Author Topic: KTOD - Do you think stickers make a difference in how the keyswitch feels?  (Read 10635 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I've maintained for a long time that stickers are for aesthetics only. I don't feel the reduction in wobble in MX switches that others claim. However, I think that it might be interesting to experiment with stickers on Alps switches since they have a much more noticeable wobble versus MX.

Do you think stickers make a difference in how the keyswitch feels?

Why or why not?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Purely for aesthetics only.

They do actually function in the way they are intended, but you can't tell any difference in actual use.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
No but I like them anyway.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline n0rvig

I do like having less wobble. I don't really notice it when typing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
The stem wobbles in the housing more than the housing halves wobble against each other. That's why you can tell no difference in use.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Not at all. I love the aesthetics though.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
+1 for aesthetics with and additional +99 with clear switch top covers :thumb:

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
now if only I could find some clear switch top covers!!!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Aesthetics only.

Make the next KTOD on vintage switches :cool:
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

You're not my real dad!

I'm divided on how they look in the clear tops because if they're not perfectly placed, it looks sloppy and throws the look off in my opinion.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

You're not my real dad!

I'm divided on how they look in the clear tops because if they're not perfectly placed, it looks sloppy and throws the look off in my opinion.

vintage non cherry switches are great.

About stickers, they make having the brittle clear switch tops worthwhile. It's pretty to look at when you change your keycaps.

Offline dante

Doesn't feel any different.

However, it might help with resale value!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

this is a very good point. I can admit to including certain aspects of a custom kb simply to increase possible resale value.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Not after people read this thread :P

Offline Jixr

On pcb mounted switches, you can visibly see that the top housing wobbles less.

But still, can't really feel a difference.

One thing I hate about mechs is how much the stem wobbles, wish there was a mod for that.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

On pcb mounted switches, you can visibly see that the top housing wobbles less.

But still, can't really feel a difference.

One thing I hate about mechs is how much the stem wobbles, wish there was a mod for that.

Then buy space invaders, there is no stem wobble, because nearly the entire switch is also stem/slider.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I've maintained for a long time that stickers are for aesthetics only. I don't feel the reduction in wobble in MX switches that others claim. However, I think that it might be interesting to experiment with stickers on Alps switches since they have a much more noticeable wobble versus MX.

Do you think stickers make a difference in how the keyswitch feels?

Why or why not?

For me, it's aesthetics only.  I feel no difference at all.

And on the Alps front, I don't think it would make a difference at all.  First off, given the Alps design, where would the sticker go?  At the bottom of the inside of the switch?  Adhered to the top inside of the switch?  I don't see any way one would work or affect the feel.  Secondly, due to the nature of the slider design in the Alps switch, the switch has considerable wobble since there is a ton of room for it to move around and wobble inside the housing.

I'd disagree.  If anything, it could hurt if the person doesn't like the color used.  Mods, to me at least, add no value to a keyboard since most mods I see are not my preferred mod and, as such, would just result in me modding it anyways.  Mods are always for personal preference.

Offline intelli78

I recently re-springed, lubed, and stickered a bunch of clears for my upcoming KMAC II build. My extremely unscientific experience was that the stickers *very slightly* reduced the play in some of the switch housings. But I am not convinced it will translate to anything noticeable for real world use.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
I tried out the stickers and I guess they're purely for aesthetic reasons but hey they look really pretty but a real PITA to apply. :(
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
And on the Alps front, I don't think it would make a difference at all.  First off, given the Alps design, where would the sticker go?  At the bottom of the inside of the switch?  Adhered to the top inside of the switch?  I don't see any way one would work or affect the feel.  Secondly, due to the nature of the slider design in the Alps switch, the switch has considerable wobble since there is a ton of room for it to move around and wobble inside the housing.

You make a good point, I'm still thinking there must be a way to reduce the wobble. Just for keyboard science sake.

I'd disagree.  If anything, it could hurt if the person doesn't like the color used.  Mods, to me at least, add no value to a keyboard since most mods I see are not my preferred mod and, as such, would just result in me modding it anyways.  Mods are always for personal preference.

I agree with nubbinator's resale value statement. I would definitely not pay extra because someone stickered their switches. And I've happily destickered used switches to use them.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
I've never fully inspected an Alps switch, but a thin plastic rectangle with an opening in the center and a lipped edge. You slide it over the stem inside of the housing and the lip sits on the top of the housing, which reduces the amount of space to wobble. Maybe made of POM or something.

Offline n0rvig

Sub-KTOD do you think plates make a difference in how the key switch feels?

I gather from this thread so far that a little wobble is barely noticeable. I haven't tried a keyboard without a plate, so I am wondering if the feeling is similar.

Oddly I like the feeling knowing that my switches are really stable. Minimal wobble makes me feel like the board is assembled well. Even if the feeling while typing isn't significantly changed.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Absolutely. Plate mount vs PCB mount MX feel very different. I prefer plate mount.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

I originally thought the question was about to ask about materials of plate and/or plate thickness.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot

Plate vs PCB difference is very noticeable, plate mount feels much more solid and stable. The difference is more pronounced for tactile keys compared to linear keys, it makes the tacticality stand out more. My preference, hands down, would always be plate mount but if I were going to use a PCB mount board I would probably want black or red switches inside of it. PCB mount browns feel awful IMO, but plate mount browns are totally usable. PCB mount clears are numb enough they almost feel like plate mount browns. PCB blacks feel almost identical with or without a plate.

I've only typed on boards with steel plates, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was even a difference in feel between steel and aluminum plates. The aluminum plate I got as a prototype during my group buy feels so much more flimsy than the stainless one I have to imagine it would feel slightly different to type on.

Regrading switch stickers, I was on the fence about stickering some of my boards but after reading this thread I don't think I'll put in the time or effort since it sounds like it doesn't make any appreciable difference.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
Plates: yes but not always for the better
Stickers: not really
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline RickyJ

They helped my pcb-mount boards, made them feel less loose/flimsy. My cheap Adesso keypad (ergo clears) was horrendous before, now it's just 'meh' but useable.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I do not get the aesthetics claims, if the stickers are under the caps and switches covers, aren't they? then, how they may improve the look of the keyboard?

Offline Mr. D

I've seen a lot of mention of switch stickers since joining this forum and was wondering just how they accomplished what was said of them.  Considering the majority of the responses to this thread I think I'm going to pass on stickering these clears when I swap the springs.
QFR | Model M | AT101W

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
They helped my pcb-mount boards, made them feel less loose/flimsy. My cheap Adesso keypad (ergo clears) was horrendous before, now it's just 'meh' but useable.

Glad I'm not the only one who can tell a difference.

In my experience they DO help by pulling the slider rails in a touch and preventing them from moving. Without stickers, the switch top can tilt and allow the rails to move.

They made a noticable difference on my PCB mounted KBT Pure. I am also getting a plate for it, to make it feel even better :)

I find most technical systems respond in similar ways to "tweaks". They all add up. For instance, if you take a PCB mount board with thin ABS caps and stock switches and sticker them, add a plate, nice thick keycaps, mod to help the bottom out feel (trampoline or whatever floats your boat at the time), the board goes from feeling just okay to feeling great, really "tight" (admittedly, the keycaps and plate will make the biggest difference, but they all help). It's the same with overclocking a computer. Changing memory timings, for instance, doesn't make much real world difference on its own, but when combined with voltage and frequency increases, bus frequency and timing tweaks, etc. the overall performance increase can be marked.

Every little bit helps. Eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns, however, where the tweaks start to have less and less effect, to the point that the effort needed to do them isn't matched by the amount of improvement. Where that point lies is different for everyone, but for me stickers are still on the "worth the effort" side of the point. Usually because I am also modding the switches some other way and can add the stickers as part of the process.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
I've seen a lot of mention of switch stickers since joining this forum and was wondering just how they accomplished what was said of them.  Considering the majority of the responses to this thread I think I'm going to pass on stickering these clears when I swap the springs.

I kind of feel like stickering is just a thing to do when modding switches that makes them feel more "custom". Since they're cheap anyways, I don't really see a problem in that though.
;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
I couldn't tell a difference but I do love the look of them on Korean Customs!

Offline False_Dmitry_II

I think it's closer to say that the consensus is that it doesn't do alot, but it's worth doing it if your switches are already apart; however not worth it if that's the only reason you would take them apart.

Offline Crabby_b

I kind of feel like stickering is just a thing to do when modding switches that makes them feel more "custom". Since they're cheap anyways, I don't really see a problem in that though.

I agree. I can't really tell the difference with or without stickers, but I imagine they can have a stabilizing effect on the switch if the top half happens to loosen after removing it for lubing or swapping springs. They do look nice though.

Offline Mr. D

I think it's closer to say that the consensus is that it doesn't do alot, but it's worth doing it if your switches are already apart; however not worth it if that's the only reason you would take them apart.
Fair point.  I may still get some just to try them out since they aren't exactly a massive expenditure.  Can't hurt to form an opinion for myself.
QFR | Model M | AT101W

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder

I agree. I can't really tell the difference with or without stickers, but I imagine they can have a stabilizing effect on the switch if the top half happens to loosen after removing it for lubing or swapping springs. They do look nice though.

The tops are loose already when new and untouched. I agree that it's probably not worth doing on a plate mounted board with nice thick keycaps. The difference will not be worth desoldering the switches just to add stickers. However, if you're already modding the switches somehow, I recommend adding stickers. The difference may not be big, but it does exist.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
I have nothing to contribute to this thread, as I prefer buckling springs.  Just wanted to comment that when I recently became a member of this forum, learning what switch stickers are, and what they are used for - probably took me the longest to figure out in terms of mechanical keyboard lingo.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
I have nothing to contribute to this thread, as I prefer buckling springs.  Just wanted to comment that when I recently became a member of this forum, learning what switch stickers are, and what they are used for - probably took me the longest to figure out in terms of mechanical keyboard lingo.

I suppose that's another reason to sticker your switches: It lets you feel more elitist when new users try to figure out what you're talking about. Also, it gives you another spec to list when describing your mech :D
;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

I suppose that's another reason to sticker your switches: It lets you feel more elitist when new users try to figure out what you're talking about. Also, it gives you another spec to list when describing your mech :D

I like this.  :thumb:

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
I think people just add stickers to put another stat on their keyboard.

Offline noobicus

This.

I've done multiple searches (most pointing back to geekhack) about stickers and can't find anything about them other than posts referencing "aesthetics and feel" with no pictures of actual aesthetics that make a difference (most are pictures with keys off, which means that people would only see them with clear keys or when doing maitenance) haha.