Author Topic: [IC] Keycool 84 owners: anyone interested in a TeX aluminum case groupbuy?  (Read 16307 times)

Offline victor.m

So I recently contacted Justin at TeX about aluminum cases for Keycool 84s. He said if we could get 30-50 people to commit to a group buy, an aluminum case for the KC84 could happen!

I really would love to get one, does anyone else out there share the same desire? Trying to gauge if we have the numbers/interest to make it happen..

If this isn't allowed/is in the wrong section, sorry and please move!

If you're confused as to what I'm referring to, it's this:
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 06:58:34 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline tbc

Re: Keycool 84 owners: anyone interested in a TeX aluminum case groupbuy?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 03:28:39 »
needs to go  to interest check forum.

people are going to want to know the price.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline victor.m

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 03:39:28 »
Thanks, hopefully someone can move/delete this then?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 06:58:09 »
Thanks, hopefully someone can move/delete this then?

Moved.  Carry on!  As tbc said though, some pricing information would be helpful.  And would you be organizing this or would Justin be handling everything but you're just gathering interest?

Edit: Also modified OP to conform to [IC] standard in thread title.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I think it is also important to figure out if there is more than one case variation on the keycool84 so people know it will fit.

Offline basspivo

I am interested, if the case is the same spec (anodize) and made by the same vendor (Lian-li) as he did with the 60% GB.  I have a Keycool 84 with clear on the way. 
TT Meka G1 w/ MX Black
KBT Pure Pro w/ MX RED
Keycool 84 w/ MX Clear
CMS QF Stealth w/ MX Green
CODE 104 w/ MX Clear
CODE 87 w/ MX Clear

Offline tbc

i'd be only interested for a good price, comes with a plate option, and offers gold.

otherwise, i'd stick with GON

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
****. YES.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
So I recently contacted Justin at TeX about aluminum cases for Keycool 84s. He said if we could get 30-50 people to commit to a group buy, an aluminum case for the KC84 could happen!

I really would love to get one, does anyone else out there share the same desire? Trying to gauge if we have the numbers/interest to make it happen..

Show Image

Are you talking about that specific case in the OP...? Because I'm pretty sure that case is for a 60%, not for KC84 which is bigger. I would be interested though (just ordered a KC84 from Banggood last week, so should be coming within a few weeks :D)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Show Image

Are you talking about that specific case in the OP...? Because I'm pretty sure that case is for a 60%, not for KC84 which is bigger. I would be interested though (just ordered a KC84 from Banggood last week, so should be coming within a few weeks :D)

pictured are examples of the design for 60% because tex doesn't have 75% yet but will make them if this gb starts

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back

Show Image

pictured are examples of the design for 60% because tex doesn't have 75% yet but will make them if this gb starts

Ohh I see.

Does anyone know if these will be similar low profile cases where the switches are exposed?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Show Image

Ohh I see.

Does anyone know if these will be similar low profile cases where the switches are exposed?

most likely. Tex loves the low prof design

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
I think a 75% is a great idea.  I like the Tex cases but I don't really like 60% boards.  I wonder if it would be possible to support both the Keycool84 and the KBT Race, similar to how the 60% cases support both the Poker and Pure.  I'm almost positive that if this makes GB stage, I'd make a size-compatible Epsilon-alike PCB.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
I think a 75% is a great idea.  I like the Tex cases but I don't really like 60% boards.  I wonder if it would be possible to support both the Keycool84 and the KBT Race, similar to how the 60% cases support both the Poker and Pure.  I'm almost positive that if this makes GB stage, I'd make a size-compatible Epsilon-alike PCB.

PLEASE DO SO!!!!! Loving my qazpad, need moar of your stuff :p

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
I would love this, I've been really thinking of getting a 75% because I really miss arrow keys on my Poker for work but haven't really wanted something like a Race.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
I would love this, I've been really thinking of getting a 75% because I really miss arrow keys on my Poker for work but haven't really wanted something like a Race.

pure pro

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks

pure pro

Eh, that spacebar :/
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline tbc

pure pro really is one of the worst designs ever.

pure 1 beats it in pretty much every way.

the minila's farts have a better layout.

Offline blighty

Any chance for MX-mini compatibility as well? I am down for putting my kc84s in low profile cases as well, of course.  But,  I would like to see a finished product first.  I am kind of tired of supporting failed geekstarter projects. ..
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Any chance for MX-mini compatibility as well? I am down for putting my kc84s in low profile cases as well, of course.  But,  I would like to see a finished product first.  I am kind of tired of supporting failed geekstarter projects. ..

this isn't some kickstarter project. Its tex's build, which will work, as they probally already have the files and the tooling and have already made plenty of cases

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back

this isn't some kickstarter project. Its tex's build, which will work, as they probally already have the files and the tooling and have already made plenty of cases

My thoughts exactly.

Offline tbc

I really don't think there's that many.  i don't have a solid count, but it definitely feels like most of the projects are being completed.

I'm guessing the definition of failure being used here is actually 'completed within a set time,' which i would argue isn't really fair for work that is being done as part of a hobby and only in people's spare time and very often without any sort of industrial workshop backing them.

I would argue the success of the ergodox is singlehandly enough to outweigh all other failed projects.

Offline victor.m

Hey guys!

I contacted Justin with questions regarding potential price/color finishes/profile/KBT Race compatibility. Hopefully he gets back to me soon, please continue to express interest, but soon I'll have more info!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
I'm in for probally 2 cases. 1 for my 84 which is in the mail plus another one for if metalliqaz makes an epsilon v2

Offline o3okevin

Interested in one!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

I really don't think there's that many.  i don't have a solid count, but it definitely feels like most of the projects are being completed.

I'm guessing the definition of failure being used here is actually 'completed within a set time,' which i would argue isn't really fair for work that is being done as part of a hobby and only in people's spare time and very often without any sort of industrial workshop backing them.

I would argue the success of the ergodox is singlehandly enough to outweigh all other failed projects.

+1

Case in point, my qazpad. Its been a long journey, from the PCB being designed wrong to the case being the wrong size, but all the kinks have been somewhat ironed out and I have an awesome functional keypad.

Very rarely will a project here on GH completely fail, in the worst case, it'll take a long time (GH60) or you can butcher things together to work

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Since TeX has not designed anything yet, he probably can't say if support would be possible for other boards.  The main question would be if Race and K84 (or something else) share the same (or compatible) mounting holes.  I really want this to work, so it's probably best to initially concentrate on the Keycool like the OP.  They Keycool is a good keyboard, and I'd be happy with that.

If we get enough interest, I'm not worried at all about the designs coming to fruition.  TeX knows what he's doing.

A render would be nice.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Well I actually bought a Race II recently for my gf, so if we can confirm that it's compatible then I'll most likely be in for one.

:)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline kennyk64

I'm in for one too if this is happening
Poker II  Shine II  Realforce 87u

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
here's the thing about the kc84

there are NO screws.

There`s the bottom, the side cover, and the pcb soldered to switches to the plate

the side covers go over the side of the plate and attach to the bottom with those annoying little tabs

don't know how integration with other boards will work with this system

Offline tbc

is there a good disassembly picture showing that?

Offline basspivo

This is what I found online, but it is in Chinese.  If you scroll down about 1/3 of the page, you will see some good disassembly pictures.

http://www.pcwaishe.cn/thread-428109-1-1.html

I attached the disassembly pictures here if you don't want to wait for the site to load the photos.
TT Meka G1 w/ MX Black
KBT Pure Pro w/ MX RED
Keycool 84 w/ MX Clear
CODE 104 w/ MX Clear
CODE 87 w/ MX Clear

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Great observation, Pac.  Since the TeX design was clearly intended for a PCB mount board, the KeyCool might not be possible.

It does have a few holes in it, though.  I see four, two of which are also in the plate.  Also there are slots around the edges.  Seems like it could be mounted
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:53:18 by metalliqaz »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
is there a good disassembly picture showing that?

59749-0

You can sort of see it in this pic, around the edges it has the small support braces

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Yyyyyyyyyes please!

In red preferably :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline basspivo

Any reply from Justin? 
TT Meka G1 w/ MX Black
KBT Pure Pro w/ MX RED
Keycool 84 w/ MX Clear
CODE 104 w/ MX Clear
CODE 87 w/ MX Clear

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
I really want to keep this one going.  I'd love to see this case made.

The main issue brought up so far is the compatibility.  The low-pro TEX designs seem to be targeted for a PCB mount board, which the KC84 is not. (correct me if I'm wrong)  Perhaps a re-target to Race?  Also as I said, I would bang out a programmable, full-LED custom board to be compatible, if the community desired it.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
problem is the stock plate. Its curved upwards at the top and bottom to hook up with the sides of the case

screws are possible to use, but the look would be very ugly

imo I won't get a metal case for my KC84, I'd rather get a LZ MX Mini and use that and get a metal case

Offline archer

If it is possible to create an aluminum case that I could simply drop my KC84 guts into, then I'd be in for 1.

Offline basspivo

Any response from Justin?  It has been awhile.
TT Meka G1 w/ MX Black
KBT Pure Pro w/ MX RED
Keycool 84 w/ MX Clear
CODE 104 w/ MX Clear
CODE 87 w/ MX Clear

Offline mz/x

Re: [IC] Keycool 84 owners: anyone interested in a TeX aluminum case groupbuy?
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:04:08 »
If it is possible to create an aluminum case that I could simply drop my KC84 guts into, then I'd be in for 1.
I just got a KC84 and 100% agree with archer on this one. As long as the case is not Barbie Pink then I am in for 1 as well.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:24:36 »
I would like to know more about using a plate with this case, as well as if a face-w pcb would fit.

Offline mz/x

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 08:16:25 »
victor.m, have you heard any news from Justin? I think this alu case would be awesome. It looks like the thread went a bit dormant.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:52:05 »
I would like to know more about using a plate with this case, as well as if a face-u or face-w pcb would fit.
+1 on the FaceW compatibility...heck, FaceW w/4mm aluminum plate, let's spend all the monies.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 02:09:53 »
I would like to know more about using a plate with this case, as well as if a face-u or face-w pcb would fit.
+1 on the FaceW compatibility...heck, FaceW w/4mm aluminum plate, let's spend all the monies.

My monies will be ready next week.
Let's do it!

Offline mz/x

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 04:45:39 »
I am definitely interested in one.  :thumb:
Let's do it.

Offline mz/x

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 16:16:22 »
Did this IC die out? I think this would be awesome.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 16:17:21 »
Did this IC die out? I think this would be awesome.

The OP hasn't been here since April so I'd say yeah.

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 13:42:36 »
1) Low profile cases aren't my "cup of tea".
2) Yet? :rolleyes:

Offline DzyDzyDino

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 20:45:59 »
Is there any hope in reviving this? I've been wanting an LZ MX Mini forever, but since that likely wont happen, a Keycool 84 in an awesome aluminum case will be a nice consolation prize. Though I love low profile cases for my 60% boards, I would prefer this layout with "taller walls" ... and I double the previous sentiment - RED.