Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 232501 times)

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #650 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:59:13 »
You also seem to have the space bar on the wrong way around :p
Well, I've heard a lot of talk about this previously, so I'm giving it a shot.

It's the only way to fly!
Odd to think placing the spacebar the other way around makes it feel kind of odd, and it does feel a little odd to me. I don't know if I'll keep it this way permanently though.....I'm an old dog, it usually takes a while for me to adjust....if ever. :-[

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #651 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 08:26:32 »
My longest lasting keyboard so far is a ~12 year old cheap Dell rubber dome one.  I've had several mechanical keyboards break much sooner due to controller problems.
My IBM XT keyboard was built in 1984 and still going strong! :)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #652 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:11:26 »
My longest lasting keyboard so far is a ~12 year old cheap Dell rubber dome one.  I've had several mechanical keyboards break much sooner due to controller problems.
My IBM XT keyboard was built in 1984 and still going strong! :)

Someone can pay all they want for a "high quality" keyboard.  It's still going to end up having some crappy dip-soldered electronics made in a third-world country.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #653 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:05:36 »

Odd to think placing the spacebar the other way around makes it feel kind of odd, and it does feel a little odd to me. I don't know if I'll keep it this way permanently though.....I'm an old dog, it usually takes a while for me to adjust....if ever. :-[

I tried it at the insistence of several forum members, but it just felt weird to me.  Plus I had not been experiencing the problem that most people had before they flipped ("cutting" their delicate fingers on the "sharp" edges of the keys).  Plus it kinda set off my OCD and looked wrong.  So I swapped it back to normal, and haven't worried about it since.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #654 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:18:00 »

I tried it at the insistence of several forum members, but it just felt weird to me.  Plus I had not been experiencing the problem that most people had before they flipped ("cutting" their delicate fingers on the "sharp" edges of the keys).  Plus it kinda set off my OCD and looked wrong.  So I swapped it back to normal, and haven't worried about it since.

I just don't see how people are hitting their spacebars in such a way that it hurts their fingers.

I guess if it was uncomfortable to me I would try switching it around, but I agree with Rowdy.  It just looks out of place.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #655 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:18:53 »
Is there a shipping day set on this keyboard yet?
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #656 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 12:45:47 »
I've swapped the spacebar back to its original position and it feels so much better, guess I'm not hip enough. :-[

Offline jameslr

« Reply #657 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 12:49:31 »
I've swapped the spacebar back to its original position and it feels so much better, guess I'm not hip enough. :-[

Nah, you're hip enough. You have a Novatouch afterall. :) I never tried the spacebar flipping, but I think it looks dumb anyway. :D
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #658 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 17:59:35 »
I've started a poll over on DT where you can cast your vote for your favorite Topre-switch keyboard:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/what-is-your-favorite-topre-switch-keyboard-and-why-t8744.html

Please get out and vote!

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #659 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:55:09 »
Man, how this thread has blown up.

;D

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #660 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 23:30:10 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #661 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 23:33:10 »
Novatouch for half the price?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/noppoo-electro-capacitive-keyboard?mode=guest_open

Everyone jumping on Topre band wagon.

Everyone jumping on Topre switch with MX-compatible stem band wagon.

:p

Only 108 key though?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #662 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 23:46:01 »

Everyone jumping on Topre band wagon.

Everyone jumping on Topre switch with MX-compatible stem band wagon.

:p

Only 108 key though?

I know.  If it was a TKL I would consider getting one to try out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #663 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 23:56:15 »
2 for the price of one novatouch and it will do the stems of both my hhkbs?  I'll do that.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #664 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 00:01:26 »

If they are anything like the sample units they are also half the quality, according to 002 from DT.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 03:21:15 by _PixelNinja »

Offline deci

« Reply #665 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 00:55:34 »
The question is, can you harvest these stems for your real topre?

Because at that price, it's kind of worth it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #666 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 05:18:29 »
Only 35g and 45g though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #667 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 06:10:36 »

Offline feizor

« Reply #668 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 06:25:48 »
Isn't the novatouch releasing in NA today? I wonder when we will get it Australia... and at what price.

Offline sujambanvfx

« Reply #669 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:42:30 »
Final Realese has come..
did they made LED indicate on CAPSLK +  SCRLK  ?!

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #670 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:22:16 »
The North American release is indeed today. The European release has bee pushed back to November. In regards to LEDs as far as I know they have been definitely removed from the final production models.

Offline colomb

« Reply #671 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 11:25:25 »
Product page is up.

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/novatouch/

Not showing up in CM Store yet though.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #672 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:17:34 »
You guys probably noticed I haven't posted a review of the production sets ... I requested for one and all I got is "TBC"

REALLY?

Anyway I doubt I'll be getting ANYTHING from them in like forever.

And with the price of them locally, I'll just ask people to not buy it. Like seriously.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #673 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:32:02 »

If they are anything like the sample units they are also half the quality, according to 002 from DT.
There is a recent post from "cookie" on DT indicating a similar impression of the Topre/CM knockoff from Noppoo, i.e., "you get what you pay for".

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #674 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:43:05 »
There is a recent post from "cookie" on DT indicating a similar impression of the Topre/CM knockoff from Noppoo, i.e., "you get what you pay for".
Indeed, I saw that.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #675 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:44:28 »
Final Realese has come..

No LEDs at all on the production boards. I have one, and they aren't present.

Offline sujambanvfx

« Reply #676 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 14:41:50 »
Final Realese has come..

WTF ?! No LED for the final product ?! but why they just make a hole on the plate behind CAPSLK keycap.. its that silly ?!

Offline jameslr

« Reply #677 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:12:42 »
Final Realese has come..

WTF ?! No LED for the final product ?! but why they just make a hole on the plate behind CAPSLK keycap.. its that silly ?!

it looks like there is a place where you can manually solder a LED in there. If you look down into the hole you can see the two LED through-holes. I might put one in mine just to see if it works.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #678 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:13:01 »
They were not satisfied with the look of the keys with LEDs so decided to remove them at the last minute. I do not know if the final production models that are being shipped today still have the holes on the backplate.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:19:35 by _PixelNinja »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #679 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:02:43 »
Anyone uses these lights? I mean, it's tenkeyless and who does use Scroll Lock except some data clerks anyway? Caps Lock is a topic for itself… the key shouldn't have existed like that at all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:05:43 by davkol »

Offline colomb

« Reply #680 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:06:47 »

Offline jameslr

CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #681 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:11:06 »
Anyone uses these lights? I mean, it's tenkeyless and who does use Scroll Lock except some data clerks anyway? Caps Lock is a topic for itself… the key shouldn't have existed like that at all.
Well the scroll lock key functions as a win lock key so I think the led would be nice. Definitely not a deal breaker for me though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #682 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:19:29 »
Okay, I hate these lights with a passion. The LED that indicates Ctrl-CapsLock swap on my choc mini is one of the worst.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #683 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:23:04 »
I prefer to not have LEDs and do not mind not having any on the Novatouch at all.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #684 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:07:20 »
Finally got Novatouch email. Still on the fence about buying this.
RETIRED

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #685 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:33:52 »
Just got an email and it's available now from several sources, $199 with free shipping is the price. Go get em and post those reviews!

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #686 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:49:34 »
I decided to pull the trigger on it. I need a new tkl and I'm a big fan of my hhkb so we'll see...
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #687 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:02:17 »
"The Fastest Mechanical Keyboard," lol okay CM.

Offline Meistershank

« Reply #688 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:34:32 »
The marketing on this is a bit over the top, wouldn't you say?  I'm just going to wait on the sidelines to see what everyone's take on this is.  I was really excited about it half a year ago, but it's been a while.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:45:16 »
Any discount code for CM website?

Nevermind found it.. JAYZ2K14 for 10% off..

Anyone bought things from CM USA and got dinged for duties?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:47:31 by elton5354 »

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #690 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:04:33 »
Be interesting to see when it becomes available to Aus.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline sujambanvfx

« Reply #691 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:18:14 »
Final Realese has come..

it looks like there is a place where you can manually solder a LED in there. If you look down into the hole you can see the two LED through-holes. I might put one in mine just to see if it works.

manually soldering the LEDs ?!... hmm it was pathetic 'will sacrifice the warranty quickly :(

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #692 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:05:57 »
Final Realese has come..

manually soldering the LEDs ?!... hmm it was pathetic 'will sacrifice the warranty quickly :(

It may be possible to remove the keycap and put the LED lead's though the hole to see whether its functional before before opening it up. If it works then decide if voiding the 2yr warranty is worth it or not.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #693 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:28:40 »
It may be possible to remove the keycap and put the LED lead's though the hole to see whether its functional before before opening it up. If it works then decide if voiding the 2yr warranty is worth it or not.

Doesn't look like there's enough power going to it. I poked the LED in there and made contact and it barely lights up. Hardly visible at all. Maybe that was the reason they didn't include the LEDs?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #694 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:30:34 »
Doesn't look like there's enough power going to it. I poked the LED in there and made contact and it barely lights up. Hardly visible at all. Maybe that was the reason they didn't include the LEDs?
Nope.

As I said further back it was an aesthetic choice and possibly a way to make the key cap production easier/cheaper.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #695 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:32:04 »
Nope.

Show Image

As I said further back it was an aesthetic choice.

Perhaps it wasn't making good enough contact to power the 2x3x4 LED I was using.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #696 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:47:49 »
Nope.

Show Image

As I said further back it was an aesthetic choice.

Perhaps it wasn't making good enough contact to power the 2x3x4 LED I was using.
That could be and it depends on the resistor value used in the circuit. You could try a different color LED like white or one with a lower Vf may be brighter.   

Offline gizzard

« Reply #697 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:31:09 »
FYI -
I was able to make an order on the CM website today.

Amazon also has it listed... but with 3-5 weeks till shipping.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #698 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:15:43 »
I ordered yesterday from NewEgg, and it should be here tomorrow. #Hype...
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #699 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:47:49 »
All things considered and despite its flaws and shortcomings, based on my testing and comparing it with other keyboards, I think the CM Novatouch is worth having.

The quality of the Novatouch is not up the the high standard of the Topre Realforce 87u, and the Novatouch lacks features such as an embedded numeric keypad, NumLock and CapsLock LEDs, DIP switches for alternative settings, and a reconfigurable Fn key. Nevertheless, it is currently the best Topre-switch keyboard with Cherry-compatible key stems, thus opening up a whole new world of customization for those who prefer Topre switches over Cherry mx switches.

I consider the feature set of the Kul ES-87 superior to that of the Novatouch, but in my own case, I have yet to try a Cherry mx switch that I like. My favorite switches are capacitive buckling springs and Topre 55g, with Topre 45g a close second. I also like some of the keycaps sets that are available for Cherry mx switches. Therefore, I am glad that I already have a Novatouch in my collection, and I will make it part of my keyboard rotation.

However, before buying another Novatouch, I would hope that CM and Topre would address some of the issues and missing features in the current version of the keyboard by producing the Novatouch 2.0. Altertatively, or in addition, CM and Topre might consider producing a 60% version that could provide competition for the HHKB Pro 2.