Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:31:02 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:28:32 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Vigilink vs. Skimlink?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:31:51 »
What differences do they have? Why was the change made (I'm sure more money is the reason)? Do you guys verify the security of these sites before implementing them? Is our information secure?

more information please.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:34:02 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:28:48 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:34:54 »
Whenever you click a link on this site, it clicks through Vigilink/Skimlink first, which redirects you to your final destination. They used to use the former, and I recently noticed there was a change to the latter.

What technical benefit is there to our links running through redirection services?

edit: rephrased
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:36:45 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:36:21 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:29:01 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:37:32 »
About SkimLinks:

In Their Own Words

"Our ground-breaking technology enables publishers to easily monetize online content in two ways - by converting normal product links into their equivalent affiliate links, and picking up product references in content and turning those into relevant, useful affiliate links too."

Yes, I figured as much.

Was this information publicly available before and I was just too lazy to look for it (regarding such services use on Geekhack, not the existence of said services)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:38:20 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:29:15 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:58:07 »
It's been mentioned before, by people who notice it going on. It's not necessarily hidden information, but if you don't know it's going on, no one is going to point it out to you.

I am curious and uncomfortable.

But that describes 99% of my waking hours.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:01:50 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:29:25 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:18:57 »
What The Dang can i get a signal boost in here

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS PLEASE RESPOND

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:20:15 »
What The Dang can i get a signal boost in here

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS PLEASE RESPOND

I think this falls into the 'need to know' category.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:44:52 »
Whenever you click a link on this site, it clicks through Vigilink/Skimlink first, which redirects you to your final destination. They used to use the former, and I recently noticed there was a change to the latter.

Would you be able to illustrate where this vigilink/skimlink redirect is in the process of selecting links.  I am not getting any redirects.

Nevermind I found it,

<script type="text/javascript" src="//s.skimresources.com/js/21335X794039.skimlinks.js"></script>
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:51:27 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:54:22 »
I've linked this discussion for those who are involved in the more technical aspect of maintaining this site, so they can comment.

From what I've been told, we stopped using Vigilink long ago for the desktop version of the site, but someone said that Tapatalk still redirects through it.  Never heard of Skimlink personally.  I know I used to notice slow redirects with Vigilink intermediary back when we used it, when browsing from my tablet, but that has not happened in quite a while.  (I do not use Tapatalk though).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:57:34 »
I've linked this discussion for those who are involved in the more technical aspect of maintaining this site, so they can comment.

From what I've been told, we stopped using Vigilink long ago for the desktop version of the site, but someone said that Tapatalk still redirects through it.  Never heard of Skimlink personally.  I know I used to notice slow redirects with Vigilink intermediary back when we used it, when browsing from my tablet, but that has not happened in quite a while.  (I do not use Tapatalk though).

for me the issue is absolutely not about performance. the fact that somebody is getting paid for things i click on at a community board that i have trusted not to do things like that (clearly ignorant on my part) is what upsets me. and yeah i'm sure the money is going to geekhack, but to what exactly? can you please provide some kind of report for the expenses? otherwise geekhack.org is just another potentially compromised site that is leaking my information and while there's not a LOT you can do to avoid that, i would prefer to at least know what the **** is going on.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:58:45 »
For all those interested AdBlock extension for chrome/firefox blocks the script entirely.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:59:37 »
For all those interested AdBlock extension for chrome/firefox blocks the script entirely.

That probably explains why I haven't been noticing anything...
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:00:26 »

for me the issue is absolutely not about performance. the fact that somebody is getting paid for things i click on at a community board that i have trusted not to do things like that (clearly ignorant on my part) is what upsets me. and yeah i'm sure the money is going to geekhack, but to what exactly? can you please provide some kind of report for the expenses? otherwise geekhack.org is just another potentially compromised site that is leaking my information and while there's not a LOT you can do to avoid that, i would prefer to at least know what the **** is going on.

They gotta pay the bills somehow. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:02:35 »

i am a member of another keyboard related website that has optional paid membership. they don't have this sort of problem.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:04:59 »
Yeah, TBH I'd rather pay a monthly membership fee.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:06:03 »

i am a member of another keyboard related website that has optional paid membership. they don't have this sort of problem.

Yeah I go there to...

Yeah, TBH I'd rather pay a monthly membership fee.

I think they should let us pay to get our own subforums, that'd be awesome.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:06:41 »
Regardless, can we please get some CURRENT administrative response to this?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:17:20 »
**** no is this dropping off the spy while i'm at my desk.
signal boost. what's going on mkawa?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:39:49 »
Clam Daniels! I'm furious!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:54:20 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:30:39 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:28:22 »
I'm making a ruckus.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:36:30 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:30:49 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:49:39 »
I'm feeling stranded by our administrators!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:10:43 »
viglink was invasive and annoying and doesn't help collect useful information to serve the community. skim is largely analytics engine and is not invasive.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:11:14 »
Thanks! But still
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:58:05 by sth »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:13:14 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:31:04 by esoomenona »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:57:46 »
Who Analyzes the Analyzers?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:00:55 »
here's the current setup. skimlinks wraps google analytics to give semantic-web style analytics on visitors to the forum (not members, just guests). it gives the usual google analytics: referrers, time spent on the site, exit paths, etc. i believe skimlinks also tries to pull some more structured information out of this. it tries to determine what interests guests, whether they consider signing up, what the conversion rate for signing up is, and what metrics correlate with signups.

here's the technical information on what and how it tracks:

http://skimlinks.com/visitor-cookies

you can turn it off as a guest by simply disabling cookies for our site, or by opting out of google analytics, since the core metric are gathered by google. the thing about guests is that, obviously, they don't post. however, guests visitors are in the majority of users present on any forum at any given time. we have a pretty good idea what helps you guys since you post and can be vocal about what improves the community, but the guest contingent is, by definition, silent. skimlinks obviously pushes their monetization services, but that is how _they_ monetize their userbase. However, they offer their wrapper and analytics engine for free as well as kind of a carrot-stick thing.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:21:46 »
AdBlock + Ghostery + Disconnect.me helps a bit with my paranoia... it's frightening how many trackers/analytics/etc are running on most sites.
(ghostery has no problem catching google analytics + skim links)

https://www.ghostery.com/
https://disconnect.me/
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:38:54 »
we don't track registered user activity, so no need for paranoia if you're registered :P

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:52:37 »
we don't track registered user activity, so no need for paranoia if you're registered :P
Hahah yeah I'm not too worried here... holy poop though, click on a Facebook link sometime and weep at all the crap running in the background:

(this one isn't even bad compared to some sites)
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.