Author Topic: [GB] The Enabler [Shipped] Shared on OshPark  (Read 73630 times)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
I know this is a moot point at this point in time, but if the total quantity being ordered is anything above 120 pieces, then you should just get 600 right off the bat
600*0.25 = 150
120 * 1.25 = 150

You break even the prices at 120 pieces, and anything between 120 and 600 pieces you're paying more than you could be.

Don't mind this post, it was just something that bugged me!

Yeah we are already well over halfway to the 4k mark.
Any idea how much the savings will be at the 4000 mark? If it drops the pcb price down to $0.15 I may up my order to 300ish.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
I know this is a moot point at this point in time, but if the total quantity being ordered is anything above 120 pieces, then you should just get 600 right off the bat
600*0.25 = 150
120 * 1.25 = 150

You break even the prices at 120 pieces, and anything between 120 and 600 pieces you're paying more than you could be.

Don't mind this post, it was just something that bugged me!

Yeah we are already well over halfway to the 4k mark.
Any idea how much the savings will be at the 4000 mark? If it drops the pcb price down to $0.15 I may up my order to 300ish.

If it did drop the price to $0.15/ea at 4000 units, then anything over 2400, Melvang would order 4000. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
I don't know on a price for the over 4k mark.  When I was talking with OshPark I had no idea this would expand this much.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
If the price goes lower, I'll buy more. Handwiring switches is something I'm oddly interested in doing.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Heck I can easily enough promise to keep my $50 constant -- as we hit new price tiers I'll buy more to match. I'm guessing that brings me to 235 or so.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
In for 150, these are going to be fun to be creative with.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Yeah, if the price halves, I'll double my order! ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Did someone say Enabler? :P

I placed my order Melvang, thanks for running the buy!

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder

You may have missed my order, as you added AKmalamute's order, which is a quote of mine.

Just checked my Google docs response spreadsheet and I am not seeing your order.

Full derp on my part, I missed adding via the google doc, I thought it was just via comment. 

Apologies. 

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Moz has submitted to me gerber files for an updated version of the pcb with rounded corners and a cleaner silkscreen.  He has also provided me with files for a single switch pcb that supports pcb mount stabs for up to a 3 unit key.  I will get some images of these both, wipe everyone's order clean and provide a new order form.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
At least you're doing this day 1 and not like 2 weeks after the ordering ends. It's not that big a deal to me.

Let me know when to submit a new order.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Make sure you post that in the OP. Also, pm some people of you can.

Some people might assume their order is in and not realize they have to resubmit.

It almost happened to me.
I should have paid more attention.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Moz has submitted to me gerber files for an updated version of the pcb with rounded corners and a cleaner silkscreen.  He has also provided me with files for a single switch pcb that supports pcb mount stabs for up to a 3 unit key.  I will get some images of these both, wipe everyone's order clean and provide a new order form.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quoting myself to make sure this gets exposure.

Make sure you post that in the OP. Also, pm some people of you can.

Some people might assume their order is in and not realize they have to resubmit.

It almost happened to me.
I should have paid more attention.

I will be sending everyone an email to their paypall address as well as a PM on GH.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Shouldn't you get a prototype made of whatever you end up selling before you sell thousands of them?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
I think it's the same circuit it just looks a little different. Does that require a prototype? I don't actually know.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I think it's the same circuit it just looks a little different. Does that require a prototype? I don't actually know.

I've been in enough group buys where things get changed and I get burned and out money so I was just curious.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I looked at the preview on OshPark and the circut was tweaked a touch but not much.  I will talk to moz and see if he can revert back to the original circut and just change the outside dimensions with the new drills for the stabilizer mounts.  According to OshPark they are going to be 0.96 square inch and I am not sure if this will get above the 150 square inch for medium run MOQ. 

Though I would still very much advise on going with plate mount just because I am worried about there being to much stress on the pins of the switch.  I can not be held responsible for any damage to any of your parts when using these parts.  You have been warned.

I apologize if I am coming off as a ****, I just don't want to get screwed on this.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I have talked with Moz and he is building up the standard single switch pcb and just tweaking it a touch.  The corners are getting rounded and the silkscreen is getting cleaned up a bit but with zero change in the circuit.  With the stab version it is essentially just a bigger version with a different cutout and and some extra holes for the stabilizer mounts.  Fair warning they will only accommodate keys up to 3 units so plate mount will still be needed for the space bar.  But there will still be no change in the circuit.

Pictures will be uploaded to the OP when I receive them.  Along with an updated order form.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I can quickly do one for 6.25u and 7.00u spacebars if there is interest.

Offline SeeThruHead

In for 80 dollars worth, maybe more. Would be great if it hits that 4000 mark.

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I'm guessing all the new options will increase price?

Will all the new pieces have separate MOQ's?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I can quickly do one for 6.25u and 7.00u spacebars if there is interest.

PM incoming.

I'm guessing all the new options will increase price?

Will all the new pieces have separate MOQ's?

I will get with OshPark and get some final numbers.

Offline IronJoeJac

These look really cool, I might order some.
CM Quickfire TK (blue)    HHKB PRO 2 Black

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Is the new order form ready or should I wait still to add my order?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

Hold off for now.  Heading out for some stuff with the wife now.  I will put up a new order form tonight.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Hold off for now.  Heading out for some stuff with the wife now.  I will put up a new order form tonight.

No worries. Just checking. Enjoy your day.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Alright guys.  Here is what I am going to do.  I will offer the standard single switch PCBs without stabs and the one with stabs for 2u-3u keys in the buy.  The stab version will be offered with a disclaimer about damage to the switch pins and such.  For the version with stab locations spaced out for a space bar I have no way of testing the fit.  So these files will be posted for individuals to download and use at own risk.  Plus, I don't see these getting to the 150 square inch MOQ for medium run pricing anyway.  I still have my doubts about the small stab version hitting medium run pricing but we will see.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Super nice for you to expand your group buy like this. Thanks Melvang!

Personally, since using these PCBs will require a plate, I don't know why everyone wouldn't just use plate mounted stabs. Unless I'm missing something.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

Personally, since using these PCBs will require a plate, I don't know why everyone wouldn't just use plate mounted stabs. Unless I'm missing something.

Acrylic plate on an ergo dox would explain the short ones.  There are a few stock plates that use PCB mount stabs though.  The only one off hand that I know of is wyse terminals used a plate with PCB stabs on the space bar

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter

I haven't been able to find any plate mount stabs.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Here is a shot of the v2.0 with the plated through holes for interconnects.  Much easier soldering.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55744.msg1288883#msg1288883

At this point you would write your firmware and flash the teensy.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55744.msg1304971#msg1304971
This is the proper link for V2 I believe

I'm in for... 200? That sounds good for now.

Looks like this is going 4000+. I wonder if at this point it would be better to shop around vendors :p

Now I just gotta find me some plate mount switches.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 April 2014, 19:41:12 by dorkvader »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Plate mount switches aren't that hard to find. Fortunately.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Form responses have been reset and new form is up.  Let the ordering begin... Again :rolleyes:

Last time I promise :thumb:

Sorry for the growing pains guys.  This is my first group buy. :eek:

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Melvang -- you're doing great. Nothing to apologize for. There's adjustments in every group buy.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
ordered :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Melvang -- you're doing great. Nothing to apologize for. There's adjustments in every group buy.

+1

and i re-ordered

Offline GhostofHarry

What do i need to make the whole thing work other than these little pcbs?

a teensy as controller only?

im very interested in this but i lack knowledge and example of how to make it work :(

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

im very interested in this but i lack knowledge and example of how to make it work :(

You would need a controller of some sort (Teensy is most common) and a plate would be required as there is nothing to connect the switches to each other in the matrix aside from some hook up wire.  Think of this as a custom PCB that will fit any layout and you just order a "size of the board" by how many switches you have in it.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Ordered 300 + a small donation.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Thank you for the orders guys.  You guys all rock.

:thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Placed my reorder, which should be same as the first. Thanks again, Melvang. :)

in memoriam

Offline GhostofHarry

You would need a controller of some sort (Teensy is most common) and a plate would be required as there is nothing to connect the switches to each other in the matrix aside from some hook up wire.  Think of this as a custom PCB that will fit any layout and you just order a "size of the board" by how many switches you have in it.

So whats left is a firmware for the software end? :)

I'm in for at least 100
cuz i dont see the price now, though i remember its $0.25 after 600 orders

asking my friends if they want any so we can save shipping cost  :thumb:
thx melvang

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

I'm in for at least 100
cuz i dont see the price now, though i remember its $0.25 after 600 orders

asking my friends if they want any so we can save shipping cost  :thumb:
thx melvang

Correct.  As far as the electrical side it would just be the controller and firmware for the software side.  Then it would just be a matter of building it up with switches, case, plate and such.  Price is $1 per square inch so at 1/2"x1/2" it should work out to $0.25 each.  I have sent an email to OshPark to verify price per unit after 600 and after 4000 units.  Current total is 1399 pieces and total before the reset was around 2700 without my order inside of 12 hours of being up.

Offline pasph

Can you please do the same reference i found for V1
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55744.msg1254946#msg1254946
also for V2?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Order placed!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I have received an exact quote from OshPark on this.  Details will be in the OP.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

I will be using soarer's controller firmware on mine. It's easy to set up and I can change layouts without having to recompile anything.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
isn't somebody developing an easy way to program custom layouts?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
isn't somebody developing an easy way to program custom layouts?

There was talk but I dont think anyone has published anything yet.  I started a thread on it but most likely everything will have to be from scratch.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Current Orders in alphabetical order
Username - Without stabs - with stabs
thweir - 200 - 4

:( I was on my phone when I submitted the form, so "thweir" should be "tjweir" sorry about that.