Author Topic: [IC] DIY keyboard Bundle {Value-Edition} (Palm Rest IC)  (Read 55532 times)

Offline GhostofHarry

Re: [IC] DIY keyboard Bundle {Value-Edition} (Updated Whole keyboard look)
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 22:15:58 »
I really can't wait for the group buy! I have been holding off and trying to not buy from TaoBao through agent in hopes that this group buy will be better!

we have a lot of improvement from the one in taobao

tried to perfect this board to show that there are also fine product in china

you will no be disappointed to join this GB later :thumb:

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 23:29:34 »
I really can't wait for the group buy! I have been holding off and trying to not buy from TaoBao through agent in hopes that this group buy will be better!

Of course there are good products from China. OMG...
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 23:40:36 »

Of course there are good products from China. OMG...

and you know very well about this :p

Offline feizor

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 18:22:01 »
Hey Harry

Can you please confirm whether the silver color for the case and the plate are anodised silver or just raw aluminium? And whether the nuts for the case will be color matched?

I noticed that in your first photo the hex nuts were silver and in other photos they are black?

Thanks!

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 09:24:57 »
Hey Harry

Can you please confirm whether the silver color for the case and the plate are anodised silver or just raw aluminium? And whether the nuts for the case will be color matched?

I noticed that in your first photo the hex nuts were silver and in other photos they are black?

Thanks!

just asked

its a sanded aluminium,     raw colour of it

Offline feizor

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 09:54:53 »
Hey Harry

Thanks!

just asked

its a sanded aluminium,     raw colour of it

Ah ok, cool thanks!

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:42:47 »
This looks really great Harry!

Maybe we can start having Chinese customs now :D
;)

Offline genkidama

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:57:41 »
How much would one keyboard weigh if you used the whole bundle to put a mech together?
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline nereme

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 15:29:13 »
Deffinately might be interested in all this, need to wait and see the final price for the full bundle

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 15:48:28 »
It looks cool, but it appears to take a lot of special keys, doesn't it?

Offline ebacho

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 16:06:16 »

1.75x RShift, 1x numpad 0, 1.5x mods, and stepped caps are special keys now?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 18:52:16 »
You haven't seen the options. ;)

It supports 2.75u or 1.75u right Shift, 1.25u or 1.5u bottom-row modifiers, 7u, 6.25u or 6u Space bar,  1×1u or 1×2u numpad-+, 1u or 2u numpad-0, 1u or 2u Backspace, ISO or ANSI Return, if 1.5 mods you can choose between 1 or 2 1u keys between right Alt and Ctrl, you can have two 1u keys instead of a 1×2 numpad-Enter.

Click on the first "More" link in the first post to see some of the options for the bottom row. There is also more to see if you study pictures of the PCB carefully (links in the first post). Support for ISO Return key isn't there in the shots of the PCB, but we have been promised it for the revision that is going to be offered in this round.

This keyboard is like the GH60 + GHpad in one case, with all the layout options that it has ... plus the option of arrow-keys in the space in-between plus backlighting. And if all you wanted was a 60% keyboard with backlighting, you could order the PCB, easily cut away the numpad-portion and put that into a Poker-compatible case.
The controller is an ATmega32u4 - the same as in the Teensy and the GH60, plus a chip that helps with backlighting. I expect to be able to convert any of the open firmwares that exist out there to work with this board (without backlighting at least).

Edit: I discovered even more options that I hadn't listed above.  :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 19:23:10 by Findecanor »

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 02:27:20 »

It supports 2.75u or 1.75u right Shift, 1.25u or 1.5u bottom-row modifiers, 7u, 6.25u or 6u Space bar,  1×1u or 1×2u numpad-+, 1u or 2u numpad-0, 1u or 2u Backspace, ISO or ANSI Return, if 1.5 mods you can choose between 1 or 2 1u keys between right Alt and Ctrl, you can have two 1u keys instead of a 1×2 numpad-Enter.

Click on the first "More" link in the first post to see some of the options for the bottom row. There is also more to see if you study pictures of the PCB carefully (links in the first post). Support for ISO Return key isn't there in the shots of the PCB, but we have been promised it for the revision that is going to be offered in this round.

This keyboard is like the GH60 + GHpad in one case, with all the layout options that it has ... plus the option of arrow-keys in the space in-between plus backlighting. And if all you wanted was a 60% keyboard with backlighting, you could order the PCB, easily cut away the numpad-portion and put that into a Poker-compatible case.
The controller is an ATmega32u4 - the same as in the Teensy and the GH60, plus a chip that helps with backlighting. I expect to be able to convert any of the open firmwares that exist out there to work with this board (without backlighting at least).

yes u are correct fidecanor :thumb:

and thx for your detail explaination

Offline feizor

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 07:46:28 »
Is there much difference in feel between 1.75u right shift without stabilizer and a 2.75u stabilized right shift? I'm trying to decide on the ideal layout for me.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 08:40:31 »
Is there much difference in feel between 1.75u right shift without stabilizer and a 2.75u stabilized right shift? I'm trying to decide on the ideal layout for me.

I think that it's rather subjective, like most things with mechs. Have you tried comparing how things feel on your own mech between something like the lshift and capslock?
;)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 16:12:49 »
Ghost of Harry

Great! I haven't checked the IC threads for a long time and I see you have made so much awesome progress! I'm delighted to see so much potential.

That said, may I suggest you go easy on your option 4, the black switches? I think most geekhackers have little difficulty in getting their own switches. Blacks aren't that popular and the extra weight shipping from China is usually unnecessary when they could get switches in their own countries.

If I remember correctly Cherry MX switches are getting hard to buy in China due to lack of supply. It might be better to just forego that option. Saves you some work too!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:23:54 »
Ghost of Harry

Great! I haven't checked the IC threads for a long time and I see you have made so much awesome progress! I'm delighted to see so much potential.

That said, may I suggest you go easy on your option 4, the black switches? I think most geekhackers have little difficulty in getting their own switches. Blacks aren't that popular and the extra weight shipping from China is usually unnecessary when they could get switches in their own countries.

If I remember correctly Cherry MX switches are getting hard to buy in China due to lack of supply. It might be better to just forego that option. Saves you some work too!

Agreed, if switches will slow things down or be troublesome in anyways, it's probably better to just let people get their own.
;)

Offline feizor

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 03:28:56 »

I think that it's rather subjective, like most things with mechs. Have you tried comparing how things feel on your own mech between something like the lshift and capslock?

Good idea, I'll try the caplock.

Offline feizor

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 03:33:24 »
Ghost of Harry

The only other countries that supply switches are US and Germany AFAIK.

Maybe leave it as an option for people who don't have readily accessible suppliers of switches? As long as it doesn't cause delays for the people who don't want switches...

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:27:47 »
Just in case anybody here would love to program their board themselves, or wanna know more about how you can program your rs 77

just asked the firmware writer kairyu from china, all his fireware are open source
you can find them below

firmware for the keyboard
https://github.com/kairyu/tmk_keyboard_custom/tree/redscarfII

GUI of the system
source code: https://github.com/kairyu/tkg

website to design ur keymap : http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com
** for you to design your layout, save you layout to get the link    or use the raw data below

website to generate eep: http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/#
**simply copy your saved link or raw data of your layout and copy to this website and u can get your eep file

i am a total noob to these program stuff
but kai reminds me to thank hasu, writer of tmk
who have provide the structure of open source tmk for kai to add some additional functions to it!
THX!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:12:20 »
That's awesome! Hasu's firmware is pretty well known, and is feature-rich. The addition of backlight support and remapping in a GUI is great.

By the way, will there be any support for bicolour LEDs? I am not talking about the entire keyboard like on Ducky's  prototypes, but about being able to change the colour on the Caps Lock key when it is active.

For myself, I think I will only light the numeric row when I press the Fn key. I'm a C programmer by trade, so I could modify the firmware myself. ;)

Offline okwchin

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:54:18 »
If we don't buy a case, what other case options would we have?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:55:28 »
Will this group buy be pushed back because of the extended deadline of the TaiHao groupbuy?

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 23:08:44 »
Will this group buy be pushed back because of the extended deadline of the TaiHao groupbuy?

I'm pretty sure Harry doesn't want to run two GBs at once, so if TaiHao is going to take a bit longer, this one is probably going to as well.
;)

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:42:24 »
its ok, we can do this 2 together

The things stopping us now is that i would have to pay for the deposit for some of the item first, as there are MOQ

Also, i have helping hands besides. No worry for the workload.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:54:19 »
This kit is looking good and has a nice price. I hope it comes to life, and the leader makes a good work. I may be in for some parts of the offer. PCB, plate, and tray, switches only if brown or red are offered.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:17:25 »

yes u are correct fidecanor :thumb:

and thx for your detail explaination

Coolness, the explanation helps a lot to understand the options, this seems like a great, and flexible option for a semi custom keyboard.

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:03:20 »
a little bit of IC

Leather palm rest / Wooden Palm Rest

Which one do u prefer?

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:07:41 by GhostofHarry »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] DIY keyboard Bundle {Value-Edition} (Palm Rest IC)
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 11:22:26 »
Wow! This GB is getting better and better :)

Depending on the price I am interested in both kinds of palm rest.

Preferably a dark color that will fit most cases.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 11:35:18 »
Is the palm rest specifically designed for the length of the Red Scarf? And I'm good with either one, but have a slight preference towards wooden.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:58:33 »
Leather :D
;)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:30:52 »
+1   Leather.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:42:26 »
why not both

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 17:29:44 »
why not both

Probably to help hit MOQ?

Offline pasph

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:01:23 »
wood
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 02:11:32 »
This is downright sexy.
Tell Daddy.

Offline vultures

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 02:27:28 »
when roughly you going to get the ISO sample from your supplier?

Can't wait to join in this GB.

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 06:55:32 »
The pros and cons of leather and wood palm rest

Leather
Feel: soft touch
Structure : Latex sponge, with a metal plate under it, and wraped the top with leather
(i think we will use the highest level First layer of leather import from other country (not china) (i dunno if i stated this correctly))
Pros: machine made, short lead time, a lot of colours to choose, can create your own stamp on the leather if you are willing to pay more
Cons: errrm.... i dont know

Wooden
feel : hard touch
Structure : A cut of a naturla piece of wood with wax coated on it
Pros : Natural, Elegant, hand made,
Cons : longer lead time, may not have accurate dimension

the latest version of plate is still under production

after that i will have the ANSI sample

so I will start the GB after receiving the ANSI sample, or it will be rather late

Offline feizor

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 07:18:13 »
The pros and cons of leather and wood palm rest

Leather
Feel: soft touch
Structure : Latex sponge, with a metal plate under it, and wraped the top with leather
(i think we will use the highest level First layer of leather import from other country (not china) (i dunno if i stated this correctly))
Pros: machine made, short lead time, a lot of colours to choose, can create your own stamp on the leather if you are willing to pay more
Cons: errrm.... i dont know

Wooden
feel : hard touch
Structure : A cut of a naturla piece of wood with wax coated on it
Pros : Natural, Elegant, hand made,
Cons : longer lead time, may not have accurate dimension

the latest version of plate is still under production

after that i will have the ANSI sample

so I will start the GB after receiving the ANSI sample, or it will be rather late

Cant wait!

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 09:56:49 »
one disadvantage of leather is that, its not perfect fit for the board, the height and so
unlike wooden one, which u can adjust the height

although if we have large amount of order, we can specifically order a dimension for it.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:59:12 »
I'm not buying as I have no need and the layout is not what I want.

But I REALLY wish you guys the best.

The experience is extremely valuable.

Maybe 1 year from now you'll do another DIY bundle for a layout I want and I'll be on this like a rat jumps on big rice. (Is that song really true? Rats love rice?  :p)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline feizor

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 04:07:32 »
one disadvantage of leather is that, its not perfect fit for the board, the height and so

although if we have large amount of order, we can specifically order a dimension for it.

I have a similar leather wrist rest and yes the standard height is not quite high enough.

How do you adjust the height on the wooden ones?

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 04:39:28 »

I have a similar leather wrist rest and yes the standard height is not quite high enough.

How do you adjust the height on the wooden ones?

Simply give them the height of edge of the case and match the edge of wood palm rest

For leather.  U can never fit it as the edge of palm rest is not a sharp one

Offline nereme

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:12:34 »
+1 for leather looking forward to this GB

Offline SL89

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:31:01 »
I would say wood, but only if it is a perfect fit, if there is any chance it would have a gap or whatever, then leather would be my vote. This is the most comprehensive GB i've seen. I hope we aren't overextending ourselves.

Offline beltet

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:36:49 »
Leather! And more colors would be awesome! White for example!

Offline feizor

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 08:34:52 »
I would say wood, but only if it is a perfect fit, if there is any chance it would have a gap or whatever, then leather would be my vote. This is the most comprehensive GB i've seen. I hope we aren't overextending ourselves.

Dude try putting a book or something right up to the edge of your keyboard and type fast. The space bar becomes really hard to press.

Offline GhostofHarry

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:42:04 »
have asked about the leather one

With all the colour stated above and you can provide ur OWN logo to be stamped onto the palm rest
though extra cost will be needed as a new mold will be made to do so

Logo that they provide which do not require extra cost
More

so... customizable parts = leather colour, string colour, and logo

I'm not buying as I have no need and the layout is not what I want.

But I REALLY wish you guys the best.

The experience is extremely valuable.

Maybe 1 year from now you'll do another DIY bundle for a layout I want and I'll be on this like a rat jumps on big rice. (Is that song really true? Rats love rice?  :p)

Thx berserkfan!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:48:10 »

With all the colour stated above and you can provide ur OWN logo to be stamped onto the palm rest

More
Show Image

Even if I end up not being able to get one of the keyboard kits I would really like to get a leather TKL wrist rest with one of these logos.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 18:27:48 »

More
Show Image

:eek: My vote has changed to leather