Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 117024 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 01:58:28 »
Yeah, I also want to try a KUL!

Only positive responses until now, but I want to wait for a MX Blue version.

Does anybody know whether other MX switches are planned for the future?

I hope they do.  I'm also waiting on a MX Blue version to come out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline itsComplicated

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 16:46:32 »
Here is my video review of the KUL ES-87 with Clear switches.

I really liked the board but struggled with double tapping the spacebar while gaming with the Clear switches.  They're good for building finger strength for guitar players though.
I've got a dead Leopold with Red switches.  How hard would it be to put those in the ES-87?
(link fixed)

« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:13:32 by itsComplicated »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 17:36:37 »
your video doesn't work

and probably not too hard to swap the switches.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline itsComplicated

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:01:14 »
your video doesn't work

Oh no!  Here are links for the youtube vid or if you prefer dailymotion I've got you covered.

http://youtu.be/6z8lAAxGc-Q

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2215wu_kul-es-87_videogames

And let's test that youtube embeded url one more time.  Let's try the short link.

Offline dante

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:30:33 »
itsComplicated: You did a great job in the video.  Probably one of the nicest keyboard review videos I've seen.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:35:08 »
your video doesn't work

Oh no!  Here are links for the youtube vid or if you prefer dailymotion I've got you covered.

And let's test that youtube embeded url one more time.  Let's try the short link.

Yeah! Terrific review, I'm glad to hear Brian took care of you.

I laughed when the the one guy said "My keyboard was $9.99" in response to your question. I guess that polling rate is a little bit of marketing, I don't think I would notice a difference either.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:38:18 »
that's a GREAT review. I enjoyed it a lot.

and we use the same chair

also DIP switches only work of you unplug the keyboard, change the switch then plug it back in
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:48:19 by TacticalStache »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:31:30 »
EK now offers KULs with MX red as well.

Still no blues though :(

Offline intelli78

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:33:12 »
EK now offers KULs with MX red as well.

Still no blues though :(

and black!
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:46:58 »
your video doesn't work

Welcome to Geekhack ! Very nice video & review.

Switching from MX Black to MX Clear was tough for me too and I can feel your pain when you say you had trouble with "double pressing spacebar" quickly enough.

I was playing Titanfall - another FPS where double jump is required - when I bought my CODE keyboard and during the first 2 days, I was thinking "I can't play with this... my old keyboard w/ MX Black is way better".

... a week later, after lubing stabs and some practising, I had already much less trouble.

Now, few months later, I could not be happier !

I am really enjoying MX Clear switches (w/ some soft O-rings) for any gaming (FPS / MOBA / RTS etc).

I guess that the learning curve with MX Clear requires more time than any other switches ?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 03:37:10 by Lpwl »

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:53:58 »
I did the same with my KUL ES87 w/MX Clears.  I found it was hard and tiring for rapid key presses.  So I added some o-rings (40-A-L) and it has helped.

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:36:30 »
Anyone tried to fit this board into an aluminum case (vortex or similar)?

I'm PRETTY SURE (as in I tried and it didn't work but I might be dumb) it's not compatible with Filco cases, so it won't work with those

which is really unfortunate

Does anyone know of any custom cases that might be compatible with this?

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 17:39:05 »
If it doesn't work with Filco there's probably nothing

Although KUL may be making some options themselves

Offline itsComplicated

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 18:08:11 »

also DIP switches only work of you unplug the keyboard, change the switch then plug it back in

I'm glad you guys and gals enjoyed the review.  I'll keep that in mind about the dip switches working only if the board is unplugged then plugged back in.  It really is a nice kb.  If elitekeyboards.com gets one with a red or white case in I'm probably going to buy one.  I'll sell my CM Stealth to help pay for it.  I'm not sure if the black switches would also be too much resistance for my trembling little feeble hands.  I'm happy with the browns.  Good typing/gaming compromise.
I'll get some o-rings and try that on the KUL.  Good tip thanks.

My ergonomics professor was the head of the Aeron Chair project at HM.  I was quite excited when an opportunity arose to acquire one at a reasonable price (free).  I'd like to upgrade the lumbar cushion to the Posture Fit.  Gorilla glue and electrical tape does a great disservice to it's aesthetics.  :thumb:

Offline TheMark

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 18:38:39 »

I'm glad you guys and gals enjoyed the review.  I'll keep that in mind about the dip switches working only if the board is unplugged then plugged back in.  It really is a nice kb.  If elitekeyboards.com gets one with a red or white case in I'm probably going to buy one.  I'll sell my CM Stealth to help pay for it.  I'm not sure if the black switches would also be too much resistance for my trembling little feeble hands.  I'm happy with the browns.  Good typing/gaming compromise.

My ergonomics professor was the head of the Aeron Chair project at HM.  I was quite excited when an opportunity arose to acquire one at a reasonable price (free).  I'd like to upgrade the lumbar cushion to the Posture Fit.  Gorilla glue and electrical tape does a great disservice to it's aesthetics.  :thumb:

Great review!

My Aeron is 12yrs old now... It's in serious need of a tuneup, stuff has loosened up with use.

Offline TheMark

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 18:44:17 »

I love mine with Clears, just through on my new SP Granite PBT keycaps!! Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/v5DB9

Ask me questions!

I moved over from MX Browns and I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a Computer Science student working as a software dev this summer, but I also game a bit (mostly during the school year. I wasn't sure about going with Black vs another Brown keyboard, so I'm glad I found this keyboard!! Barebones, simple - yet many features (8 DIP switches). LED's under the keys (the glow is so sexy). An actual Menu key (with the DIP switch). No insignia (unless you want it, whoever thought of that deserves a raise).

I may get another one of these in MX-Blue Full Size if they release it. Most likely I'll grab another one it Red's when I get my Dolch Replica key set. You can consider me a KUL fan. I'm glad I got this over a Filco. This thing is a tank.

I'm new, so please forgive the question. I love the look of the granite keycaps, I went to the SP website but cannot locate. Can you please point out where I can find this set? Thanks in advance.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 18:51:42 »

Great review!

My Aeron is 12yrs old now... It's in serious need of a tuneup, stuff has loosened up with use.

My dad got his (then my mom's, now mine) when he started working for Comcast in 1998. It's old but it's held up.

Offline caesar

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 04:29:01 »
Here is my video review of the KUL ES-87 with Clear switches.

I really liked the board but struggled with double tapping the spacebar while gaming with the Clear switches.  They're good for building finger strength for guitar players though.
I've got a dead Leopold with Red switches.  How hard would it be to put those in the ES-87?
(link fixed)

Awesome! Thank you, man.

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #218 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:06:22 »
I messaged KUL on Facebook and asked when the new case tops might be available. Hoping to hear a reply. ;D

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 08:25:49 »
your video doesn't work

I believe we have access to the clips that hold the top half of the Cherry MX assembly so we can quickly swap out stems and springs without resoldering.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 15:20:42 »
your video doesn't work

I believe we have access to the clips that hold the top half of the Cherry MX assembly so we can quickly swap out stems and springs without resoldering.

On the stock KUL plate? I don't think so, would be awesome if so.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 16:31:33 »
I've been planning on getting this keyboard with red switches but I just realised that shipping to Sweden is $38  :-\
Is there a cheaper way for me to get this keyboard to Sweden?
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline caesar

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:34:51 »
I've been planning on getting this keyboard with red switches but I just realised that shipping to Sweden is $38  :-\
Is there a cheaper way for me to get this keyboard to Sweden?

Ask seller, can he send  it to u with normal priority/economy shipping  (20-30$ i think)

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 00:10:09 »
I need to find a nice keycap set for this board. I've never bought a set of keycaps before ;D

Anyone have pics to share of their KUL with custom keycaps?

E: Typo's

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 00:53:24 »
I need to find a nice keycap set for this board. I've never bought a set of keycaps before ;D

I have a dolch set coming for mine from the recent GB. Can't wait. I think there was a pic early in the thread with a similar setup.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 12:13:36 »

Soon.

your video doesn't work

This is false.

Offline cruzin

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 12:20:41 »

There's a pic with Originative keycaps here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/27sz5o/my_kul_es87_arrived_mx_clear/
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:22:40 »
I just wanted to say thanks to OP for the review. This was actually the tipping point that led to me buying an ES-87. The price and the newness of the company made me nervous, but this review was deep enough that I felt like this keyboard would offer a very enjoyable experience.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline jam3s121

« Reply #228 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:25:21 »
if i bought one of these are they compatible with the majority of nice dyesub and pbt/abs cap sets for ducky/filco?

would it be a upgrade to the quickfire rapid i own? (this keyboard was nice but is falling apart on me from someone elses neglect)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:42:10 »
if i bought one of these are they compatible with the majority of nice dyesub and pbt/abs cap sets for ducky/filco?

would it be a upgrade to the quickfire rapid i own? (this keyboard was nice but is falling apart on me from someone elses neglect)

Yes, the general opinion in this forum is that the KUL is one of the best if not the best stock keyboard you can buy right now  :thumb:

Offline jam3s121

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:02:23 »

Yes, the general opinion in this forum is that the KUL is one of the best if not the best stock keyboard you can buy right now  :thumb:

so if i bought this for the KUL it would all fit?

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=59

sorry I'm used to my cheapo steelseries and cm storm not compatible with all keycaps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:06:17 »
yep

KUL is filco layout so any normal 1.25x set will fit

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:06:54 »
Yes, this set would fit perfectly fine :)

Offline jam3s121

« Reply #233 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:13:32 »
thanks, ordering now :D

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:17:55 »

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:45:00 »
Hey guys.

Another happy new KUL owner here.

Here's a link to the KUL vs Filco Photo Showdown and general thoughts I posted about these two boards. Might be useful for some folks here.

I messaged KUL on Facebook and asked when the new case tops might be available. Hoping to hear a reply. ;D

The KUL stockist in Hong Kong I bought mine from said the cases would be available from earl September, for what it's worth.
              Waiting on / GMK LED Keycaps

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:02:09 »
What did you pay for it in Hong Kong?

Do they have versions with MX Blue over there?
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:06:16 by LechnerDE »

Offline Roark17

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:02:43 »
Hey guys.

Another happy new KUL owner here.

Here's a link to the KUL vs Filco Photo Showdown and general thoughts I posted about these two boards. Might be useful for some folks here.

Thanks for taking the time to post this album.  KUL and Filco are so similar.  Each have their own pros and cons, and I feel like neither objectively wins over the other.  Would you be able to comment on how well the ES-87 stays put on a desk without the feet compared to the Filco?
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (ETA 8/15)

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #238 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:14:15 »

Thanks for taking the time to post this album.  KUL and Filco are so similar.  Each have their own pros and cons, and I feel like neither objectively wins over the other.  Would you be able to comment on how well the ES-87 stays put on a desk without the feet compared to the Filco?

As I mentioned in the further comments, the Filco stays more firmly in place on my desk without the feet. I think this is because the Filco's rubber grips are positioned on the top edge of the base rather then the side, as on the KUL.

What did you pay for it in Hong Kong?

Do they have versions with MX Blue over there?

Retail price was $130(USD). I got free shipping as I was the first person in Thailand to order one and they waived the cost in exchange for me giving them some info on the Thai mechanical keyboard market. The Hong Kong reseller was very helpful and even undervalued the keyboard so I only paid around $12 in import fees. So all in all I paid $142. Not bad  :D!

No blue switches yet, sadly.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:26:56 »
Hoff, we know that the MX blue version comes out in Sept, probably with with topcases.

Offline Roark17

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 13:59:32 »
As I mentioned in the further comments, the Filco stays more firmly in place on my desk without the feet. I think this is because the Filco's rubber grips are positioned on the top edge of the base rather then the side, as on the KUL.

Oh I see now.  I misunderstood the comment that said "folded up."  Sorry about that.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (ETA 8/15)

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 14:28:43 »

Oh I see now.  I misunderstood the comment that said "folded up."  Sorry about that.
No worries. I often get confused about what feet up/down actually means too

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 18:38:08 »

And the Cherry stabs don't prevent anyone from buying?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #243 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 21:39:07 »

And the Cherry stabs don't prevent anyone from buying?

They were one of the main reasons I bought mine.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 02:23:49 »
The cherry stabs in the KUL don't suck as much as other boards

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 03:13:10 »
Are they clipped or modded in any way?

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 03:19:27 »
The cherry stabs in the KUL don't suck as much as other boards
Agree totally. I've tried blues, browns and reds o  other boards with Cherry stabs and they all felt noticeably inferior to wire stabs. Not nearly so much with my KUL.

I wonder if it's just a case of clear switches being more forgiving in this regard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 03:22:18 by Hucifer »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:29:33 »

I wonder if it's just a case of clear switches being more forgiving in this regard.

doubt it

doubt it, but i'll check at some point

Offline TBone

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 15:29:07 »

Nope they aren't at all. I clipped and modded my KUL with clears and now I love it even more. Has that really satisfying thud on the stabilized keys. Would definitely recommend it.

Offline jam3s121

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:16:36 »
just got mine with blacks, it feels nice but its going to take some time to get used too over having blues. I had blacks previously though so hopefully not too long.