Author Topic: Stainless steel plates R2 [Phantom]  (Read 7547 times)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Stainless steel plates R2 [Phantom]
« on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 21:19:58 »
The intro

I'm starting this thread to gauge interest in another round of 16 ga. 304 stainless steel keyboard plates. I intend to use the same metal fabrication shop I used for the uTKL plates from R1. Everyone seemed pleased with the quality of their work so I see no reason to change that.

The plate(s)

This is where you come in. I'm going to let the community pick and the top two most requested Phantom plate designs are what I will get produced. To cast your vote, use the google forms link at the bottom of this post. I will update this post periodically with the current vote count for each design. Poll will close sometime early in July and the group buy thread with the two winning designs will be created shortly thereafter.

The orders

Target price is $35 per plate. We would need at least 36 plate orders to hit this price point. Ordering will very likely be capped at 60 total plates. Organizing payments, dealing with order changes, shipping, etc. are all very time consuming so I really want to keep this somewhat small in scope that way I can ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible for everyone involved (myself included).

I'm almost positive I'm going to restrict this to CONUS only. International shipping last round was a headache and I really didn't like jumping through all the hoops for customs. CONUS shipping should be the same as R1, assuming the chosen designs fit into USPS flat rate envelope; 1-2 = $6, 3-4 = $12, 5+ = $18.

If there is a overall lack of interest in this or not enough people interested in at least two designs combined to add up to the MOQ of 36 this could easily end up going no where.

The poll

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yhB4T2ujJ5T42ZDwGzSz7YLWg5V-dFTcCE02vlHPlMI/viewform

Vote count
----------------------
ANSI 125 - 8
7BIT - 4
ANSI 150 - 3
ANSI 150 SPLIT SHIFT - 2
ISO 150 - 2
ANSI 125 SPLIT SHIFT - 1
HHK150 - 2
ANSI 150 SPLIT SHIFT/BACKSPACE - 1
ANSI 125 SPLIT SHIFT/BACKSPACE - 0

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:04:16 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Stainless steel plates R2
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 21:23:36 »
Please do this one!

I'm too lazy to actually make a run of this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58538

reference image
68951-0

SVG attached

If nobody else likes split right shift, then I suggest doing a standard 1.25 and a standard 1.5
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 21:31:56 by Pacifist »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:03:11 »
Please do this one!

I'm too lazy to actually make a run of this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58538

reference image
(Attachment Link)

SVG attached

If nobody else likes split right shift, then I suggest doing a standard 1.25 and a standard 1.5

If we ran that design someone would have to update it slightly. It looks like all the 2x stabilized keys have the extra metal tab that interferes with opening switch tops.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the style of switch opening. That design gives each switch 20 individual corners that need cut compared to other designs (jdcarpe's?) that still allow for switch opening and only have 12 corners. I don't see any reason the design couldn't be cut if everyone agreed on it, but I would like to avoid adding 8 extra corners per switch for no benefit (or very little) if possible. Using this image as a reference, I would prefer to use design #2 or #5 if possible.

I'm curious about the holes around the perimeter of the plate. It looks like a design for exposed-plate two-piece case? Similar to the one jdcarpe used for a Phantom? Would there need to be an accompanying steel plate for the bottom?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:15:52 »
Pacifist, if you're going with a short right shift, why not get a split backspace as well?

So I guess the Phantom is the target PCB for these plates?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline geniekid

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:17:23 »
Please do this one!

reference image
(Attachment Link)

SVG attached

If we ran that design someone would have to update it slightly. It looks like all the 2x stabilized keys have the extra metal tab that interferes with opening switch tops.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the style of switch opening. That design gives each switch 20 individual corners that need cut compared to other designs (jdcarpe's?) that still allow for switch opening and only have 12 corners. I don't see any reason the design couldn't be cut if everyone agreed on it, but I would like to avoid adding 8 extra corners per switch for no benefit (or very little) if possible. Using this image as a reference, I would prefer to use design #2 or #5 if possible.

I'm curious about the holes around the perimeter of the plate. It looks like a design for exposed-plate two-piece case? Similar to the one jdcarpe used for a Phantom? Would there need to be an accompanying steel plate for the bottom?

I'm pretty sure Pacifist's design is from MOZ's SVG generator, which outputs the plate as part of a multilayered case.  Also, it might just be the CAD program I use, but MOZ's generator seems to have the dimensions slightly off - the ESC slot, for example, doesn't line up with the slot below it.  There were a couple of other discrepancies I found while going over it.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:41:39 »
Please do this one!

reference image
(Attachment Link)

SVG attached

I got the file from moz's file generator, which he hasn't updated in a while. I'm clueless when it comes to CAD work so I don't know how to fix it.

Pacifist, if you're going with a short right shift, why not get a split backspace as well?

I like the split shift because you can have a fn key there. Apart from that, regular setup is fine with me. I've never actually tried split backspace so I don't know how useful it is

Also I think its any plate, but IMO there are already plenty of 60% plates and not so many plates that utilize phantom setups. The 104/108 plate is in good hands, and there aren't many 75% lovers to get plates.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:48:49 by Pacifist »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:49:22 »
ne0phyte wrote a beautiful, simple little layout generator at http://ne0.cc/laygenV2. It just doesn't have a GUI, but once you understand how to enter the code at the bottom, it's easy to enter your key labels and sizes, to see how it will look all together.

If you notice, it has a button just above the box where you enter the code, that will generate a .DXF drawing file from your layout.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:51:09 »
ne0phyte wrote a beautiful, simple little layout generator at http://ne0.cc/laygenV2. It just doesn't have a GUI, but once you understand how to enter the code at the bottom, it's easy to enter your key labels and sizes, to see how it will look all together.

If you notice, it has a button just above the box where you enter the code, that will generate a .DXF drawing file from your layout.

Oh nice! I've prefered keyboardlayouteditor over ne0's, but now that I know it makes dxf files out of the design, I'm going to mess around with it a lot :thumb:

Offline geniekid

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:00:31 »
EDIT:  JD's got drawings covered :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:12:21 by geniekid »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:09:16 »
I have drawings, which use the 12-corner hole design, for most of the "common" layouts. ANSI/ISO, 125/150, short right shift, split backspace. Any combination of those. I can get whichever of those drawings to strict, no problem.

in memoriam

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:42:35 »
EDIT:  JD's got drawings covered :)
I suppose I could pipe up at this juncture, that JD has also drawn up a 60% short-right-shift for me, using ALPS holes -- no PCB that I know of but there's Melvang's Enabler GB, for those already in...Or handwiring for those that aren't.

I'm getting mine done locally (already submitted an order) or I'd be requesting it here most likely. Pure-in-Matias, hmm? I'll post pictures somewhere once that's a thing, and good luck / enjoy your plates.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 04:09:15 »
Hey,

I was part of Round 1 and was very satisfied with the quality of my 2 plates  :thumb:

I am looking for this layout for a Phantom PCB (stepped capslock, bottom row 1,5-1-1,5-7-1,5-1-1,5)

If this layout gets made, I'd order 2 plates again.

If you don't want to ship internationally, I'll try to find a proxy  :thumb:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 21:56:49 »

Its definitely starting to look like this might become be a Phantom plate group buy  :p

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:02:08 »
would be interested in the layout 2 replies above but without a stepped caps lock

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:26:05 »
would be interested in the layout 2 replies above but without a stepped caps lock

The design of that plate should allow for both centered and off-center caps lock.  :thumb:

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:12:56 »
actually i would prefer 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 6.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x :-)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:17:00 »
actually i would prefer 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 6.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x :-)
That plate was already made last round so it doesn't make sense to do it again

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:18:28 »
also, i would like standard shift and backspace keys. no shortened/split ones if that is possible. since op stated that he will make 2 designs, can we have 1 standard and maybe 1 with shortened/split keys?

and, i was wondering if this plate would feature removable switch tops w/o desoldering

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:44:46 »
How does the community feel about the 7bit layout? That is, a switchplate for the phantom, with a hole for every single frickin' switch? Or is that what the 108 plate is..?

I just used MOZ' plate-producing script, and that's the SVG that I've attached but note it's built to assume a plate-built-case, as has been pointed out elsewhere.

* TKLPlate.svg (18.32 kB - downloaded 95 times.)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:04:08 »
Since it seems like almost everyone is interested in Phantom plates I've updated the first post to include a google forms poll. Many of the designs in the poll can be found on one of these two pages or will be a slight modification of one of those designs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39410.0
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Phantom_instruction_guide

Major thanks to jdcarpe for being willing to provide the required drawings  :thumb:

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Re: Stainless steel plates R2 [Phantom]
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:06:49 »
i think ansi 125 should be one of the plates you make a gb off (y)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:18:59 »
R1 was ansi 125, so I don't see why we'd do another run of it

Offline geniekid

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:56:56 »

From the original thread, it already seems like some people missed it and wanted in.  R1 was also a universal plate.  No split backspace, no split R-shift, no support for the right side keys the Phantom supports.  Regardless, strict said he may do 2 designs, so it's not necessarily 125 vs 150.  Also, if you are really set on a particular layout, consider running your own IC/GB.  JD seems to be very helpful for providing drawings and I'm willing to help as well!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 00:54:01 »
Since I could only make 1 vote I went for "other: Phantom ISO 150" to make use of my Cherry QWERTZ sets.

My second choice would be ANSI 150  :)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 01:07:42 »

Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it true. Kind of makes voting pointless if you just say 'oh, we did that last time'

YOU'RE LIVING IN THE PAST MAN!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 01:12:54 »

Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it true. Kind of makes voting pointless if you just say 'oh, we did that last time'

YOU'RE LIVING IN THE PAST MAN!
`

Shh, don't tell him he can't get what he wants!

Personally, I'd kill for a standard ANSI Alps plate.  A G80-1800 plate would be cool too, but that would be a very small group of people.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 02:51:52 »
no love for international order? :<

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 03:32:54 »

Well, someone might proxy the plates for us :)

I voted for ISO 150 - do the same   :thumb:

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 03:45:14 »

Well, someone might proxy the plates for us :)

I voted for ISO 150 - do the same   :thumb:

I certainly hope so!

Sorry but I've voted for ansi 125 :<

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:08:34 »
who can?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 08:45:06 »
Updated first post with current vote counts.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 08:38:17 »
Updated the first post again. I'll leave the poll open for about another 7-10 days so get your votes in now!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:10:10 »
Poll closed. Looks like ANSI 125 and 7bit were the two most popular designs. I have to admit, I'm surprised by the popularity of the 7bit plate. On the same hand, I am somewhat concerned about hitting MOQ with just ANSI 125 and 7bit plates so I might add ANSI 150 to the list as well.

I should be able to get the Group buy thread created sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:31:36 »
Group buy thread has been posted - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60816

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:39:20 »
Why ANSI 150 have more vote now then ANSI 125?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 19:31:23 »

Not sure what you're referring to. In the IC thread (this one), ANSI 125 has the most votes. In the group buy thread, ANSI 150 currently has the most orders. The numbers in an interest check rarely translate 100% to what users will actually purchase in the group buy. It's still way too early to say for sure what the final order numbers will be though.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 05:32:40 »

Not sure what you're referring to. In the IC thread (this one), ANSI 125 has the most votes. In the group buy thread, ANSI 150 currently has the most orders. The numbers in an interest check rarely translate 100% to what users will actually purchase in the group buy. It's still way too early to say for sure what the final order numbers will be though.

Poll has closed. I'll vote for phantom though.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.