Author Topic: Getting new mousepad.  (Read 6744 times)

Offline hehenri

Getting new mousepad.
« on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 16:15:52 »
I'm buying new mousepad, and would like to hear some recommendations!

I want soft pad and one that I have considered is Razer Goliathus..

Other thing I want from new pad is SIZE! It doesn't have to be gigantic, but something like 450x350mm..

If you have any opinions, share them! :)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
Re: Getting new mousepad.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:30:36 »
I use the Perixx DX 2000 XXL. I, personally, really enjoy using it. The XL sounds about the right size for you:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-DX-2000XL-Gaming-Control-Mouse/dp/B00GB0IF50
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline feizor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:33:56 »
I am also in the market for a new mouse pad. Can't decide between 450mm and 900mm models. The price is not much higher for 'twice' the amount of mouse mat...

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:34:31 »
budget?

Offline hehenri

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 01:55:34 »
I use the Perixx DX 2000 XXL. I, personally, really enjoy using it. The XL sounds about the right size for you:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-DX-2000XL-Gaming-Control-Mouse/dp/B00GB0IF50

Looks pretty good. I will definitely consider that! :)

budget?

Not really.. Would be nice to be around 50$ but I don't mind paying more for good pad!
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 01:58:13 by hehenri »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 01:58:53 »
At that price, try a artisan pad.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:01:52 »
Artisan, no contest IME.
they ship to Finland and it only takes ~4-5 days from Japan.
http://www.artisan-jp.com/all_eng.html

I'd recommend the Hien if you were thinking of the Goliathus Control, and the Hayate if Speed was on your mind.
either of those two are like the Goliathus on crack.

it would also help knowing what mouse you have. my favourite pad is actually the Raiden, but it's so picky with what mouse you use. so I can't recommend it without knowing :(

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 14:38:40 »
FUNC makes great mousepads from what I've heard. (and they are Swedish ;) )
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 19:02:10 »
Artisan, no contest IME.

The only thing you'll hate about all of Artisan's pads is the fraying of the edges (made the mistake of buying 2 of them).  If you want a real solid Mouse Pad that will NEVER fray, rip or fall apart from frenetic mousing during any game in the world, get a Roccat Hiro 3D pad.  That baby can not be damaged in any way.

Currently using one and it's 4 months old and still looks as good as when it was delivered.

I keep hearing how various mouse pads that people buy here on Geekhack and they complain incessantly on how fragile their pad is, forget that when owning a Hiro 3D - it will settle any complaints about wear-&-tear usage  :thumb: .

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 19:03:39 »
Artisan, no contest IME.

The only thing you'll hate about all of Artisan's pads is the fraying of the edges (made the mistake of buying 2 of them).  If you want a real solid Mouse Pad that will NEVER fray, rip or fall apart from frenetic mousing during any game in the world, get a Roccat Hiro 3D pad.  That baby can not be damaged in any way.

Currently using one and it's 4 months old and still looks as good as when it was delivered.

I keep hearing how various mouse pads that people buy here on Geekhack and they complain incessantly on how fragile their pad is, forget that when owning a Hiro 3D - it will settle any complaints about wear-&-tear usage  :thumb: .

What about the glass based artisan pads?

Offline feizor

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 21:13:13 »
Artisan, no contest IME.

Optical mice won't work at all with the glass coated artisan pads, but they work fine with laser mice. Depends on what mouse the OP wants to use with it.

I am also after a decent pad and have done some research. From what I gather, with regards to artisan pads, is that Hien is rough, but sturdy, does not fray as much as other artisans. Suitable for low sensitivity users.

Hayate, smoother than Hien, but is fragile and frays easily. Also attracts dust very easily.

Shiden/shiden kai, glass coated. Very fast and smooth, does not fray but does not work with optical.

I haven't come across much info on the hayabusa.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 21:22:18 »
I'm buying new mousepad, and would like to hear some recommendations!

I want soft pad and one that I have considered is Razer Goliathus..

Other thing I want from new pad is SIZE! It doesn't have to be gigantic, but something like 450x350mm..

If you have any opinions, share them! :)

+1 for goliathus. served me well for almost 5 years. another one i would recommend is the zowie g-cm. it's pretty good as well. since I've got it, the Razer has become a mat for my keyboard xD
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 21:28:39 »

Artisan Corporation doesn't make any full glass mouse pads.  THEY claim glass material but what they're really using is plain old Polyester.  That's just it, polyester material adhered to a rubber base and nothing else.

If they can confirm that they actually used glass fragments in their products then I will apologize but having both the HAYATE and SHIDENKAI there is NO glass material, because if there was any glass material in it you couldn't fold the pad nor bend it or even crease it by folding it hard.  It's just BullSh1te spread about that their mouse pads are 'glass-like' when they are not, plus using the 'Made-In-Japan' moniker seems to fool a lot of innocents out there, that it must be a good product.  Also all of their pads get extremely dirty from normal usage, if it was real glass it wouldn't even get a stain after a few weeks of usage.  Their product is nothing exemplary and in fact it's down there with standard mouse pads costing about $10, but you all know how much their products sell because of their Artisan name?

All Artisan is selling is a high-spec polyester mouse pad BUT the Roccat Hiro3D is pure burnt-silicone.  The silicone will out last their polyester range by decades easily.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 21:52:11 »
I don't know which pads you've tested but the Artisan are excellent in my opinion. none of the ones I've had have frayed on me.
understand if you're a bit angry buying two of them and both fail on you in a short time - I've done that many times with Steelseries and Razer most notably (QcK Heavy wears out in about a month, same with the QcK+ limited ones. Razer 'speed' ones are just plain... bad)

I don't think they use real glass no, but it feels like some sort of plastic material in the Shiden/ShidenKAI/Raiden - polyester isn't a bad guess then? or it could be some sort of glass-like material in the weave, who knows. I don't really care if it works very well.
the glide is really good though. precision's excellent. I feel they're well worth the money, and I've tried a *ton* of cloth pads trying to get one to replace my beloved Icemat and Slamepad (glass and aluminium pads) due to comfort issues. Raiden is the one that has done it the best so far.
the texture and weave is vastly different to any other pad I've used, what material it is I don't know - but they've lasted for a long enough time for me to say they're good. and didn't lose the precision over that time. which is really important to me. made in japan is nice though, hopefully the workers are treated well and such :p
and I have to say the Hayate is one of my least favourites, even if it's quite good. smooth and all but lacks a bit of precision. no idea what the material is.
the ShidenKAI is super picky about mouse feet though, something to keep in mind. and mine actually started crumbling when it folded in my suitcase. so there's something in it that isn't playing well with folding. not just cloth.

I'd be very curious about the Hiro 3D if it wasn't so small, gotten so used to the size of the Artisan I use now. durability is a big thing in my books.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 00:21:08 »
I like the hayate but mine gets dirty really fast. I've only had mine for just over 1 month and I've already had to use a wet microfiber to clean it 3 times. I really want to try a puretrak talent.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 00:22:58 »
I like the hayate but mine gets dirty really fast. I've only had mine for just over 1 month and I've already had to use a wet microfiber to clean it 3 times. I really want to try a puretrak talent.
Same. I love this mousepad, but it really is a dustmagnet.

Offline moukimokyu

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 01:09:49 »
I've had a mid-size (400 x 320 mm) Roccat Taito for the last eight months or so, and really really like it. Granted it's my first gaming mousepad and I've little else to compare it to, but it's a very smooth surface which doesn't get dirty easily (and it's easy to wipe down if it is). I actually ordered the 3mm but was sent the 5mm instead, and decided to keep it because the extra couple of mm made it a nice comfy spot to rest my clicking hand. The only thing is that because the edges aren't overlocked and are left 'raw' they'll almost certainly fray over time (though I've had minimal fraying on mine so far). At the moment I'm considering up-sizing to a Tesoro Aegis X4 (nearly 440mm x 370mm, and 3mm thick with sewn edges) so I can use my Taito as a keyboard mat. The Aegis X4 could be another option for you, albeit one I can't personally vouch for right now, but you'd have to like purple.  ;D

Offline hehenri

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 02:06:48 »
At that price, try a artisan pad.
Artisan, no contest IME.

I'd recommend the Hien if you were thinking of the Goliathus Control, and the Hayate if Speed was on your mind.
either of those two are like the Goliathus on crack.

it would also help knowing what mouse you have. my favourite pad is actually the Raiden, but it's so picky with what mouse you use. so I can't recommend it without knowing :(

Pretty interesting these Artisan pads, but I think I'm buying my pad inside EU..

I'm using Razer Mamba with wire!

FUNC makes great mousepads from what I've heard. (and they are Swedish ;) )

I had Surface 1030 XL, but I really didn't like it at all :(

+1 for goliathus. served me well for almost 5 years. another one i would recommend is the zowie g-cm. it's pretty good as well. since I've got it, the Razer has become a mat for my keyboard xD

I might go with Goliathus! Do you prefer control or speed? :)

Offline hehenri

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 02:10:55 »
I've had a mid-size (400 x 320 mm) Roccat Taito for the last eight months or so, and really really like it. Granted it's my first gaming mousepad and I've little else to compare it to, but it's a very smooth surface which doesn't get dirty easily (and it's easy to wipe down if it is). I actually ordered the 3mm but was sent the 5mm instead, and decided to keep it because the extra couple of mm made it a nice comfy spot to rest my clicking hand. The only thing is that because the edges aren't overlocked and are left 'raw' they'll almost certainly fray over time (though I've had minimal fraying on mine so far). At the moment I'm considering up-sizing to a Tesoro Aegis X4 (nearly 440mm x 370mm, and 3mm thick with sewn edges) so I can use my Taito as a keyboard mat. The Aegis X4 could be another option for you, albeit one I can't personally vouch for right now, but you'd have to like purple.  ;D

I have my 3 years old Roccat Sota now in use, because I have tried few pads but this has always been better than those :D

That Tesoro Aegis X4 looks pretty  cool, and its only 20$..

Offline feizor

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 02:41:00 »
A little bit off topic but has anyone tried the sakura pink version of the artisan hien? I'm just asking because it looks nice and is on sale at my local artisan stockist. My concern is tracking issues with the lighter color. I have not been able to find anything on Google about this color.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 09:15:16 »

3 times over a month? pfft, with Icemat you have to do it 3 times daily with a wet cloth. :p

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 09:39:37 »
I have my 3 years old Roccat Sota now in use, because I have tried few pads but this has always been better than those :D

I wish...

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 05:29:39 »
puretrak talent or qck heavy. very very good.

Offline persuasionlaser

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 04:26:14 »
Has no mentioned the Allsop XL?
It's a fantastic large mousepad that you can get for $15. Doesn't match the quality of Artisan but let's you save some money.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 12:07:30 »
I have the Steelseries 9HD mousepad.

It's a hardpad so it's for speed, but it's large and it cleans up nicely with a Lysol wipe. I've had it for a couple of months now and it shows no signs of wear.

I also keep a Steelseries QcK pad around in-case I want more control. Unfortunately those soft pads attract some dust and dirt and don't look so nice all the time.

But with all that said, if I could go back, I would get one of those pads that accommodates your keyboard in addition to your mouse.

This one is pretty inexpensive - XTracPads Ripper XXL
Other people seem to like getting those gun cleaning pads with instructions (idk what they are called, but they look sweet).
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Prelim

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 14:47:24 »
get the zowie g-tf speed

I have tried almost every clothpads in the market and this is the best one I've tried ever!!

review: www.infohw.com/2012/02/review-zowie-g-tf-speed/
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau