Author Topic: damorgue's visit to the US and A  (Read 2814 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
damorgue's visit to the US and A
« on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:31:50 »
I have told some people this already, but I will be in NYC between the 4th and 11th of October. I have been there once before but am looking for a few tips anyway. Last time I found a restaurant which had the best food I have ever eaten, and will be revisiting them. I also did all the typical touristy first-visit stuff, eg: Lady Liberty, Guggenheim, Chrysler building, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge & High Line. Last time as was there, they weren't finished rebuilding the area around WTC which I will probably go see this time.

Things on my todo-list: (Edited as I go)
-Bubby's (Previously mentioned restaurant) Edit: Yup, even the name of this glorious establishment sounds classy as f**k
-MoMA
-WTC-memorial/park/site
-Broadway show
-Buy cheap gear:
  -B&H, I will go there again and check if there is anything good in the Photography department and possibly HiFi, computer and electronics department as well
  -Adorama
  -Radioshack

I know that photography gear is dirt cheap in Asia and even though not as cheap, still possibly cheaper in the US than here. What I am looking for are places where people can trade in and where you can buy used camera gear. If people have tips regarding other tech gear I am all ears. I went to B&H last time and although sort of a cool store with their conveyor system, not all that cheap really. I also have the possibility of buying something fairly heavy and getting it home for once, as shipping usually rules stuff like that out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 11:19:05 by damorgue »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: damorgue's visit to the US and A
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 16:27:08 »
nooooo come visit us on the west coast!!!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 17:18:37 »
If you want you can drop by my place in Brooklyn. We can go to shake shack, it'll be baller.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 17:28:33 »
Oh how I wish I could be in NYC at this time :(. I really just need to move back to NYS.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:02:08 »

or the midwest...

This should be called "damorque's visit to NYC"...   :p

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:37:13 »

You need to arrange an east coast event asap

If you want you can drop by my place in Brooklyn. We can go to shake shack, it'll be baller.

Dunno how far/difficult it is to go there, but I might. I will be staying on manhattan and probably stay there mostly, although it might be fun to visit brooklyn, queens, bronx and staten island.

or the midwest...

This should be called "damorque's visit to NYC"...   :p

Well, I consider it a possibility to get stuf from the US, as I might manage to ship things to New York and then bring them with me, hence stuff from the entire US is suddenly available. Usually, shipping costs and zolle-merde makes them unviable.

What is common in the US and rare in EU?

Model F? Beamspring? You don't happen to have Swedish cherry-profiles lying around spread across the country ;)

Ooooh, I just remembered! I need to buy eutectic 63/37 solder.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 13:57:43 »

What is common in the US and rare in EU?

Crime
Criminals
Guns
Powerful assault rifles
Hand grenades
Tasers
Drones
Stuff for spying on your enemies (and friends)

btw despite my general negativity about the US, I actually like quite a number of the abovementioned things. Being from a tyrannical, dictatorial state, I really like the idea of an armed populace because that keeps the government from going too far.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 14:29:58 »
Perhaps pick up some clothes and things... America has a different style and some of those things are not seen in Europe as much perhaps. Though I suppose that depends on your taste quite a bit. But I usually do this when I go visit abroad instead of packing a lot of things with me, I go and buy local. It's nice not to stick out like a sore thumb as obvious tourist so much. Also if you are into high end designer things you may be able to pick up some nice regional exclusives as they do.
Things like ssd, gpu and other computer part can be massively cheaper in US than Europe. It might be wise to look at those kind of things if they may be needed.
BOOZE. Always good to bring back as gifts. Get some nice small batch American Bourbons or quality Tequilas as I know both of those can be very hard to get or insanely expensive due to import fees and such in EU in most cases.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:48:14 »
Perhaps pick up some clothes and things... America has a different style and some of those things are not seen in Europe as much perhaps. Though I suppose that depends on your taste quite a bit. But I usually do this when I go visit abroad instead of packing a lot of things with me, I go and buy local. It's nice not to stick out like a sore thumb as obvious tourist so much. Also if you are into high end designer things you may be able to pick up some nice regional exclusives as they do.
Things like ssd, gpu and other computer part can be massively cheaper in US than Europe. It might be wise to look at those kind of things if they may be needed.
BOOZE. Always good to bring back as gifts. Get some nice small batch American Bourbons or quality Tequilas as I know both of those can be very hard to get or insanely expensive due to import fees and such in EU in most cases.

Wouldn't the customs officials do a number on damorgue by the time he gets home? Norway is like a paradise for taxation, is it not?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:51:39 »
Yeah depending on the timing, I could maybe hang for a day or a bit if you'd like :)

I'm out of new jersey for most of my life starting in August..but I'll be in the Philly area so still pretty close to NYC

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:59:23 »
Norway is like a paradise for taxation, is it not?
yeah. good that damorgue lives in sweden.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:29:47 »
Most of the trick to not getting hammered by taxes on re-entry at home is to make sure to OPEN everything (asides from food (be careful with food as some stuff may not be allowed in at customs!) or beverages) and REMOVE any price tags. Also if possible get rid of any packaging that you can and of course do not have any receipts. In most places this works as they are more lax about 'used' items or 'gifts'. They can't prove otherwise really. Though obviously if you try to stroll through with 30 gpus they might get suspicions. Just don't be dumb and you can usually get away with this tactic.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:31:38 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 17:28:49 »
Most of the trick to not getting hammered by taxes on re-entry at home is to make sure to OPEN everything (asides from food (be careful with food as some stuff may not be allowed in at customs!) or beverages) and REMOVE any price tags. Also if possible get rid of any packaging that you can and of course do not have any receipts. In most places this works as they are more lax about 'used' items or 'gifts'. They can't prove otherwise really. Though obviously if you try to stroll through with 30 gpus they might get suspicions. Just don't be dumb and you can usually get away with this tactic.

You're totally right. I am simply not used to evading taxes. Living in one of the world's great free ports means there are really few taxes to think about. It's one of the very few good things about this crappy elected monarchy masquerading as a democracy.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 10:17:33 »

You need to arrange an east coast event asap

Ming to plan keycon east on October! Details at 11.

I'd drive down and visit as well, but it's impossible to park there.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:23:19 »

Does anyone know of a good electronics store in NYC where I might find this? I have also at times seen really large discounts on HAKKO stations posted around here but they have been too heavy to ship, so I might keep my eyes open for something like that as well.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:04:42 »

Does anyone know of a good electronics store in NYC where I might find this? I have also at times seen really large discounts on HAKKO stations posted around here but they have been too heavy to ship, so I might keep my eyes open for something like that as well.

honestly your best bet's to have someone who lives in NYC order it for you and just give it to you when you come to NYC.
In terms of electronics, most of the stuff in NYC is consumer electronics.
For specialty stuff you will have to either know the small specialty shops (which i have 0 clue lol) or prob get out of the city and to the surrounding areas.

And most of the no name private shops that do camera trades and what not are pretty much a step above a pawn shop imo.  B&H is known as one of the fairer stores in NYC, but its a "name chain".  You can also try Adorama too to see if they're more competitive than B&H.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 11:18:05 »

honestly your best bet's to have someone who lives in NYC order it for you and just give it to you when you come to NYC.
For specialty stuff you will have to either know the small specialty shops (which i have 0 clue lol) or prob get out of the city and to the surrounding areas.

And most of the no name private shops that do camera trades and what not are pretty much a step above a pawn shop imo.  B&H is known as one of the fairer stores in NYC, but its a "name chain".  You can also try Adorama too to see if they're more competitive than B&H.
Radioshack is the name of the store which usually pops up with decent offers and discounts in the soldering thread. It appears they have stores in NYC. I will make a list of stores to visit:

-B&H, I will go there again and check if there is anything good in the Photography department and possibly HiFi, computer and electronics department as well
-Adorama
-Radioshack

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 11:58:36 »

Radioshack is the name of the store which usually pops up with decent offers and discounts in the soldering thread. It appears they have stores in NYC. I will make a list of stores to visit:

-Adorama
-Radioshack

Just so you're prepared, Radioshack has been slipping a lot lately.  They're shifting their focus away from small electronics and project-based gadgets to phones and larger electronics.   :-X

They do still carry soldering tools and equipment, it's just not nearly as impressive as it once was.  Their parts drawers are getting smaller and smaller as the years go by.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 12:04:25 »
Yeah, I had ELFA nearby up until 3 months ago. It still bums me out. They didn't require a company for you to buy and you could buy pretty much ANYTHING, with no requirement on value or anything. I often bought a single resistors or components, some only costing a few cents each, and I would get them individually wrapped in ESD bags with shipping from their central storage for free. Most companies which bought from them probably bought thousands, but it was so nice that they also took orders no matter how small with no extra charges. They carried pretty much everything you could think of too.

If anyone has any more tips let me know.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 12:34:21 »
Like I said you'll prob have better luck asking someone to order for you and just give you when you're in NY. Amazon and newegg prices should be lower than any b&m

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 12:47:45 »

-Adorama
-Radioshack

Hmm, well you will certainly find "something good" in the photo dept. at B&H.  B&H is probably the best photography store on planet Earth.  Maybe Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara Tokyo, is just as good, but I doubt it.  If you want something "good", you will find it at B&H, but you will also have to pay for it.   Are you looking for a $6,000 Carl Zeiss lens?  They have it.  Maybe you are looking for a $22,000 Leica DSLR?   They have that too.  Maybe you are a down-market shopper?   Well then maybe the $8,000 Canon is what you need?   heh.  $8K for a camera is not "down-market" anywhere except in Manhattan

B&H has all the super-expensive stuff, but you can also get a $100 point-and-shoot, as well.  And the lighting dept. is sick.  Also the video section in insane.  Literally, it will make you crazy, because even though you didn't know that stuff existed, you will want to buy it all.  Overall, I would say the prices on the camera stuff are very reasonable, I won't say "cheap", but they have very low profit-margins on the camera stuff.  But, B&H makes their money back on all the other stuff, the camera bag, case, tripod, strap, etc.  The prices on that stuff seem to be full-retail.  So I think you have to be careful once you go beyond buying just the camera body and lens. 

If you want tools, I would suggest Home Depot for soldering equipment.  It's pretty cheap, but not super-high quality.  Although they do carry brands like Bosch and Milwaukee.

Here is your list of stuff you want to do, and my opinions:

-Bubby's - waste of time and money.  This place was made famous by John Kennedy Jr. who lived across the street and used to eat brunch there.  The prices are high and the food is mediocre, and the wait is long.

-MoMA - Yes of course, world famous museum.  The museum's collection was initially donated by Mrs. John D.  Rockefeller Jr., who also donated the building (nice to have a spare building in midtown Manhattan, right?).  When the wife of the richest man who ever lived makes a museum, it's safe to say it turns out to be pretty decent, and worth a look.  Pro Tip:  pay the entrance fee and skip the line.  Do not try to go on Free Night, as the line goes around the block and up 6th Avenue to the Park.  It's free, but the crowd will kill you.  Literally, you might get trampled.

-WTC-memorial/park/site - worth a look, but depressing as f*ck.

-Broadway show - depends on the show.  Also, Broadway shows have variable pricing like the airlines, so be a smart shopper.  Pro Tip:  go to the TKTS booth in Times Square and get 1/2 price tickets on the day of the show.  Not all shows are available, but pick the best of what's on offer the day you go, for 1/2 price you will be happy with the show, most likely.  Just remember the guy next to you probably paid $200 or more, to see the same show.  See here:  https://www.tdf.org//

-Buy cheap gear - depends on your definition of "cheap".  Also depends on what you need for "gear".  If you need a $5,000 telephoto lens to take pics at the world cup for the Sporting News, then you are in luck, 'cuz B&H sells those.  They sell them to professional photographers, but they will sell one to you as well.   

-Radioshack:  Do not waste your time.  This store is a joke.  Well, it would be a joke, if the joke wasn't funny.  And if the joke was actually an insult. 

If you PM me your hotel location (give me the cross streets), and your age (approximate) and dinner price range, and your other traveling companions, i.e., wife, children, parents, grand-parents, etc., I can give you some well-tailored suggestions on where to eat.  Do not put this info in this thread, obviously, b/c it's too personal.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 14:05:33 »
Thanks for all the tips

My UPS broke down yesterday. Well, it needs a replacement battery is all, but they are expensive as f**k. I bought the unit used for one 6th the cost of a branded replacement battery. There are generic ones which are a bit cheaper, and even cheaper in the US. :) Does anyone know if transporting semi-large batteries with acid and whatnot in them is allowed in checked in luggage?

I will be disconnecting my server this evening and taking it of the UPS to stop that infernal beeping. It doesn't host anything really important, just my website, portfolio and acts as my personal NAS and cloudstorage.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 14:09:22 »
Does anyone know if transporting semi-large batteries with acid and whatnot in them is allowed in checked in luggage?

When I was traveling from HK to the USA, I saw signs that all batteries should be in checked luggage. So I think a UPS would be fine.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 21:23:14 »
I think Li-ion and Li-PO batteries are still prohibited on flights excluding laptops as carry on.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 July 2014, 21:27:57 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:16:19 »
best to check with your carrier for specific regulations.