Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606582 times)

Offline Crazyhendrix

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 02:52:02 »
Debian. Running a minimal install on a 6 year old Asus eeepc 900. Primarily for distraction free writing in Vim. No pictures or videos of internet kittens.
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 14:43:32 »
Debian. Running a minimal install on a 6 year old Asus eeepc 900. Primarily for distraction free writing in Vim. No pictures or videos of internet kittens.

Sounds like a good idea until you run :make .. ?

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:30:32 »
Using Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS for work and LMDE on my laptop. I'm using vanilla Debian in a VM to run through the edX Linux course.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:58:22 »

Sounds like a good idea until you run :make .. ?

:make what? markdown text files? :D
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline iri

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #355 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 11:15:07 »
Using Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS for work and LMDE on my laptop. I'm using vanilla Debian in a VM to run through the edX Linux course.

Nice. Do you run Xorg? If so, you should perhaps try out the zathura pdf reader. I really like it for it's vim bindings and autoreloading whenever the file pdf file gets updated.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:07:52 »
kali user reporting in

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #357 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 14:31:14 »

Nice. Do you run Xorg? If so, you should perhaps try out the zathura pdf reader. I really like it for it's vim bindings and autoreloading whenever the file pdf file gets updated.

Yes, I do. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely take a look. I've been trying to transition over to using Linux as my primary desktop OS, but the move has been slow.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:44:14 »
on systemd:

http://wizardofbits.tumblr.com/post/45232318557/systemd-more-like-****-stemd
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/169082
http://ewontfix.com/14/
http://ewontfix.com/15/
http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/weblog/archives/2013-10.html#e2013-10-29T13_39_32.txt

more links here:
http://boycottsystemd.org/

That was very illuminating, thank you.
I think for the next little while I'm going to run Arch though, since it's up and running. See where the world sits on Linux when I do an upgrade on my rig!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:51:59 »
Brace yourselves, Lennart h8ers are coming!

Offline ljfkidd

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:16:16 »
Main desktop dualboot with windows (for gaming) and arch, also have a laptop running kali linux.

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #362 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 07:38:59 »
I started on Slackware 3.0, installed from dozens of 1.44 floppies! For a while, it was Debian on servers and Ubuntu on laptops.  Now I am all about RPM, with Fedora on personal machines and Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS on work systems.

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #363 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:12:43 »
Gentoo? psssshhh....

Show Image

Lol, great strip. In all seriousness though, vim masterrace reporting in.

Vim fan here.   I've been "shaving the yak" this last week, improving my .vimrc file.  I was mapping my F-keys, but changed to mapping comma as my Leader key.  Good stuff.  I also wrote a 256 color scheme for vim, inspired by the default monokai color scheme in Sublime Text.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:16:45 by vimx »

Offline caesar

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 08:22:12 »
archlinux + fluxbox   my best setup

Nice, what do you run it on?

I used it like a desktop. For servers prefer debian or centos.

Offline iri

« Reply #365 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:21:56 »
oh, i also switched from vim to emacs. because emacs is better.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:01:10 »
I used to be an emacs, now I'm a vim.  At least you're not a nano!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #367 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 12:57:48 »
I use nano, U mad? Well I just use it because it gets what I want to be done and I haven't bothered learning vim or emacs.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #368 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:25:42 »
http://xkcd.com/378/ comes to mind

Offline RED-404

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 14:26:00 »
Yeah, I'm just going to stay in the corner and use mcedit or jed or whatever is on the P.o.S. I have to fix at the time. Have fun with your editor war.

If I actually have to sit down and write something custom I tend to use Sublime Text but I can use whatever.

Offline iri

« Reply #370 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 02:10:57 »
http://xkcd.com/378/ comes to mind
yeah.

two commands that i use the most daily:
Code: [Select]
M-x post-on-geekhack
Code: [Select]
M-x make-me-some-oolong

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 06:09:07 »
I use nano, U mad? Well I just use it because it gets what I want to be done and I haven't bothered learning vim or emacs.
Mad?  No.  I feel... pity.  May you someday know the joy of coding in a proper editor.  Peace be with you.

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:28:44 »
1998 just called and wants its stupid editor war comments back.

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 19:10:53 »
I run dd-wrt on my wireless routers.  Does that count as a distro?

Also, have you guys experienced the awesomeness of virtualbox, vagrant and packer?  Any linux container docker fans ?

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #374 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 19:32:11 »
This is a method with which to retort that never seems anachronistic.

Offline iri

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:49:33 »
Oh, you are young, I see.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:59:15 »

I once mused to myself at people who didn't want a fancy GUI editor to do things, I thought they were intimidated. I know now that they aren't the ones who were misguided.

It was me who was!

Offline iri

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:09:51 »

I once mused to myself at people who didn't want a fancy GUI editor to do things, I thought they were intimidated. I know now that they aren't the ones who were misguided.

It was me who was!
fancy gui, you say? hehehe.

75029-0

-Ray Bradbury

Offline osi

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:16:01 »

It was me who was!
fancy gui, you say? hehehe.

(Attachment Link)

Iri,

Do you work for a company called DataArt in St. Petersburg?

Offline iri

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:14:33 »
i can neither confirm nor deny that

why are you asking?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline osi

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:17:31 »
PM'd! :D

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 05:32:14 »
Home: Debian on the media center/HP thin client and on Raspberry PI, Slackware on my old laptop, Solaris 11 for my NAS/Filer and running Zones for web and other stuff like that, Solaris 10 on a vintage Ultra 10 machine just because I can :D
Work: Windows7 because I don't have other options, but I have a VM running Slackware ;)
Editor: Vim  :cool: I even ran a GB for that :P
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:59:30 »
Running Crunchbang on my primary machine, Arch on my laptop, Slackware on my secondary desktop and I use Arch on my servers  >:D
Editor: Emacs since... well... Emacs.  :p
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 23:02:02 »
I should try emacs.

Offline iri

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 02:31:42 »
since 1976?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 07:42:28 »
since 1976?

I haven't been alive THAT Long  :))
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
What linux distro do you use?
« Reply #386 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:31:44 »
Curious on what everyone uses on here.

Personally I'm just trying out arch at the moment, and thus far, I really like it. I'm still in the midst of tweaking it a bit.

I've tried, Mint, Ubuntu & finally arch.

I'm really becoming better at using the command line thanks to arch forcing me too.   :p

Offline NoblesseOblige

Re: What linux distro do you use?
« Reply #387 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 09:52:03 »
I use CentOS as a virtual host. Only distro I use currently.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #388 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:28:10 »
I dabbled with Ubuntu for about 5 years starting about 2009, and have been using openSUSE since late last year, although the majority of my time is still spent in Windows 7.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #389 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:28:42 »
Ubuntu and Win 8.1 dual boot on my Main PC

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:30:55 »
Arch on my desktop as well as my servers.

Offline dante

« Reply #391 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:56:55 »
I think Mint Xfce is my end game OS.

Offline lagscout

• ayyyy
« Reply #392 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:21:02 »
I use funtoo, and it was my first linux distro. I'm planning on trying arch some time soon on one of my spare computers though.

Haven't used funtoo in a while. It took a lot of time to set up but I feel like I learned a lot.

Currently using Arch. Been using Gnome instead of a tiling wm because I feel like I spend less time ricing and more time actually doing stuff.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:21:24 »
I think Mint Xfce is my end game OS.
Rolling Release is the endgame! :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:24:17 by wlhlm »

Offline animal

« Reply #394 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:53:14 »
Been using Debian since 2000 along with Windows XP (multiple pcs) until 2008. After that plain Debian with Xfce. After all this systemd stuff I'm thinking about trying out a BSD if Devuan isn't mature enough when I upgrade.
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #395 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 20:30:53 »
CentOS and Ubuntu without X installed. I am always working on servers without a UI.

Pretty comfortable with most *nix distros. Want to spend some more time with arch when I have some time.

Offline SL89

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 20:45:46 »
Debian on my server

#! on my laptop

Chrubuntu on my chromebook

lots of android if it counts

and im itching to try the new Kubuntu when the next version of Plasma is rolled into it.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #397 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 00:03:46 »
#! Waldorf on my laptop

Debian Jessie on a testing box

Linux Mint 16 on my desktop (hopefully not for much longer)
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Altis

« Reply #398 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 02:14:48 »
Using Puppy Linux from USB at work sometimes. It's incredibly lightweight.

Tried using Mint 17 Cinnamon recently but was pretty disappointed with its performance. Also, couldn't get wifi to work on my (older) Dell laptop, or display drivers to work properly on my newer desktop.

Not sure what to try next as I really thought Mint would be the one. Just looking to do some programming and learn the platform. Perhaps Debian.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #399 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 05:01:49 »
My first distro was Mandrake. I switched full time around the very first Ubuntu LTS release (because damn winmodems).

Nowadays I use Kubuntu / Linux Mint KDE, mostly because I like KDE and I've been stuck with Ubuntu derivatives for ages, hence I'm quite familiar with it. However, I strongly disagree with Canonical's direction and recent (i.e. last few years) actions and the core system is horribly rotten; I experience trouble with hardware support, that don't exist elsewhere, packages in official repos are broken out of the box, etc.

I'd be already running Fedora, if Anaconda wasn't so horrible and the fedora.next software management (plus SAT solver for yum) was in place.
A year later and I've completely abandoned Fedora, because the project apparently puts more focus into politically correct rubbish than solving actual technical issues. I prefer a working system to a system developed with contributions from elderly African American transgender lesbians—at the risk of being eaten alive by certain redhatters. For example, my webcam has gone from partially usable to unusable in three releases; surprisingly, that's one of the things that currently actually work perfectly in Ubuntu derivatives.

I'm only a bit worried about the development cycle of Kubuntu. Sitting on LTS means I'm sometimes stuck with outdated software, while the upstream actually solves issues (the case of my webcam). OTOH, latest and greatest releases bring other kinds of issues (such as broken default configuration for serial Wacom digitizers, that prohibits them from being detected correctly, or rather at all). Unfortunately, Debian (a) doesn't even have PPAs with the latest upstream software, and (b) downstream isn't any better.

In particular, I'm on the fence about 15.04. I wouldn't have to compile Emacs 24.4 by myself (yay), but I'm still wary of the "KDE 5". Not because I expect a KDE4-like "disaster", but I have a very specific workflow that makes use of some of the weirdest settings in KWin, and some of them may not be implemented… yet?

There's still Gentoo/Funtoo/whatever in the air, but I talked to some power users in autumn, and they hated on software written Haskell, because it's supposedly a PITA to compile and/or manage. That might be a deal breaker for me, because I tend to use quite a lot of data-processing tools in all sorts of very high-level languages.

/rant