Author Topic: [GB] Granite Set ~ Sublimated Full PBT (spacebar included)  (Read 1945569 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: [GB] Granite Set ~ Sublimated Full PBT (spacebar included)
« Reply #2400 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 03:23:34 »
300 peoples wait for next GB on massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/vote/signature-plastics-dsa-pbt-sets :)

if Massdrop contacts me, we can find an arrangement :P

Interesting  :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #2401 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 03:45:43 »
300 peoples wait for next GB on massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/vote/signature-plastics-dsa-pbt-sets :)

Cool, let's hope. Did you think about SA profile or gmk profile/production?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:57:57 by Vitaly »

Offline jlor

« Reply #2402 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:13:12 »
Imgur album!

Keys! Keys! Keys!
According to the 4 (FOUR!) shipping letters attached to the package I received the following:
  • Granite set - common
  • Text modifiers
  • Text pro modifiers
  • Granite Intl: NO, SW, FI, DK, ES, UK
  • ISO Enter
  • Extra Homing Keys

Some nicks on the spacebar.. Not too bad once it is attached to the keyboard.

Some more nicks:

When it comes to spacing of the keys, the homing row is worst:

The base of the keys are vertical on the homing keys, and sloped on the others, causing a visible gab around the homing keys. I choose to see this as a yet another way to quickly identify the homing keys - although I can see if others would see it as a clear and huge defect. Luckily the set comes with both homing keys and regular keys for that position.

DONE!

Only issue I've had so far is the keys are slightly harder to push down. My browns feel quite different now and it will take some getting used to.
Also my enter key is difficult to press down using my little finger now - and at first it stuck on the bottom until I took it off and blew some air onto the switches (magic air apparently - couldn't see any dirt there before). Works now though - to an acceptable degree at least.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:14:52 by jlor »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2403 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:07:53 »

granite has "raison d'etre" only in PBT.

@jlor, can I use one of your pictures on http://keypuller.com/granite/ ?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2404 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:08:57 »

Even a PBT DCS set in these colors would be amazing.

More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2405 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:10:14 »

SP+DCS+PBT ? I don't know...

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2406 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:12:18 »

SP+DCS+PBT ? I don't know...

There is that light blue PBT DCS set they did, and it doesn't look bad.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jlor

« Reply #2407 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:18:43 »

granite has "raison d'etre" only in PBT.

@jlor, can I use one of your pictures on http://keypuller.com/granite/ ?

Ofcourse. Any one you want! Thanks for designing and organizing this GB.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #2408 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 06:16:53 »
I'll try here as well.
Someone wants to trade some keycaps? I'll need:

1u Pipe/Backslash, 1.25u 3 layer mod, S and D of the red on white WASD (for convenience the whole WASD set, if needed).

Pic of what I need:

I have several keycaps up for trade, I had ordered Common, Icon, Icon Pro, Nerdom, and Blue Enter.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #2409 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 07:24:43 »
I would be pretty disappointed if R2 went through Massdrop when SP took the risk on creating their own group buy website. No need to introduce another middleman and even more delay into this whole process. If people on Massdrop want Granite why didn't they and/or why don't they buy it through PMK like everyone else

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #2410 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 07:33:35 »
I would be pretty disappointed if R2 went through Massdrop when SP took the risk on creating their own group buy website. No need to introduce another middleman and even more delay into this whole process. If people on Massdrop want Granite why didn't they and/or why don't they buy it through PMK like everyone else

Look up the "payment" the creator of a groupbuy gets and tell me more about the risks.

SP will be improving and producing replacement caps for the next weeks, so I don't think round 2 will become reality so fast. Speculation of how this will happen is rather pointless at the moment when we don't know if it will happen at all.

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #2411 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 09:31:54 »
I'll try here as well.
Someone wants to trade some keycaps? I'll need:

1u Pipe/Backslash, 1.25u 3 layer mod, S and D of the red on white WASD (for convenience the whole WASD set, if needed).

Pic of what I need:
Show Image

I have several keycaps up for trade, I had ordered Common, Icon, Icon Pro, Nerdom, and Blue Enter.

I'll gladly exchange my |\ key (and other that aren't French if you want it) for a Nerv key which I couldn't order  :-[
That is, if you're not using it of course.
I don't have the other keys you want tho.
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #2412 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:19:46 »
Massdrop sounds good. I might join in on v2 since I missed out some keys.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2413 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:20:24 »
massdrop option is really really unlikely

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #2414 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:37:21 »
Don't really care as long as you're launching v2. Currently getting some blanks to fill up the gaps :(

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #2415 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 17:40:35 »
I'll gladly exchange my |\ key (and other that aren't French if you want it) for a Nerv key which I couldn't order  :-[
That is, if you're not using it of course.
I don't have the other keys you want tho.
Ah, sry, I've already found a guy whose \| I trade for.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #2416 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 17:50:20 »
I have a question about this keycap: When I type and compare the underscore with the hyphen, the underscore is the longer line, e. g., why does this legend show it the other way around?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 17:55:03 by Eszett »

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #2417 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:01:50 »
I have a question about this keycap: (Attachment Link) When I type and compare the underscore with the hyphen, the underscore is the longer line, e. g. (Attachment Link) , why does this legend show it the other way around?

Aren't most of the non letter keys like that? The numbers, comma, period, brackets, etc

Offline tbc

« Reply #2418 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:24:33 »
I have a question about this keycap: (Attachment Link) When I type and compare the underscore with the hyphen, the underscore is the longer line, e. g. (Attachment Link) , why does this legend show it the other way around?

it's DSA.

just flip it 180 degrees
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2419 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 20:38:03 »

You might just have the cap on upside down. :) profile does not dictate orientation.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #2420 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 20:59:50 »
Sorry, I saw a mistake where no mistake is. The keycaps shows all correct. :-(
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:21:14 by Eszett »

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #2421 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:07:28 »
@swill Yeah, I can mount the cap vertically flipped. I am just curious how it is “ought to be”. My Filco standard keycap set has the same oddity: the hyphen shows the longer line than the underscore. In almost every font the hyphen is the shorter line.

You're correct that they hyphen's shorter, but how are you identifying the longer line on this cap as being the hyphen? I've just looked at my set and the two lines look identical in every way but length. Which one you call the hyphen is entirely up to you, as far as I can tell.

Or maybe it's an em-dash?  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2422 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:21:45 »

Even your illustration of the keycap shows the longer underscore icon at the top of the keycap.

Such is the case on every set of keycaps I have.  Including my Filco yellow set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Eszett

« Reply #2423 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:26:48 »
Yea, maybe because today is the hottest day in this summer, and my brain melted down.

Offline jlor

« Reply #2424 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 00:40:09 »
Yea, maybe because today is the hottest day in this summer, and my brain melted down.

I _hate_ that key! And especially on DSA. I had to find another keyboard to see which line were supposed to be on the bottom. Also the O (not zero).. I think I put it on right, but really it can fit any way you want and look the same so there's a 25% chance I am right.. :P

Offline Eszett

« Reply #2425 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:34:42 »
Yes, I scratched my head while trying to mount the “X”, “I”, “H”, and “O” keycap too. I guess “O” is the same from any direction, and “X”, “I”, “H” is the same from upside or downside (vertically). The arrow keys also seem to be the same from any direction, isn’t it?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:37:37 by Eszett »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #2426 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:07:25 »
Yes, I scratched my head while trying to mount the “X”, “I”, “H”, and “O” keycap too. I guess “O” is the same from any direction, and “X”, “I”, “H” is the same from upside or downside (vertically). The arrow keys also seem to be the same from any direction, isn’t it?

You should've got Cyrillic kit. No mistakes with mounting here :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Pieminister

« Reply #2427 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 07:22:21 »
I haven't seen or heard anything about the blue dye sub international kits yet. Has anyone that has ordered such a set heard anything about shipping yet?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2428 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 07:44:12 »
yeah someone got it

Offline jlor

« Reply #2429 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:48:32 »
I haven't seen or heard anything about the blue dye sub international kits yet. Has anyone that has ordered such a set heard anything about shipping yet?

I received mine a few days ago. Only the ^/¨/~ key on my keyboard above is intl though - oh and the Æ, Ø & Å of course. But I hear a few that have not received shipping confirmation on their Intl. sets. It seems they are last to ship out together with the ISO Enter with print.
I would contact Melissa to ask for a status update.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #2430 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 15:53:56 »
omg! saw this set today! to bad i missed it ;( i hope there will be a second chance to buy it! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2431 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:40:57 »
omg! saw this set today! to bad i missed it ;( i hope there will be a second chance to buy it! :)

Unlikely, but keep an eye on Classifieds, a couple of sets have turned up for sale already.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Xike

« Reply #2432 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:00:10 »
I'm afraid I'm in the same situation. Just starting to really get interested in messing around with my board (planning on getting an aluminium case for my Poker II when it eventually gets here) and these caps would've gone beautifully with it. Here's hoping for a second run, until then I'll be scouring the classifieds for someone selling a full set and then some. Both the text and icon modifiers sure look slick...
Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Red)    KBC Poker II (Cherry MX Clear)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2433 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:05:39 »
I'm afraid I'm in the same situation. Just starting to really get interested in messing around with my board (planning on getting an aluminium case for my Poker II when it eventually gets here) and these caps would've gone beautifully with it. Here's hoping for a second run, until then I'll be scouring the classifieds for someone selling a full set and then some. Both the text and icon modifiers sure look slick...

DSA Dolch is another set you could consider, although they are ABS, not PBT.

Offline Xike

« Reply #2434 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 08:20:57 »

DSA Dolch is another set you could consider, although they are ABS, not PBT.

Huh, those -do- look good. I'll consider them, though PBT caps would be preferable.
Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Red)    KBC Poker II (Cherry MX Clear)

Offline nayr

« Reply #2435 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 04:17:26 »
Has anyone gotten any word on the status of the single space replacement keycaps for the common kit?
Did anyone else send an email about it?

Offline The Nude Wizard

« Reply #2436 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 05:00:16 »
Has anyone gotten any word on the status of the single space replacement keycaps for the common kit?

yeah i did i also had a few small issues with the A's of the wasd kit, reply I got was -

"We are working on fixing the tooling to correct this, so it may be a few weeks before you receive anything from me on this."

that was two weeks ago, traditionally a "few" is 3 so I guess I'll wait ;)

Offline jlor

« Reply #2437 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 10:36:32 »

Yea, same as everybody else:
Quote from: Melissa
It will be a few weeks before we have replacements ready, but we will make sure you are added to the list.

Offline Curetia

« Reply #2438 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:03:46 »
I got my package today and do a few pics with my smartphone: http://abload.de/gallery.php?key=j7DS56y3

As you can see some of the Caps did have some nicks like ISO-Enter and some are not correctly centered like Ä, but I dont think that it is possible to get replacements for these keys or is it possible?

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #2439 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:53:19 »
Here we go!

http://i.imgur.com/0pv91br.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/msBGA8e.jpg

Unfortunately my iso enter sticks (both of them, icon and text) because it is bend too much...
http://i.imgur.com/kLCK3FW.jpg

Anyone else got this problem? I doubt SP cab send me another one which hasn't this problem, due to their lack of testing possibilities.

I used the one of the numpad for now and like it's not that bad..
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 06:05:55 by drrtyrokka »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2440 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:59:06 »
That's some pretty bad spacing you have there.

Mine's not perfect, but not quite like that :eek:

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #2441 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 05:00:22 »
More depressing pictures...
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #2442 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 05:49:08 »
Actually I'm not depressed. Just the enter bothers me..
It really doesn't look as bad as it does on the pictures

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2443 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 06:36:16 »

It's the lighting that makes the difference.

I work in a darker environment (not completely dark!) at work where my Granite set is now.  I can hardly see the inconsistencies.  But when I turn the desk lamp on they show up a lot more.

Your photos are particularly clear, which makes the little imperfections stand out a lot more.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #2444 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 07:52:27 »
(customer service voice:) Did you notice any flaws with our product? As solution we propose you to dim the lights! You won’t see them as much anymore then   :eek:
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 07:55:07 by Eszett »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2445 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:02:32 »

put the enter in a vice (with some heat-proof padding), do not tight too much of course. Try to blow some hot air with your hairdryer or heatgun. Proceed at small steps. Heat / cool down / heat / cool down. It might help

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #2446 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:41:51 »
Yeah thanks matt3o, I'll try that. I think the problem are also the cherry stabilizers because they are are stiffer than costar ones...
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:30:16 by drrtyrokka »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2447 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:51:43 »

put the enter in a vice (with some heat-proof padding), do not tight too much of course. Try to blow some hot air with your hairdryer or heatgun. Proceed at small steps. Heat / cool down / heat / cool down. It might help

I did something similar with a pbt spacebar. I put it on a flat surface and warmed it up and pressed on the top to remove some warping.

Offline jlor

« Reply #2448 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 11:47:24 »
I got my package today and do a few pics with my smartphone: http://abload.de/gallery.php?key=j7DS56y3

As you can see some of the Caps did have some nicks like ISO-Enter and some are not correctly centered like Ä, but I dont think that it is possible to get replacements for these keys or is it possible?
Here we go!

http://i.imgur.com/0pv91br.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/msBGA8e.jpg

Unfortunately my iso enter sticks (both of them, icon and text) because it is bend too much...
http://i.imgur.com/kLCK3FW.jpg

Anyone else got this problem? I doubt SP cab send me another one which hasn't this problem, due to their lack of testing possibilities.

I used the one of the numpad for now and like it's not that bad..

Contact Melissa with the pictures! I had the same problem and I'm receiving single spacing replacement keys. Sadly I'm not sure my enter is covered by their replacement policy-thingy.. But I will definitely try that heatgun/hairdryer trick if I ever get my hands on a hairdryer.. Maybe put it in the oven for a little bit? :-)

Offline Yslen

« Reply #2449 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:15:36 »
Boiling water is hot enough to shape PBT without damaging it or making it too soft.