Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 233037 times)

Offline Matter

Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #850 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 12:16:21 »

I did a full teardown and photoshoot of the review sample I'm looking after before the passaround.

Some things:
1. It has the exact same stabilizer design as a normal realforce KB. I have photos of both.
2. Stabilizer rattle is about the same. Looking at the design, I can see what causes this and have a few ideas for mitigating it. Sadly it will have to wait until I can get a novatouch of my own.
3. I now know what that guy was talking about on the bottoming out thing. It's pretty tough on 45g to not bottom out. I will have to work on it a little I think.

Full review coming soon. Pictures are a little blurry as my phone was dying so I may have to re-shoot them.

Can't wait!

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #851 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 02:07:46 »
Quick Q.  Has anyone tested how CC's fit on the novatouch?  We all know BBv2s don't fit, what about these clacks?
Hi :)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #852 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 02:09:37 »
I wonder how many free review samples CM gave out for this one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #853 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 04:24:57 »
Quick Q.  Has anyone tested how CC's fit on the novatouch?  We all know BBv2s don't fit, what about these clacks?

All of my MX CCs have regular sized round stems, so I imagine they should fit quite well.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #854 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 05:22:27 »

All of my MX CCs have regular sized round stems, so I imagine they should fit quite well.
In a few decades when they sell the KB in Aus, you may be able to test  :))
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #855 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:58:14 »
I did a full teardown and photoshoot of the review sample I'm looking after before the passaround.

Some things:
1. It has the exact same stabilizer design as a normal realforce KB. I have photos of both.
2. Stabilizer rattle is about the same. Looking at the design, I can see what causes this and have a few ideas for mitigating it. Sadly it will have to wait until I can get a novatouch of my own.
3. I now know what that guy was talking about on the bottoming out thing. It's pretty tough on 45g to not bottom out. I will have to work on it a little I think.

Full review coming soon. Pictures are a little blurry as my phone was dying so I may have to re-shoot them.

I can't wait either brotha
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #856 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:51:31 »

Some things:

I thought the stabilizer designs were different? (Comparing novatouch to realforce)

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #857 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 03:24:05 »
Available in Aus 20/10 for $219 + postage ($19 in my case) at Scorptec.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #858 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 04:16:13 »

Thank you! Finally a sensible person  :p

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #859 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:08:57 »
Got my sample, review coming soon. First impression: not many upgrades compared to the prototype.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #860 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 12:53:08 »

Some things:

I thought the stabilizer designs were different? (Comparing novatouch to realforce)
I thought so too at first. I will explain when I post the review (probably sometime next week). I'm done testing it with the stock keycaps and I've been using it with a set of SA keycaps. Spoiler alert! replace the keycaps and it becomes awesome

Offline runcom

• Topre lover
« Reply #861 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 03:52:27 »
Does someone know how to buy a novatouch from Europe? I know it'll be availavble from mid November but I don't need the ISO one so the US/ANSI is ok for me but CM storm nor amazon.com let me ship to Europe (Italy)
Don't be a dumbass, always be kind to people, here and afk

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #862 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 03:55:28 »
Does someone know how to buy a novatouch from Europe? I know it'll be availavble from mid November but I don't need the ISO one so the US/ANSI is ok for me but CM storm nor amazon.com let me ship to Europe (Italy)

ANSI version should be also available in EU (mid November).

Offline runcom

• Topre lover
« Reply #863 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 03:56:54 »

ANSI version should be also available in EU (mid November).
I see, but I want it now lol
Don't be a dumbass, always be kind to people, here and afk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #864 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 04:54:37 »

I should probably check their site more often.  Very fast delivery, they have.  We ordered something at work one day early in the morning and the courier arrived later the same afternoon!

Nothing on PCCG yet though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline crazystu

« Reply #865 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 06:06:42 »
If you can find a shipping forwarding company to ship it to you, that's one way to get one.
I ordered one directly from the Cooler Master US web store to my forwarding address (I'm in New Zealand).

Difficult to give my thoughts on the board as it's my first Topre. My only complaint is for the missing indicator lights, the stabilizer rattle is minor enough to not bother me.
What really impressed me was that I'm able to consistently type around 10 WPM faster than on all of the Cherry switches I've tried.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #866 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:57:03 »
I'm not cross posting, but if someone is interested at my take at the Novatouch this is my opinion.

Also gallery here

and sound test/comparison

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 08:00:06 by Matt3o »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #867 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 08:02:38 »
Great stuff as always, Matt3o!

Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline colomb

« Reply #868 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 09:07:12 »
I'm not cross posting, but if someone is interested at my take at the Novatouch this is my opinion.

Also gallery here

Great review. I wish I had more experience with ( and owned more ) topre boards so I could form a more objective opinion of this one.

Only comment I'd have is regarding the o-rings. I saw no perceptible difference when using the o-rings with the stock ABS keycaps. I then installed the IMSTO thick PBT set I had without the o-rings. It improved the feel somewhat. Adding the o-rings to the IMSTO set made a world of difference with both feel and sound.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #869 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 09:35:23 »
Matt3o: Have you examined the problem with GMK right shift/enter/backspace hitting the stem bases and CLACKING? Would be interested if you have any thoughts on how to mitigate this...
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #870 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:04:35 »
stabilizers are a huge problem in the novatouch imho, they would need some refactoring, but very little we can do about it. Not all keycaps will 100% work I reckon, but probably nothing a dremel can't solve... :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #871 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:06:18 »
stabilizers are a huge problem in the novatouch imho, they would need some refactoring, but very little we can do about it. Not all keycaps will 100% work I reckon, but probably nothing a dremel can't solve... :)

OK I"m posting that picture.

Novatouch stabs are the same as topre. Photo evidence incoming.

Also, there is something we can do to reduce or eliminate stabilizer rattle. I have a very good theory as to why it's more prevalent on the novatouch than a normal realforce keyboard (it's because the stabilizers do more work on a novatouch, on a realforce they are almost useless) Pictures are currently uploading.

^topre realforce 104 pro 10'th anniv 30g

^novatouch

^individual novatouch slider
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:36:15 by dorkvader »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #872 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:22:31 »
I dismantled both a novatouch and a realforce. They are very similar, probably the only difference are the holes in the novatouch, but something's wrong with them otherwise they wouldn't be so rattling :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #873 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:41:16 »
something's wrong with them otherwise they wouldn't be so rattling :)

So you know how the novatouch has those supports for the stabilizer stems on a cherry keycap? The topre doesn't. This means the topre stabilizer does almost nothing. Why does it rattle less? the torsion spring (stabilizer wire) doesn't bend very much. This explains why it's quiet. The novatouch torsion spring actually does work, as the keycap supports are further away from the center, this allows them to distribute the torsion of an eccentrically loaded keycap and distribute it better. What makes the rattle? as the torsion spring bends one side will be contacting both "sides" of the channel it sits in. In lower amounts of torsion and in just tapping it you get rattle as the spring rattles back and forth in its channel.

If you like I can measure them both but the size of the channel and the width of the torsion pring is the same for btoh the novatouch and the realforce.

Oh, the holes under it are to get a good spread of plastic through the mould and keep it from sagging in the wrong place as it cools (and going out of spec). That's why the novatouch has 4 and the topre has 2, to account for the different stem design.

My idea to help with stab rattle is to:
1. grease the stabilizers
2. if that doesn't work, put some plastic around them to make them wider

About cases: the realforce case is PBT I think. It's moulded extremely expensively (make sense 'cause it's made in japan so it's gonna be expensive anyway) The novatouch has a case made of a different material (pc&abs I think? will have to check) and shows some streaks from teh plastic entering the mould at different rates. It would likely have been cheaper to make but it is a lot nicer and more expensive than most keyboard cases I have seen.

Further info will be in the review when I write it. I just wanted to reply directly to your comments.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:44:00 by dorkvader »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #874 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:55:51 »
looking forward to reading your review.

another note about the standard keys. I noticed that novatouch 1u sliders inside a realforce housing sound much better than in their original housing... this leads me to think that the problem is more in the housing than the slider itself.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #875 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 13:04:43 »
looking forward to reading your review.

another note about the standard keys. I noticed that novatouch 1u sliders inside a realforce housing sound much better than in their original housing... this leads me to think that the problem is more in the housing than the slider itself.

It could just be the acoustics of the different mass / volume plastic of the novatouch sliders. I have SA keycaps on mine and the difference is huge: keyboards respond to different sliders like they do different keycaps I think, a small change leads to a large difference in sound.

That said, you do have a point there. I would like to explore teh differences myself, but I think that's probably too much hacking on this review unit :p I'll have to wait until I can get one of my own.

Offline deci

« Reply #876 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 14:06:37 »
Matt3o: Have you examined the problem with GMK right shift/enter/backspace hitting the stem bases and CLACKING? Would be interested if you have any thoughts on how to mitigate this...

This is due to the height/depth or clearance of the cap.
Basically the stock cm key caps are really tall and don't smack into the stabs whereas gmk and a lot of other key caps are lower profile and little nubs hit the roof of the keycap.

This is why the o rings make no difference on the stock caps but a ton of difference on others. You're basically making the keycap taller. Unfortunately it's still too short for some of the stabs.
To mitigate this you either need to put thicker or maybe double o rings on or modify the stabs (maybe by sanding down the little nubs)

I don't have any to try with but maybe soft landing pads would work as well. This is because they are really big squares and they may be wide enough to cover the part of the keycap roof that the stabs are hitting. (Well probably won't work for R-shift but maybe for the other keys.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 14:13:25 by deci »

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #877 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 22:05:04 »

I should probably check their site more often.  Very fast delivery, they have.  We ordered something at work one day early in the morning and the courier arrived later the same afternoon!

Nothing on PCCG yet though.

I only knew as I saw it on the CM Aus FB page.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #878 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 22:27:46 »

Also gallery here

Excellent review Matt    :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline deci

« Reply #879 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 03:36:44 »
Hey Matt3o or anyone else... how did you get your novatouch case open?

I've removes all 4 screws but it's really stuck on there... are there clips other than top and bottom like normal qfr?

edit: nm, I figured it out. The clips on the side were just really stuck for some reason.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 04:01:17 by deci »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #880 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 04:00:47 »
I use old credit cards, they are the best to open these keyboards

Offline deci

« Reply #881 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 04:09:49 »

damn, that's a really good idea. i use a straight edge but i always end up damaging the plastic a little.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #882 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 16:24:55 »

damn, that's a really good idea. i use a straight edge but i always end up damaging the plastic a little.
I recommend getting a nylon stick like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280877670711
but a credit card or guitar pick can also work.

The novatouch case is harder than most to open. Lots of clips at the back and the ones at the front are hard to disengage.

Offline deci

« Reply #883 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 19:25:13 »

I recommend getting a nylon stick like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280877670711
but a credit card or guitar pick can also work.

The novatouch case is harder than most to open. Lots of clips at the back and the ones at the front are hard to disengage.

Oh wow that's really cool! Wish someone has shown me that a long time ago lol. It would have been useful for so many things.

Yeah I got it open, but this one clip lol... I swear it was glued shut. Had to wedge a large exacto blade in there.
Worth it though my stabs and spacebar are much quieter and smoother now.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #884 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 08:49:47 »

Also gallery here

http://youtu.be/sd9_OYWUSSU
Thanks for the review and the audio recordings. Quite a noticeable difference! THe FC660C has the true Topre "thock".

Offline Volvicsoda

• Want some soda?
« Reply #885 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:05:59 »
novatouch sounds & feels great with thick & low profile pbt keycaps. :)
FC660C, Realforce 104UK-HiPro, Novatouch TKL, NMB RT101+, NMB 8755C+, BTC-5339 Cyrilic, IBM 1390131, IBM SSK,G86-52400, G80-8113,  MX-MINI, G81-3077, Skidata, Filco Camo, 3000SAG, 1724SPF, GMK C. Orange, GMK Dolch, GMK WoB, GMK TA, Filco SA...

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #886 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:04:51 »
Yeah; I wish there was a Leopold blank black (not navy!) set that was available.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #887 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 19:18:48 »
I think that the Leopold caps are available in both navy and black.

Offline deci

« Reply #888 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 20:05:25 »
I think blanks are only in navy. Although they look pretty close to black. I have a set on the way so I'll know soon.
Right now I'm using blank black vortex thick pbt. That's the best feel on the novatouch so far for me but I really want to try some SA keysets.

Offline Tony

« Reply #889 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 06:48:10 »
Thanks for your effort. The pictures are nice.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #890 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 07:23:29 »
I think that the Leopold caps are available in both navy and black.

I think blanks are only in navy. Although they look pretty close to black. I have a set on the way so I'll know soon.
Right now I'm using blank black vortex thick pbt. That's the best feel on the novatouch so far for me but I really want to try some SA keysets.
I have only seen the blank key set in navy, never in black. And even if the navy set is close to black, I'm afraid my CDO would kick in...

Offline mougrim

« Reply #891 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:55:22 »
Hmm... Amazon says it will be in stock tomorrow, but not in my bundocks.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #892 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 09:23:25 »
Question: I can use both Topre and MX keycaps on Novatouch?
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #893 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 09:28:20 »
No, Topre keycaps do not work on the Novatouch.

Offline deci

« Reply #894 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:01:56 »
Yeah; I wish there was a Leopold blank black (not navy!) set that was available.

Not Leopold but the Poker Thick black pbt caps are back up on massdrop.

They come it blank and they are cherry profile.

I like mine so much I'm grabbing another set.

Offline crazystu

« Reply #895 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 02:35:04 »

Don't buy this set for the Novatouch. One of the rows is too short, and will clack against the keyboard (or at least it does in my case).
I have not tried with o-rings, however.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #896 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 02:37:46 »
No, Topre keycaps do not work on the Novatouch.

It can be done though. If you swap the slider out for a Topre one it will work no problems.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline deci

« Reply #897 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 04:05:06 »

Don't buy this set for the Novatouch. One of the rows is too short, and will clack against the keyboard (or at least it does in my case).

It works fine with the Novatouch, I already have a set that I use with it.
But all lower profile keysets (cherry in this case) requires the o-rings for clearance (specially the modifiers since the little nubs on the stabs go extra high). That's actually the reason they are included. Notice how the o-rings don't actually do anything on higher keycaps like the OEM stock ones?

Try your vortex on the novatouch with o-rings. They feel really nice.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #898 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:41:46 »

I abandoned the idea of getting the Vortex set since they are not true black and on the photos I have seen, you see the stem markings through the top of the key cap. 

To be honest I do no understand the issue you are describing.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #899 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:46:08 »
I tried hard to like this keyboard but (at that price) it simply doesn't stand a chance to any other Topre (not to mention my custom creations :P).

The only good thing is that it looks pretty nice with basically any keycap set :) Here on Midnight (a set that I love despite the not so huge success)