Author Topic: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical  (Read 14085 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
« on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 03:32:03 »
ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical Core Gaming Mouse

So I know some people here really love this mouse.

Is this a good claw/fingertip mouse or is this designed to be a claw mouse for smaller-medium hands?
Is the 4k SROM ****?
Will this mouse break in 3 months?
Is the coating slippery?
Is this scroll wheel really as orgasmic as people say?

Should I buy this as my claw/fingertip mouse?
Thanks!

Offline Hucifer

Re: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 10:19:00 »
I've had mine for six months, although to be clear I own  Kone Pure "Core" with a 9800 Avago laser sensor but which is otherwise identical. Other mice previously owned include Logitech G400s/G9x, Steelseries Ikari, IM 3.0.

I obviously can't comment on the sensor of the Pure Optical, but here are a few observations on build quality and ergonomics:

- Great claw/fingertip mouse! Palm grippers will likely find it too small but even for a hybrid palm/claw gripper with medium sized hands (like me) this mouse feels instantly comfortable.

- Build Quality: Feels solid. Can't comment on longevity as yet but I haven't had an issues so far. It is a light mouse though, which may not be to everyone's taste - 90g vs 133g of the G400s.

Coating - Not slippery for me. The soft plastic feels lovely and smooth but I would imagine people with clammy hands might have slippage problems. I feel like a rougher texture on the sides would have alleviated this issue but there you go.

Scroll Wheel - (as I mentioned in the other thread) yes, it is glorious. Makes most other mousewheels I've tried look woefully amateurish.

Caveat empor, as always. Try it out if you can but I would give this mouse my solid recommendation, especially for claw grippers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 May 2014, 03:48:30 by Hucifer »
              Waiting on / GMK LED Keycaps

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:52:16 »
Thank you!
Much appreciated

This sounds like a good fingertip mouse for me.
I was debating between this and the roccat kova+ but I noticed the kova+ has a slightly offcenter sensor.

Offline feizor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 19:45:57 »
I'm actually debating between the kone pure optical and the zowie FK. I'm a claw gripper myself, there's not many choices out there.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 22:56:29 »
I'm actually debating between the kone pure optical and the zowie FK. I'm a claw gripper myself, there's not many choices out there.

They are both good mice, but I prefer my Kone Pure:

Nicer coating (imo)
Custom LEDs
DPI switcher
Scroll wheel way better than the FK 2013
More robust software that allows custom DPI
Omron switches

I was able to get my Kone Pure off of Amazon used so it can also be a good deal. Hope that helps!
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 23:09:44 »

They are both good mice, but I prefer my Kone Pure:

Nicer coating (imo)
Custom LEDs
DPI switcher
Scroll wheel way better than the FK 2013
More robust software that allows custom DPI
Omron switches

I was able to get my Kone Pure off of Amazon used so it can also be a good deal. Hope that helps!

If I recall you also have a Kana v2 right and you liked it better than the FK?
How's the kone stack up against the kana 2?

Offline NakedElephant

• The voice of reason
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 00:26:48 »
You should get an American brand.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 10:20:12 »
No american mice worth using that I'm aware of, but I'll throw another vote in for the Kone Pure optical.

It's an ergonomic mouse that happens to work well for me with finger-tip style grip.

The different CPI steps seem to do very well, 4k@1000Hz setting does seem to have a little jitter running paint (it's not unusable though).

The build quality seem really solid; I haven't felt a mouse built as well since the MX510 and earlier.

The coating can be slippery at first [if your hands are normally really dry], but the plastic on the sides is very soft and does get "grippier" after some time of use.

The scroll wheel is solid, yes.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 06:48:52 »
You should get an American brand.

Why?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:50:02 »
If I recall you also have a Kana v2 right and you liked it better than the FK?
How's the kone stack up against the kana 2?

They are both really good and similarly shaped.

If I had to choose just one, I would get the Kone Pure Optical solely based on number of buttons, look of the mouse, availability, and price.

I use the Kone at home (gaming) and the Kana v2 at work where I really only need the back button.

They both have similar grips and work well for me using a palm grip (small hands). I'm thinking they would both work well for a claw grip for someone with larger hands.

The mouse buttons feel great on both (I believe they both use omron).
The scroll wheels are a bit different with the Kana v2's being smoother and a little softer than the Kone Pure's. I enjoy both scroll wheels, however.

The Roccat software is good, but still didn't allow me to bind Ctrl and Shift to the side buttons (used as modifiers).
The Roccat software does TALK though which is pretty creepy at times, especially when you get an "Achievement" for clicking or scrolling a number of times.
The talking is helpful though when you switch DPI, which you can custom set to pre-set steps in the software.

I don't have much experience with the Steelseries software since I use the Kana v2 on my Unix machine. It does do DPI switching and the side button is bound to back without any software installed.

tl;dr: I prefer the Kone Pure Optical

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 17:50:49 »
I am looking for a mouse with the same palm height of my Logitech M 510. The Zowie evo I got is nice but the palm is too low. This Roccat Pure Optical looks pretty close. Also the Zowie is too long, I have small skinny hands. I'm debating getting this one..

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:46:16 »
I am looking for a mouse with the same palm height of my Logitech M 510. The Zowie evo I got is nice but the palm is too low. This Roccat Pure Optical looks pretty close. Also the Zowie is too long, I have small skinny hands. I'm debating getting this one..

I do think you should check it out!!

Here's my review of the Kone Pure Optical on Reddit!

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:56:51 »

Seems like I need to check out the Kone pure optical myself :P

Any thoughts on mice with comparable shape to the Kone? Is it that much less steep than say, a deathadder?
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 21:40:55 »
Thats a great review man! Thank You, I am going to get the Pure forsure. But I'm debating the orange over the black even though its laser not optical. I love that orange...  :eek:

Offline archer

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 10:25:58 »
I've used a number of gaming mice from several companies over the years and can confirm that the Kone Pure Optical is the best mouse that I've ever owned. The size and shape are perfect for my hands (avg size). The tactile response on the buttons and scroll wheel are great, and it uses the famed avago 3090 optical sensor.

If you have really dry hands, the matte coating on the sides can make the mouse a bit slippy.. but you get used to it. It felt slippy to me for the first week, after that i'd naturally adjusted a bit to it.. and now, it feels just fine.

Hell, I might pick up another just so I can have a backup.. just in case i break the one i own. It's that good.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 12:36:23 »
That's awesome to hear! I ordered a Pure Orange :) it's going to look amazing! Also totally realized I have claw grip, no wonder my Zowie feels so odd..

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 18:16:05 »
That's awesome to hear! I ordered a Pure Orange :) it's going to look amazing! Also totally realized I have claw grip, no wonder my Zowie feels so odd..

Might want to hold out and possibly cancel that order because the Kone Pure Military (upgraded sensor) is supposedly coming out very soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 18:26:49 by the1onewolf »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 19:08:37 »

Might want to hold out and possibly cancel that order because the Kone Pure Military (upgraded sensor) is supposedly coming out very soon.

Thanks for the post, I dont like any of those colors though. The orange is perfect!

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 19:47:25 »

What sensor will pure military have? My google-fu is weak right meow. Can't turn up anything more than 5000 DPI sensor.

How soon is very soon to you?? ☺

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:10:01 »
they say it's the same as the Rival, PixArt something3310something, over on overclock.net
and while it may be better on some things over the 3090, it has a tiny bit of (consistent, however) acceleration - if that bothers you at all.

GOSH if only I knew this one was being released... :D would have loved to try it, and could have exchanged my Logitech for that one instead of the Rival.

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:46:25 »
Thanks for the info. Adding this mouse to my radar!

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 17:29:10 »

Seems like I need to check out the Kone pure optical myself :P

Any thoughts on mice with comparable shape to the Kone? Is it that much less steep than say, a deathadder?

The Deathadder is a lot larger than the Kone Pure, which one to get depends on what size hands and what grip you use.

I think people have been moving away from Razer products recently since the software is pretty invasive/requires you to be online/register and other annoying junk like that.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:48:41 »
I already own a deathadder, so that's why I asked :p
If only the logo wasn't huge as hell, or can I turn the logo light off?
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 10:35:16 »
I already own a deathadder, so that's why I asked :p
If only the logo wasn't huge as hell, or can I turn the logo light off?

Yeah, you can turn off the logo light through the software (which isn't necessary for continued use once settings are saved). Gotta say it kind of reminds me of the Thundercats logo though, lol.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:53:17 »
I got my Kone Pure Orange today! Holy crap.. I never will switch to another mouse again, this thing is brilliant. Fits perfect in my claw/palm hand. The scrollwheel feels amazing. The Orange matches my Ducky perfect. The LED customization on the Cat is so amazing, I love it. I have it as a breathing effect going from off to pink to purple. Very eye catching but not too fast to be very distracting. Love this mouse so much!

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 20:04:40 by dustinhxc »

Offline feizor

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:43:28 »
Picking one up this weekend. So very excite!

Offline feizor

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:43:51 »
I got my Kone Pure Orange today! Holy crap.. I never will switch to another mouse again, this thing is brilliant. Fits perfect in my claw/palm hand. The scrollwheel feels amazing. The Orange matches my Ducky perfect. The LED customization on the Cat is so amazing, I love it. I have it as a breathing effect going from off to pink to purple. Very eye catching but not too fast to be very distracting. Love this mouse so much!

Show Image

Show Image

Dustin always has the best photos

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:57:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Dustin always has the best photos

Thank You! I thought these came out a bit scratchy looking but it worked. :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 03:35:06 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oh wow!

I so badly wish they made a Pure Optical Orange!

It would match my Nostalgia KBT Pure perfectly!  ;)

I like the Easy Aim feature also, that you can set a button to set the mouse DPI to a particular setting while you hold it. Great for sniping, etc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 03:41:04 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 06:15:14 »
As I have white speakers (Yamaha HS5) and as I am considering to buy the white HHKB, I am also thinking about the Kone Pure Optical White. However, I tried it in a shop and what really struck me, is the awful feel / build quality of the scroll wheel and especially the two buttons below the scroll wheel. I could push the button under the casing of the mouse easily. Scroll wheel felt very very mushy, like you can break it very easily if you use too much force. Has anybody noticed this?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:20:23 »
However, I tried it in a shop and what really struck me, is the awful feel / build quality of the scroll wheel and especially the two buttons below the scroll wheel. I could push the button under the casing of the mouse easily. Scroll wheel felt very very mushy, like you can break it very easily if you use too much force. Has anybody noticed this?

You tried the shop display version meaning your hand was probably the 1067 placed upon it.  I've seen some literally kick it across the room (the essence of youth trying to amuse themselves) unless it's been cabled hard to an immovable object.

I've got the Optical Pure and the mouse wheel is way tougher than any Logitech or Microsoft scroll wheel.  I've got a huge thumb and it hasn't been able to snap it off it's shaft, like I can do easily with any Logitech/Microsoft rodent.