Author Topic: Key constantly being actuated internally in model m [solved]  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
Key constantly being actuated internally in model m [solved]
« on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 02:48:39 »
I acquired another model m spacesaver earlier this week and it has started having problems with its left shift key remaining actuated internally. I.E. physically, the key is not stuck and clicks as normal (as it did this entire time up until now) but the keyboard outputs a constant left shift key press no matter the position of the key.
I've been able to confirm this by hitting caps lock and observed that this would be the only way to type in lower case. And upon replacement of the problem keyboard with a confirmed working keyboard, it takes a hit of the left shift key to put things back to normal on the system.

This only started recently, at first it was a solid performer with no problems whatsoever. Then the problem described above would occur sporadically and I thought it was my motherboard with a dying PS2 port as a restart usually fixed it. Then that wouldn't even fix it.

I've tried reseating the problem key multiple times and even replaced the spring to no avail and I'm starting to think it's something else.

Thoughts/ insight?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:51:03 by Vanilla »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Key constantly being actuated internally in model m
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 08:02:44 »
Taking some shots in the dark before the inevitable...

Do you have another M to test with?  M's draw more power and may freak out an adapter or the PS/2 port on modern boards that have them.  Try it on a different computer if possible.

Could be debris in the matrix causing it to short.   I'd give the keyboard a good thwack while positioned vertically a few times and see what happens.

If you have another M, switch controller boards.  This is a longshot but worth investigating before the inevitable...

Bolt Mod.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 10:07:41 »

Could be debris in the matrix causing it to short. 

Bolt Mod.

I would bet money that this is it, and why I always take these things completely apart when when I mod them.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 11:03:44 »
That sounds quite plausible.
Yeah I tried it with another desktop and my laptop and my wife's laptop with a blue cube. Same outcome. :(

Yes I have different m's and I'll give a controller swap a go.

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:34:51 »
Yeah, everything seems to point to a membrane problem that should be fixable if you want to take the keyboard apart and clean between the membranes.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:43:22 »
Wow I totally forgot about this thread.

Yeah, everything seems to point to a membrane problem that should be fixable if you want to take the keyboard apart and clean between the membranes.

This was indeed the case!
Thanks to this thread, I unwittingly learned how to bolt mod m's.

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:55:59 by Vanilla »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:44:30 »
Wow I totally forgot about this thread.

This was indeed the case!
Thanks to this thread, I unwittingly learned how to bolt mod m's.

A valuable skill to have :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:50:11 »
Added a picture^; would've been faster if imgur wasn't down

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Key constantly being actuated internally in model m [solved]
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:53:07 »
Ooh a SSK too, I missed that bit!

Definitely worth spending that extra bit of time and effort to rejuvenate!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CaptLock

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:20:51 »
Nice job!  I want to try a Model M someday.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 03:16:27 »
Nice job!  I want to try a Model M someday.

A worthy goal ;)

Offline hamenoskili

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:20:29 »
maybe "sticky keys" is enabled??

press the shift key 5 times in a row and it will prompt you if you want to enable them. Press no, i know it's a long shot, but still worth a try i suppose.

Cheers.