Author Topic: DUCK 75% Keyboard - Discussion  (Read 41147 times)

Offline elton5354

DUCK 75% Keyboard - Discussion
« on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:35:15 »
Hi there,

TrueCustom and DUCK is planning on designing a new 75% keyboard.  They would like geekhack's input on a new design or if you would rather they keep their current design like Lightsaver V2, Orion, etc..

I was thinking maybe a geekhack edition with GH SE CNC'd onto the case such as the LZ-GH keyboard. An option of ALPs and MX PCB is a plus as well. More choices the better, right?

Well, please share your ideas here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please fill in the form if you are interested in this Octagon 75% keyboard.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zj9DyHz4yB0Aksdj6ce6prEuy8RkhS4GFH2svOl1AKw/viewform
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 18:45:06 by elton5354 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: DUCK 75% Keyboard - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:39:56 »
Hi there,

TrueCustom and DUCK is planning on designing a new 75% keyboard.  They would like geekhack's input on a new design or if you would rather they keep their current design like Lightsaver V2, Orion, etc..

I was thinking maybe a geekhack edition with GH SE CNC'd onto the case such as the LZ-GH keyboard. An option of ALPs and MX PCB is a plus as well. More choices the better, right?

I'd probably be down for an alps 75%. An SE version would just be a plus =)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:40:06 »
I was very close to picking up a Keycool 84 but instead got a Poker II. I would like to see a set up like the Keycool 84 it would be...coo...what I would prefer to see. 75% with dedicated arrow keys gets a :thumb: from me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:43:51 »
as long as I have the option for arrow keys im sold
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tbc

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:45:24 »
something thick and heavy.  75% isn't a popular mobile formfactor like 60%,

maybe something less steep than 11 degrees?  without feet so it can be heavier.

front-facing LEDs and a 'breathing' mode please.

maybe brass and/or stainless steel?  not the whole bottom, but a cutout is always purdy,

also, having an acrylic 'light layer' like the orion would be AMAZING.

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:55:16 »
Hi there,

Everyone who posts "alps 75%" should have a requirement to also post the donor board(s) they plan to use.  The variety of cap and stabilizer variations probably don't matter if you're an alps collector, but for the average person who doesn't know a lot it makes it very hard to source parts for an alps board.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:55:43 »
Also, with alps, I'd love the compatibility for rgb leds. SMD or otherwise.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:14:15 »
Hi there,

Everyone who posts "alps 75%" should have a requirement to also post the donor board(s) they plan to use.  The variety of cap and stabilizer variations probably don't matter if you're an alps collector, but for the average person who doesn't know a lot it makes it very hard to source parts for an alps board.

Also interested in alps 75%

Would the caps from http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59916.0 work? The enter and \| will be sourced elsewhere, but this comes with a 1.75x shift which is perfect for 75% alps

Offline cannonking

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:53:55 »
75% is my ideal layout so I'm interested. Ideally I would want an option on the bottom row for 1.25 + 1.25 + 1.25 + 6.x + whatever.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:58:01 »
Hi there,

Also interested in alps 75%

Would the caps from http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59916.0 work? The enter and \| will be sourced elsewhere, but this comes with a 1.75x shift which is perfect for 75% alps

The keyboard would probably be too heavy for you, it has an aluminum case. Isn't that why you're selling your MX Mini?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 20:57:29 »
I'm not a huge fan of 75%, but I AM a huge fan of Duck and would probably be unable to resist.

As far as input goes, I don't feel that I am worthy, nor have the creativity to provide any useful information. I think the Lightsaver bottom LED is extremely cool and can't wait to get my hands on a Viper for that very reason.  That being said, I'll give it a shot.

If it would be possible to have a rectangular cutout across the back where an acrylic piece could be inserted could allow for an under-mounted LED to light up the back would be very, very interesting. Could jack up the production costs through the roof, but all that is above my pay grade. Etch the acrylic insert with Duck75 GH Edition.

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 21:05:44 »

Dell AT101: You can call it ... the Dell Saver :D

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 21:06:43 »

Dell AT101: You can call it ... the Dell Saver :D
no short right shift

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 21:50:42 »
I'd really want to buy a lightsaver. Not sure how I missed the recent buy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 21:52:38 »
something thick and heavy.

And round......

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 23:57:50 »
A 75% user, like myself, can't live without function keys either for work or game.
I use 75% cos safe desk space, a separate numpad I can put anywhere, more ergonomic.
I don't like Race2, have to press 2 buttons for F11 F12.
Hopefully more standard size keycap we can swap more easier.
Aesthetics? I really don't care :D

Offline tbc

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 00:52:56 »
something thick and heavy.

And round......

......feet.  you mean screw on feet right?

not my thing really.

Offline pasph

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 04:57:16 »
Interested in 75% Alps with stabs and bottom row compatible with the Dell or SGI.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 05:31:04 »
I would be down for one, but i'd rather let duck's creativity decide since he has been so on point with all his latest releases.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 05:45:49 »
I've been wanting 75 for so long.  My only desire is a white instead of black

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 07:35:43 »
I like the design of the Duck Mini V1 and V2 case where there are no feet like the KMACs. I'd love to see that case design stay. I also loved the Poker suits cut into the back of the case. It would be great to see the GH SE logo or something else cut like that. I also thought it was clever to have cutouts in the case to allow the LEDs to show through in the Orion. I would like to see that again. And I think if you made the Alps version compatible with the Dell AT101W caps, that would work out nicely. Those boards are easy to find.

I *really* didn't like the riser for the V2 case. Please please please don't have those again.

Think those are all the things I can think of at the moment...I'm very interested in a 75% Alps board :D

My only desire is a white instead of black

Sorry to burst your bubble. If this is going to be an aluminum case like the rest of Duck's boards, you can't get the board anodized in white. You can read why in this post from The_Beast.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:30:25 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:25:11 »
I don't have too many suggestions, but I'd definitely be interested in whatever this discussion leads to.   :thumb:   I love the designs that have come out recently, so I don't think I'd want too many changes.

Sorry to burst your bubble. If this is going to be an aluminum case like the rest of Duck's boards, you can't get the board anodized in white. You can read why in this post from The_Beast.

Wrong link - that points back to this thread.   :))  Yay you fixed it!   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:32:06 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:30:47 »
Fixed my earlier link, oops.

Offline bboyer

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:07:04 »
Since DUCK has always produced such unique boards, they should do something a little different, maybe a 70% board with 1 row taller but just as wide as a 60%. That way you have all your function keys as well as arrows if you want but still keep END/Home/PgUp/PgDn/INS under the function row. I assume most of us who need 75% over 60% is because of the function keys, and this would solve that issue without making it too large.

maybe something like this

instead of the usual 75% width of this
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:10:36 by bboyer »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:35:05 »
personally, i like the 75% form factor due to the fact it slims down on size whilst retaining all the function keys in their "proper" location. e.g. having the 4 arrow keys in the same row just feels off, same as having PgUp next to PgDown instead of above

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:37:12 »

Offline divito

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:17:42 »
Keycool essentially has it almost perfect with the Keycool 84 (in regards to my own personal preference for layout goes).

75% boards, as has been suggested, make the best of minimizing footprint while maintaining "one-key press" functionality of the most-used functions.

Initially, I'd like to see something done in that vein, with custom GH and Duck flair perhaps.

Outside of that, I'd personally want to see something along the lines of a Coolermaster TK (not 75%, but close enough); specifically with key cap replacement in mind.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline elton5354

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:26:33 »
I think it would be really cool if they did something like the Red Scarf II:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.x7UATE&scm=1007.10009.518.0&id=38832140416&pvid=5387a7e0-4d37-411a-b329-3005c91df7dd

Keycool essentially has it almost perfect with the Keycool 84 (in regards to my own personal preference for layout goes).

75% boards, as has been suggested, make the best of minimizing footprint while maintaining "one-key press" functionality of the most-used functions.

Initially, I'd like to see something done in that vein, with custom GH and Duck flair perhaps.

Outside of that, I'd personally want to see something along the lines of a Coolermaster TK (not 75%, but close enough); specifically with key cap replacement in mind.

That has already been done; the Lightsaver V1 and V2

Offline geniekid

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:41:35 »
No input on the layout, but whatever it is I would like the case to be flatter.  11 degree angle is roughly equivalent to a *standard* keyboard with feet.  Flat to 6 degrees with optional feet/riser would be better IMO.

Offline divito

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:00:11 »

It's close, but not completely what I was thinking. Perhaps when I have time I can make a layout.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:00:23 »
I think it would be really cool if they did something like the Red Scarf II:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.x7UATE&scm=1007.10009.518.0&id=38832140416&pvid=5387a7e0-4d37-411a-b329-3005c91df7dd

I realize they are almost the same, but I guess I was mainly talking about eliminating the F-row from the Lightsaver as they did in the Scarf II design.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:40:05 »
I think the most important thing to change is to replace the red desk-facing LEDs on the sides with RGB LEDs. That way the end user won't have to desolder them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:20:58 »
I think the most important thing to change is to replace the red desk-facing LEDs on the sides with RGB LEDs. That way the end user won't have to desolder them.

That's a great idea!

Offline calavera

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:23:49 »
If it supports ALPS (and I'm pretty sure it will) it should be 1.5x mods and 7x space bar layout because there are not a lot of key cap options if you go with 1.25x and 6.75x space bar.

Offline pasph

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 18:04:23 »
Why 6.75x space bar?
It can be 1.25-1-1.25-6.25-1.25-1-1-1-1-1
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 18:14:49 »
It would be really cool if there was a whole row of extra programmable modifiers at the bottom of the keyboard.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 18:29:49 »
I love 75% and I would probably buy a Duck 75.  I was about to design a Race-compatible PCB and stick it in a AboStudio GAC75 case, but this would be better.  I don't like the MX-mini very much but I would use it if I had to.

I don't like the idea of inscribing "GH" anywhere on it.

Offline calavera

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 19:31:30 »
Why 6.75x space bar?

Because I was only talking about ALPS. I haven't seen any alps boards using 6.25 space bars.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 20:05:04 »
I like the design of the Duck Mini V1 and V2 case where there are no feet like the KMACs. I'd love to see that case design stay. I also loved the Poker suits cut into the back of the case. It would be great to see the GH SE logo or something else cut like that. I also thought it was clever to have cutouts in the case to allow the LEDs to show through in the Orion. I would like to see that again. And I think if you made the Alps version compatible with the Dell AT101W caps, that would work out nicely. Those boards are easy to find.

I *really* didn't like the riser for the V2 case. Please please please don't have those again.

Think those are all the things I can think of at the moment...I'm very interested in a 75% Alps board :D

My only desire is a white instead of black

No biggy, as long as it's not black.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 22:35:09 »
I was talking to TC about the logo couple weeks ago about how he can create a limited number of sets of GH LE/SE cases and the rest can be without it.

I'm sure they are reading this as I've forwarded this thread to them :thumb:

Are there RGB SMD LEDs? If there are, that would be nice

Offline adrl

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 23:30:16 »
Would probably buy if it's like the leopold fc600m/c layout.

Offline tbc

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 23:32:40 »
Would probably buy if it's like the leopold fc600m/c layout.

that's a variant of the 65% layout.

different usecases than 75%

Offline pasph

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 04:49:38 »
Why 6.75x space bar?

Because I was only talking about ALPS. I haven't seen any alps boards using 6.25 space bars.

Dell AT101w for ex. or am i wrong?

Offline calavera

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 12:48:54 »
oh my bad. yeah dell 101w. facepalm

Not a big fan of those ****ty caps tho.

Offline pasph

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 18:34:05 »
Yeah they are just "better than nothing"

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 18:42:09 »
Biggest issue for those wanting alps is the 1.75x r shift. If you don't have a source for them, then GL finding one

Offline calavera

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 18:53:02 »
At least there's a work around since the PCB supports both MX and ALPS. Use MX for mods and ALPS for alphas...mix and match.

Offline dante

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 18:53:31 »
^ beat me to it.

How about putting a Cherry switch just on the right shift? :D

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 02:21:31 »
maybe 7075 aluminum instead of 6025?

Offline tbc

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 03:03:35 »
maybe 7075 aluminum instead of 6025?

this