Author Topic: Loud Bikes  (Read 9422 times)

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: Loud Bikes
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:04:22 »
Loud bikes are fine, so long as they're actually heading somewhere, in which case the sound is gone long before it wears out its welcome. No problem.

Now, loud kids with their drinking parties, and loud hipsters with their live performances of terrible indie music...these I have a problem with.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:21:17 »
I've heard and rode a few Harleys in my life. My uncle is a former "Hell's Angel" apparently. The sound just doesn't really do it for me.

This on the other hand, gives me an instant boner.

My Dad was a former 'Coffin Cheaters' and he loved his bike.  Plus growing up you always heard the bike working and it kind of gets into your blood somewhat, always reminds me of good times.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:23:13 by Elrick »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:13:31 »
I think it's getting to be time to sharpen the question a bit....which type of loud bike do you like/dislike more strongly: Harleys or sport-bikes?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:33:32 »
feel that the saying "loud pipes save lives" is true.

I genuinely believe they save lives on the road.

Loud Pipes Save Lives.

Cagers don't care enough to pay attention, unless you force them with decibels.

Sorry this is a late reply after the bump from MW.

Sound waves don't work how you think they work, people ahead of you don't hear you approaching them because the sound is coming out of the back of your bike. The noise coming out of your pipes is not omnidirectional, and believing so shows a lack of understanding of motorcycle safety and how physics works. All you're doing is irritating drivers behind you and making the situation much more dangerous for yourself.

I rode a 1996 Ninja 250 back in the States (can't wait to bring it here once I get the money) and one of the great features about it was how quiet it was, letting me come home at odd hours in the night without anyone in my neighborhood knowing. All I needed to hear was the sound of the engine which is loud enough.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:12:15 »
The biggest place that I feel loud pipes are a safety benefit to the rider is on the highway where you are in the process of passing someone at a resonable rate of overtake.  In this situation if the driver is oblivious to his surroundings then the sound will alert the driver that you are there. 

I have had this happen to me on early morning drives to work with an hour drive time down the interstate. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:21:11 »
is it really true some bike company copyrighted the noise their bikes make?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:25:48 »

Some tried to.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:27:43 »

Some tried to.

Keyword "tried"?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 19:12:31 »
The biggest place that I feel loud pipes are a safety benefit to the rider is on the highway where you are in the process of passing someone at a resonable rate of overtake.  In this situation if the driver is oblivious to his surroundings then the sound will alert the driver that you are there. 

I have had this happen to me on early morning drives to work with an hour drive time down the interstate.

The driver won't hear you any better as you are approaching him. the majority of the sound (unless your exhaust system is not properly installed) will come out the back of the bike. There is a reason why they place the horn on the front of the motorcycle rather than the back.

It really doesn't matter what the other driver thinks or sees, you should never pass another driver in a situation where you have no exists or alternate approaches. You're supposed to drive defensively, not expect others to be aware of you or be in a situation where others have to be aware of you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 19:31:50 »

The driver won't hear you any better as you are approaching him. the majority of the sound (unless your exhaust system is not properly installed) will come out the back of the bike. There is a reason why they place the horn on the front of the motorcycle rather than the back.

It really doesn't matter what the other driver thinks or sees, you should never pass another driver in a situation where you have no exists or alternate approaches. You're supposed to drive defensively, not expect others to be aware of you or be in a situation where others have to be aware of you.

So a motorcycle rider should never pass a car, ever?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:05:32 »

A motorcyclist should only pass a car when there is a dashed line on his/her side of the road, signifying that it is a legal passing zone.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 04:17:24 »

You should only pass a car when you're in a situation where it doesn't matter how alert the driver is. 
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 04:22:13 »
I don't get how people can enjoy such loud contraptions.
They rattle my brains in the split second it takes them to go past me.

How can a person want that all the time?  :confused:
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline gfunk

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:27:27 »
I don't get how people can enjoy such loud contraptions.
They rattle my brains in the split second it takes them to go past me.

How can a person want that all the time?  :confused:

Have you ever riden a sportbike before?  It might change your perspective....

Here is one of my girls, she certainly qualifies in the "loud" category

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:05:59 »

You should only pass a car when you're in a situation where it doesn't matter how alert the driver is.

I was speaking of driving down a 4 lane divided highway.  Doesn't matter, if you pass someone you will be in their blind spot at some point in time.  This is where the "loud pipes" come in.  Yes most of the sound is directed toward the rear of the bike but with very very few exceptions, all sound emitters emit a sound in all directions.  Yes it can be at a lower volume in some directions, buy by the logic you stated earlier, you should never hear the exhaust if the bike is pointing directly at you.   For roughly 4 years I drove an hour each way to work.  There were many times that the sudden appearance of a quiet bike in my blind spot in my peripheral vision was much more startling than one with loud pipes where I can hear it while it is still in my rear view mirror.  That said I much prefer the loud bikes to the quiet ones.  On the same not I actually feel that hybrids operating in all electric mode in town and full electric cars are a bit of a danger to pedestrians and bicyclists in town especially when said cars are pulling out of tight alley ways where the driver can't see down the sidewalk/street until they are 50%+ out of said alley.

Now loud bikes can be driven in town with minimal sound by not ripping into the throttle and keeping the RPM's down.  This goes for any performance internal combustion engine.  The only time they get on my nerves is when they wake up my little ones (5 year old son and 18 month old daughter).

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:47:28 »

I was speaking of driving down a 4 lane divided highway.  Doesn't matter, if you pass someone you will be in their blind spot at some point in time.  This is where the "loud pipes" come in.  Yes most of the sound is directed toward the rear of the bike but with very very few exceptions, all sound emitters emit a sound in all directions.

You should never depend on other drivers to make your driving experience safer. Again, as I said before you should never put yourself in a situation where you pass another driver and you are dependent on how alert the driver is regardless if you're in a car or not. This is basic stuff they teach you in your MSF course. Always have an escape route, don't depend on others.

Yes it can be at a lower volume in some directions, buy by the logic you stated earlier, you should never hear the exhaust if the bike is pointing directly at you.   For roughly 4 years I drove an hour each way to work.  There were many times that the sudden appearance of a quiet bike in my blind spot in my peripheral vision was much more startling than one with loud pipes where I can hear it while it is still in my rear view mirror.  That said I much prefer the loud bikes to the quiet ones.

Of course you will going to hear the noise, your engine's noise will change and be louder because of the pipes, and you will be slightly louder in general. That doesn't change the fact that your perceived noise is much lower than you think and the effect on other drivers in a positive way is negligible, you're also much closer to the bike itself.

There are so many elements (wind, the car's noise reduction, the sound of the car itself, music, etc) going against you that the marginal increase in sound coming out of the front of your bike is not a factor.

I don't have any issue with people who like loud bikes and cars, but I just take issue with the "loud pipes save lives" pseudoscience that people try to justify them.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:40:20 »
I put on music on my phone when I'm biking across town. It helps a lot when I'm passing the motorists.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:48:03 »
I take it you must ride a silent bike. A pedal-powered unit, perhaps?

Advertisement

You can get Windows 98
using this one simple trick!

Offline iri

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:54:58 »
okay, now i officially hate loud bikes.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:21:20 »

I was speaking of driving down a 4 lane divided highway.  Doesn't matter, if you pass someone you will be in their blind spot at some point in time.  This is where the "loud pipes" come in.  Yes most of the sound is directed toward the rear of the bike but with very very few exceptions, all sound emitters emit a sound in all directions.

You should never depend on other drivers to make your driving experience safer. Again, as I said before you should never put yourself in a situation where you pass another driver and you are dependent on how alert the driver is regardless if you're in a car or not. This is basic stuff they teach you in your MSF course. Always have an escape route, don't depend on others.

Yes it can be at a lower volume in some directions, buy by the logic you stated earlier, you should never hear the exhaust if the bike is pointing directly at you.   For roughly 4 years I drove an hour each way to work.  There were many times that the sudden appearance of a quiet bike in my blind spot in my peripheral vision was much more startling than one with loud pipes where I can hear it while it is still in my rear view mirror.  That said I much prefer the loud bikes to the quiet ones.

Of course you will going to hear the noise, your engine's noise will change and be louder because of the pipes, and you will be slightly louder in general. That doesn't change the fact that your perceived noise is much lower than you think and the effect on other drivers in a positive way is negligible, you're also much closer to the bike itself.

There are so many elements (wind, the car's noise reduction, the sound of the car itself, music, etc) going against you that the marginal increase in sound coming out of the front of your bike is not a factor.

I don't have any issue with people who like loud bikes and cars, but I just take issue with the "loud pipes save lives" pseudoscience that people try to justify them.

What?

You keep literally saying that a biker should never ever pass a car ever.  I don't understand.

Also, it seems like you think Melvang is the bike rider in his story?  I don't believe that's the case.  I think he was in a car and heard the bikes approaching.

But regardless, here's my input.  I love loud bikes.  I don't ride and never have.  But I don't like driving in my car and being surprised by a quiet bike coming into my blind spot.  I can hear a loud bike approaching, despite your insistence that I can't, and I like that. 

It's a shame that bikers are treated as poorly as they are.  I'm thankful to be from a very bike-friendly state.

I'm curious to hear why some of you guys don't like bikes, other than just "I don't like them".  Is biker culture different in other regions that they have a bad reputation?  Genuinely curious.

Offline iri

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:24:51 »
because when someone on a loud sport bike accelerates passing by you on a narrow street, you just want them to die.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline mauri

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:44:27 »
because when someone on a loud sport bike accelerates passing by you on a narrow street, you just want them to die.

Sport bike sounds are bone inducing, you know nothing Jon Snee
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:29:09 »
I get a lot of road noise at 30 mph, but it depends on my tires.

I don't mind loud bikes on the road. More power to them! I love driving my car, they seem to love riding their bike.

What I don't like is motorcyclist breaking the law, passing illegally or dangerously, being stupid, etc. Just like I don't like bicyclists breaking the law or cars breaking the law. I don't know why everyone seems to think it's okay. People die.

I don't like loud bikes when I'm trying to sleep, but I'm not as bothered by that as some people. I just think it's rude. I know I can drive my car loudly or quietly. Why can't they keep the noise down at night: presumably it's possible on a motorcycle.

But on the road, while being safe: go for it! I like the sound, and the heads-up to look at awesome motor vehicle incoming.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:32:08 »
I get a lot of road noise at 30 mph, but it depends on my tires.

I don't mind loud bikes on the road. More power to them! I love driving my car, they seem to love riding their bike.

What I don't like is motorcyclist breaking the law, passing illegally or dangerously, being stupid, etc. Just like I don't like bicyclists breaking the law or cars breaking the law. I don't know why everyone seems to think it's okay. People die.

I don't like loud bikes when I'm trying to sleep, but I'm not as bothered by that as some people. I just think it's rude. I know I can drive my car loudly or quietly. Why can't they keep the noise down at night: presumably it's possible on a motorcycle.

But on the road, while being safe: go for it! I like the sound, and the heads-up to look at awesome motor vehicle incoming.

This (bold) is my biggest beef with most drivers.  I don't give a crap what you're driving, if you're being incredibly unsafe I've got a problem with you.  Why people always need to stereotype people is beyond me.  I mean sure, it serves its purposes, but for the sake of an intelligent discussion it's silly.  Let's just all agree to be safe and not kill each other, mmkay?

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:49:38 »

What?

You keep literally saying that a biker should never ever pass a car ever.  I don't understand.

Also, it seems like you think Melvang is the bike rider in his story?  I don't believe that's the case.  I think he was in a car and heard the bikes approaching.

But regardless, here's my input.  I love loud bikes.  I don't ride and never have.  But I don't like driving in my car and being surprised by a quiet bike coming into my blind spot.  I can hear a loud bike approaching, despite your insistence that I can't, and I like that. 

It's a shame that bikers are treated as poorly as they are.  I'm thankful to be from a very bike-friendly state.

I'm curious to hear why some of you guys don't like bikes, other than just "I don't like them".  Is biker culture different in other regions that they have a bad reputation?  Genuinely curious.

No I don't keep saying that, you are refusing to read anything I've typed if that's what you think I've been saying. I've been saying you should never put the safety of any of your driving maneuvers in the hands of other drivers. It doesn't have anything to do with being 'bike friendly' (Texas was relatively bike friendly when I was riding there) and more to do with the inherent risks and responsibilities you take as a motorcycle rider.

You should never be in a situation where if you are passing someone and they make a mistake you cannot escape the situation. It's called being a defensive driver, which is something you learn in every basic drivers ed course, and is especially important in motorcycle safety courses.

There are no airbags, crumpling metal frames, seat belts, brake control (barring the new bikes with ABS), or any of the features that exist in cars to protect you in the case of an accident. You are responsible for all your actions and mistakes and must be constantly aware of your surrounding situation. If you are depending on the sound of your bike, which is not easily heard for many reasons, then you are driving unsafely. Period.

If you are passing someone and they decide to go into your lane because they're not aware of you, you should be able to avoid any collisions by going into another lane, slowing down, speeding up, or taking another route. You should never depend on sound as sense to alert people of your presence and to ensure your safety on the road.

Go ask any MSF course instructor if you'd like, you don't need to listen to me. Every instructor will tell you the same thing as I have been telling you. Go ask most manufacturers why they don't lobby for 'safety' features like loud bikes and instead install exhaust systems that are quiet and meet noise regulations.

Basing your safety and the safety of others on anecdotal evidence ("one time I heard a biker approach me") is not something you should be doing when talking about life-and-death situations.

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:51:39 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 04:51:28 »
I wasn't basing my "hearing a bike approaching" on a one time incident.  I am talking about every other day (weather permitting in Iowa) for 4 years.  Not real sure how "biker friendly" my state is aside from me knowing that there isn't any helmet laws for the driver (underage passengers I believe are required to wear a helmet), but I prefer loud bikes purely because I understand that all internal combustion engines are nothing but a border line Rube Goldberg version of an air pump and probably 8/10 times loud pipes are better flowing and hence provide more power.  Same thing in a car, I just don't usually care for the sound of "fart can" exhaust of 4 cylinders.

Also, pretty much every time you pass someone while you are on a bike (unless there is a minimum of a full unoccupied lane between you and the other motorist) you are putting your safety in their hands.  Besides have you ever tried honking your horn at 65+mph on a bike?  I had a friend honk is at 55 on a couple different bikes.  Guess what, I couldn't hear a single one of them from my car.  That is also why I prefer loud pipes.  Instead of hitting the horn, pull in the clutch and pin the throttle wide open.  That will get another drivers attention much quicker than the anemic horns manufacturers put on motorcycles these days.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 04:59:55 »
I live close to a busy road. There are some people in this city who have intentionally loud motorcycles. To be honest I think it is annoying. Just knowing that they do it intentionally and it is in no way necessary for their bikes to function is what annoys me. They probably think they are the coolest people ever, everyone else around them just thinks they are asshats.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 05:18:14 »
Loud bikes are irritating.... There's no need for a road bike to be loud, only race bikes with unregulated silencers have any reason to be loud. A well designed silencer will remain quiet while not reducing power, so power loss is not a valid reason. They don't restrict flow like a catalytic converter on a car and are designed to help provide the specific power and torque curve the bike should have.

That said, I have a relatively loud bike (Moto Guzzi 850T), but I'm using original pipes and it's quite restrained compared to many others. My bike is for me to enjoy riding, not for juvenile showing off.

About being able to notice a bike, most often when I'm driving I don't notice a bike because of its noise. I always see them first (the only time I've ever noticed a bike by its sound first is when stuck in slow moving traffic and a bike screams past between the lanes, which is a bloody stupid thing to do anyway). If you rely on the noise of your bike to attract the attention of drivers, you've got the wrong idea. Car drivers don't rely on the noise of their engines to be noticed when in traffic (at least for safety purposes).

Defensive riding is paramount when you're on a bike. If you're passing without there being a full unoccupied lane, you're not being sensible or responsible, IMHO. Treat your bike as though it's the size of a small car and remember you can't stop as fast as a car can and you'll live longer and irritate less people.

I'm not saying you can't let rip and enjoy the freedom of biking, just use some common sense and respect when doing your thing. Being in control of your own safety when riding is part of the independence of the experience for me. Always expect drivers to do the stupidest thing you can think of, then you won't be surprised when someone someday does just that and you'll be prepared to handle the situation.

Ride safe and enjoy!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 06:47:51 »
No I don't keep saying that, you are refusing to read anything I've typed if that's what you think I've been saying.

Okay, I'm really not trying to pick a fight here.  I'm just trying to understand what you're saying.  How could you ever do anything on the road if you were afraid of another driver being responsible?  Any time I see a car on the freeway, they are at a potential to hit me.  Their not hitting me depends very heavily on their actions.  Now, passing specifically: if you're on a four lane freeway and passing on the left and you find yourself in someones blind spot and they don't see you and start moving over, there isn't a whole lot you can do to get out of the way.  You could hit the brakes, but what if there's someone behind you riding your bumper?  I'm all for defensive driving, but what you're suggesting seems to be akin to "never leave the house because you could get hurt".  Am I missing something?

You should never be in a situation where if you are passing someone and they make a mistake you cannot escape the situation.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this is possible - to never put yourself in that situation.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:38:14 »
No I don't keep saying that, you are refusing to read anything I've typed if that's what you think I've been saying.

Okay, I'm really not trying to pick a fight here.  I'm just trying to understand what you're saying.  How could you ever do anything on the road if you were afraid of another driver being responsible?  Any time I see a car on the freeway, they are at a potential to hit me.  Their not hitting me depends very heavily on their actions.  Now, passing specifically: if you're on a four lane freeway and passing on the left and you find yourself in someones blind spot and they don't see you and start moving over, there isn't a whole lot you can do to get out of the way.  You could hit the brakes, but what if there's someone behind you riding your bumper?  I'm all for defensive driving, but what you're suggesting seems to be akin to "never leave the house because you could get hurt".  Am I missing something?

Of course there are risks taken when you decide to ride or drive, that's a given. The problem is when you as a driver/rider start to depend or expect actions out of other drivers. Riding/Driving is one of the most dangerous things most people do in their lives so it's not something that should be taken lightly. Yes you should be constantly looking around you, watching out for other drivers and assessing what possible exits you can take in any given situation.

If you're not prepared to do so, then I would agree with never leaving the house. Maybe go use public transportation as a possible alternative, because you're putting yourself in a lot more danger than you need to be.

You should never be in a situation where if you are passing someone and they make a mistake you cannot escape the situation.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this is possible - to never put yourself in that situation.

It is very possible. Whether or not we take the proper precautions due to being tired, being in a hurry, or any other factor is another story altogether. No one is a perfect driver. Because of that reason you should always strive to improve your driving and put yourself in a situation where you are not dependent on others for your safety, especially on the road.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:39:46 »
We use to make our bikes loud by placing a playing card in the spokes. Oh yeah, we'd terrorize the neighborhood.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:46:55 »
We use to make our bikes loud by placing a playing card in the spokes. Oh yeah, we'd terrorize the neighborhood.

:thumb:
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:05:32 »
Now that's progress!