Author Topic: [GB] The Enabler [Shipped] Shared on OshPark  (Read 73633 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: [GB] The Enabler [All Invoices Sent]
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:11:19 »
Would be interested in seeing some examples of how people could use these PCBs to produce a final keyboard.

Such as what plates they are thinking of buying, the casing, the controller (teensy?) and other materials required.

I'm a real newb with this and I don't have any plans yet, so any direction as to what others are planning would be helpful. A brief step by step guide would be nice to, doesn't even have to be that detailed.

I am planning to hand wire an Ergodox with these and a teensy.  I still need to figure out how I am going to do the io expander, but that should be a solvable problem.  I am getting the plates from AKmalamute's GB.  This is the cheapest way for me to try out the dox layout.  I require dedicated arrow keys, so I am not sure how I will manage that.

At some point I would also like to hand wire one of Matt3o's Robot-65 Elf cases. I love my FC660C and I think this would be a great board with similar properties.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:25:15 »
I am planning to hand wire an Ergodox with these and a teensy.  I still need to figure out how I am going to do the io expander, but that should be a solvable problem.  I am getting the plates from AKmalamute's GB.  This is the cheapest way for me to try out the dox layout.  I require dedicated arrow keys, so I am not sure how I will manage that.

At some point I would also like to hand wire one of Matt3o's Robot-65 Elf cases. I love my FC660C and I think this would be a great board with similar properties.

Cool thanks, I'm hoping to put together a board similar to the awesomeness of the Robot-65 Elf. Not sure how everything is layered though which is partly my confusion. For ex:

layer 1: keycaps
layer 2: switches
layer 3: plate?
layer 4: enabler pcbs?
layer 5: casing

Like, is there another layer between 4-5? Some kind of board to fixate the individual PCBs to something?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:32:57 »

Cool thanks, I'm hoping to put together a board similar to the awesomeness of the Robot-65 Elf. Not sure how everything is layered though which is partly my confusion. For ex:

Like, is there another layer between 4-5? Some kind of board to fixate the individual PCBs to something?

There is nothing that the PCBs attach to aside from the switch.  The switch is mounted to the plate, and the plate is attached to the case.  Using these you do not attach the pcbs to the case.  They have to be plate mounted switches.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:33:57 »

Yes, the will be a layer between 4 and 5.  You will probably have to put spacers between the plate and the case.  Yes, you also require a plate because that is how the enabler pcb is held in place.  I plan to potentially use a silicon sheet in between the pcbs and the plate, but I am not sure that will work with these PCBs yet.  You can check my minimial case design thread to get an idea of the absolute minimum case you would need for this.  The clear 60% case I have in there with the standoffs (no silicon sheet) is probably the simplest visual for the requirements of your case and plate to case mounting.

The case...

Installed...

The gap for hand wired components...

Keep in mind that this is a 5mm acrylic plate, so you will likely have more room between the bottom of the plate and the back plate (the standoffs would be taller)

Offline GSimon

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:43:01 »
There is nothing that the PCBs attach to aside from the switch.  The switch is mounted to the plate, and the plate is attached to the case.  Using these you do not attach the pcbs to the case.  They have to be plate mounted switches.

Oh ok. Some plates have notches to remove switches with a switch tool, I'm guessing this wouldn't be possible to do with these PCBs correct?

Yes, the will be a layer between 4 and 5.  You will probably have to put spacers between the plate and the case.  Yes, you also require a plate because that is how the enabler pcb is held in place.  I plan to potentially use a silicon sheet in between the pcbs and the plate, but I am not sure that will work with these PCBs yet.  You can check my minimial case design thread to get an idea of the absolute minimum case you would need for this.  The clear 60% case I have in there with the standoffs (no silicon sheet) is probably the simplest visual for the requirements of your case and plate to case mounting.

The case...
Show Image

Installed...
Show Image

Show Image

Keep in mind that this is a 5mm acrylic plate, so you will likely have more room between the bottom of the plate and the back plate (the standoffs would be taller)

Thanks! Makes a lot more sense now.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:48:50 »

Oh ok. Some plates have notches to remove switches with a switch tool, I'm guessing this wouldn't be possible to do with these PCBs correct?

The case...
Show Image

Installed...
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks! Makes a lot more sense now.

You can still use a plate that has those notches.  However, you don't need them to swap spring.  You can just pop the switch out of the plate without desoldering.  Pull the switch up a bit with the wires still attached.  The PCB was designed to fit through the plate holes for both MX and alps switches.  Swap your internals, put the top back on and reseat the switch in the plate.  The one time this won't be possible is when using thick plates, ie acrylic or wood plates where the switches have to be glued down.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline GSimon

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:53:05 »
You can still use a plate that has those notches.  However, you don't need them to swap spring.  You can just pop the switch out of the plate without desoldering.  Pull the switch up a bit with the wires still attached.  The PCB was designed to fit through the plate holes for both MX and alps switches.  Swap your internals, put the top back on and reseat the switch in the plate.  The one time this won't be possible is when using thick plates, ie acrylic or wood plates where the switches have to be glued down.

Interdasting. Thanks for clarifying that!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:58:14 »
Most of the work 5hat I am using these for is refurbishing old boards.  I currently have plans for a wyse terminal board, and AEK II, and my custom board.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 22:32:05 »

Assuming you leave enough slack between PCBs when you hand wire the PCBs together.  Right?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 22:36:21 »

Assuming you leave enough slack between PCBs when you hand wire the PCBs together.  Right?

Correct

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 23:11:15 »
Paid.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with them once they show up... 
CM QFR Green

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:02:03 »
Paid :)
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline GSimon

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:43:04 »
I have another question.

I want to participate in the Ivan's Cherry Stab group buy: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60789.0

Am I looking for Plate or PCB mounted stabs? Or can it be either depending the project I intend to use these for?

Thanks

Offline geniekid

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 20:32:42 »
The Enabler PCBs for larger keys do support stabilizers I think, but that doesn't mean you have to use them.  So either type of stabs will work depending on what you want to do.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 20:51:06 »

The Enabler PCBs for larger keys do support stabilizers I think, but that doesn't mean you have to use them.  So either type of stabs will work depending on what you want to do.

Well said, geniekid. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline GSimon

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 21:08:41 »

Cool thanks, was kind of hoping it would be one or the other, because now I feel like buying both incase XD

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 21:20:36 »

Cool thanks, was kind of hoping it would be one or the other, because now I feel like buying both incase XD

The prices for ivan's GB are awesome. You can basically buy both sets for what you pay for one set elsewhere (not quite).

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:44:24 »
Paid, I guess I should do some harvesting in anticipation for this..

Offline GSimon

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 17:35:03 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:00:49 by GSimon »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:50:08 »
Received my plates last week
This *might* be the wrong thread.

...just sayin' ...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline GSimon

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:00:08 »
Received my plates last week
This *might* be the wrong thread.

...just sayin' ...

lol, so focused on my typing with this dox

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:57:35 »
Second post has been updated with payment info that i have received.  Reminders going out to the three that I have not heard from yet.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:15:54 »
Second post has been updated with payment info that i have received.  Reminders going out to the three that I have not heard from yet.

Three isn't all that bad. Nice job!

Please let us know if you find that the numbers drop below a certain MOQ, or square space if any more drop out.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:43:53 »

Three isn't all that bad. Nice job!

Please let us know if you find that the numbers drop below a certain MOQ, or square space if any more drop out.

Even if everyone that has not paid drops out we are still good on price tiers.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 23:57:45 »
The two remaining orders unpaid were canceled.  And the order email has been sent.  I will provide updates when I get them.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 22:36:03 »
I got a reply back from Dan over at OshPark.  I will get this invoice paid in the morning when I get off work.  Here is a snippet from his response.

Quote from: Dan
Hi Chris Hurlbut,
OK! I think we've gotten everything set up for you. We weren't quite able to fit all of it on our medium run panel properly, so we'll be shipping the vS20 boards a week or so after the rest of them. On the good news side though, this will be heading to the fab very soon since it fills up our panel. I figured I'd let you know in case that helps you plan things out on your end. :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: [GB] The Enabler [Fab Shop Paid]
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 19:55:28 »
The invoice has been paid.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: [GB] The Enabler [Fab Complete]
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 08:48:26 »
Fabrication is complete

Hi Chris,
Oh geez! This ticket got buried somehow. We finally got all the parts back from the fab this week, and we're wrapping it up as soon as we can find a box for it.  It's a LOT of boards. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 08:48:49 »
GhostBro is going to be so happy his new home is coming soon :D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 18:07:47 »
Fabrication is complete

Hi Chris,
Oh geez! This ticket got buried somehow. We finally got all the parts back from the fab this week, and we're wrapping it up as soon as we can find a box for it.  It's a LOT of boards. :)

this is exciting.  i just got hook up wire ordered, so thats great.  :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 16:57:58 »
Box has showed up and I must say sorting was MUCH easier than I expected.  The single unit pcbs were kept in 25x25 grids so counting out multiple hundred pcbs was painless.

All sorting is complete and I have a set of orders in one box for domestic, and another box for international orders.  Now I just need to get the rest of the shipping materials and get everything else done.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 17:07:20 »
Saw your post in the other thread, and FYI you don't need anti static bags to ship PCBs. Every PCB I've ever received from a fab has only been shrink wrapped or wrapped in paper.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 04:16:53 »
Anti static bag is required only if you have sensitive components on the PCB soldered already, if there isn't anything, nothing will be fried.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 23:53:29 »
I will be getting this shipped out sometime this week.  I apologize for the delay.  Tends to happen when you work 12 hour days and there isn't a single minute where you are off the clock and the post office is open.  Starting monday for 3 weeks my hours at work are getting cut.  I am going from 60 to 50 hours a week and from first shift to either second or third.  Right now it is looking like it is going to be second shift, 2pm to midnight. 

All orders will be mailed the same day.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:40:24 »
Having gotten used to 66 hour weeks myself, I know exactly how that goes. Happy for the update, many thanks for putting this through :)

Now I just need 250 switches. For science... You've mounted switches to a cardboard box, yeah? How did that work out for you? :p

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 15:53:28 »
Having gotten used to 66 hour weeks myself, I know exactly how that goes. Happy for the update, many thanks for putting this through :)

Now I just need 250 switches. For science... You've mounted switches to a cardboard box, yeah? How did that work out for you? :p

So long as you don't try and pull caps off it actually works surprisingly well.  The alps switches I used from an AEK II sat in there very snug.  All I did was held a plate over the cardboard and traced them with the finest tip pen I had in the house and cut the holes with an exacto knife.  I was just doing it for proof of concept type things.  There are a couple pics in the IC thread for these.  IIRC there is a link to that in this OP.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 00:29:21 »
All packages have been addressed and all customs forms have been filled out.  The one exception is i3oilermakers.  His won't fit into the bubble mailers that I got.  His will be in a box at no extra charge.

For those of you that tipped, try not to get to hasty in building your project with them.  I will have a surprise coming to you hopefully inside a week of delivery of your enabler order.  I just don't want to delay these from getting out. 

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: [GB] The Enabler [Shipped]
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 12:52:47 »
All orders have been shipped as of this morning.  All domestic orders have tracking, PM me if you want the number.  All CONUS orders are expected to be delivered either Wed, or Thur this week.  International orders, I couldn't tell ya how how long it is going to take.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:34:01 »
All orders have been shipped as of this morning.  All domestic orders have tracking, PM me if you want the number.  All CONUS orders are expected to be delivered either Wed, or Thur this week.  International orders, I couldn't tell ya how how long it is going to take.

Cooool, thanks!

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 19:51:42 »
Mine has arrived :) Picked it out of the mailbox earlier today. It's hard to believe having ordered a qty of 250 that the bubble mailer was so small :p

Thanks! Time is now to buy some switches :D

Offline geniekid

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 20:50:48 »
Got mine today :)

Has anyone bought SMT diodes for this?  I think these are perfect based on the dimensions I see in the data sheet, but if anyone has actually used SMT diodes with their Enabler I'd love to know what you used.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 11:37:58 »
Got mine yesterday.

Is there ... like, a diagram somewhere? The only thing I can tell for sure is the anode-cathode marking for, I guess an SMT LED, since the pictures show the 1N4148 being on a different side from that. Rows, Columns? I'll look again tonight but there's a lot more holes on that then I somehow had it in my head there would be ... and not much room left over for silkscreen diagramming.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline geniekid

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 12:52:38 »
Got mine yesterday.

Is there ... like, a diagram somewhere? The only thing I can tell for sure is the anode-cathode marking for, I guess an SMT LED, since the pictures show the 1N4148 being on a different side from that. Rows, Columns? I'll look again tonight but there's a lot more holes on that then I somehow had it in my head there would be ... and not much room left over for silkscreen diagramming.

+1 for an updated diagram.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:06:10 »

PadItemSilkscreenRemarks
1Resistor (External)RConnects resistor to external circuit/enabler/controller
2Switch pinsNoneSwitch (Alps or Cherry MX) pin
3Switch (External)SConnects switch to external circuit/enabler/controller
4Switch pinNoneSwitch (Alps or Cherry MX) pin
5Diode (External)DConnects diode to external circuit/enabler/controller
6Switch (External)SConnects switch to external circuit/enabler/controller
7Resitor (External)RConnects resistor to external circuit/enabler/controller
8Diode cathodeSolid barThrough diode's cathode end (Side with the bar) goes here
9LED anodeLonger legThrough hole LED's longer leg goes here
10LED (External)NoneTwo holes two connect LED to external circuit/enabler/controller
11LED cathodeShorter legThrough hole LED's shorter leg goes here
12Diode (External)DConnects diode to external circuit/enabler/controller
13Diode anodeNoneThrough diode's anode end goes here
AResistorEnclosing boxSMD Resistor goes here, no polarity so you can orient it anyway
BResistorEnclosing boxSMD Resistor goes here, no polarity so you can orient it anyway
CDiode anodeDiode symbolSMD diode's anode end goes here
DDiode cathodeDiode symbolSMD diode's cathode end (Side with the bar) goes here

1. Pads 1 & 7 - These connect resistor to external circuit and or other enablers, ideally, connect 1 from one enabler to 7 of other enabler.
2. Pads 10 - These connect LED to external circuit and or other enablers.
3. Pads 3 & 6 - These connect switch to external circuit and or other enablers, ideally, connect 3 from one enabler to 6 of other enabler. These will be the columns or rows of your switch matrix.
4. Pads 5 & 12 - These connect diode to external circuit and or other enablers, ideally, connect 5 from one enabler to 12 of other enabler. These will be the other of the two, columns or rows of the switch matrix depending on what you chose for the above.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 September 2014, 16:19:17 by MOZ »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:41:08 »
I'll upload one more image later by tomorrow, showing the internal circuit of the enabler.

EDIT: Done
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 September 2014, 16:19:46 by MOZ »

Offline osxoep

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 10:35:25 »
Mine arrived today! In the UK, BTW.

I didn't realise they were so small  :))

I will take some pictures after I charge my phone and put some trousers on.
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 16:34:56 »

Ghostbro admiring his new home.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 22:17:33 »
Got mine today. Really quick shipping to Canada.

These things look great. Looking forward to having a bit of time to play with them. These renos have gotta get done first.

Thanks for doing this melvang.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 07:55:56 »
I got mine today, many thanks. Although I wish you had written something under $20 for the value as putting $30 on it meant it cost me $18 in extra fees. Oh well.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline kronicd

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 09:12:44 »
Damn.. I saw this one way too late.

Any chance of those files being posted so I can make my own? :)