Author Topic: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s (done)  (Read 18442 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:35:31 »
I'm trying to remember how I got into mechanical keyboards.  I think it was seeing some discussions about them while on /r/buildapc then checking out /r/mechanicalkeyboards.  Shortly after, I got my first, a Das Keyboard.  I soon realized that Browns weren't for me and I got a QFR with Blacks that I quickly modded, then a broken and dirt cheap RK9000 that I fixed and modded (and is now my daily driver at work). 

After that, I started checking out some of the forums and getting into it more.  I discovered the CMYK GB Ivan was running and joined.  Almost immediately I started sharing different experiments and projects, like my first pitiful attempt at casting and my RK-9000 refurb.  This continued to evolve, I got tired of the negativity on reddit, and here I am, loving the community and the new things that are coming out of it.  I've been here a year and six months and I'm already looking at running my second group buy and seeing what other new experiments to share with the community.

And thanks for such an awesome giveaway.  I've been trying to collect at least one cap in each style from all the artisan cap makers and it would be awesome to have an original Bro in the stable.

Offline rouxsparrow

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 12:46:22 »
I'm not good at english too, so it wont be a long story ^^. I will be honest with you. This account was created about 1 hours ago and I just bought my first mechkeyboard today. It's a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i..I love it so much. It's a first Rapid-i in my country (Viet Nam). I know it is random but i hoping your giveaway keycap is the first custom keycap on my keyboard ^^

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 09:55:24 »
Thanks for doing the giveaway leesofi. You played a part into me getting addicted to this hobby :p

I got into mechanical keyboards in 2011 when I researched via geekhack and eventually purchased a Steelseries 7G keyboard with MX Blacks. I loved that keyboard and gamed on it all the time. In 2012 the keycaps started to wear down so I looked into where I could purchase replacements. I was led back to geekhack where instead of lurking I made an account. Eventually I purchased some white engraved keycaps and a KBT Pure from Qtan and then I was hooked. My first keyboard project was pretty stupid, and I used a mechanical pencil to fill in the engraving on the white keys so I could still read the legends. Over time I learned more and after seeing leesofi's amazing Korean keyboards I had to have one. The search began, I started to learn soldering in preparation to build a custom, ran a group buy for lambda keycaps from QWERkeys,  and the rest is history.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline mystalexx

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:58:08 »
Wow, this is really generous of you!

It all started 3 months ago when I visited my friend's place and used her Cherry Blue Rosewill keyboard to check into my flight. I loved the clickity clack and I've been thinking about getting one ever since. Two days ago, I stumbled upon r/mechanicalkeyboards, and browsed the subreddit for a few hours, thinking about Filcos, CM QFR, before purchasing a Poker 2. Now I've been browsing GH learning all about PCBs, custom keycaps, Brobots, and looking into various group buys. Super psyched and loving this community so far!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 21:56:37 »
So generous of you, leesofi.  Thanks for doing this.  :)

I got into mechanical keyboards when I built my most recent computer in fall 2012.  I decided to start nice and safe with a WASD V1 (which I rarely photograph, otherwise I'd link a photo) with MX Browns.  The compromise switch.  Well, I immediately fell in love with this whole idea of "mechanical keyboards".  I needed more.  I needed something new!  I discovered geekhack shortly after, and decided to join the LZ-GH group buy.  The rest is, as they say, history.  I fell harder into this rabbit hole than I ever thought I could.  I've made friends, met up with people, and had some crazy times on here.  Much drama has ensued.  Some of it wasn't so fun, but it is what it is.  I love this place and this hobby.

Anyway, enough rambling reminiscing.  Once again, thanks for the giveaway!  I'm sure these will find a lovely home.  :)  I remember my first time seeing V1 BBs was at the MN meetup in 2013 when I met GupGup.  He was obsessed with the things.   :))   I immediately thought to myself, "Dang, these are sweet, but I can't afford to get addicted to novelty caps!"  And now here I am.....

Offline iapache

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:15:23 »
Wow man, this is very nice of you! Well a few months ago I started looking into new keyboards. I had to replace my apple aluminum keyboard soon. Searched for days trying to find the right keyboard. I found out about geekhack from my random google searches and learned so much information about mechanical keyboards (Which I never really knew much about before. The very next day I ordered a Poker II and have been happy with it ever since. I'd like to get more keyboards and keycaps shortly after using this board. I can finally understand why everyone likes mechs and can definitely consider it a hobby of mine now.

Again thanks for your generousity!

Poker II

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:44:04 »
(Re-read the OP and modified my horribly long post)

Well this is a pretty incredible giveaway. My story isn't very interesting, but you got to be in it to win it!

I first got into mechanical keyboards when I built my first proper PC when I got back from Afghanistan in 2011. I bought myself a Black Widow because I didn't know any better. It was clicky as all hell, and I loved it. People thought I was mad for spending so much on a board, but I thought it was so much better than anything I had typed on before, and I wanted more.

I discovered /r/Mechanicalkeyboards and my real journey began. I saw KCs and KMACs, Decks and Das, Coolermasters and Corsairs, and I knew I had to get another mech. I wanted different everything. I got less keys, more lights, and spent less money - What's not to like? I bought a Keycool84 with Browns and loved it even more than my BW. I trawled through the reddit threads and tried to recommend both KCs and MX Browns to everybody I could. That's when I thought I had a REAL mech, as there was so much hate for Razer products, and mine was a bit temperamental.

If I was to get my hands on a V1... Wow. I would probably consider myself as being part of history really. One of those guys who has a Bro. A V1. I would feel like I really fitted in, and I would finally be a part of that exclusive club. It would be my go to karma whoring device on reddit, and probably something I would just end up playing with a lot on whatever keyboard it goes on (probably my KC84) and unintentionally closing many programs.

I have rambled. A lot. But a Bro Bot is one of my goals pretty much, and I would absolutely love to have even one of those amazing looking caps you are giving away.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:46:37 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Lingj

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:17:31 »
Lets see, I think I bought my first mechanical keyboard which was a Das Keyboard when I built my first computer a couple years ago and was looking for a decent keyboard. Fast forward to maybe two months ago, I came across the Noctilucous Evangelion keyset from feng (which I bought) and was introduced to the geekhack community. Didn't even know there was a community out there like this and was hooked. And here I am now, looking for any sort of artisan caps that I would want to have.

Thanks for doing the giveaway.

Offline xCoolBeans

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:21:53 »
I started researching keyboards about a year ago and recently got my first keyboard and I am in love (Shine 3 browns magenta backlighting)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:24:45 »

I got into mechanical keyboards when I built my most recent computer in fall 2012.  I decided to start nice and safe with a WASD V1 (which I rarely photograph, otherwise I'd link a photo) with MX Browns.  The compromise switch.  Well, I immediately fell in love with this whole idea of "mechanical keyboards".  I needed more.  I needed something new!  I discovered geekhack shortly after, and decided to join the LZ-GH group buy.  The rest is, as they say, history.  I fell harder into this rabbit hole than I ever thought I could.  I've made friends, met up with people, and had some crazy times on here.  Much drama has ensued.  Some of it wasn't so fun, but it is what it is.  I love this place and this hobby.

Anyway, enough rambling reminiscing.  Once again, thanks for the giveaway!  I'm sure these will find a lovely home.  :)  I remember my first time seeing V1 BBs was at the MN meetup in 2013 when I met GupGup.  He was obsessed with the things.   :))   I immediately thought to myself, "Dang, these are sweet, but I can't afford to get addicted to novelty caps!"  And now here I am.....

Ohh mannn I wish we had a MN meet and gupgup came with v1s!!!!!!!!!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:34:38 »

GupGup hails from SD, so I'm not sure if he would have been able to make it again.  It was mostly chance that he came out in 2013 (his dad was in the area for business, IIRC).

That, and he kind of ditched the keyboard hobby in mid summer 2013.  :(  Which subsequently left the CCnG GB without an organizer.  Which is why a sizeable portion of the forum isn't a huge fan of him.  But that's getting into other stuff that isn't the topic at hand here.   :p

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:35:55 »

GupGup hails from SD, so I'm not sure if he would have been able to make it again.  It was mostly chance that he came out in 2013 (his dad was in the area for business, IIRC).

That, and he kind of ditched the keyboard hobby in mid summer 2013.  :(  Which subsequently left the CCnG GB without an organizer.  Which is why a sizeable portion of the forum isn't a huge fan of him.  But that's getting into other stuff that isn't the topic at hand here.   :p

I will PM you a reply. Back to topic. V1s are best, good luck everyone! :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:38:42 »

Sorry to quote myself here, but I found a picture of my WASD V1!  From the MN meetup referenced above.  :)

Offline Darwin

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:19:02 »
Ok, let's do this.

My first mechanical keyboard was a gift from a friend.. It was around the year 2000 and he gave me this old Cherry G80-1000 (year 1984), because he did not need it anymore... He did say it was special, but it was just a keyboard to me.. I was young, stupid, and didn't even know it was a mechanical board.. I just didn't care... The main reason he gave it to me was because back then we were playing this game called Mortal Combat and most keyboards had a problem with it (6 key rollover), since two players were pressing multiple keys at the same time......... Anyways, I did use it until recently when I officially became a keyboard geek and I switched it with a brand new ducky premier..  :p

Cheers...

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:16:56 »
Awesome giveaway.

My story begins when I didn't like the quality of my Razer keyboard that was mechanical. After trying a mechanical board however, every new keyboard I bought just didn't suffice. This brought me to Google searching "best mechanical keyboards".

The rest is history.

This was a while ago so BBs weren't around and Clacks were all the buzz. I could never get in sales and the prices on the Classfields were insane. So naturally I wanted one! It wasn't until almost 2 years later I was able to get one but GH introduced me to other amazing things that held me over. Everything from Korean customs, rare key cap sets, PBT and much much more.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:13:01 »
Thanks leesofi for the chance at those V1s, they look phenomenal.

I got into mechanical keyboards and found this site after being a member of r/buildapc and saw that both this site and r/mechanicalkeyboards were recommended to one of the builders. I started browsing here and started talking to friends who used mechanical keyboards, one had an off brand and the other a filco. I really enjoyed the sound and the feeling of the keyboard coming from a scissor switch keyboard on my laptop. I became serious about purchasing a board after the constant breaking off of my keycaps. After much deliberation, I purchased a WASD V2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns. I absolutely love it and typing on it is extremely satisfying. I love the atmosphere here and have spent entirely too much money on keycap sets and artisan keys.

I don't see myself stopping anytime soon and look forward to purchasing a topre board in the future.

Offline NumberTwoinQQ

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:34:11 »
Hello! first of all, thanks for the give-away.

I first came to geekhack not too long ago.  I had bought my first ducky shine 3 and was looking into a filco.  I had questions on where to buy one and when I finally ordered one, I looked into custom painting it.  Big thanks and shout outs to photoelectric for helping me with my first paintjob!

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:52:18 »
I started learning about infosec in high-school and i was a self-styled hacker and social engineer. I knew I was totally badass, so I dyed my buckling-spring keycaps a dark color and showed-off how i touch-typed, thinking I was an original otaku.

Didn't buy any other mechanical keyboards for years (because mine was so durable!).

When I started looking for a new keyboard more recently, I came across a BroBot v1 (just BroBot at the time) for sale and was blown away. I immediately realized that my keyboard modding back in the day was nothing compared to the creativity of the 'keyboard community' and was instantly hooked!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline kthien

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 14:56:08 »
Thanks for doing this. Been lurking for over a year finally decided to sign up. Inherited a Ducky shine 1 last year. Prior to this I had always thought keyboard enthusiasts only used them as they had an attractive feeling and satisfaction from typing but I have found that it really helps with my arthritis and the pain I have from prolonged periods of typing. I can finally type out long reports/assignments and I regret not getting one earlier when I had known of them for about ~4 years already!

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 15:02:42 »
It all started when I wanted my first "Gaming" keyboard and I heard that is when I heard of mechanical keyboards. Long after that I was looking into new keyboards and I found this site. I have been lurking for a while and decided to create an account the other day. I recently just ordered a Poker II and can't wait for it to get here.

I'd be super happy to win one of these key caps. Thanks for doing the giveaway!

Poker II

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 18:39:47 »
My mechanical keyboard obsession began when several keys on my Dell laptop's keyboard began to stop registering or get stuck down.  I found this insanely annoying, so I began looking for a new keyboard.  I had heard great reviews about these things called "mechanical keyboards" and decided to purchase one.  I started with a few Google searches, then fell upon this forum.  I thought that the community was very friendly and helpful, but I did not have anything to contribute, so I just lurked.  You guys finally convinced me to buy a 1994 IBM Model M, and I couldn't be happier with it!  However, I found that it was a bit too loud for use in the classroom (read: my teachers and classmates wanted to beat me upside the head with my five-pound machine gun), so I picked up a CODE keyboard with Cherry MX Clears, which I also love and is acceptable for use in public.  :p  Now, there's no way I could go back to non-mechanical keyboards and I've spent many hours on keyboard-related tasks.  It's an addiction, but the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem, right?   ;D

I just created my account today, as I needed to use the forum's search feature, but I plan to contribute as much as possible since I'm sure that my friends and family are tired of hearing me talk about mechanical keyboards and I've run out of threads on the mechanical keyboards subreddit.  I would like to thank everyone on GeekHack for greatly enhancing my computing life, and you, leesofi, for putting on this amazing giveaway for these beautiful keycaps!  I've been looking for some novelty keycaps, and I'm currently trying not to get drool on my keys...

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:44:49 »
My start for mechanical keyboards began in a gaming forum, where there was a thread about mechanical keyboards with members raving about the feel of Cherry switches and how life altering they were.  I was quite intrigued and started to do some research and ask questions in the thread.  GH member Belfong is also a member on that forum, and he happily answered all my questions and was very encouraging about the whole thing.

Soon after that, I purchased my first mechanical keyboard, a WASD v2 with Cherry Browns, and really loved it.  Belfong then suggested that I look into getting different keysets, and he told me about the Round 5 keyset group buy being run by 7bit.  I was a bit hesitant after already just dropping a lot of money on an expensive keyboard, especially since these keysets were going to cost as much as the keyboard itself.  But those sphericals looked so good, so I went ahead and put in an order, thinking that ok, I'll buy these caps and my new fancy keyboard setup will be complete.

Soon after that, Belfong tells me about the upcoming BroBot V2 sale over here on GH, and says I gotta get in for that.  People really go crazy over these small custom caps?  No way.  Well, I ended up joining GH and participating in the V2 sale (and failing miserably, but I did get my first V2 later on from a generous Broless dibs from Bro), and it was all quickly downhill from there. 

On GH and from further discussions with Belfong, I soon learned about things like 60% boards (Poker: bought), Topre (HHKB: bought), and ugh, Clacks (way too many).  And in a relatively short time I had more keyboards, keysets, and artisan caps than I know what to do with.  But it's so much fun!  And I've really met some great people here, and Belfong and I still talk all the time about our obsession with keyboards and caps.  I try justify all of this madness by telling myself these are useful since I use keyboards all day and night for both work and home.  So I'm not crazy.  Right, guys?

tl;dr:  I blame Belfong for getting me into mech keyboards.

Thanks leesofi for the great giveaway!  Those V1 colors look beautiful.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:55:29 »
For the pain I caused naasfu, if I was selected by leesofi to win a V1, I will pass it to him as a form of repentance! Ha ha ...

But you gotta admit, naasfu, it is a fun journey. Now if only we can talk more about the games where the keyboard is supposed to be used for! My wasd and arrow blanks from noisy turtle is very underutilise now!

Edit to say that I think it was naasfu that got me hooked on Clacks! What goes around comes around :P :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:59:09 by Belfong »

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:03:52 »
But you gotta admit, naasfu, it is a fun journey. Now if only we can talk more about the games where the keyboard is supposed to be used for! My wasd and arrow blanks from noisy turtle is very underutilise now!

Haha, I don't play games anymore since I spend most of my free time trolling GH now.  But yes, we should play more games. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:25:51 »
For the pain I caused naasfu, if I was selected by leesofi to win a V1, I will pass it to him as a form of repentance! Ha ha ...

If anyone on GH has a severe deficit of artisan caps, it's naasfu.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:31:05 »

Dat sarcasm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:31:11 »

Where "a severe deficit" should be read as "far too many for any one single sane person" ;) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:32:48 »
Not a crazy story, but I started making my own money and also loved gaming.  My work was based around computers so I decided to do some research and get a good keyboard.  I learned about mechanical keyboards and lurked this forum for a couple years.  I started making more money but also had to move as a result.  My job now is in a very boring location...so I decided to buy more keyboards and learn how to mod.

Fell in love with every switch and now I just want to share our hobby with anyone who wants to listen :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline intelli78

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:35:45 »
Thanks for the giveaway! I was roaming CES 2011 and I happened upon the Das Keyboard booth. Tried one with MX Blues and my mind exploded. Saw the blank version and my mind imploded. Purchased one soon after that, and had it for a while. Last year I realized there were better boards to be had, and the rest is history!
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:40:23 »
My job is so ****ing unbelievable.

I'll try to sum it up by first telling you about the folks I work with:
First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.

But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the ****ing stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big ****ing dog to work. Every ****ing day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single ****ing day.

Anyway, I drive these ****tards around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****. And that's why I switched to mechanical keyboards.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:43:33 »
A very generous giveaway!

A few years ago a real life friend of mine that you all know (Halverson) took up a very strange hobby. Keyboards. I admit, I thought it was a little silly. From time to time he would mention keycaps, switches or that he had acquired yet another new keyboard. Now I thought it was more than a little silly. I thought it was crazy!! One computer and multiple keyboards? Madness I thought!! But he was persistent. He kept telling me more and more about them until I finally gave in and figured I should try one out for myself. I purchased a Race with black switches. Moments after the order had been made online, I decided it would be a good idea to also join the keyboard forum he used. Geekhack. From that point on I would be known simply as YoungMichael, which oddly enough is what Halverson and I have both been calling each other for years, even prior to my time on Geekhack. The rest is history. Now I'm one of those "Halversons" with multiple boards talking way too much about them with people like the old me. OldMichael seems a fitting name.

Well, that's my story.

Cheers

-YM88
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Belfong

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:43:35 »

First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.

But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the ****ing stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big ****ing dog to work. Every ****ing day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single ****ing day.

Anyway, I drive these ****tards around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****. And that's why I switched to mechanical keyboards.
I don't get it. Scooby Doo and mechanical keyboards?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:45:41 »

Scooby Who?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:46:07 »

It is an old copypasta, but he still had me until the end..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:49:12 »
I think I am dense. I am not sure the relation between noisy's story and this contest.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:49:44 »

Pure gold, thank you for that noisy!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 01:14:26 »

HHAAH that was great man..  :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:28:00 »

A few years ago a real life friend of mine that you all know (Halverson) took up a very strange hobby. Keyboards. I admit, I thought it was a little silly. From time to time he would mention keycaps, switches or that he had acquired yet another new keyboard. Now I thought it was more than a little silly. I thought it was crazy!! One computer and multiple keyboards? Madness I thought!! But he was persistent. He kept telling me more and more about them until I finally gave in and figured I should try one out for myself. I purchased a Race with black switches. Moments after the order had been made online, I decided it would be a good idea to also join the keyboard forum he used. Geekhack. From that point on I would be known simply as YoungMichael, which oddly enough is what Halverson and I have both been calling each other for years, even prior to my time on Geekhack. The rest is history. Now I'm one of those "Halversons" with multiple boards talking way too much about them with people like the old me. OldMichael seems a fitting name.

Well, that's my story.

Cheers

-YM88

I already knew most of this, but it's still fun to read.  :)  I'm glad Halverson managed to convince you to join the hobby!  Although I'm sure your wallet is not so happy.   :rolleyes: :))

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:32:02 »

Well, that's my story.

Cheers

-YM88

I already knew most of this, but it's still fun to read.  :)  I'm glad Halverson managed to convince you to join the hobby!  Although I'm sure your wallet is not so happy.   :rolleyes: :))
I haven't bought anything except for a few bro bots it's a looong time now. I had to stop. This hobby and a few vehicle repairs literally emptied all my accounts haha.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:29:10 »
Thank you for doing this giveaway, really generous!

I bought a Ducky G2Pro and tried to learn to touch type on it. Got so frustrated with the standard layouts that I designed and built my own custom ergonomic board using parts of the Ducky  :D  :thumb:
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Corey

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:13:07 »
Hi leesofi, thank you for the opportunity to win some wonderful novelty key caps. Well my obsession is very fresh, I followed my friends in to the mechanical keyboards after having just purchased a gaming PC. We all moved in together to flat this year and we have a dedicated computer room, so the chatter of click clacks filled the room. I wanted to add to that noise with a keyboard of my own, so I purchased a Ducky Shine 3. This was just the beginning, as I began to learn of the plethora of customization options available, so after scouring the internet of many sites full of key caps, I settled on some Vortex PBT doubleshot caps that have just recently arrived in the mail. I'm from New Zealand so the keyboard culture is lacking, so I turn to the internet to connect with people who also share my new found love of keyboards. Now that I have a nice new set of caps, I would love just one novelty cap to set it off, my PC case is a BitFenix Prodigy in a beautiful orange, and my key cap set is also in orange so if the stars align and I do indeed win some key caps, you can be sure I'll be hoping for that orange cap.

Again, thank you for this opportunity, I know that who ever wins the keys will be ecstatic. Good luck to all!

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:36:19 »
I'm new, so my story is still fresh. I first came to geekhack after I learned about Brobots. Then I spent the next few months lurking because I was too busy with my last few months in college (I had to build a C compiler, and it was really hard). After I graduated, I had more free time and started trying harder to get involved with the community. I soon realized Keycon 2014 was close to me and felt really lucky for the opportunity to meet geekhackers in real life. I went, and it was the best. I learned so much, and everyone is so smart and helpful and interesting. There are a lot of good people in GH, and I am happy that I feel that way. I am excited to grow with this community.

I went not really knowing what to expect (and a bit intimidated), and left more interested in building/modifying keyboards. Being inspired feels great!

Thanks for giving me a reason to be so sentimental about my weekend at Keycon!
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:04:18 »
I'm new, so my story is still fresh. I first came to geekhack after I learned about Brobots. Then I spent the next few months lurking because I was too busy with my last few months in college (I had to build a C compiler, and it was really hard). After I graduated, I had more free time and started trying harder to get involved with the community. I soon realized Keycon 2014 was close to me and felt really lucky for the opportunity to meet geekhackers in real life. I went, and it was the best. I learned so much, and everyone is so smart and helpful and interesting. There are a lot of good people in GH, and I am happy that I feel that way. I am excited to grow with this community.

I went not really knowing what to expect (and a bit intimidated), and left more interested in building/modifying keyboards. Being inspired feels great!

Thanks for giving me a reason to be so sentimental about my weekend at Keycon!

And it was great to meet you at KeyCon!  Seeing all those cool projects is indeed quite inspiring, so I agree with your sentiments there.

Hope you're practicing Kendama!   ;)

Offline xqz

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:39:24 »
Pretty new to the scene. I believe I knew about GH a while back, but one day I had a hunch that I might be able to find a Model M in my basement from an older computer. I was wonderfully surprised and found a practically mint condition Model M. 1982 from what I recall, I will double check when I am home.

Soon after I was lost in the chase for the perfect keyboard. Bought a Leopold with browns on local classifieds but soon after I was hunting for Clears because I loved the heavy keys on the Model M so much.

I ended up getting an Ergodox with Clears which is my daily driver at work, a Topre board Leopold FC660C to see what all the fuss was about, Penumbra keycap set, ABS doubleshots, PBT engraved, and now I have a Poker II with Clears on its way too. What have I done.

You're a great man for giving away these keycaps, whether or not I win this or not. Kind of afraid it will awaken something in me if I do win or get one eventually..

Offline grtan

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:53:56 »
I got my lz ce with gmk olivetti a few days ago. It's my first keyboard, but I might have started long time ago.

I registered geekhack sometime ago just to get my bf the cmyw set (later found out that he has gotten one himself). I have witnessed how a man started off with a poker, till having 4 customs today. How a man tried cut all his expenses to save money for the beautiful keyboards and keycaps. How he nearly gave up, selling off the keycaps/keyboards he loved, to being able to financially sustain this hobby today.

It is wonderful for me to be able to go through all these with someone I love. On the other hand, he made me to lube most of the switches for my lz ce!  :mad:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:03:17 »
2 more dayssss, so much excitement! So much Geekhack love here!  :thumb:

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:05:45 »
My story is short and simple. I always knew of and owned mechanical keyboards (my dad owning couple of model M's) and I was avoiding rubberdomes as much as I can, but never knew there exists a whole community around it. I first heard of artisan caps through reddit and they were binge caps. Shortly after I decided to check what this site that Ripster is *****ing about this whole time is about, and after that I never looked back. I've never owned any kind of Bro cap so crossing my fingers for this one, thanks! :)
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Zephitos

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:18:28 »
two years ago,  I don't know why I have interest about keyboard.  hm.. perhaps  I got many typing homeworks such as MCU class digital design class.

I saw fleamarket every day, every hour, every minute haha.
saw many factory keyboards, awesome keycaps such as S O W A R E
Seniors say it it Just thin ABS keycaps. but most of the newbies have same as my mind.

It is awesome pretty keycaps!!!

but now and then, it is very rare caps.
find soware , wanna soware I can't take soware
but I find cheap used keyboard. fc300r mx red my first mechanical keyboard.
oh my god it is new world!!
At this time. just satisfy my keyboard
I have no money so can't take other keyboards. and forget about mechanical keyboard world

and now, one more find keyboard forum, just wanna pretty keycaps for example valentine , raindrop
then one day I type with lubed 55g mx black, ohoh it is true. it is real mechanical!!!!
I know why many mania like spring changed black mx.

after this time, I dive into custom keyboard world.
am attracted by wonderful korean custom cases(UNICORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!) , pretty keycap, PBT keycap's touch feeling.

now I have two brobot1. I don't have collecting scheme like you, but I wanna one more transaprent brobot1.
and equip scroll lock, print screen, system request.

thank you.
Inventory
22mini brown, twosome mini, fc300r mx red,

WTB/WTS : [WTB] IMSTO PBT R2

To do
Make LZ's B series, LZ-FE,
-----------------------------------------------------------
And Fuxxing  DrugER

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:33:45 »
Anyeong! I took some Korean in High school :)

Anyways onto my story. Well my story of getting my first mechanical is kind of silly, and you're bound to laugh at me at the end of this. It all started when one of my friends bought a brand new Razer Blackwidow 2012. I actually don't really like Razer brand that much but the clicky keys it had just made me want one. The LED's on it look cool too. So this made me set out to find out as much as I could about Mechanical Keyboards. At the time I was in High School, and I didn't have a job but I only had some money I had been saving for awhile. I kept trying to look for the cheapest and nicest looking keyboard but it was really hard to find something like that. Eventually, NCIX.com ended up having a sale for a Ducky Shine Zero with Orange LED's and MX Blues. I was so excited but the price of it was around $115. Since I had never really bought a keyboard before the price seemed so crazy since all I ever really bought was cheap 15 dollar keyboards from Dell or something. Anyways, it took me hours and hours of arguing with myself in my head about whether or not I should buy my first keyboard, I kept telling myself "It's way too much money, If mom finds out I spent this much money on a keyboard she will freak out." but at the same time I kept telling myself "but it's so cool looking, and if I buy it I'll never have to buy another keyboard ever again!" I'm sure you know what I did by now, I bought the keyboard. When it arrived in the mail I was so happy and excited that I just took it out of the box and started typing without even plugging it in. A few hours later, I felt a feeling of regret sink in because when I thought about it... I just spent $100+ dollars on a keyboard... I even made a post about how sad and happy I felt at the same time on Reddit.

And now I'm here. I sold the Ducky and bought a Quickfire TK, and i'm looking to find another keyboard. I'm in college now and I definitely don't regret switching over to Mechanical Keyboards :)

kekekekkeke

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:08:43 »
It's technically the 16th right now in Korea. Wonder when he'll do the drawing
I love Elzy