Author Topic: Tacky sticky sound after HH bottom out.  (Read 13960 times)

Offline lam47

Tacky sticky sound after HH bottom out.
« on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 18:01:35 »
I am still getting a sticky sound with my new HH.
Its after the key bottoms out. It sounds as if it gets stuck in something sticky and the sound is it becoming unstuck. Does that make sense?

Now I opened it and cleaned some of the oil away but it still does it on some keys.
Has anyone else noticed this with a new HH and has a way to stop it?

Thanks guys.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 10:31:29 »
Hi, lam

I don't have a new HHKB Pro2 to test for the issue you described above, so really can't answer on that, but I've been wondering about something somewhat related.  Other than the sticky sound issue, have you noticed any other differences in the way a "brand new" HHKP Pro2 feels or sounds from one that has been used a bit?

Mine isn't even a year old yet (I've never owned a new one), but I'm wondering if the key presses start feeling or sounding substantially different after a few months of use, or if they keep feeling pretty much the same throughout the life of the board?

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 13:14:26 »
Hey Lam, I know you don't eat around your keyboards, but maybe you shouldn't spank it around them either.

And ozar, my first HHKB Pro 2 was a year old when I bought it, and I used it for a year and sold it to Pook. This new one took a few weeks to loosen up right and now it is just as I remember the old one. Same sound, same satisfying Topre feel and all that. The reason I did this was to get a printed white one — my old one was a printed black model.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2009, 13:19:46 by xsphat »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 13:15:32 »
And neither of my HHKB Pro2s have done this, and I bought one used and one new.

Offline lam47

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 13:23:25 »
Mine is still making the sticky sound :(
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline ozar

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 13:37:43 »
Quote from: xsphat;87085

And ozar, my first HHKB Pro 2 was a year old when I bought it, and I used it for a year and sold it to Pook. This new one took a few weeks to loosen up right and now it is just as I remember the old one. Same sound, same satisfying Topre feel and all that. The reason I did this was to get a printed white one — my old one was a printed black model.

xsphat - thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was wondering about.

I'm considering buying another one myself, but haven't decided whether to go with black or another white model.  I'm really leaning toward the white version.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 18:42:45 »
Quote from: ripster;87123
Unless of course someone in the factory was munching on a caramel bar while assembling.r

Pocky you mean

hope you get it resolved

Offline lam47

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 19:42:55 »
I have re seated all of the springs and rubber domes :(
What I have not tried is to check the underside of the back shafts or the top of the rubber.
I may open it later and have a look. You know it is there ever so slightly on some of they keys on the realforce. I think it is just new parts that need to wear a bit to be honest.
Still It wont hurt to have a look will it.
Thanks guys.

Offline anitract

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 14:53:59 »
I just got my new hhkb pro 2 today no sticky sound that I can detect.  Some keys do have slightly different pitches and I do notice a bit of a plastic "ring" if I come off a key harshly (if that makes any sense), but it is not an unpleasant sound at all.

Offline lam47

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 15:05:30 »
A way to see if you have the same sound is to push the key all the way down firmly. Hold it there and then slowly let it come up. See if there is any sort of tackiness to it.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 17:58:41 »
Does this happen with all the keys?h Or is it only certain ones?
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline ssb

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 18:19:04 »
Quote from: lam47;87275
Hold it there and then slowly let it come up. See if there is any sort of tackiness to it.
Well, I've noticed something similar with a few keys of my 87U; From a distance it definitely sounds like something is becoming unstuck.
Did you try with a naked board? Does it sound the same when pushing rubber dome with your finger?
Please excuse my poor English.

Offline lam47

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 03:34:13 »
Just gave it a go with just the domes and they do do it. So its unrelated to the sliders.
I still think it is most likely just because the board is new and the rubber needs to wear in.

Offline ssb

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 04:21:30 »
Quote from: lam47;87344
Just gave it a go with just the domes and they do do it. So its unrelated to the sliders.
I still think it is most likely just because the board is new and the rubber needs to wear in.

Did you try with just the dome without spring? I wonder if it's the spring actually that produces this sound.

Offline lam47

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 06:49:04 »
I didnt think to do that no! I might have another go Later and see if I can find out for sure what is causing it.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 07:58:18 »
My guess would be that ventilation does not work as intended for the affected domes. Obviously if air can't be drawn back in quickly enough, you'll get a "suction cap" effect.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline ssb

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 18:16:39 »
Quote from: ripster;87365
Could be that British fog too...
Hmm, seems that the British fog drifted southward over Greece because I notice the same "Torpe fart" issue on my 87U. :lol:

Offline ozar

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 19:39:35 »
Quote from: ssb;87454
Hmm, seems that the British fog drifted southward over Greece because I notice the same "Torpe fart" issue on my 87U. :lol:

Once I get my 87U back on the desktop, I'll check for the same issue, but I don't recall having any such sounds with it from before.

Offline anitract

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 08:22:43 »
Using the method described here, I cannot get my new hhkb to stick...but I am still in the break-in period.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 08:46:57 »
Quote from: ssb;87454

Out of curiosity, how long have you had your 87u?
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline ozar

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 April 2009, 22:45:30 »
lam, I ordered a new HHKB Pro 2 earlier today, so when it comes in I'll check it for this issue and report back if it makes the same sticky noise.

Offline ssb

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 03:19:12 »
Quote from: Korbin;87524
Out of curiosity, how long have you had your 87u?

Just a few days! Still in break-in phase. :smile:

Offline lam47

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 04:45:36 »
Thanks all. It is seriously annoying me now!

Offline ssb

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 04:50:47 »
Quote from: lam47;87706
Thanks all. It is seriously annoying me now!

Give it some time!
Honestly I don't find it particularly annoying. After all, this sticky sound is nothing when compared to sounds produced from mechanical switches. I wish it will disappear after break-in period though!
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2009, 04:57:19 by ssb »

Offline lam47

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 05:04:20 »
Yeah but I like the mechanical switch sound. Its supposed to be like that.
This is annoying as its not every key and makes me feel like there is something nasty under the ones that do it. Spoils the experience a bit. I am probably overly sensitive to sounds and to the feel of things too. I cant use my new Dell 101 as the lasered keys feel horrible on my poor fingers :)
Stlensbar is going to ask PFU after the Japanese holiday if they know what it is and if there is a fix.

Offline ssb

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 05:24:11 »
I've noticed that even those keys that didn't produce this sound, started to do so after being used for a while.
I'm not sure if it's dome, but still sounds like a spring noise to me. Put your ear onto the back cover and try one of those keys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2009, 05:31:45 by ssb »

Offline ssb

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 09:49:15 »
Quote from: ripster;87739
I hear the ocean.
Ha ha haa :lol:

Did you try doing this? I had not noticed the sticky sound until following these steps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2009, 09:55:11 by ssb »

Offline lam47

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 10:52:10 »
exactly rip! nice analogy.

Offline ozar

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 12:24:18 »
For the record, I just tested about a dozen or so keys on my used and broken in HHKB Pro 2 and didn't hear the described noise on any of them.

Offline lam47

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 13:06:24 »
The white one Ozar has never did it when I had it either. I think it could well be a break in thing.

Offline ozar

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 12:39:07 »
Hey, lam

The new HHKB Pro 2 arrived today, and it does indeed have the sticky key sound(s) on some of the keys.  It is very quiet, though, and I'm not sure that I'd ever have noticed it had you not brought it up in this thread.  On the other hand, perhaps I would have heard it on my own after hearing it for a while.

Either way, I'll keep an eye (or an ear) on it to see if it goes away or gets worse.

Offline ozar

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 15:57:45 »
It's odd really because after typing on this board for a few hours, I'm not hearing the suction sounds at all.

Perhaps it is something that comes and goes.

Offline ozar

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 02 May 2009, 18:24:10 »
lam47

I've continued to play around with the keys on my new HHKB Pro 2, testing for that sticky key sound and it seems to be somewhat of an intermittent issue.  It's also barely perceptible at times and I literally have to put my ear next to the keyboard to hear it.  To me, it sounds like a sticky/tacky liquid substance noise of some type, but I've not taken the board apart to investigate.  Now that I understand better what to listen for, I'll pay more attention to the sounds made by the keys on the white HHKB Pro 2 the next time it's on the desktop.

Please do keep us updated should you get to the bottom of the mystery sounds.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 12:30:58 »
does it kinda sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5CeNunbHto
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline lam47

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 12:41:46 »
No that is how the board sounds normally. The sound is not really noticeable at that speed either.
The slits sound interesting.
I will open the hacker up later and take a look.
Thanks ripster :)

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 10:41:52 »
Thanks ripster!

That gas doesn't bother me, it's just that I've never heard of anything like that before and I was kinda curious about what's making that sound =D
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 11:34:45 »
I take it that dome is off your 87U? What I've noticed in some pictures of older Topre boards is that the dome design has changed over time. And I'm begging to wonder which design is in the HHKB Pro 1 and 2. I think after I start getting some of those older board I'm going to be taking them apart and see.

For reference take a look at dome in this picture:

As you can see no channels in that dome.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 23 August 2009, 12:52:48 »
The pic ripster was showing was the bottom of the dome, yours and the one you were refering to was the top.

All rubber domes and the like have some sort of gap/channels under it. If they didn't, they would get stuck, become slugish, or harder to push.

oops, sorry! I should have refreshed ripster beat me to it! =P
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2009, 12:53:57 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline defn

SpaceBar Squeak
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 06 February 2010, 23:02:45 »
Hey all.  I am actually quite okay with the "stick" sound -- but all of a sudden out of the blue my spacebar started making a weird squeaking noise.

To reproduce it I:
1. Depress the spacebar all the way (not too hard, not too soft, just the regular weight of my thumb like I'm typing the spacebar.
2. Rock the spacebar gently forward (towards the top of the board) and backward (towards the bottom of the board).

I am getting a screechy sound that doesn't happen every time, but I want to figure out how to stop it because when it happens it makes me feel like I'm typing on a piece of junk plastic kid's toy.  Not to mention it's high pitched and annoying sounding.

Anyone have any ideas?

I popped the spacebar off and ran some compressed air over everything, I tried doing the same rocking motion without the space on there, and I couldn't reproduce it, but I put the spacebar back on and lo and behold it's back.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Defn

Offline defn

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 06 February 2010, 23:09:13 »
Quick update -- I have no idea what I did but I removed the cap for the spacebar again and put it back on and for some reason it's gone.  I really have no idea what was causing it.  If anyone can solve this mystery I'd be interested to know what's causing that noise.  It sounds like like a really really tiny mouse.  Like, a baby mouse--  I guess.  Heh.

Anyway, thanks in advance all!

Defn