Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 612555 times)

Offline Hundrakia

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #300 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 14:52:07 »
I'm all about the LMDE, but I've used most majors and a new one offs. I have yet to try Gentoo, though.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #301 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:34:02 »
I do not use Linux because it doesn't natively run SimCity 2000.

Yes it does. Enter Winex...

Offline blackbox

« Reply #302 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:57:03 »

Ok,then we have converted microsoft windows to linux. Who would have thought?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 00:02:17 »

Ok,then we have converted microsoft windows to linux. Who would have thought?

Haha, can't hurt to try.  :)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #304 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 00:39:49 »
If he starts to use linux he will run something weird like yggdrasil  or some other oboslete distro. :)
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:23:27 »

I don't think that's what "natively" means.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #306 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:46:48 »

Well, wine is just a compatibility library.

Technically you are linking a Windows executable with a library to provide graphics and sound services.  Instead of interfacing with the Windows kernel, it interfaces with the Linux kernel.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #307 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:23:04 »

Hey its close enough. I was able to run windows programs on linux with Winex with better performance than on a windows install (using the same box). Because Winex does not have to run the whole windows stack, the programs actually have access to more resources than running the same program on windows natively.

Offline iri

« Reply #308 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:53:15 »
I was able to run windows programs on linux with Winex with better performance than on a windows install (using the same box).
i did the same.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #309 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 20:05:56 »
Blew away Linux Mint 15 from my old laptop and installed #! in its place. Love how simple it is. Wish it worked better with my wifi card.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline osi

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:10:23 »
Blew away Linux Mint 15 from my old laptop and installed #! in its place. Love how simple it is. Wish it worked better with my wifi card.

420 posts...nice bro!

I have a personal hate against broadcom.... good luck :D

Offline blackbox

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:16:50 »
Any spesific reason for broadcom hate?

The LAN table!

Offline caesar

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:17:51 »
archlinux + fluxbox   my best setup

Offline blackbox

« Reply #313 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:19:45 »
archlinux + fluxbox   my best setup

Nice, what do you run it on?

The LAN table!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:33:09 »
Recently? No idea. But their proprietary drivers were pure evil ~5+ years ago.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #315 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:24:21 »
Recently? No idea. But their proprietary drivers were pure evil ~5+ years ago.
I see. yea propietary driver isnt much fun. But recently they been nice as you said. They even made the videocore IV graphics core used in rasberry pi open source.

The LAN table!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:29:46 »
I haven't said anything about them being nice recently. I simply gave up on their hardware and went Intel everywhere¹ four years ago.

¹  except one AMD+Atheros desktop

Offline dante

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:10:00 »
Specifically for users who love Arch: Any reasons you didn't use or left CrunchBang?

Offline RED-404

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:04:41 »
I have used CrunchBang several times. I have random fits of distro-hopping and I do like what he did with CrunchBang but overall I still like to build my system.  I like fluxbox and blackbox and I am used to them so that wasn't the problem.  If you like CrunchBang you can give ArchBang Linux, Bridge Linux or BlackArch Linux a shot.

I like Arch for Pacman AUR and its just what I need it to be. You will probably find that many Arch users are former Gentoo users that just got sick of Portage or miss the guidance of our former benevolent dictator.

I also like Foresight Linux its not something I would use day to day, but I like messing with its strange package manager "Conary" it's still better than RPM and DEB.
Thanks for the reminder. I need to see about a updated version of bbLean for my Windows 8 box.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:38:44 »

420 posts...nice bro!

Tell me about it. I got it working using the b43 driver...sort of. And because it's an HP laptop, I can't upgrade the wireless card to anything I like. They have a hard-coded whitelist in the bios, and it prevents booting if a wireless card that isn't on the list is installed. I might just give up and see if I can find a low-profile USB wireless dongle.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline osi

« Reply #320 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:05:52 »

420 posts...nice bro!

Tell me about it. I got it working using the b43 driver...sort of. And because it's an HP laptop, I can't upgrade the wireless card to anything I like. They have a hard-coded whitelist in the bios, and it prevents booting if a wireless card that isn't on the list is installed. I might just give up and see if I can find a low-profile USB wireless dongle.

Some lenovo models also aggrivate with the whitelist shenanigans. Long live the wg511t  teehee

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:26:41 »
I like Puppy Linux.  It's the fastest OS, as it runs from RAM.  I'm using Lucid 5.2.8 (based on Ubuntu) on a 10 year old laptop, and it runs great.  I've also used Ubuntu 10.04 a couple years back on a Dell box, and I really liked it.

In the future, I would like to use Fatdog64 (a Puppy Linux distro, 64 bit) and Linux Lite.

My main computer is an HP box running Vista.  It runs great.

I'm interested in Chrome OS, and may get a Chromebook one of these days.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:42:58 »
I like Puppy Linux.  It's the fastest OS, as it runs from RAM.  I'm using Lucid 5.2.8 (based on Ubuntu) on a 10 year old laptop, and it runs great.  I've also used Ubuntu 10.04 a couple years back on a Dell box, and I really liked it.

In the future, I would like to use Fatdog64 (a Puppy Linux distro, 64 bit) and Linux Lite.

So I'm not the only one who likes to run lightweight distros on ancient hardware? :)

Also, if you're interested in a Chromebook, you can pick up a refurb Acer C710 from Newegg for $119. I did just that about a month ago.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dante

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:06:29 »
I think lately I've given up my keyboard addiction for distro addiction - I can certainly understand the "build your own" mindset as each distro has something it does very well.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:29:18 »
Chrome OS should be getting integration like iOS just announced in the near future, dock your phone and not have to look at it til your up from your Chromebook kinda function. I'm excited!

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:30:35 »
Now I want to build a chromium os with the Chromebook interface, but desktop apps and wine and all. Not quite ready, but soon I will do this!

Offline RED-404

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 17:19:04 »
I have a HP Chromebook 14 and for the money, it's not bad. I have not yet rooted it because the idea behind it is simply to have at least one system in my house that no one in my house including me can really mess up.
It's this one "not my pic"

But yes, I frequently have to talk myself out of installing arch on it..  :rolleyes:

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #327 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 09:44:24 »

So I'm not the only one who likes to run lightweight distros on ancient hardware? :)

Also, if you're interested in a Chromebook, you can pick up a refurb Acer C710 from Newegg for $119. I did just that about a month ago.

Yes, there's something satisfying about being able to keep old hardware running with lightweight software like Puppy.  Just in the last week though, my hard drive appears to be failing in old laptop.

My HP box was bought used for about $50.  The seller thought the hard drive was going bad, but it was really that the OS got corrupted.  A simple reloading of the OS from the recovery partition got it working again.  It has an AMD Dual Core plus 750 GB of storage, which I barely use.  Vista flies on this and runs generally like butter.  I'm not completely happy with video playback as it will stutter if I have a bunch of browser tabs open.

I've had my eye on a C720.  That can be loaded with Ubuntu and Fatdog64.  I tried an HP 14" Chromebook at Sam's Club, and from the brief interaction, it was quite nice.  It's not quite in my budget yet, but one of these days, I would like to get a Chromebook.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #328 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 20:30:27 »
Why has no one told me about the new window managers out there? Some sexy things! I set up an Arch install with LXDE for now, thinking of trying out Awesome WM.

Offline iri

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:12:05 »
Why has no one told me about the new window managers out there? Some sexy things! I set up an Arch install with LXDE for now, thinking of trying out Awesome WM.
i3 seems to become popular recently.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #330 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:22:15 »
i find linux deplorable for everyday use, only ever run it iin vm when developing

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 11:42:34 »
I'm certain if you took your time to tweak your Linux, you'd find it elating. That being said, 'it just works' works for most. But apparently not for Geekhack. You, sir, need to tweak your Linux.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 12:01:21 »
I'm certain if you took your time to tweak your Linux, you'd find it elating. That being said, 'it just works' works for most. But apparently not for Geekhack. You, sir, need to tweak your Linux.

I agree, like a keyboard Linux must be made into your own OS for it to be truly awesome

Poker II

Offline iri

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:17:50 »
okay, after a ****shower with ubuntu 12.04 -- 14.04 i installed mint (with cinnamon) and it works. i don't need much besides "it works".

-Ray Bradbury

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:30:07 »
I miss WMFS.
I just needed a few more options, and it would've been sweet.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:36:55 »
okay, after a ****shower with ubuntu 12.04 -- 14.04 i installed mint (with cinnamon) and it works. i don't need much besides "it works".

Welcome to my favourite distro. I use it everywhere that cinnamon isn't too heavy for.

Offline iri

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 07:48:40 »
well, it's a temporary measure (because i need a working machine right here right now). i am tired of **** and want a normal distro that will work for years. mint is not one of these as it's based on ubuntu. i tried crunchbang but it won't even boot on my laptop.

and there's no way that systemd crap will be installed on any hardware i own.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:39:56 »
i am tired of **** and want a normal distro that will work for years.

Debian
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:40:43 »
...or Slackware...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline osi

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:55:45 »
...or Slackware...

slackware 4tw. I don't expect systemd to ever get into bed with slack

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 13:52:29 »
Systemd is bothersome? I'm just beginning my foray into Arch. Warn me now!

Offline RED-404

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 14:14:08 »
For the most part Systemd is better it just has a learning curve and I'm still not the biggest fan of how configuration is handled it seems a little needlessly convoluted.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 14:30:10 »

Welcome to my favourite distro. I use it everywhere that cinnamon isn't too heavy for.

Mint eh? I bought a Linux magazine on a whim today and it came with Mint... I think... I'm thinking of installing it over the top of Win 7 on my laptop tomorrow.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline iri

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:13:51 »

Debian
has systemd in wheezy.

...or Slackware...
fokk yea! years ago i had a slackware system with "slacko is iri's love" on the desktop. i may consider using it again.

also, a colleague offered me gentoo
DISCUSS

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:09:07 »
I mean... I think I'm fine with Arch. I need a working system too muchly. I haven't had much issue with systemd

Offline osi

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:21:46 »

Debian
has systemd in wheezy.

...or Slackware...
fokk yea! years ago i had a slackware system with "slacko is iri's love" on the desktop. i may consider using it again.

also, a colleague offered me gentoo
DISCUSS

Gentoo will def get you a non systemd environment

A tweaker's heaven offering complete control over your build

Haven't dove in there yet as I like to dedicate a good amount of time learning--a luxury for me currently :d

the BSD family is also an option

Offline RED-404

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 19:12:33 »
Meh the Gentoo foundation killed Gentoo years ago. [Citation Needed]

Offline osi

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 20:41:41 »
Familiarity of the "gentoo way" is the main drive behind my quest. If Chromebooks ever become popular, knowing the backbone is a plus. Also adding some good info to the noggin while at it

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #348 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 21:16:10 »
Chromebooks are amazing man. For my internet needs it's perfect. Everything but work things are available for my use.

Offline iri

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 01:33:43 »
Meh the Gentoo foundation killed Gentoo years ago. [Citation Needed]
-daniel robbins

-Ray Bradbury