Author Topic: [IC] Northern California (geek)hackerspace?  (Read 5954 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
[IC] Northern California (geek)hackerspace?
« on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 07:20:15 »
As many of you know, I have a large number of tools, including a small CNC-ready mill, full electronics workbench, shop air, 3d printer, power and hand tools. i also have a limited set of labware.

As somewhat fewer of you know, I will be moving up to northern california next month. up to now, this stuff has been trapped in my apartment, taking up approximately 1/3 of my apartment. With the move, comes an opportunity. My goal with this gear, which is about 30-40% owned by geekhackers.org, has always been to make it as available as possible to the geekhack community. Up until now, that has been pretty difficult, as I can't really allow 24 hour access to my apartment :P.

Anyway, my idea is to move towards establishing a hackerspace in the SF Bay Area for us by us. It would have to operate on a subscription basis to pay for the space, with the kind of training system that is used at other hackerspaces. This space could also be used for geekhackers.org operations.

I know we have a pretty large contingent of bay area users. I'm also pretty acutely aware of how much space costs in the bay, so I would need buy-in from that pretty large contingent of users to get this going. Can people weigh in on this?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: [IC] Northern California (geek)hackerspace?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 07:54:07 »
Dammit, you cali people get all the good stuff :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 08:07:00 »
Have you considered working with an already established hackerspace? Maybe they could provide the space for your tools, and in return, they could offer discounted (or even free) memberships? I found one hackerspace in California that seems to be, I dunno, "more north" than some others.

http://www.davismakerspace.org/

That's in Davis, California -- not sure how far that would be for the Northern Cali. contingent of GHers.

As for SF, they seem to have a number of hackerspaces. Maybe move your tools to their location, and orchestrate a passive takeover of the group by means of an influx of GH members. Is that evil? Ok, yeah, but only a little bit.  :D

Some other hackerspaces I found:

https://www.noisebridge.net/
https://sudoroom.org/

Both are in SF.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 08:11:22 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 08:33:21 »
I'd be interested in breaking your stuff whenever I'm in the Bay.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 08:48:05 »
If I was anywhere close I would be all over that like fat kid on a cupcake.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline geniekid

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 10:00:04 »
Move to Chicago.  Kthxbai.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 10:02:53 »
If/when I move to the area (More of a matter of when at this point in time as the wife wants to go out that way when we're done with school as well) I'd be completely interested.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 10:11:03 »
Guess I need to de-lurk now.

I think this is a grand idea, but... It might be a real challenge to make it work. The Bay Area is flush with options for hackerspaces/makerspaces. However, I don't frequent any of them and the reasons are the ones you'll have to solve.

I live 2 blocks from noisebridge. I basically never go. As a hackerspace done by cryptoanarchists there's no fee, loads of crazy equipment, and everything I've ever tried to use has been broken. I've met a ton of cool people, which is awesome, but I can't really use the space for anything. The sudo room is supposed to be better, but even more computer related. Even further is any of the coderdojos.

There are multiple TechShops, including one about 6 blocks from my house. I don't belong to these either. At over $1K per year plus needing to pay for SBU classes before you can use each piece of equipment, it's just too expensive for how often I would use it. Same thing with the sawdust shop down in the South Bay.

I've found that it's often *not* worth it to do it myself. Acrylic laser cutting is $90 an hour at pagoda arts and that means I can just hand over files and materials and not have to guess about power, speed, and fight with Corel, which is what TechShop requires. There are multiple cnc routing shops in the area and I'm talking to for my next project where they are providing expertise so I don't have to run through tons of material screwing up.

So, all of that is to say... my interest is high, but it would have to fit in the box of: not too expensive (maybe around $50 a month?), stuff that works, good access hours, and enough equipment--and you have the constraints of space costs, liability insurance, and how to manage the space, people, and equipment. I'm pulling for you, and am willing to help a bit, but it's going to be tough.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 10:16:17 »
A collab with Noisebridge, Sudo Room, etc could be an option but while I've been to both spaces I don't hold membership or have any contacts at either. Though I think Jesse from keyboard.io is pretty contected to the Noisbridge crew.

Finding, renting and maintaining a space might be pretty tough with a small close-knit contingent of geekhackers. If someone had a garage like space which was close to BART that would be ideal. A lot of SF artists/ bands have practice spaces in West Oakland, this is something sth would know more about. Some don't think too highly of Oakland  ???

Anyway, just throwing some ideas around. I'd really love to have a meet up/ work space. I'll ping haata amd see if he has any insight, I know he has quite a bit of equipment and works mostly out of techshop.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 June 2014, 10:52:07 by jwaz »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 10:22:32 »
Hmmm. I have just moved from a large flat house with a big garage in which I kept a workshop full of wood- and metal-working tools.  I am now in a three-story place with our actual cars in the garage.  So I am trying to figure out where and how to set up my personal workshop.  Maybe at my office, maybe elsewhere.

The above is to say that I might have some tools to add to the pile, depending on how/if this sorts itself out.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 13:01:18 »
I may be interested. I've always wanted access to machining tools because my house lacks any useful for crafting. However, I'm a college student so a subscription fee is iffy depending on the cost. I also have access to some machine tools on my campus, so it would depend on how convenient the hackerspace would be in comparison.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:33:55 »
davis is an hour+ away from most bay area folks.

i'm not interested in conglomming with another hackerspace other than subletting our own private space.

curious how much we'd be looking at for a garage-sized piece of CRE though. ron?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline divito

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 16:15:40 »

I second this sentiment.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:36:52 »

I second this sentiment.

That's it I'm moving to Cali.  No wait, to many goofy ass strict laws other on gun control and emissions.  I am moving to south western oregon
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 17:40:02 »
Ya'll are looking at this all wrong. If this happens, we can do a Keycon West yearly or maybe even biannually. Bring your boards, projects, selves over and break everything in kawa's shop during the weekend!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 07:52:16 »
the car community has come up with a very large book of tricks for dealing with emissions

STOP TALKING ABOUT BREAKING THE TOOLS CBA. NO BREAKING NO BREAKING NO BREAKING

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:00:02 »
If I'm involved, there will be stuff breaking. Just saying. :(

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:09:22 »
unfortunately, i'm well aware that this is true :(

Offline divito

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:30:44 »
Just bubble wrap CPT and put him in the corner while we all play.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:31:54 »
I wanna break things...   :(   I have a garage in eastern WI you could set up in if you'd like...   :rolleyes:   Seems fairly central to the country to me.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 22:28:00 »
As far as cost goes, where are you thinking? In my hood you're probably looking at 20 bucks per square foot if you want wiring and a somewhat secure spot. Options increase if you go further out. Next to bart is awesome, but again makes it more expensive. Gimmie what you have in mind and I can poke an acquaintance in commercial real estate to get a clearer picture.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 01:39:32 »
Ahh, you're moving?  Maybe I should have delayed sending the domos!  Now you have more stuff to pack, haha.
Hi :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 18:47:34 »
we have a lot of people in the east bay and a lot of people on the peninsula. halfway between would be kind of nice. most of the super industrial areas in that area have become hoity toity office space now though. when i was a kid, hayward/fremont were solidly industrial, and there were tons of small CRE lots in complexes with the loading-dock style entry. i have no idea how much of that is still left though, and more importantly, not being occupied by startups of some kind. to some extent, we just need a garage where we can make a lot of noise and not bother anyone. i don't see a need for 220v, which would be a tricky bit. we will almost certainly need more than 15A 110v though.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 01:38:01 »
You will want more than 15 amp per circuit.  Especially if there will be people running more stuff than what you have currently.  No need to go real high but I would shoot for 20 amp circuits.  Hell my PSU fully loaded can pull 7 on its own.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 16:50:49 »
Make sure to save money by replacing the copper wiring with aluminium.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 17:14:16 »
I may not be an EE but I am not sure aluminum wire is code legal for residential or commercial wiring.  Plus I am not sure if I would trust it for heavy loads.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:18:40 »
I live 2 blocks from noisebridge. I basically never go. As a hackerspace done by cryptoanarchists there's no fee, loads of crazy equipment, and everything I've ever tried to use has been broken. I've met a ton of cool people, which is awesome, but I can't really use the space for anything. The sudo room is supposed to be better, but even more computer related. Even further is any of the coderdojos.
Yeah, I spent some time hanging out at Noisebridge a couple years ago. It suffices for basic projects, but I don’t think you could make substantial use of shop tools without serious frustration. Also, it’s way too distracting inside for me to be productive.

There are multiple TechShops, including one about 6 blocks from my house. I don't belong to these either. At over $1K per year plus needing to pay for SBU classes before you can use each piece of equipment, it's just too expensive for how often I would use it. Same thing with the sawdust shop down in the South Bay.
If you consider the machines, maintenance, staff, and liability insurance costs, I think TechShop is quite reasonably priced. Especially if you don’t know how to use the equipment already. But yeah, it needs fairly heavy use to be worthwhile; I think they might benefit from other membership structures beyond monthly rates (e.g. selling packs of 10 one-day passes, or similar).

They do have a special deal until tomorrow to buy a 20-class coupon for $900 (as a member), which works out to $45/class, which is much cheaper than the standard prices for most classes, and the 20 coupons can be used by anyone (so a group of people could pool together for it). https://secure.techshop.ws/memberships.cfm?step=select_offer

Acrylic laser cutting is $90 an hour at pagoda arts and that means I can just hand over files and materials and not have to guess about power, speed, and fight with Corel, which is what TechShop requires. There are multiple cnc routing shops in the area and I'm talking to for my next project where they are providing expertise so I don't have to run through tons of material screwing up.
I spent a few hours cutting stuff on the TechShop laser cutter... it’s not at all hard to figure out Illustrator or Corel Draw.

What’s your recommendation on CNC routing shops? What kind of capabilities/pricing do they have?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 22:35:26 »
personally, i think you're better off with laser than a typical cnc router. even the nicer shopbots are really just wood and plastic. they don't have the torque and can't hold laser-like tolerances on metals, and the most they could process is thin sheet anyway. for plastics and mdf, look for  100w laser, and for metals, find a good 1-2kw shop.

this is one of the reasons i never considered a cnc router. a tiny mill is much more useful for the kinds of one-off small parts that you want to make out of billet metals but can't justify mill shop costs for. i like the 100w laser tables, and you can get some that are fairly inexpensive, so if we find a space, that may be a cool thing to consider. the cut on those is thin, and the better ones can hold good tolerances on up to 1/8" acrylic, which is a nice general purpose building material.

anyway, a fellow on the board has contacted me about potential inexpensive north county CRE. this would as far as santa rosa/sonoma/san mateo, or possibly as close as martinez, vallejo, san pablo? i am also curious how prices in alameda are right now.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 22:44:12 »
There's a place open in an industrial park in Hayward that's about 85 cents per sqft. It's 1400 sqft, has onsite management, is right off 92, and at an ca transit bus stop (critically the M, which goes from Hayward Bart to hillsdale Caltrain. I still need to chat with some people to figure out realistic monthly costs, but it appears a good place in a nice location can be had for less than 2k a month, including utilities. I'll update with details as I get them.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 22:46:28 »
that's not bad at all. please keep me updated on that one.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 00:32:31 »
I would prefer a location in Santa Clara or Mountain View, since Hayward is about 45 minutes away. Unfortunately, the Bay Area is huge so it's impossible to satisfy everybody.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 02:00:54 »
CRE in SC, MV anywhere on the peninsula is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:15:21 »
CRE in SC, MV anywhere on the peninsula is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.
Yup unfortunately. I'll just wait and see what you end up deciding.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:51:40 »
how do people feel about north bay/north east bay?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:33:23 »
Anywhere inaccessible by transit is going to be much less useful.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:36:03 »
If you move before Christmas I'll do my best to make an appearance during the holiday season

I'll be in socal, so it might not happen
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 21:19:05 »
believe it or not, the bus system in the east bay and north county actually works pretty well

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 21:20:10 »
it's mostly a "will my parents let me" thing
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 22:24:23 »
By North Bay do you mean Marin? Because getting from anywhere else in the Bay Area to anywhere in Marin is a huge pain, unless you have a car.

If you put it somewhere in the East Bay right near a BART stop, that would be alright. The closer to SF the better. :-)
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 22:26:59 by jacobolus »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 01:58:00 »
hah, marin is exactly the opposite of cheap real estate. north richmond, martinez, vallejo, and to the west, potentially as far north as sonoma. the north east bay is much easier to get to via public transportation. so is wayy east -- san mateo might be a possibility, but hayward/fremont is probably going to be cheaper..

much like the forum itself, it's really a question of herding the mice who are willing to put the money and time into the effort into the venture while at the same time finding the right space for lease.

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 13:19:59 »
what about east bay around walnut creek-pleasant hill or san Ramon-Dublin. it would be close to bart as well
poker II

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:03:15 »
yah, that's an option. iirc real estate in that area is much better than south bay. hayward area maybe? there's also that super industrial area near the coliseum.

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:40:01 »
If feel like as you get closer to altamont-livermore the prices would get pretty cheap. Maybe something off vasco would be pretty convenient even if it a little bit from bart.
poker II

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:28:41 »
agreed. imo it's more convenient than the southbayers would think as well..

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:29:27 »
the other odd place i was thinking of was the industrial bits of alameda (the municipality, not the county). afaik alameda is still basically industrial and is inexpensive.

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 22:46:47 »
Are you talking about near the Hornet Museum/Bladium area? If so, I know that there's a bunch of run down warehouses there and abandoned buildings there. Maybe you can get lucky and pick up something cheap around there. (It would also be fairly close to UC Berkeley which would be nice  :p)
poker II

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 17:16:47 »
so things have changed quite a bit here. i took a job in cambridge, MA and will be starting there in september. to that end, i'm going to leave the makerbot rep2x aka the smallfry bot at ron's offices: 724support/standsure systems. i will be bringing the sherline 4-axis milling machine with me, as well as all my other heavy machinery, and will be renting a place large enough and isolated enough for my apartment to continue being the lab. photoelectric and dork vader will be in the area, so we'll see how available we can make the lab there.

so, upshot is we don't need to rent commercial space in northern cal (which as everyone has pointed out, is insanely expensive). however, my planned collaborative hackerspace in northern california idea is going to have to go on the shelf for a while :(

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 18:54:41 »
How long are you staying in the Bay Area? We should get together to chat sometime before you leave. (Maybe we can get HaaTa to put together another meetup this month.)

If they could only fix the weather, Cambridge would be a really nice town. Unfortunately, it’s only nice to be outside in May and October.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 August 2014, 18:57:47 by jacobolus »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 22:47:44 »
We're trying to do an end of the month meetup