Author Topic: Real keyboard science, not Yo Momma's lab report [FC660C domes]  (Read 5640 times)

Offline intelli78

Gentlemen, I present to you keyboard science, the like of which the world has never seen the like of which.

Ok, so VesperSAINT and I were talking about the dome weighting on the FC660C in this thread. I have owned 3 different Leo FC660Cs, and based on my experience with them, I believe that the later models have substantially heavier weighted domes than the earlier ones, even approaching RF 55g territory. I have seen other users make similar comments on GH, so I wanted to resolve this.

So, I did some real keyboard science.

Hypothesis

H0: There is no difference in dome weighting between my older model and my newer model
H1: The dome weighting on the newer model is heavier than that of the old model.

Procedures and Data Collection

I currently have 2 FC660Cs in my possession. A blank one I purchased new from EK in Feb 2014 and have used as a daily driver since then. Serial #944. The second one, printed, I purchased from another user who got it as part of an early batch last year, and used it for 2-3 months. Serial #419. So, to the best of my knowledge, they have been used an approximately equal amount, canceling out any potential difference due to "break in."

I popped off a bunch of keycaps on both keyboards, like this:

Perfect for using nickels (5 grams each). The home row is nice and flat, and with surrounding keys popped off, there is no interference with the distribution of weight.

I gently added nickels on top of each of these five keys until the domes collapsed, and recorded the weight in grams that finally triggered the collapse. When I was reaching the peak # of nickels, I gently slid them on from the side so as to not cause extra force due to downward acceleration. I did 10 trials for each of these five keys, and as my final data point, used the mode (hell yeah :) ).

Then, I did the same for the other four easily accessible keys on the home row (D, G, J, L) , for a total of nine data points per keyboard. Could have done more, obviously, but I was getting bored.

From this summary data, I could see that there was an approx. 5g difference in means in the direction I expected.

Analysis

Tested equality of variances with f test  :p

Accepted the null hypothesis, variances are equal, did t-test for means

I rejected the null hypothesis with a two-tailed test at p=0.05, there was a statistically significant difference in dome weighting between the two models, the later one being heavier.

Discussion/Conclusion

The data supported and confirmed my hypothesis, however my sample size was super small and there are tons of potential confounding variables here. However, the best analysis I can do with what I have suggests the new Leo's are really different. I would like to compare these results to a similar nickel test on an RF 55g. Even though the newer model had a mean depression force of 57.2g, I think my RF 55g (which is not handy right now) nevertheless feels heavier.

Good news: if any of you guys want to repeat the nickel test using the procedure I outlined above, I can collect your data and add it to my analysis and we can try to corroborate the hypothesis, and/or get a sense for what serial numbers have the new, heavier domes  :)

SCIENCE, *****es

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:13:23 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: Real keyboard science, not Yo Momma's lab report [FC660C domes]
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 22:57:36 »
A+ on your lab report! Well done sir.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:05:43 »
Aww shi.....I love statistics.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:24:54 »

I love methods, hate the stats.

That said, come on people, we need an n of at least 30 for each model of keyboard so that we can hit statistical significance.  And yes, that means that you should ideally be running a total of 30 tests on different switches on the keyboard in order to eliminate outliers and confirm statistical significance.

Let's science this *****.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:37:27 »
Maybe when I'm not lazy I'll dump all my spring data.
I love Elzy

Offline drinkbleach

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:42:31 »

I love methods, hate the stats.

That said, come on people, we need an n of at least 30 for each model of keyboard so that we can hit statistical significance.  And yes, that means that you should ideally be running a total of 30 tests on different switches on the keyboard in order to eliminate outliers and confirm statistical significance.

Let's science this *****.

I have a blank sn #623. I can test with Canadian nickels that weigh 3.95 g. Or see if I can go to bank and get me some US change ;)

I'll report back with my findings

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:47:49 »
I can't lie...just did this **** in stats, and I absolutely hate it, but you've definitely put it in terms I can understand.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 23:51:17 »
I can't lie...just did this **** in stats, and I absolutely hate it, but you've definitely put it in terms I can understand.

There's a reason I tried to stick with qualitative work for my Master's thesis and other research designs.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:38:08 »
[quote author=drinkbleach
I have a blank sn #623. I can test with Canadian nickels that weigh 3.95 g. Or see if I can go to bank and get me some US change ;)

I'll report back with my findings
[/quote]

Cool!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:42:29 »
****, now I want to get a FC660C to play too. This is really cool, thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 April 2014, 08:47:08 by CPTBadAss »

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 20:13:32 »
Serial # 681 (printed) reporting in; currently acquiring nickels, but I'll set aside some time this weekend to test as described by Nubbinator (30 tests on different switches on the keyboard) so I can add to your data pool. Oh and thanks for sharing, this is really interesting stuff!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 19:37:51 »
I love stats! Maybe you can do a chi squared test for homogenity between all the claimed 45g topre boards? I've heard people say they don't all feel the same.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 11:00:16 »
Question: Would it not have been better to use the same keycaps for tests on both boards, so you could eliminate any variance in cap manufactured weight?

A slightly heavier (thicker?) cap could be the difference between say a 50cn and a 55cn actuation, particularly if the true point of actuation is somewhere around 51cn.

Like the stats work, but I agree we need a larger sample size for statistically significant data. If someone feels like buying me a 660C, I'll happily contribute :P
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 13:01:35 »
wow, these findings definitely match up with my experience.  i got my 660c a month or two ago, and the "45g" is definitely noticeably heavier than my "45g brown".

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 14:52:33 »
Dye Sub PBT arriving on Monday, will report nickel findings then

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:52:13 »
Dye Sub PBT arriving on Monday, will report nickel findings then

Don't leave us hanging! :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 12:24:35 »
Nothing quite so comprehensive as the OP's, but here are my results:

5 keys tested (D, G, J, L, Right Arrow)

FC660C (Serial Number 452): 13 nickels
RealForce 55g: 14 nickels

I'm actually quite surprised by these results. For an advertised 45g board, my nickel test indicated that the 660C requires an average of 60-65g per switch, whereas the 55g RealForce requires 65-70g.

I'd normally be skeptical of these numbers, but the test isn't particularly hard to perform: 1) stack nickels on a switch until it actuates 2) count nickels.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:01:22 »
Nice report. I hate heavier switches. On the bright side I'll never go smaller than TKL so the leo is not a acquisition target.

Damn, many many moons ago I got A+ on both advanced stats courses in college.
Now reading this I can only vaguely remember what I learned, yet I can't make sense of the whole thing. So sad :(
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline intelli78

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:31:34 »
Update: I made a video to demonstrate the difference in typing sound/volume: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60984.0

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:52:02 »
Science!

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 02:06:28 »
I'm slowly working on gathering weighting data on my Leopold... so far the keys have been coming in at 55 - 60g collapse, 25-30g reset. They definitely feel heavier than my HHKB but I won't know for sure until more science ;)

I am wondering if I should fux with some pennies to get a more fine-grained measurement* but it may take kind of a ridiculously high stack to activate the switch :))
* http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.