alternations, simple as that. It's better than QWERTY, but that doesn't mean too much.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 11:27:58 »
The same could be said about any layout, due to lack of data.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 11:30:25 »

xD
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 13:48:31 »

lol'd

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 15:30:33 »
The same could be said about any layout, due to lack of data.

There's quite a bit of data on Dvorak, especially considering Blackburn. If anything, there's very little data on Colemak, lacking any formal studies.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 16:08:48 »

But you're friends with me : (
I love Elzy