Author Topic: [IC] Duck Viper and Eagle  (Read 86388 times)

Offline cphead

Re: [IC] Duck Viper and Eagle
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 15:39:55 »
Can anyone give me a (relatively) detailed description on the steps I need to take to assemble this board (or the lightsaver V2), or point me to a guide? I'm interested in learning how to build my own Korean custom! Would I need any aftermarket equipment (screwdriver, soldering iron, etc.)? I'm assuming that the diodes are presoldered.

Parts you need:
switches
leds (optional)
pcb stabilizers
keycaps

Tools you need:
a soldering iron/station
bunch of solder
hex screwdriver

Steps:
1. install pcb stabilizers to the holes on the pcb
2. attach switches to plate
3. solder switches (which are on plate) to pcb - now pcb and plate are one piece
4. solder leds (optional)
5. screw everything together

It's very simple once you get the soldering down, which is simple also. I'm sure other people more experienced than myself can give more advice. If you run into problems we will help you out. It's a fun process, and the end product is super satisfying. GL.

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 17:06:22 »
Can anyone give me a (relatively) detailed description on the steps I need to take to assemble this board (or the lightsaver V2), or point me to a guide? I'm interested in learning how to build my own Korean custom! Would I need any aftermarket equipment (screwdriver, soldering iron, etc.)? I'm assuming that the diodes are presoldered.

Parts you need:
switches
leds (optional)
pcb stabilizers
keycaps

Tools you need:
a soldering iron/station
bunch of solder
hex screwdriver

Steps:
3. solder switches (which are on plate) to pcb - now pcb and plate are one piece

It's very simple once you get the soldering down, which is simple also. I'm sure other people more experienced than myself can give more advice. If you run into problems we will help you out. It's a fun process, and the end product is super satisfying. GL.

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for, and also what I'm looking forward to! Do you know any video tutorials or guides I can follow while I get to this point, with all my components in front of me? I'm asking 6 months (maybe more) in advance here though haha, I'm just really excited to pursue this new hobby of mine.
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 17:13:48 »
I found WhiteFireDragon's KMAC assembly video to be a very good guide.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline MrChunky

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 17:15:26 »

Parts you need:
switches
leds (optional)
pcb stabilizers
keycaps

Tools you need:
a soldering iron/station
bunch of solder
hex screwdriver

Steps:

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for, and also what I'm looking forward to! Do you know any video tutorials or guides I can follow while I get to this point, with all my components in front of me? I'm asking 6 months (maybe more) in advance here though haha, I'm just really excited to pursue this new hobby of mine.

This one was pretty useful for me, although its for KMAC.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 23:48:19 »
Are these going to be programmable?

More than likely they'll be programmable with the same GUI tools and firmware that Duck's other boards use.

Awesome, thanks!

PS: Is it possible to just get the Duck 60% case somehow? I absolutely love Duck's case designs, and have been itching to build a 60% w/ clears from scratch.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 23:57:56 by daerid »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:37:55 »

More than likely they'll be programmable with the same GUI tools and firmware that Duck's other boards use.

Awesome, thanks!

PS: Is it possible to just get the Duck 60% case somehow? I absolutely love Duck's case designs, and have been itching to build a 60% w/ clears from scratch.

You're going to make your own PCB?  I don't think you can buy just the case alone.  You can probably sell the PCB itself...

If this group buy's going to have the same amount as this IC, this may be the biggest buy for Korean customs :O

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #156 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:39:45 »

Awesome, thanks!

You're going to make your own PCB?  I don't think you can buy just the case alone.  You can probably sell the PCB itself...

If this group buy's going to have the same amount as this IC, this may be the biggest buy for Korean customs :O

gh60 possibly?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:40:24 »

No, I'd probably get either Sprit's PCB or a GH60 PCB

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:40:58 »
Does the GH60 have the SMD leds for the bottom?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:42:02 »
GH60 doesn't even support full LED

Offline elton5354

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:55:35 »

What advantages do those 2 have over this included PCB?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:57:42 »
Probably none, but I really don't want LED/backlighting at all, and I just like the idea of the pieces all coming from difference places.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:58:13 »

What advantages do those 2 have over this included PCB?

curious about that too

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 23:16:32 »
Maybe cheaper.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:01:49 »
This might possibly be my first Korean custom and my first 60% keyboard!  :eek:
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline tbc

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:33:06 »
so the eagle DOES support poker-class pcbs?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 01:49:57 »
Might as well ask in this thread as well:

Would teal leds for the modifiers, and white for the alphas be possible?
If so, where should I source them?

Also, does anyone know if the Viper supports reactive leds, as in if I press Control, or Shift, only that particular key lights up?
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline tribade

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 02:12:24 »

Also, does anyone know if the Viper supports reactive leds, as in if I press Control, or Shift, only that particular key lights up?

What tjcaustin said to me was that 2x3x4mm leds can be found on ebay, and no place else.  I'm sure you can find different colors on there.  I don't know whether reactive leds would be possible.  I'm not familiar with duck firmware.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 02:37:22 »

What tjcaustin said to me was that 2x3x4mm leds can be found on ebay, and no place else.  I'm sure you can find different colors on there.  I don't know whether reactive leds would be possible.  I'm not familiar with duck firmware.
Thanks for the info, dude.

Can anyone who owns the Orion, or any other Duck boards comment on their LED settings?

I doubt the Viper's will be wildly different.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 09:21:44 »

Can anyone who owns the Orion, or any other Duck boards comment on their LED settings?

There's a video on duck's website showing all the LED mode of lightsaver.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
[IC] Duck Viper and Eagle
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 10:25:16 »

I needa know how to manage the LEDs on my orion
But I can tell you the LED modes don't differ too much between the viper and the other duck boards
There are 5 zones: F row, modifiers, alphas, pad, and side LEDs.
Breathing is customizable and there's this LED mode that is constantly breathing slowly, but when you type fast, it reacts and speeds up the breathing. As well, reactive lighting is standard on the alpha and is pretty sick.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 10:41:37 »
hey elton, would you possibly consider a second round of Orion TKL??
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 15:58:41 »

2x3x4mm leds? the rectilinear ones? do they fit in the switch properly like a round one?
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:07:16 »

2x3x4mm leds? the rectilinear ones? do they fit in the switch properly like a round one?

yes

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54702.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:09:13 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:18:53 »
Does anyone have a guess for what the time period is between paying and when we would actually receive the board if this does turn into a group buy? I have never participated in a group buy before, so I am pretty clueless when it comes to this. I am very tempted but the time frame may be the crutch for me. Thanks!
RETIRED

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:20:48 »
Does anyone have a guess for what the time period is between paying and when we would actually receive the board if this does turn into a group buy? I have never participated in a group buy before, so I am pretty clueless when it comes to this. I am very tempted but the time frame may be the crutch for me. Thanks!

I'd say ~2 months if everything goes smoothly. The LightSaver GB finished pretty quickly IIRC.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 21:32:49 »

I'd say ~2 months if everything goes smoothly. The LightSaver GB finished pretty quickly IIRC.
Like 3 times faster than the orion one for sure
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 13:03:34 »

how many people ordered the lightsaver? with 100 boards (~60 eagle ~40 viper) will this take longer?
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 13:16:53 »
We don't know how many who actually will participate in the GB, since it's only a IC for now. But, of course - more boards means it will take longer time to make them.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 17:00:30 »
Clearly there is interest, how long till the GB begins?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 17:01:33 »
Clearly there is interest, how long till the GB begins?

"After Lightsaver V2 group buy.  Likely the 3rd week of June." -Elton5354.

In response to this message "Sorry If this has been stated already. I have just seen "in a few months".    But when will this GB likely start and end?" -CommonCurt.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 May 2014, 17:03:29 by epzy »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 14:05:19 »
Elton informed me that Duck COULD offer titanium anodizing, but for $20 extra and only if we wouldn't complain if there was any quality issues.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 14:13:49 »
Elton informed me that Duck COULD offer titanium anodizing, but for $20 extra and only if we wouldn't complain if there was any quality issues.
I like!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:19:20 »

What potential quality issues could come up if we did go this route?  I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into if we did this.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:24:54 »
I think it's just the anodizing issue that might come up like smudging during the anodizing process, spots. etc.  To reduce this problem they chose to offer fewer colours to maintain a better quality control.

They can offer it, but they prefer not to that's why they said that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:26:52 by elton5354 »

Offline combataran

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:13:38 »
So wait, when would the GB potentially start and end if it were to happen?

Oh, and how heavy would the Viper be?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:17:04 by combataran »
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:18:30 »
So wait, when would the GB potentially start and end if it were to happen?

Oh, and how heavy would the Viper be?

Start: After LightSaver V2 GB is done.

Not sure how long it'll take to produce all the keyboards, because there's apparently a massive interest.

Offline combataran

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:07:06 »
Which keys will I be missing out on if I decide to go with a Viper instead of an Eagle?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:45:31 »
Which keys will I be missing out on if I decide to go with a Viper instead of an Eagle?

The bottom right and left keys as you can see from the pictures.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:53:54 »
So glad the GB is going to happen. Will be selling my Topre boards to fund this purchase :)

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:30:14 »
so to catch up with the thread: when will this happen?
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:49:27 »
so to catch up with the thread: when will this happen?

As soon as the LightSaver V2 GB wraps up.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:51:35 »
These are pretty sweet boards. Looking forward to watching this develop.

Offline combataran

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 11:47:28 »
How's the incline on both these boards? Close to something like the 356mini?

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 11:05:56 »
I almost bought an actual HHKB this weekend, I hope this GB happens soon!

:)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 11:31:28 »

Why not both? :D
;)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 11:36:59 »
^

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:53:04 »

That is my typical stance.  I have 2 GH60s and 2 sprit 75%s on the way, plus four current MX-Minis.  I'm going to start selling boards. :(

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:43:08 »
What's the deal with the GB? coming soon?

^

that avatar though

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:46:05 »

That is my typical stance.  I have 2 GH60s and 2 sprit 75%s on the way, plus four current MX-Minis.  I'm going to start selling boards. :(

Describe dem MX minis