Author Topic: Mimic usb cable  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Z16B

Mimic usb cable
« on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:10:00 »
I tried posting on the vendor forum but my post keeps getting deleted, weird.  Anyway, about 4 weeks ago I ordered a usb cable from Mimic since I read many positive reviews on this site about them.  Here's a pictures of the product I received:

I think the picture speaks for itself.  I hope this serves as a warning to folks considering placing an order for a usb cable with an angled connector from this vendor.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Mimic usb cable
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:15:56 »
Ouch..  I've been thinking about ordering a custom cable soon, thanks

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:16:57 »
Wow, I hate to admit it, but that's pretty bad.
If you do order custom made stuff from people, you should probably ask for pictures for approval beforehand.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:31:17 »
Sucks, but did you try... contacting mimic cables directly rather than posting on their public discussion?

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:40:52 »
Sucks, but did you try... contacting mimic cables directly rather than posting on their public discussion?

In the Reddit thread related to the same issue the OP stated that Mimic got back to him and said this was necessary to ensure the stability of the connector and that it is an intentional design or method, as it were. No screenshots to that effect, but unless the OP is a scumbag we can assume that that avenue has been exhausted. I personally had no issues RMAing a Mimic cable I ordered this winter, but the issue was a DOA cable, not a workmanship complaint of this nature.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:41:19 »
Ouch, sorry to see that Z16B
PM me and I'll make you a proper "angled connector", costs on me.
I can finish it today, and mail it Thursday for DHL express delivery on Friday. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:48:08 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Z16B

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:43:53 »

Sure did.  They said they were sorry that I felt the cable looked terrible, but that they had to glue it like that to prevent it from failing.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:50:34 »

That is an improper use of an ellipsis; Your facetiousness is transparent at best.
Rather than being catty about it why not just offer your solution? Read below.

You should contact Mimic directly before posting a thread.

edit: looks like he tried.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:52:30 »
Speaking as a forum member with an opinion, not a moderator, fankly that looks like something soldered by someone holding a soldering iron for the first time.  I have doubts about the authenticity of this cable as coming from Mimic. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 15:55:26 »
I can finish it today, and mail it Thursday for DHL express delivery on Friday. :thumb:

^^ this guy....geez....stop being so freaking awesome ;)

Clearly TJ has outsourced his cable business, maybe he had to get some help since he is clearly covered up with GH60 stuff.

Offline Z16B

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:00:18 »
..fankly that looks like something soldered by someone holding a soldering iron for the first time.

My thoughts exactly.

I have doubts about the authenticity of this cable as coming from Mimic.

Sadly, it is from them. Why would i make this up?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:00:37 »
Speaking as a forum member with an opinion, not a moderator, fankly that looks like something soldered by someone holding a soldering iron for the first time.  I have doubts about the authenticity of this cable as coming from Mimic.

I think the OP received this cable:

It's under "today's work", and the image in OP also shows a bit of lettering on the HS.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:01:36 »

I don't see any soldering in that picture?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:03:55 »

I don't see any soldering in that picture?

Looks like globs of solder on my screen and some melted/damaged housing.  It could be melted shrink wrap giving that appearance as shown on the next photograph.  P.S.: looks to be it then--can see the white lettering too a bit.  Surprised :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:06:35 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Z16B

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:06:37 »

I think the OP received this cable:
Show Image

It's under "today's work", and the image in OP also shows a bit of lettering on the HS.

Yup, that's the one.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:07:40 »
Looks like globs of solder on my screen and some melted/damaged housing.  Maybe it's just glue giving it that appearance.

The housing is a bit damaged and I think what you mean is just some molten shrink tubing that became glossy after melting and cooling down again. The tube gets put around the wires and the sleeve after soldering so that being solder is unlikely. That means it's probably still functional but the tube was heated too long or too hot (not an expert though).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:10:11 »
Looks like globs of solder on my screen and some melted/damaged housing.  Maybe it's just glue giving it that appearance.

The housing is a bit damaged and I think what you mean is just some molten shrink tubing that became glossy after melting and cooling down again. The tube gets put around the wires and the sleeve after soldering so that being solder is unlikely. That means it's probably still functional but the tube was heated too long or too hot (not an expert though).

Sure did.  They said they were sorry that I felt the cable looked terrible, but that they had to glue it like that to prevent it from failing.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:10:24 »
Looks like black hot glue to me.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:10:56 »

Express delivery as well?
This guy knows how to run a business.  ;D

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:16:40 »

Express delivery as well?
This guy knows how to run a business.  ;D

Well, DHL Express is my standard shipping method to US, and it costs about the same as Canada Post's rates but 4-5x faster...Shame they don't ship domestic though.  ;)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:18:53 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:28:34 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:39:03 »
I'll just address everything here at once:

Perhaps I  should have put a little more show with my earlier tell, but to me;
ugly glue reinforced right angle joint 
More
is better than the (admittedly) aesthetically more pleasing, but less durable join seen here
More

And that's because unlike zeal, who's only seeking to serve his own gain(by the way, he already has a replacement in the mail thanks), I warranty both for life and accidental wear and tear.  Meaning that I try to aim for a cable that will last more than 30 seconds, especially with a known weak point like the right angle mini/micro connector.

That all being said, I also explained that I would (and did) replace it if he wished with a cable like the second one pictured. 

Oh also, it's a drop of CA glue to weld the four plastics of the mdpc, sleeve, heatshrink and dust cover together.  MDPC sleeved cables are too thick to fit directly into the closed right angle opening, as is most heatshrink. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:42:32 by tjcaustin »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:41:42 »

More
Show Image
is better than the (admittedly) aesthetically more pleasing, but less durable join seen here
More
Show Image

And that's because unlike zeal, who's only seeking to serve his own gain(by the way, he already has a replacement in the mail thanks), I warranty both for life and accidental wear and tear.  Meaning that I try to aim for a cable that will last more than 30 seconds, especially with a known weak point like the right angle mini/micro connector.

That all being said, I also explained that I would (and did) replace it if he wished with a cable like the second one pictured.

Have you tried enlarging the hole slightly with a file? I had some luck with that on a small connector.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:43:30 »

More
Show Image
More
Show Image

Have you tried enlarging the hole slightly with a file? I had some luck with that on a small connector.

I haven't tried because the casing is kinda thin and I haven't wanted to risk weakening it further.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:50:11 »
It appears that we might want to source some better right angle housings then.
Maybe we could 3D print some housings that would accommodate for braided cables with heatshrink.
If the housings are good enough, heatshrink might not even be required.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 16:53:04 »
It appears that we might want to source some better right angle housings then.
Maybe we could 3D print some housings that would accommodate for braided cables with heatshrink.
If the housings are good enough, heatshrink might not even be required.

Honestly,  I need to have some injection molds made for them, lightning connectors and micro connectors, too. But that requires skills I don't have and haven't had the time to learn, ie - autocad to design the mold.

I've tried using silicone to make the molds but run into issues with spillage and overflow to the point where the cables look bad and don't work right.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 17:01:59 »
I don't feel like starting drama here, but I'd just like to point out a few parts:

- At least use non-lettered heatshrink if they're going to show. Everyone knows lettered heatshrink is not aesthetically pleasing to look at.
- I'm not gaining anything. It's just the right thing to do after reading Dyslexic's reply. Why settle with an unsatisfied customer? Get things right the first time.
- If my cables only lasted 30 seconds, I wouldn't still be here.  :p

Both of us have our ways of making cables, reinforcing weak points, etc. I won't comment on your way of making cables, as I've never had one in possession, and I'm sure you haven't either.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 17:06:46 »
I don't feel like starting drama here, but I'd just like to point out a few parts:

- At least use non-lettered heatshrink if they're going to show. Everyone knows lettered heatshrink is not aesthetically pleasing to look at.
- I'm not gaining anything. It's just the right thing to do after reading Dyslexic's reply. Why settle with an unsatisfied customer? Get things right the first time.
- If my cables only lasted 30 seconds, I wouldn't still be here.  :p

Both of us have our ways of making cables, reinforcing weak points, etc. I won't comment on your way of making cables, as I've never had one in possession, and I'm sure you haven't either.

Apologies about the 30 second thing as it was unclear.  That wasn't meant as a slight towards you.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 19:03:41 »
3d printed cable glands would be too brittle (although to be fair i haven't tried printing my taulman nylon yet, and that should be fairly flexible). i would hand-mold an RTV silicone cable gland at the wire to connector housing interface and then layer multiple pieces of heatshrink to even out any small imperfections in the silicone gland.

for mass production, i'd do about an A60 polyurethane or silicone casting (NOT injection molding. the tool would never pay for itself) in a tool aluminum mold.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 19:05:46 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 22:13:14 »
Thanks for the heads up, I'm looking for some custom cables myself.  if that is what I had to do to make a right angle cable, I certainly would not be selling them lol.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 22:48:07 »
I’m trying to contact MiMic, but he doesn’t answer. His last posting is from march. Anyway know where he’s gone?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 23:36:03 »
I’m trying to contact MiMic, but he doesn’t answer. His last posting is from march. Anyway know where he’s gone?

I'm mimic.

To clarify, I'm the business now.  George has had a bunch of personal issues plus school and work so he hasn't been around for a while
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 23:40:00 by tjcaustin »