Author Topic: HHKB modded w/ 55g, Silicone Rings, and Lubed Sliders  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Shyfe

HHKB modded w/ 55g, Silicone Rings, and Lubed Sliders
« on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:10:11 »

Enjoy.

I used o2dazone's mod, except with a 0.010" thick sheet of silicone instead 0.020" and cut the rings a little smaller. I also lubed the sliders. I think it sounds pretty nice.. what do you guys think?

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: HHKB modded w/ 55g, Silicone Rings, and Lubed Sliders
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:24:09 »
Pretty cool. I did the o2 mod today too but ended up reversing it a few hours ago.  I did not like how it increased the actuation force slightly (at least it felt that way).  How would you describe 55g domes in a HHKB vs. in a Realforce?  I love my 55g realforce and am going to do a 55g dome swap in my HHKB in a few days.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 18:39:55 »
Excellent! I admire your diligence in creating a triple threat: 55g, silicone rings, and lubed sliders. Where did you get your silicone sheet for making the O-rings? To cut the rings, did you use a set of two punches? If so, what sizes?

How do the 55g Topres feel compared to the stock 45g?

Thanks.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 22:22:35 »
Sounds awesome.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:52:20 »
Excellent! I admire your diligence in creating a triple threat: 55g, silicone rings, and lubed sliders. Where did you get your silicone sheet for making the O-rings? To cut the rings, did you use a set of two punches? If so, what sizes?

How do the 55g Topres feel compared to the stock 45g?

Thanks.

The silicone sheet is from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005584R1U/ref=biss_dp_t_asn). It is really soft and does that have much structure to it like I thought it might. It's super limp and you need to be careful not to stretch it. I used 9/32" and 3/8". Although, based on the pictures I've seen of other people doing this, they used 5/16" and 7/16". However, I think I like mine better because it fits tightly around the ring whereas theirs kind of floats around. I might post a more detailed guide to this later in this.

To be honest, I don't find 55g to be a world of difference compared to 45g as many people have touted. It's pretty similar to me, just a bit heavier. There is definitely a fuller experience and more tactility to be felt with the 55g, but sometimes you can feel that it might be more fun to have a lighter switch too. I never really used 45g for more than a few minutes, though. I've only used 55g boards as daily drivers.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:54:09 »
Pretty cool. I did the o2 mod today too but ended up reversing it a few hours ago.  I did not like how it increased the actuation force slightly (at least it felt that way).  How would you describe 55g domes in a HHKB vs. in a Realforce?  I love my 55g realforce and am going to do a 55g dome swap in my HHKB in a few days.

I can understand what you're saying. For some reason, the sliders don't fall down by themselves even though the ring isn't touching the sides of the case. I'm not really sure why this is. I think it's canceled out by lubing it though. I would say my HHKB feels lighter overall. There is a bit of difference between 55g on Realforce and HHKB. I can't pin it down exactly as I've never done a side by side comparison, but I think the Realforce had a sharper sound to it.