Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 232503 times)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #750 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 21:37:46 »
They're still giving their best effort to get the gamer crowd to buy it. Not that I wouldn't expect them to, but these buzzwords and shady statistics are pretty much razer-tier.

Let's all hope the Q & A on these keyboards are a lot higher then any of Razer's current junk pile of input devices  ;) .

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #751 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 22:17:16 »
Hows the keyboard for gaming? I currently have CM Quickfire TK with MX Red and o-rings. Is the novatouch more quiet? Are the keys easier to press? Hows the 1mm actuation point? Does it make a difference? I personally don't care about the feeling of keycaps and switch really, looking for something good for gaming, thats it.

I am looking to eventually switch my Quickfire TK for something more high-end like Ducky or something, or maybe a novatouch or logitech g910 if they are actually good. If the novatouch 45g is good, I may wait for the 35g version, I dont know yet.

Offline deci

« Reply #752 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 00:38:53 »
Hows the keyboard for gaming? I currently have CM Quickfire TK with MX Red and o-rings. Is the novatouch more quiet? Are the keys easier to press? Hows the 1mm actuation point? Does it make a difference? I personally don't care about the feeling of keycaps and switch really, looking for something good for gaming, thats it.

I am looking to eventually switch my Quickfire TK for something more high-end like Ducky or something, or maybe a novatouch or logitech g910 if they are actually good. If the novatouch 45g is good, I may wait for the 35g version, I dont know yet.

Um this question is hard to answer because it is mostly opinion based.
My gut reaction would be to say no. MX-red is probably your best bet for gaming. (Or it is for most people since they say it's the easiest to double tap on.)
Personally I can play pretty well on anything but then again back in my Cal-I days in college we all used ****ty membrane keyboards so Topres are fine for me.

I have no idea what CM means when they say 1mm actuation point but Topre switches in general have all the actuation force at the top of the press vs MX red where it's smooth all the way down.
Imagine pressing down on a little rubber bubble that collapses because that is literally what you are doing.

As for sound, this depends on your specific keycaps and dampening options. You can make any keyboard quiet with the right combination of soft landing pads, o-rings, dental band mods, lube, etc.

If you have the money and want to step up. I personally like custom korean boards with ergo lubed and stickered blacks for gaming.

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #753 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 01:31:04 »

My gut reaction would be to say no. MX-red is probably your best bet for gaming. (Or it is for most people since they say it's the easiest to double tap on.)
Personally I can play pretty well on anything but then again back in my Cal-I days in college we all used ****ty membrane keyboards so Topres are fine for me.

I have no idea what CM means when they say 1mm actuation point but Topre switches in general have all the actuation force at the top of the press vs MX red where it's smooth all the way down.
Imagine pressing down on a little rubber bubble that collapses because that is literally what you are doing.

As for sound, this depends on your specific keycaps and dampening options. You can make any keyboard quiet with the right combination of soft landing pads, o-rings, dental band mods, lube, etc.

If you have the money and want to step up. I personally like custom korean boards with ergo lubed and stickered blacks for gaming.

If I press hard on the keys, I can make a lot of noise bottoming out even with the o-rings on my MX Red (the blue o-rings from wasd), however my biggest problem is when you release the key, which is where most of the sound comes from and I am wondering if the novatouch fixes that or not.

I don't mind if its not smooth all the way down like MX Reds are. As long as the key register as fast as it can (I am guessing 1mm does that), then thats fine. I am all about speed. However, you did mention all the actuation force is at the top. Is the 45g mentionned the maximum force require to actuation the key or is it the average when bottoming out? As an example, would it require 55g at the top and like 35g at the bottom for an average of like 45g? Or is 45g of actuation force the same as MX Red but it gets even lower the more you bottom out?

The 1mm actuation point is the distance you press for the key to register. However, 1mm seems quite low, much lower than any Cherry MX switches. I am not sure what it is on normal topre keyboards. I really have no experience with topre keyboards.

When you talk about double tap being easier, I am guessing it may take more time for a topre keyboard to come back to the initial position after releasing the key? I can't think of anything else. On OCN, some people claim topre are the best for double tapping because you dont have to deal with debounce time.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 01:41:37 by MasterBash »

Offline deci

« Reply #754 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 04:27:23 »

If I press hard on the keys, I can make a lot of noise bottoming out even with the o-rings on my MX Red (the blue o-rings from wasd), however my biggest problem is when you release the key, which is where most of the sound comes from and I am wondering if the novatouch fixes that or not.

I don't mind if its not smooth all the way down like MX Reds are. As long as the key register as fast as it can (I am guessing 1mm does that), then thats fine. I am all about speed. However, you did mention all the actuation force is at the top. Is the 45g mentionned the maximum force require to actuation the key or is it the average when bottoming out? As an example, would it require 55g at the top and like 35g at the bottom for an average of like 45g? Or is 45g of actuation force the same as MX Red but it gets even lower the more you bottom out?

The 1mm actuation point is the distance you press for the key to register. However, 1mm seems quite low, much lower than any Cherry MX switches. I am not sure what it is on normal topre keyboards. I really have no experience with topre keyboards.

When you talk about double tap being easier, I am guessing it may take more time for a topre keyboard to come back to the initial position after releasing the key? I can't think of anything else. On OCN, some people claim topre are the best for double tapping because you dont have to deal with debounce time.

For bottoming out noise, have you tried these:
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads
I think they might be quieter than o-rings but I'm not sure.

For the key coming back up... you can make a topre like novatouch completely silent by doing the dental band mod or something similar. (This involves taking the keyboard apart though)
Basically you can make topre's very very silent if you want. When my HHKB was dental modded, the only sound it made were low raindrop like thuds.
I haven't tried to mod the Novatouch yet because I'm trying to source some 0.5mm thick foam disks for my next mod. (Dental band mod shortens key travel too far for my taste)

As for 1mm actuation. I can tell you this, it activates very very close to the top of the press.
The problem is, you're pressing down on a rubber dome. So basically it's almost impossible to quickly activate the key and not bottom out.

Imagine popping some bubble wrap. Initially there is resistance because of the air in the bubble, but once you over come this, there is no resistance.
Topre is like that. There is 45g necessary to cave in the bubble at the top, but once this occurs there's pretty much no resistance the rest of the way down.

Basically what that means is that on Topre, for every key press you need to go all the way down and all the way back up.
For linear cherry like red... you can float the key right around the actuation point and repeatedly actuate it with very very little movement.
That's why people say it's better for double tapping.

Topre is not like cherry at all. It's much much more like and old school membrane keyboard except with more travel, a very crisp activation and is super super smooth.
You really should try it for yourself, but I would not say it's the best type of switch for gaming. Once again, I'm just giving general advice. Personally I can use it for games just fine.
Keyboards honestly don't affect my performance in any game like a mouse or even a mouse pad does unless the switch is really heavy (which Novatouch definitely is not).

I would say wait until it shows up in store like Fry's and then go try it out before you purchase.
Another thing you can do if you are a student or have a subscription to Amazon Prime (students get this for free) is just order it through Prime Shipping.
Then try it and just return it. This is kind of shady but their return policy is like super simple.
You just click return. Then you get a thing to print out. And you drop it off at a UPS store. The UPS guys just take the package and give you a tracking number.
It takes 10 seconds. Just make sure you do this through Amazon Prime though otherwise it won't be this simple.

If you have any other questions that aren't directly Novatouch related, just PM me. I don't want to derail the thread  :thumb:

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #755 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 04:53:34 »
So if I were to get a novatouch, I would be able to do the dental band mod, however if the actuation point is 1mm, could the dental band reduce travel distance too much to a point where an unpressed key is past the actuation point?

How does the bottoming out sound compared to MX Red with o-rings? Quieter or not? I read in this thread that the o-rings are useless. Is it because the bottoming out quiet without them?

I am definitely a student amazon prime member... Its tempting.

Thanks for the information, I feel like I learned a lot about topre today. =P
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 04:56:22 by MasterBash »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #756 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 05:11:04 »
So if I were to get a novatouch, I would be able to do the dental band mod, however if the actuation point is 1mm, could the dental band reduce travel distance too much to a point where an unpressed key is past the actuation point?

Yes, this is very possible. You need very thin dental bands, or ironed soft landing pads.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline deci

« Reply #757 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 05:28:40 »

How does the bottoming out sound compared to MX Red with o-rings? Quieter or not? I read in this thread that the o-rings are useless. Is it because the bottoming out quiet without them?

I am definitely a student amazon prime member... Its tempting.

Thanks for the information, I feel like I learned a lot about topre today. =P

It's possible but unlikely unless you use like really thick ones. I used 1/8".
The travel distance is definitely shorter but nowhere near screwing up the actuation.
I don't like the feel for typing. But the shorter travel distance could be a plus for gaming I guess.

Um for bottoming out sound... I can't really make a direct comparisons because my QFR has blues in it and the only linear I have right now are blacks in completely different cases.
Plus when it comes to this, key caps make a big difference. Thin abs is probably the loudest due to the high pitched clack.
I would say though, that if you are concerned with bottom out sound. Try the landing pads from Elite Keyboards that I linked in my previous post.
The hard grey ones pretty much eliminate the noise completely, all you'll hear is the key cap coming back up which there's very little you can do about with cherry mx other than like unsoldering all your switches and coating the inside with liquid silicone or something lol. (I have heard people say you can eliminate that noise by greasing them? But I don't have any experience with that and am not sure how exactly that would work since it's still plastic hitting plastic)
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 September 2014, 05:31:59 by deci »

Offline lae

• milk tea fuzz
« Reply #758 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 05:29:48 »
Man, how this thread has blown up.
And I'm reading all 15 pages I've missed now.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #759 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 08:58:04 »
Yesterday, I improved the sound and feel of two keyboards by changing keycaps and in one case using O-rings.

Kul ES-87 with Cherry mx clears. I didn't like the sound or feel of the mx clear switches at all with the stock keycaps. I replaced the thin ABS caps with Imsto dye-sub thick PBT fitted with 40A-L O-rings. Now I actually like mx clears, and my typing speed and accuracy on the Kul are better than with any other board.

CM Novatouch. I installed the stock thin ABS caps from the Kul ES-87. I was surprised to find that this improved the sound and feel of the keyboard. One thing I noticed is that the Kul keycaps snapped into place on the hybrid Topre stems rather than just sliding on with a friction fit.

Despite these improvements to the Kul and Novatouch, overall I still prefer the sound and feel of typing on my RF 87ub 55g, HHKB Pro 2, and IBM XT, but the Kul and the Novatouch are close contenders, and I will probably add them to my keyboard rotation.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #760 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 10:00:28 »

I share Deci's assessment on the Novatouch's Topre switches vs. MX Reds for gaming — notably in regards to being able to float around the actuation on the latter, while having to go through a whole key stroke on the former. As I mentioned on the last page, MX Reds are smooth whereas the Topres have snap to them : I find Reds to cause less fatigue in the long run (I play a lot of Quake Live and strafe jumping demands busy fingers on the movement cluster). For that reason I prefer MX Reds for gaming.

In regards to 'decibel output', in my case MX Reds barely make any noise since I do not bottom out; the noise mostly comes from the switch upstroke. On the Novatoutouch bottoming out it is more or less an obligation due to the switch design.

Offline colomb

« Reply #761 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 19:36:05 »
Initial impressions:

- Packaging is excessive. I don't understand the need for something this elaborate. Feels a little gimmicky.
- The micro usb 2.0 looks WAY too fragile. I do like the braided cable.
- Depending on where I hit the left/right shift and enter key, I get a little more rattle than I would like.

The first time I typed on it, it felt a little on the lighter side. I'm going to be throwing some IMSTO PBT keycaps on here tomorrow, but even with the stock caps, it feels pretty fantastic. I'd also like to perform a silencing mod for the upstroke at some point...

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #762 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 22:32:27 »
If there is one thing that I am convinced is solid on the Novatouch, it's the Micro USB plug. Cooler Master went out of their way to make sure it would not budge.

Regarding the stabilizers, we (the testers) have reported this to Cooler Master.

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #763 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 19:23:17 »
Just received my Nova today and I got to say I am really pleased with it.  The stock keycaps feel very nice.  The actuation feels pretty light which is what I was hoping for.  It definitely feels as good as typing on an RF for me.  I will be bringing it to work tomorrow and comparing it to my RF 87 30g board.  I was planning on changing out the keycaps, but will hold off for a bit since these feels good.  The key press is nice and crisp.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #764 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 19:24:53 »
Just received my Nova today and I got to say I am really pleased with it.  The stock keycaps feel very nice.  The actuation feels pretty light which is what I was hoping for.  It definitely feels as good as typing on an RF for me.  I will be bringing it to work tomorrow and comparing it to my RF 87 30g board.  I was planning on changing out the keycaps, but will hold off for a bit since these feels good.  The key press is nice and crisp.

When you change the caps, let us know what kind of caps you use and whether you have noisy right shift/enter/backspace.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 19:45:41 »
My hhkb is in pieces, I just got my rgby mods, olivetti is primed and just gotta wait until tomorrow for the novatouch and then I'll have sweet sweet cherry capped hhkb goodness.

I'll be selling it when I'm done swapping with some black/black print realforce caps to fund the second one for my second hhkb.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #766 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 20:06:54 »
My hhkb is in pieces, I just got my rgby mods, olivetti is primed and just gotta wait until tomorrow for the novatouch and then I'll have sweet sweet cherry capped hhkb goodness.

I'll be selling it when I'm done swapping with some black/black print realforce caps to fund the second one for my second hhkb.

Looking forward to seeing this, I think you will be the first to do this landmark mod. Are you just going to leave the stock spacebar parts on the HHKB? From what I've read, the Novatouch spacebar assembly won't fit in the HHKB.

Offline deci

« Reply #767 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 01:18:26 »
So there are two problems with the Novatouch stabilizers.
One is that some of them can have loose stems. My backspace is like this and it has some rattle to it.

The other is that they have little nubs that stick up. This isn't a problem on the stock keycaps because they are tall and have a lot of clearance.
But on my Dolch (enter key for example) these nubs hit the roof of the keycap very easily. It's weird that these nubs are even there.
If you sand them off I'm pretty sure it will fix the enter and shift key clacking problem.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #768 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 01:30:09 »

Looking forward to seeing that.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #769 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 02:03:00 »
The whole thing is made by Topre as CM's OEM.

I am nitpicking here but only the switches and PCB are made by Topre. Everything else is whoever is Cooler Master's OEM in China.
Oh, well if we are nitpicking here then lets open the floodgates!

So Topre is based in Japan, but recently they have started making cheaper products in China. This means they have a factory in China. It is entirely possible that the entire keyboard is made under that one roof with Topre's approval. Having Topre to make the PCB and domes in Japan and then ship them to China for the rest to be put together would incur a huge expense.

So it's all made by the same company. If you want to call that an OEM you can, but it's not really the same as like when WASD just had costar mail them a bunch of one of their reference keyboards to brand, or like how filco's are a filco / diatec design but manufactured by costar. The OEM / client relationship is a little different in each of these cases so it's really hard to know for sure what the proper term is.
- The micro usb 2.0 looks WAY too fragile.

Turns out they are much more durable than a mini USB, despite appearances.

Offline feizor

« Reply #770 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 02:31:07 »
The whole thing is made by Topre as CM's OEM.

I am nitpicking here but only the switches and PCB are made by Topre. Everything else is whoever is Cooler Master's OEM in China.

So Topre is based in Japan, but recently they have started making cheaper products in China. This means they have a factory in China. It is entirely possible that the entire keyboard is made under that one roof with Topre's approval. Having Topre to make the PCB and domes in Japan and then ship them to China for the rest to be put together would incur a huge expense.

So it's all made by the same company. If you want to call that an OEM you can, but it's not really the same as like when WASD just had costar mail them a bunch of one of their reference keyboards to brand, or like how filco's are a filco / diatec design but manufactured by costar. The OEM / client relationship is a little different in each of these cases so it's really hard to know for sure what the proper term is.
- The micro usb 2.0 looks WAY too fragile.

Turns out they are much more durable than a mini USB, despite appearances.

I think the jack is more durable whereas the actual cable itself is less so. Much easier to replace the cable than the jack.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #771 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:46:50 »

I don't know where you get your info, but I just double checked with cooler master (I'm a novatouch beta tester) that confirmed what they originally told me: PCBs and domes are made in japan and shipped to China where the keyboard is assembled. It's something that is commonly done, I really don't see the problem.

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #772 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:15:44 »
I might need to contact Cooler Master Germany on this.
I only got a rather general "well, it's made by Topre" from them.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #773 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:23:52 »
I might need to contact Cooler Master Germany on this.
I only got a rather general "well, it's made by Topre" from them.

Cooler Master Europe just told me that.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #774 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:34:37 »

To the best of my knowledge, the Novatouch is assembled in China while the PCB and switches are made in Japan by Topre  — I have the same information as Matt3o; I am also a European beta tester. 

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #775 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 05:37:51 »
I do not doubt your statements or the fact.

I just find it funny and interesting, how this discrepancy came to be.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #776 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:58:03 »
I'm not finished yet, but I found out a bit of keyboard science.

The little stab pods for the spacebar are the same for both hhkb and novatouch and they're just pressed into the plate on both.  So you'll need to find a 6x spacebar, but you can use cherry spacebars with hhkb.

Also, it looks like the 2x stabs might swap with a slight mod, too.  BUT hhkb doesn't have enough 2x stab keys.

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #777 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 16:05:56 »
Does anyone think there will ever be a 55g version?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #778 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 16:38:36 »
One can only speculate at this point.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #779 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 16:45:28 »
The label on the bottom of my Novatouch says, "Made in China". However, my understanding from communicating with a CM rep is that the switches are a new hybrid supplied by Topre.

Regarding the micro-USB connector, I have read that the micro-USB connector is more durable than the mini-USB connector. In addition, CM has built in strain relief for the connector. They have also put the connector on the back of the case where it is easy to reach. I much prefer this location for a connector rather than putting it into a recessed area underneath the case where it is hard to reach and where it often does not provide enough clearance for many third-party USB cables to be attached and detached comfortably. The micro-USB connector is one thing that I applaud about the CM Novatouch.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #780 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:08:19 »
What I managed to gather from talking with people either from CM or close to Topre : the PCB and dome sheet are made by Topre in Japan. Switch housings and sliders are probably made by Topre in Japan. The springs are believed to be made in China.

If I get more information I'll update the info.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #781 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:01:17 »
Well, here it is both with hhkb spacebar mods and with novatouch.

It feels so good guys like seriously.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #782 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:08:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice.  Very cool   :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #783 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:11:53 »
I almost just put the caps on the novatouch because I really like how it looks and feels, too, but I'm used to the unix layout now and have 2 hhkb anyways.

I did list the novatouch with pbt caps and hhkb sliders in my sale thread, though.  It actually feels really nice and (from my memory of course) a lot like a realforce.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #784 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:18:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Reported for blasphemy towards topre gods
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #785 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:19:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Reported for blasphemy towards topre gods

It's a shame you're sending me your fakefakehackingkeyboard.  It would be a shame if something happened to it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #786 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:21:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:eek:

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #787 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:42:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'd like to see what you did with left shift and enter key stabilizer setup, those MX keys have 3 posts where the stock Topre have only one?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #788 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:09:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'd like to see what you did with left shift and enter key stabilizer setup, those MX keys have 3 posts where the stock Topre have only one?

They're just chilling on one stab atm.  I'll probably drill out the case and use some novatouch stabilizers I didn't clip when I get my next novatouch to finish my second hhkb.  Enter is wobbly to use.

Offline bianco

« Reply #789 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 20:18:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

this alone would justify getting a novatouch
although, harvesting the sliders from noppoo would be a cheaper option?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #790 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 20:19:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Certainly.  I had thought about going that route, but figured I could re-sell a novatouch with hhkb sliders easier than the noppoo plus then I didn't have to deal with a proxy.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #791 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 20:20:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That is really ****ing cool.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #792 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 20:32:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That is really ****ing cool.

My next novatouch will take a white hhkb into the realm of black on beige or white on black with rgby.  Just gotta sell this one first.

Offline bianco

« Reply #793 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 20:47:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Certainly.  I had thought about going that route, but figured I could re-sell a novatouch with hhkb sliders easier than the noppoo plus then I didn't have to deal with a proxy.

makes sense. i would probably go for this solution if i do decide to get a lighter compact keyboard to bring to office every now and then.
thanks and awesome work tjcaustin!

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #794 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:15:30 »
Does thinking about buying it, salvaging the keys and cutting down the rubber mat to make a 60% make me a bad person?
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #795 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:39:04 »
Does anyone think there will ever be a 55g version?

I read somewhere that if the 45g version sells well enough, CM might consider making a 55g version.  I am hoping ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #796 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:11:57 »
I read somewhere that if the 45g version sells well enough, CM might consider making a 55g version.  I am hoping ...

That's what I'm holding out for. I'll use the pitch black dye sub keys from Ivan to make a Realforce clone only with a proper (PBT) spacebar  :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #797 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:55:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

this is some seriously hot ****. was it a complicated mod? i'd love to do this myself, but i don't have experience messing about with topre innards so i really have no idea what to expect.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #798 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:17:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

this is some seriously hot ****. was it a complicated mod? i'd love to do this myself, but i don't have experience messing about with topre innards so i really have no idea what to expect.

More time consuming than complicated.  When I do my next hhkb, I'll probably record the process.

Offline tribade

« Reply #799 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:26:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Beautiful job tjcaustin.  Really good looking board.   :thumb:
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."