Hello everyone, I discovered this forum while browsing Anandtech and thought I'd ask for a new keyboard recommendation here.
For as long as I have owned a computer (1997 or so), I have always used the basic, plain keyboards that come packaged with pre-built systems such as Dell, Gateway, etc. Right now I am using a basic 4-year old Dell PS/2 keyboard that came with my system. I use my PC for gaming, and the one aspect of this keyboard that bugs me the most is that some of the keys get stuck unless you hit them dead-center. Do all keyboards behave this way, or just the cheap ones? I believe the technical term for the type of keyboard I have is "bubble-dome"? I took it apart for cleaning once and saw a rubber mat with domes in it. Also, it seems to take an unnecessarily high amount of pressure to press the keys. I feel like there should be something with "faster" keys out there.
I also used a Dell "clackey key" keyboard at a job once, although the noise was kind of irritating, plus I'm not sure if these would be a good choice for gaming.
Here is a summary of what I am looking for in a keyboard:
1. ability to hit keys slightly off-center without them sticking
2. quick key response for gaming
3. some tactile feedback without being overly noisy
4. n-key rollover (I'm not sure what number to substitute for 'n'; I mainly play FPS games if it helps any)
5. a "standard" layout - no "ergonomic" alterations or drastically re-arranged key layouts
6. I am indifferent toward backlighting - if the keyboard has it, then great; if not, it's not a big deal to me; I don't need to look at the keyboard to type, and I live alone, so I can't think of any situation in which I would have to type in the dark anyway
7. I'd rather not have one of the loud clackey keyboards, as I think that would get annoying after awhile. Plus, wouldn't these have a relatively slow response, and not be ideal for gaming?
8. I don't think I would use lots of macro/multimedia keys, but they would always be nice to have if possible
Initially I was considering the following 2 choices:
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Microsoft Sidewinder X6
However, after reading around these forums for awhile, I found a few that I had never even heard of before that might meet my requirements:
Would any of these be good choices for me? Are there any other good keyboards for me that I didn't list?