Author Topic: 1:1 velocity on Mac  (Read 5476 times)

Offline pepijndevos

1:1 velocity on Mac
« on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:13:29 »
I read that for the best and most direct response, it is best to set OS-level mouse speed to correspond directly with the sensor, and set the CPI on the mouse itself.

The same post mentioned that this value is 7/10 on Windows IIRC.
But what is the equivalent on Mac?

59553-0

The other thing is acceleration. There seems to be a lot of fuss about getting rid of any such thing.
I found this SmoothMouse project which claims to do this.
But it again provides its own velocity slider.

59555-1

Offline pepijndevos

Re: 1:1 velocity on Mac
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:49:37 »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 13:45:31 »
bumping this one. valuable information for the mac user :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 13:53:33 »
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5782884/disabling-mouse-acceleration-in-mac-os-x

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:00:12 »
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5782884/disabling-mouse-acceleration-in-mac-os-x

unfortunately, that only eliminates mouse software acceleration. There will still be inherent lag, which is caused by osx's double buffering for the screen redraw to eliminate screen tearing (so stupid...). Smoothmouse is able to fix this about 85%, although I can still feel some difference compared to Windows 7 with mousefix, no enhance pointer, and windows 6 sensitivity.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:15:00 »
... which is caused by osx's double buffering for the screen redraw to eliminate screen tearing (so stupid...).

For what Macs are designed for, it's perfectly acceptable and I'd argue makes the Mac experience better for it for the average user.

But... it is a major point why Macs aren't really good for dedicated gamers.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:47:17 »
... which is caused by osx's double buffering for the screen redraw to eliminate screen tearing (so stupid...).

For what Macs are designed for, it's perfectly acceptable and I'd argue makes the Mac experience better for it for the average user.

But... it is a major point why Macs aren't really good for dedicated gamers.

true.. which is why bootcamp exists for us gamers :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:46:52 »

Offline pepijndevos

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:40:04 »
With that parameter set to -1, it disables acceleration, but is it also 1:1?

There is some fascinating discussion going on here about the actual merits of SmoothMouse compared to tools like USB Overdrive.
http://smoothmouse.com/forum/topic/320-facts-and-fiction-or-whats-the-medicinesnake-oil-ratio/

The OP argues that it simply can't be double buffering.
OP also argues that updating the mouse cursor faster than the screen refresh rate is pointless,
and claims Mac is updating the cursor position at 60Hz.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:07:11 »
With that parameter set to -1, it disables acceleration, but is it also 1:1?

There is some fascinating discussion going on here about the actual merits of SmoothMouse compared to tools like USB Overdrive.
http://smoothmouse.com/forum/topic/320-facts-and-fiction-or-whats-the-medicinesnake-oil-ratio/

The OP argues that it simply can't be double buffering.
OP also argues that updating the mouse cursor faster than the screen refresh rate is pointless,
and claims Mac is updating the cursor position at 60Hz.

scaling -1 worked for me but I'm using an Ltrac and not really gaming much, I'll try a game and see if I notice anything.

Offline tooki

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 04:25:42 »
There will still be inherent lag, which is caused by osx's double buffering for the screen redraw to eliminate screen tearing (so stupid...).
It's not stupid. It's a very sound technical decision that provides a good user experience (tearing = bad) and provides for a simpler graphics stack. (All window compositing is done by the window manager in the GPU.) And it's unrelated to the lag in question.

And besides, if you're worried about gaming, most 3D games provide an option to disable vertical sync. You'll never get the same frame rates as under Boot Camp, though in return, Mac games are more stable thanks to OS X's more stable graphics drivers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 07:49:58 »
double and triple buffering was a highly lauded feature in early 3d display card drivers for this very reason. in fact, just before 3dfx was purchased, their big thing was using screen buffering to create all kinds of cool gradient-based filtering effects. after they were bought, nvidia used this tech for a very short period before they turned all their chips into geometry engines.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 14:24:27 »
double and triple buffering was a highly lauded feature in early 3d display card drivers for this very reason. in fact, just before 3dfx was purchased, their big thing was using screen buffering to create all kinds of cool gradient-based filtering effects. after they were bought, nvidia used this tech for a very short period before they turned all their chips into geometry engines.

AFAIK all modern graphics cards have double and triple buffering still. At a minimum, double buffering is always used, drawing is always done in a back buffer, vsync synchronises the buffer switch to the vsync signal to avoid "tearing", vsync off just switches buffers when the back buffer is full. Triple buffering can be enabled via the drivers. Triple buffering can be done in two different ways, with either the latest complete buffer used when switching or in sequence. If in sequence triple buffering is used, there is added latency, since the displayed frame is always 2 frames behind the currently rendering frame. DirectX uses in sequence triple buffering if it's turned on. OpenGL uses the latest ready buffer, so it provides both a performance benefit (the GPU can render during a buffer switch) and low latency (you are only one frame behind the one currently being drawn).

Vsync is something that IMO should be user controlled at a driver level / overall system level. The system should allow the user to turn it off if they prefer lower latency and on if they prefer no possiblity of tearing. Not allowing the user to choose IS stupid.

I use a 3rd party program (I think it's USB Overdrive) to kill acceleration in OSX. Couldn't stand the implementation in Snow Leopard, was really annoying. Now I just boot into Win7 with BootCamp. The MacBook Pro makes a nice Windows laptop  ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 14:25:49 »
I use a 3rd party program (I think it's USB Overdrive) to kill acceleration in OSX.

+1
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:44:39 »
Finally. Hope this works. With my g400s, I can hardly get used to the mouse acceleration. Really annoying.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g