Author Topic: First Mechanical: OEMMAX MCK-101 with Blue Alps  (Read 9854 times)

Offline noobicus

First Mechanical: OEMMAX MCK-101 with Blue Alps
« on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 10:20:27 »
I found this at a local thrift shop: OEMMAX MCK-101

I haven't found a ton of info on it online, but it is really fun to type on!  I need to take a picture of the switches to include in the album, but it has Blue Alps. 

I haven't used it much, as it doesn't seem to support key commands (CTRL + C, etc)... there is a switch on the back to swap it between 80286 and 8088 - maybe this will fix the issue?

Here are some pictures!  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 22:40:37 by noobicus »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: First Mechanical: OEMMAX MCK-101 with Blue Alps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 10:26:08 »
If you got actual complicated blue alps in a boxed keyboard as your first board....WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS ANYMORE!

Just kidding! :P That's a seriously amazing find for your first board. Congrats and welcome to GH!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:03:23 »
So rare nowadays that people have anything other than BS or MX as their first mech!

Offline noobicus

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:31:16 »
Is there a way to check if it is actual complicated blue alps?

Also, any tips on how to get commands to work?

Thanks!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:31:42 »

To start, post a pic of a switch. We can say with reasonable certainty yes/no just by looking at the stem. To be completely sure, you'll want to disassemble a switch, which isn't that hard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:39:16 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:06:45 »
FWIW, that's an Ortek keyboard. The "MCK" was dead giveaway, but the GM8 FCC grantee confirms it.

Ortek are confusing. For example, here's the MCK-101FX and MCK-101FTN; the former is clearly completely different to the vanilla MCK-101:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1400114/ortek-mck-101fx-keyboard

Those however are both Alps clone keyboards.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline kohi

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:08:41 »
how do the switches feel? I really want to try out either the white or blue alps switches, but a lot of people have been saying that cherry switches are superior in terms of feel and typing experience :/ guess I'll never know till I try them out.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:19:57 »
how do the switches feel? I really want to try out either the white or blue alps switches, but a lot of people have been saying that cherry switches are superior in terms of feel and typing experience :/ guess I'll never know till I try them out.

I would argue the opposite.

Your best bet based on price and availability is probably an older Focus 2001, look for one without Windows keys.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kohi

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:23:01 »
I would argue the opposite.

Your best bet based on price and availability is probably an older Focus 2001, look for one without Windows keys.

ah okay, thanks. I will look into that :thumb:

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:53:31 »

Lies and deceptions.

Also, any tips on how to get commands to work?

Thanks!

As far as commands go, those are handled by the OS. If they aren't working either the control is not working, or it's somehow blocking with only one key pressed.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 19:24:17 »
That's a Chicony KB 5161 rebranded keyboard....a very solid board!  Perhaps among the best feeling blue alps board I've used.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline noobicus

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 22:39:52 »
Pictures of the switches:

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 02:49:08 »
That's a Chicony KB 5161 rebranded keyboard....a very solid board!  Perhaps among the best feeling blue alps board I've used.

Very similar. I wonder if they're both copying Alps — they resemble the Bigfoot series and its predecessor.

The gap between F12 and Print Screen, is roughly the same size as the gap between F8 and F9, in the KB-5161. The gaps in the MCK-101 are different sizes. Very similar, but not the same.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 15:28:47 »
I haven't used it much, as it doesn't seem to support key commands (CTRL + C, etc)... there is a switch on the back to swap it between 80286 and 8088 - maybe this will fix the issue?

You want it on the "80286" setting, which corresponds with the IBM AT. That's the keyboard protocol almost all PS/2-USB adapters understand.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline noobicus

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:55:59 »

You want it on the "80286" setting, which corresponds with the IBM AT. That's the keyboard protocol almost all PS/2-USB adapters understand.

Awesome!  Will try that.  Thanks for the info, polpo!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 19:44:16 »
An ANSI layout with fat enter key and split back space, coolness! It is a shame it does not recognize combination commands.

Offline noobicus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 04:16:22 »
UPDATE!

I downloaded some testing software, and it turns out that the CTRL keys actually do work!  (And all key combinations, as would be expected.)  But... the left CTRL (which I default to) is pretty faulty.  I have to hit it from the far left of the key in order for the switch to actuate.

Is it easy to repair an ALPS switch?  Or will I need to completely replace it?  Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?  I've done very little soldering in the past, though I do have a soldering iron and some solder lying around somewhere...

Regardless, I am relieved that the keyboard is almost fully functioning.  Typing is a blast on this board!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:02:01 »
UPDATE!

I downloaded some testing software, and it turns out that the CTRL keys actually do work!  (And all key combinations, as would be expected.)  But... the left CTRL (which I default to) is pretty faulty.  I have to hit it from the far left of the key in order for the switch to actuate.

Is it easy to repair an ALPS switch?  Or will I need to completely replace it?  Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?  I've done very little soldering in the past, though I do have a soldering iron and some solder lying around somewhere...

Regardless, I am relieved that the keyboard is almost fully functioning.  Typing is a blast on this board!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

They come in and out with 2 soldered pins. For now, swap the switch with something like Scroll Lock that you never use.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:35:32 »
As stated already, the replacement of the switch is very easy.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 15:12:29 »
Or open it up and bend the contact stuff out/up and it should start actuating correctly again.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline noobicus

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 17:55:12 »
So, after much procrastination - I finally opened up the keyboard and swapped switches as everyone mentioned.  This was my first time ever playing operation on a keyboard and it turned out great!

Before swapping switches I tried bending things out inside the switch itself as False_Dmitry_II mentioned, but that didn't help the switch. 

I now have a dead Scroll Lock key and a functioning CTRL key!  Thanks to all who chimed in on the topic with feedback and advice.