Author Topic: Kensington Slimblade Review  (Read 14350 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Kensington Slimblade Review
« on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 22:28:34 »

About a month ago, I met up with some cool GeekHackers at the Indianapolis Meetup. We played with a lot of cool keyboards and ate some good food. Since prdlm2009 was there, there was quite a few ergonomic goodies there including a Kensington Slimblade that I got to try out. I think the last time I used a trackball was when I was in elementary school. I remember I loved to roll the ball as hard as I could but that’s about all I remember. So obviously this time around, I put the trackball through its proper paces.

Aesthetics
The whole trackball is plastic. It’s got a grey body and the ball itself is a maroon; both the body and ball have some metallic-flake in it to make it look a bit shiny or reflective. It’s a nice color scheme but I would have liked to seen the red swapped out for a neutral color. Because of it being shiny and plastic, it picks up a lot of fingerprints easily. It sort of reminds me of the finish on the Razer Blackwidow or Das Keyboard Ultimate. It has a black braided USB cable that is about six feet long.

I did a quickie test and it takes up about two times the footprint of a CoolerMaster Storm Spawn or Logitech G9x. The actual dimensions, which I measured with a ruler but eyeballed a little, are as follows:
- Length from top to bottom: 6 inches
- Width from bottom left corner to right corner: 5 ¼ inches
- Width from top left to right corner: 4 ¼ inches
- Height of just the grey plastic body: 1 ¼ inches
- Height from bottom of the unit to the top of the ball: 2 inches

I didn’t find the unit too big though, especially since you don’t have to move the whole unit around.

Build Quality and Feel
The entire unit and ball are shockingly light. If it wasn’t sitting on my mousepad, I might actually be worried it could slide around. I also don’t like the drop in ball. There’s nothing holding the ball in other than the cup design. This makes for easy cleaning of the unit but it made the trackball feel cheap. Between the weight of the unit, the feeling of the switches themselves, and the drop in ball, I’d say the build quality is a six out of ten points. It’s certainly fine but I found the build quality to be lacking for what the price is. I would compare the feeling of the unit to the stock Pure or Poker case. It will get the job done but it leaves a little….something to be desired.

Another complaint I have is that the ball seemed to attract grime very easily. When the ball was dirty, it would squeak and squeal. I tried rolling it real hard to one corner to try and clean it but it still doesn’t help the noise. I found I had to clean both the ball and the cup/bearing area every two or three days. I had to clean the trackball far more often than any mice I’ve used, which was a little off putting. So  apparently I’m very dirty :(.

However, my complaints aside, it was extremely enjoyable to roll that ball around. It’s very visceral and just fun to play with. I found myself rolling it around for no reason at all. And maybe just a little, it reminded me of when I was a kid and I would just roll every trackball in the computer room when I thought no one was looking. Switching between a mouse and trackball is a nice change. The switch between the two felt great and my hands really appreciated the change in pointing device. Maybe it’s the same reason I find myself switching keyboards often.

One thing that I really can’t compromise on is the issue that the unit is “low profile”, as marketed by Kensington. This sounds great but the distance between the top of the ball and the button is too far in my opinion. It makes the operation a little awkward, especially since I have small hands.

Control

Hand position on the Slimblade

I used the trackball as my primary pointing device for about two weeks. I found that for surfing the internet, writing reviews, and spamming Geekhack, the trackball was very comfortable to use. It wasn’t too fatiguing and I enjoyed the experience. However, I ran into issues when I tried gaming with it. Because of the placement of the ball to the buttons, I felt like I gave up precise control and I found playing games like Diablo 3 were not comfortable. During the game, it felt as if I was playing guitar where my hands were going all over the frets. When I’m playing video games that require some coordination, I don’t want to roll the ball then have to navigate the distance to the buttons. I’m used to having all the control literally at my fingertips with a mouse and the scroll wheel.  I could see playing an FPS or perhaps a slower game like Civ5 with a trackball though. I don’t think it would be very efficient to play StarCraft 2 and I already stated using the trackball with Diablo 3.

The buttons are sort of L shaped and spaced in 4 quadrants around the body of the ball. When I first started using the mouse, I didn’t realize that the buttons actually actuated at the center of the body where the two seams meet. I would press the buttons at a lower spot and thought that it was weird that button wasn’t that responsive.  It is not intuitive to press the button in the EXACT location if the design has this huge shaped button with seams.  It makes much more sense to me to have an actual button to press such as the Logitech Trackman, CST LTrac, or most mice.

What I absolutely loved was the twist motion to scroll up and down. I found this to be very intuitive and comfortable. It would be very nice to have this feature on a CST. But now that I’ve thought about it a little, maybe the scroll only works because the ball is so high up out of the body of the Slimblade unit.

Final Thoughts
I really enjoyed the trackball when using it to write reviews, post on Geekhack, and for general internet surfing. I wasn’t so convinced on using the trackball to play games with. This experience leaves me very conflicted because I don’t really have the desk tray space to hold a mouse and a trackball. So I’m not sure it would be worth it to me to buy a trackball since I’d have to unplug and plug it in  a lot. Plus I still haven’t tried any of the CST products or other trackballs. I think for now I’ll just say the Slimblade had some issues for me but it was a pleasant experience overall. I’ll have to do more testing with trackballs before deciding on buying one.

I forgot to mention this earlier but thank you to prdlm2009 for lending me this Slimblade!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:05:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Kensington Slimblade Review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:06:17 »
It sounds like most of your issues stem from the way you use the trackball. I rest my thumb on the front edge of the primary button, pinkie or outer side of my palm exactly on the other side and the remaining three fingers or the front part of my palm on the ball itself. Someone, keymaster I think, has mentioned that he controls the ball with his thumb and rests his hand on the side. In other words, there are many ways to control ambidextrous trackballs.

The case is much lower than on DT225 and other industrial trackballs, thus it's possible to rest the wrist on the desk/tray, if it's high enough to avoid vertical bending of the wrist.

I do agree that the case and switches feel cheap (much worse than the rough surface and Japanese omrons on the DT225), although I don't consider the open ball mounting to be a problem at all.

BTW take a look at Logitech TrackMan Marble, it's cheap, small (takes up about half of slimblade's width) relatively sensitive and as  smooth as the slimblade IIRC (definitely smoother than industrial opto-mechanical trackballs).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:12:24 »
It sounds like most of your issues stem from the way you use the trackball. I rest my thumb on the front edge of the primary button, pinkie or outer side of my palm exactly on the other side and the remaining three fingers or the front part of my palm on the ball itself. In other words, there are many ways to control ambidextrous trackballs.

The case is much lower than on DT225 and other industrial trackballs, thus it's possible to rest the wrist on the desk/tray, if it's high enough to avoid vertical bending of the wrist.

I think I was trying to control the ball in the same way you were but my hands couldn't comfortable reach the top of the ball and the buttons. I found that position to be most comfortable as well as controlling the ball with just my index and middle, the ring rests on the edge, and thumb/pinky actuate the buttons. Regardless, I think you're right and I may need to play with different hand positions more.

And I actually found that resting my wrist on the desk/tray made it harder for me to control the ball. It was better with my wrist elevated as shown in the picture. But maybe that picture is a little off since I was standing...

BTW take a look at Logitech TrackMan Marble, it's cheap, small (takes up about half of slimblade's width) relatively sensitive and as smooth as the slimblade IIRC (definitely smoother than industrial opto-mechanical trackballs).

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to look into it :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:15:28 by CPTBadAss »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:14:13 »
Great review CPT, I had the same issue of the trackball slipping unless I planted it on a mouse pad. Considering the cost of the Kensington, I thought the button clicks felt really hollow/cheap. I haven't tried the CST yet and I'm new to the trackball scene but it definitely wasn't for me, it's quite possibly that trackballs aren't for me in general. Might be cool if you want to touch down on a couple games of Centipede tho! :P

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:21:26 »
That actually surprised me, because mine sits perfectly on my tray even with no mat (usually SS QcK) underneath.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:00:19 »

Another complaint I have is that the ball seemed to attract grime very easily. When the ball was dirty, it would squeak and squeal. I tried rolling it real hard to one corner to try and clean it but it still doesn’t help the noise. I found I had to clean both the ball and the cup/bearing area every two or three days. I had to clean the trackball far more often than any mice I’ve used, which was a little off putting. So  apparently I’m very dirty :(.

Yes, you are filthy.  I am surprised that you never noticed or nobody ever told you.  Now send me back my trackball.  And make sure to clean it.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:05:21 »
This thread just got really harsh :(

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:12:13 »
I used to be really into trackballs but now I just... meh.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:13:42 »
What don't you like about them now? Or did you just lose interest?

Offline yuiop

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:26:06 »
Bought this when it first came out five six years ago.  I've been using it as my main pointing device ever since and never looked back.
It does attract a lot of dirt/gunk compared to other trackballs but cleaning is easy enough I don't have a huge problem with it.
As for gaming, I don't play games at all.  You probably don't want to use this or any other trackball for gaming.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:28:14 »
I think meeba in the IRC channel and some others use a trackball to play video games so I wanted to try it for myself. I'm going to get to try out a CST this weekend so hopefully I'll figure out one way or another if I like trackballs for gaming. It was a no for the Slimblade as I said though.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:40:10 »
I'm so used to trackballs I can see myself gaming with one if it's FPS and RPG etc. but games like starcraft would be very difficult.  It'd be very hard to click and drag with speed & precision.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:25:46 »

I just got sick of moving my fingers I think, moving the wrist is a lot easier and just seems more natural to me. I have all my mice set to 4000 dpi so I can do anything I want with minimal movement. I also got sick of cleaning the damn things.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 12:57:38 »

Sorry, jk.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:00:57 by prdlm2009 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:02:49 »
I think meeba in the IRC channel and some others use a trackball to play video games so I wanted to try it for myself. I'm going to get to try out a CST this weekend so hopefully I'll figure out one way or another if I like trackballs for gaming. It was a no for the Slimblade as I said though.

The CST will definitely have a less-cheap feel, but that trackball has its own hangups, like the position of the scroll wheel.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 09:31:18 »

I just got sick of moving my fingers I think, moving the wrist is a lot easier and just seems more natural to me. I have all my mice set to 4000 dpi so I can do anything I want with minimal movement. I also got sick of cleaning the damn things.

Makes sense. I was tired of cleaning it after a couple weeks too.

The CST will definitely have a less-cheap feel, but that trackball has its own hangups, like the position of the scroll wheel.

Yeah I was thinking that if I got a CST, I'd get the one with the...ability to add extra switches? I forget what that's called exactly.

Offline piglickjf

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 10:11:30 »

I hope you're planning on doing a review of the CST as well. I've been looking at the Kensington Slimblade and Expert Mouse (which is ironically a trackball) and the CST for awhile now. I currently use the Kensington Orbit, been using it for years and like it, but I wouldn't mind having some extra buttons and scroll capability. I just don't know which of the three would suit me best. They're rare enough that I've never found any in stores to try out, and too expensive just to buy them to sample them though, so I'm always eager for reviews of any of them.

PigLick

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 12:59:56 »

Makes sense. I was tired of cleaning it after a couple weeks too.

Yeah I was thinking that if I got a CST, I'd get the one with the...ability to add extra switches? I forget what that's called exactly.

Here ya go:  http://clearlysuperiortech.com/cst2545-5wproductpage.html

You can add two extra switches.  I had one of those for awhile, too.  Got rid of it because I fell in love with the Rollermouse.  It has some programmable software, but I think that it only works on Windows.  That was another reason I got rid of it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:02:35 »
I hope you're planning on doing a review of the CST as well. I've been looking at the Kensington Slimblade and Expert Mouse (which is ironically a trackball) and the CST for awhile now. I currently use the Kensington Orbit, been using it for years and like it, but I wouldn't mind having some extra buttons and scroll capability. I just don't know which of the three would suit me best. They're rare enough that I've never found any in stores to try out, and too expensive just to buy them to sample them though, so I'm always eager for reviews of any of them.

PigLick

I'm not sure I'll have it long enough to do a review on it. But let me see if I can borrow one from someone for longer term.

Here ya go:  http://clearlysuperiortech.com/cst2545-5wproductpage.html

You can add two extra switches.  I had one of those for awhile, too.  Got rid of it because I fell in love with the Rollermouse.  It has some programmable software, but I think that it only works on Windows.  That was another reason I got rid of it.

Yeah! That's the one, thanks for the link. I liked the idea of making a Sanwa switch block for pages up and down.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 19:04:20 »
Just got back to using this for the first time since you sent it back to me.  Gosh this thing feels cheap. 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 19:05:18 »
For what you pay for the Slimblade, I'm surprised how cheap the unit feels.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 19:56:31 »
i've had one for a couple years-- don't think i paid a lot for it when i got it if i recall?

i like configuration in my hand and the weight

the scroll wheel or ball i guess u would call it is pretty insane and nice

i haven't notice it lag...........
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:00:15 »
i've had one for a couple years-- don't think i paid a lot for it when i got it if i recall?

i like configuration in my hand and the weight

the scroll wheel or ball i guess u would call it is pretty insane and nice

i haven't notice it lag...........

this one
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:02:13 by terrpn »
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:01:20 »
That looks absurdly small. I don't think I'd use that.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:04:33 »
sorry................just saw u were talk abt the big boy

for what it's worth the mice are decent...............little balls and all
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:08:02 »
For what you pay for the Slimblade, I'm surprised how cheap the unit feels.

Yea, I agree.  I was able to get my unit for a tad cheaper off Ebay, and have not had any problems.  I love the functionality, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:14:22 »
That looks absurdly small. I don't think I'd use that.

I am sure you figured this out, but that tiny trackball is only for scrolling.  I think.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:40:18 »
Thanks for the review Cpt.

I was wondering why you would need to unplug the trackball a lot when using it with a normal mouse. You can actually leave the trackball plugged in with a mouse and use either one. What I do personally is just use the trackball for normal use. But when I play games like FPS. I simply position it under my monitor to make room for my mouse. Takes literally 3 seconds. This way, you can kind of have the best of both worlds (desk is large enough to just have mouse sitting next to the trackball though).

Even if this was not a possibility, you could buy an USB switch and toggle between input devices.

One thing you do need to do though, i found, is adjust your mouse settings for when you are using the trackball and when you are using the mouse. However, this should not be an issue, as there is software that enables  you to swap very fast, and even software that enables you to specify different settings for each input device.

Also, maybe cpt you should stop using desktop trays. Especially if you like gaming a lot. I personally really do not like using them simply because of how easily you run out of space.  I also find it hard to set them up in a comfortable and ergonomic way. This seems practically impossible if you have a desk that you work on as well as use for typing with a tray. I find that the desk is either too high for work on the desk, or too low for typing in the tray. My desk had a tray. I ended up lowering the desk, taking out the tray, and put my keyboard and mouse on the desk instead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:47:32 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:19:51 »
Tray works for me ergonomically. So I make my devices conform to my setup. That means I may have to unplug the trackball to move it out of the way.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:43:25 »
Tray works for me ergonomically. So I make my devices conform to my setup. That means I may have to unplug the trackball to move it out of the way.

Ah I see.

Sorry for my rant about the evilness that is the keyboard tray. I just had such bad experiences with it. Though obviously we are all different, and what might not work for me, can work perfectly for someone else.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:45:30 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 09:15:40 »

Why can't you be gangster and appreciate yer dirteh?  geeze your review is so PG it makes me want to show it to sheltered children.

BTW I hear you about the profile of the device..  the one redeeming factor for me was the size of the buttons.  That alone helped with the awkward distance required to press the damn things.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 09:17:08 »
YOU'RE TOO PG BINGE  :(

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 10:29:40 »
It sounds like most of your issues stem from the way you use the trackball. I rest my thumb on the front edge of the primary button, pinkie or outer side of my palm exactly on the other side and the remaining three fingers or the front part of my palm on the ball itself. Someone, keymaster I think, has mentioned that he controls the ball with his thumb and rests his hand on the side. In other words, there are many ways to control ambidextrous trackballs.

I do agree that the case and switches feel cheap (much worse than the rough surface and Japanese omrons on the DT225), although I don't consider the open ball mounting to be a problem at all.

BTW take a look at Logitech TrackMan Marble, it's cheap, small (takes up about half of slimblade's width) relatively sensitive and as  smooth as the slimblade IIRC (definitely smoother than industrial opto-mechanical trackballs).

I use my ring finger to move the ball and my little finger to scroll/spin the ball.  I used to do that even when gaming, but that was a while ago and I am not competitive. But yes, Starcraft 2 can be won on average difficulty playing like that.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.