Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 382826 times)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:55:27 »
So Vibex: have you written a review of that sorbothane gasket yet? Also, pictures!
Sorry that it took me so long, I kept putting it off. Here are a few potato pics that I took with my phone.
72548-0
72550-1
As for a review, I'll just type a brief overview of the difference in feel. There is far less vibration in the case when I type. It feels more solid and is slightly quieter (though I'm using browns already, so they aren't that loud anyway). I think I prefer the gasket over the individual spacers. I also prefer the aesthetic of the gasket more as well. It takes a ton of time to get it placed properly in the case though. If anyone has any specific questions please ask.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #451 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 09:55:21 »
Has the spreadsheet tracking acknowledged color preferences been updated?  I'm wanting to make sure I've taken all the correct steps :)
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #452 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:17:17 »
So Vibex: have you written a review of that sorbothane gasket yet? Also, pictures!
Sorry that it took me so long, I kept putting it off. Here are a few potato pics that I took with my phone.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
As for a review, I'll just type a brief overview of the difference in feel. There is far less vibration in the case when I type. It feels more solid and is slightly quieter (though I'm using browns already, so they aren't that loud anyway). I think I prefer the gasket over the individual spacers. I also prefer the aesthetic of the gasket more as well. It takes a ton of time to get it placed properly in the case though. If anyone has any specific questions please ask.

Thanks for the pic. It seems the gasket isn't perfectly aligned with the plate edges. Is it due to some pressure on the gasket? Appearance looks less appealing but functionality sounds better.

I can't conclude what I prefer. :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #453 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:18:15 »
Oh wow. That looks awesome. I'm glad I managed to get a hold of a Granite set!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #454 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:28:07 »
Thanks for the pic. It seems the gasket isn't perfectly aligned with the plate edges. Is it due to some pressure on the gasket? Appearance looks less appealing but functionality sounds better.

The gasket that is coming with all of the GB boards won't be sticky, so it will be easier to place correctly. The one I have keeps getting stuck to my wrist wrest and shifting it. That is why it is so misaligned. It shouldn't be as bad for everyone else.

There are some much better shots of it in the Keycon Media threads. They got to use real cameras for there photos while I'm stuck with a phone.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #455 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:50:06 »

The gasket that is coming with all of the GB boards won't be sticky, so it will be easier to place correctly. The one I have keeps getting stuck to my wrist wrest and shifting it. That is why it is so misaligned. It shouldn't be as bad for everyone else.

There are some much better shots of it in the Keycon Media threads. They got to use real cameras for there photos while I'm stuck with a phone.

If that's the case, I'm going with gasket. But let's see how others think.

Thanks for describing the gasket.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #456 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:25:28 »
if you really don't want a gasket, i can accommodate that, no problem, since i haven't ordered the gasket run yet.

i'll get a google form up for gasket vs spacer choices (it seems like most people who don't want gaskets are following the thread) up when i get a moment to breathe (i'm currently couch surfing among other things, oy vey!)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #457 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:52:56 »
Well either way, I definitely cant go for it before my next paycheck, already splurged a lot this month lol.

So if this is still available by August 10th, I'll probably hop on it.

I still dont understand how a 40% sized keyboard can still be useful though.

I use mine for portability. But the tiny footprint on my desk is actually really nice.
I have the bottom two corners set as function layer keys and have every key available to me. :)

Thinking of using it for the same thing (if I get one). Carry it around with my Surface Pro 2. Did the same thing with my KBT Pure before that became my work keyboard lol.

How do you keep track of all the different special keys? Keep a jpg on your desktop? lol
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #458 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:22:26 »
The PTFE coating is going to get rid of the stickiness problems that vibex is having, and it should be easier to adjust as well. One negative thing about the PTFE coating though is that it won't take paint...

The gasket is definitely a bit squishy, but that's actually a functional thing. If it weren't squishy, you wouldn't get the deadening effect out of it

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #459 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:23:49 »

is it possible to order a gasket for my jd40? i have Ti plates coming, might as well do a full upgrade right?  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #460 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:43:12 »
The PTFE coating is going to get rid of the stickiness problems that vibex is having, and it should be easier to adjust as well. One negative thing about the PTFE coating though is that it won't take paint...

The gasket is definitely a bit squishy, but that's actually a functional thing. If it weren't squishy, you wouldn't get the deadening effect out of it

Is the gasket basically the same as my minimal case? Or is there no metal back plate at all with you gasket version?

I need to take pictures of my JD40 to show what I have done. Maybe I can do that tonight.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #461 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:51:25 »
Is the gasket basically the same as my minimal case? Or is there no metal back plate at all with you gasket version?

I need to take pictures of my JD40 to show what I have done. Maybe I can do that tonight.
The gasket replaces the spacers between the top and bottom plates found on some minimal keyboards, so that they’re connected by something squishy rather than rigid. The design isn’t quite like your minimal case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:53:39 by jacobolus »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #462 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 21:23:24 »
if you really don't want a gasket, i can accommodate that, no problem, since i haven't ordered the gasket run yet.

i'll get a google form up for gasket vs spacer choices (it seems like most people who don't want gaskets are following the thread) up when i get a moment to breathe (i'm currently couch surfing among other things, oy vey!)

Just mark me down for both gasket and spacers please.  If I need to pay a couple extra dollars just let me know.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 22:54:11 »

The gasket replaces the spacers between the top and bottom plates found on some minimal keyboards, so that they’re connected by something squishy rather than rigid. The design isn’t quite like your minimal case.

Ya that is basically the same thing I did with my JD40.  I built a silicone insert which goes between the switch plate and the back plate which replaces the spacers.  My silicone insert not only works as the spacer, but also sits flush against the bottom of the PCB (well the solder joints anyway), so same as my minimal case.  I will take pictures at some point and post it here...

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #464 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:21:34 »
I guess those who use the spacer and want to have less vibration could get their own dampening washer or just use o-rings around. I dont have anything to try this on but I guess this could be feasible?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #465 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:31:38 »
I took some pictures of my initial prototype of my silicon minimalist case for my 40%.  The silicon I am using has an adhesive on one side, so this is four layers of silicon all glued together.  Basically, the PCB and solder joints sit on the bottom plane with the teensy suspended in the cutout.  The top two layers are cut to be the same size as the PCB, so you have to put the case on one corner at a time and it fits snuggly around the PCB. 

My initial plan was to attach the original bottom plate to the top plate through the silicon, but when I started playing with it just like this I kind of liked it.  The PCB is stuck in the top two layers, so its not going anywhere.  Also, the bottom surface is an entire plane of silicone, so it sticks to the desk super well.  Because this keyboard is so light to start with, it does tend to move around if you don't have good bumpers, so I actually like it like this.

Anyway, enough talk, more show...

72736-0

72738-1

72740-2

PS - Cutting silicone is a PITA, so if I did this again, I would build up all the layers with the cutouts before I cut around the outside.  Then I would cut all 4 layers around the outside at one time.  This would make the outside edges look nice and clean.  Trying to 'touch it up' after the initial cut will just make it look horrible (as you can see).  The first cuts are all nice and clean, I just laminated them together after cutting them and it was tricky to do without a jig or anything.  Lessons learned...
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:36:34 by swill »

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #466 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 23:38:24 »
Okay so I believe I am officially in this buy now lol. A gentleman in need gave me an extra reason to throw my money in this haha.

Now I just need to do research on the rest of the parts needed...

I'm still not clear on what other parts we're working on to get a GB for? >.>

EDIT:
So after browsing through the thread:
We still need to purchase Teensy controllers, but you're working on a way for us to get a slightly cheaper rate.
We need 40 switches, sourced by ourselves.
We need 2 plate mounted cherry stabs.

As for LEDs....
Yes, the holes for LEDs are there, but with no traces to anything. So you can definitely hand wire LEDs however you want them. You'll just have to pull +5V from the USB somewhere. If I had been a little more forward thinking, I would have had regack put a couple of holes from the power and ground connections to run the LEDs.

And you are correct in that the caps lock indicator are the adjacent holes to the LED holes in that one switch position.

So how would we hook up LEDs on this board? Bare wires running all over the back? ):
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 06:53:09 by PandaSPUR »
Home:
Work:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #467 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:05:42 »
Okay so I believe I am officially in this buy now lol. A gentleman in need gave me an extra reason to throw my money in this haha.

Now I just need to do research on the rest of the parts needed...

I'm still not clear on what other parts we're working on to get a GB for? >.>

EDIT:
So after browsing through the thread:
We still need to purchase Teensy controllers, but you're working on a way for us to get a slightly cheaper rate.
We need 40 switches, sourced by ourselves.
We need 2 plate mounted cherry stabs.

You also need 40 through hole diodes, 1N4148, like this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Rectron/1N4148-T/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujBpQKGz8pgpLoTumKo1yCTzfmbMAwUdzOTQ2PCHwWJdA%3d%3d
A through-hole USB Mini-B USB receptacle, like this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/54819-0519/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtDa8bhoiaN7CKgHzoapfPd
And a male USB Mini-B end, SMD (cable end), like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUYV2JQ/

As for LEDs....
Yes, the holes for LEDs are there, but with no traces to anything. So you can definitely hand wire LEDs however you want them. You'll just have to pull +5V from the USB somewhere. If I had been a little more forward thinking, I would have had regack put a couple of holes from the power and ground connections to run the LEDs.

And you are correct in that the caps lock indicator are the adjacent holes to the LED holes in that one switch position.

So how would we hook up LEDs on this board? Bare wires running all over the back? ):

Yes, wires running all over the back. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:18:07 »
Can the LEDs be hooked up in series? or do they all have to be parallel...?

Series might not be so bad, could just bend the leads and solder them together. But wiring it all in parallel will be uuuggllly (especially since I'm preferring the bare spacer look right now).

And I might also look for someone to do this for me... Seems to be a bit out of my league. Unless I want to plop $80 for the iron and get the extra PCB. Hm.

Any guides out there? I couldnt (easily) find one on these forums.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:37:19 by PandaSPUR »
Home:
Work:

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #469 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:41:52 »
Just a quick question, will the top plate come cut out to be able to put in the switches?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:49:35 »
i will be starting another buy on notched top plates shortly

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #471 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:58:07 »

Are we able to substitute the plate in our smallfry order for the notched ones or do we have to buy the notched plate separately?
Home:
Work:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:00:55 »
I have not been following this thread very closely.  Will you guys be buying more teensys to support this buy?  If yes, can I just buy a teensy (or two) with you guys?

Offline Yslen

« Reply #473 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:02:56 »

Are we able to substitute the plate in our smallfry order for the notched ones or do we have to buy the notched plate separately?

Those who bought notched plates in the previous round were allowed to swap out the non-notched one, so I imagine it'll be the same this time.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:05:43 »
Just a quick question, will the top plate come cut out to be able to put in the switches?
it will be sold as a substitution/upgrade

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #475 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:18:32 »
Awesomeee.

You have PM btw mkawa.

Getting excited..
Thinking of the best way to light this little keyboard now.
Might keep it simple with USB powered EL wire. Not sure if I want to deal with wiring 40 LEDs
Home:
Work:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:23:34 »
...and here we go!

http://www.geekhackers.org/products/jd40-40-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

the pricing is set as an upgrade for existing smallfry keyboard kit orders. i'll see what the demand is for upgrades and then open it up again for individual plate orders independent of smallfry kits if there is material left.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:57:41 »
...and here we go!

http://www.geekhackers.org/products/jd40-40-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

the pricing is set as an upgrade for existing smallfry keyboard kit orders. i'll see what the demand is for upgrades and then open it up again for individual plate orders independent of smallfry kits if there is material left.

What's different between this upgraded cutout plate, and the one sold before? Price was a lot higher for the first round.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:04:18 »
...and here we go!

This is the top plate with the holes, not just traces of where to cut, right? Therefore, if I don't buy the 'upgrade' I will have to get the top plate cut myself in order to build the keyboard, correct?

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #479 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:09:42 »
...and here we go!

This is the top plate with the holes, not just traces of where to cut, right? Therefore, if I don't buy the 'upgrade' I will have to get the top plate cut myself in order to build the keyboard, correct?

No no. The difference with this plate is that it has extra notches to allow you to remove the cap of your switches to swap the insides.
Essentially, it lets you swap switch types without desoldering and resoldering entire switches.
Home:
Work:

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:11:38 »
So, the base kit's top plate should arrive pre-machined, correct?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #481 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:14:24 »
So, the base kit's top plate should arrive pre-machined, correct?

Yes. You will receive two plates in total, a top (switch) plate with holes cut for switch mounting and mounting screws, and a bottom plate with only the holes for the mounting screws.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #482 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:21:37 »
ordered. but during checkout, I had to pay shipping again. :( will this be refunded somewhen?

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #483 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:03:09 »
Here's another question.. How much would it cost to get a spare PCB if I dont want to buy one of the soldering kits on the site?
I've been eyeing a Hakko cordless soldering iron (which supposedly works very well for a whole 2 hours).
Home:
Work:

Offline Yslen

« Reply #484 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:04:02 »
Here's another question.. How much would it cost to get a spare PCB if I dont want to buy one of the soldering kits on the site?
I've been eyeing a Hakko cordless soldering iron (which supposedly works very well for a whole 2 hours).

I'm also interested in a spare but would rather avoid the import cost of buying a soldering kit from the US.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:48:12 »
ordered. but during checkout, I had to pay shipping again. :( will this be refunded somewhen?
already refunded and bug fixed. it won't charge anyone shipping again for this upgrade

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:49:46 »

I'm also interested in a spare but would rather avoid the import cost of buying a soldering kit from the US.

i have yet to encounter issues with customs exporting soldering equipment to the UK. the bigger issue is that the basic cl1481 kit is 110v only. works fine with a good step-down transformer, but i can't provide one :(

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:50:37 »
eeks! butane-powered soldering irons are _not_ appropriate for beginners or precise electronics work. they're for field technicians and plumbers.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:51:45 »

i have yet to encounter issues with customs exporting soldering equipment to the UK. the bigger issue is that the basic cl1481 kit is 110v only. works fine with a good step-down transformer, but i can't provide one :(

The issue is the cost, rather than anything else. I can buy soldering equipment in town, much cheaper than shipping and import costs.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:53:47 »
yah, you're almost certainly better off buying locally

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:54:42 »
i guess i can make extra PCBs available if people really want them. again, it would be an upgrade item for the smallfry kit.. that sounds pretty reasonable. let me chat with JD about it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:20:08 »
Not really sure why people want extra plates, anyway. The PCB only works with a plate. If you're afraid of messing it up, you could always practice on something else first. :)

in memoriam

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:20:03 »
however, the masses have spoken. have at it!

http://www.geekhackers.org/products/smallfry-kit-extra-pcb-upgrade

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:21:48 »
note there are only 10 kits left. best not to dilly dally if you want one..

Offline Yslen

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:30:48 »
It's trying to charge me shipping, is there a way to avoid that so you don't have to go through the hassle of refunding it?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:49:43 »
yah, hold on. let me check the shipping settings again.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #496 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:51:01 »
yah, hold on. let me check the shipping settings again.

No rush i am off to bed, work in the morning!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:58:35 »
yslen, can you try checking out again and let me know if it still wants to charge you?

eta: hah! anyway, it should be fixed. let me know if it wants to charge you and i'll jimmy with it a bit more.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #498 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:00:53 »
It's not charging shipping now, so I've ordered. Thanks! Now, I need sleep :P

Offline docwlad

« Reply #499 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:06:00 »
Awesome, the notched top plates are back! Just ordered mine :cool: One question: will the notched plates be anodized as well?