Author Topic: I'm an Introvert, but Hello!  (Read 8260 times)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
I'm an Introvert, but Hello!
« on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:01:15 »
Hello all!

I've been kicking around for a bit now, but I haven't had much to add or contribute, so I've stayed quite. I'm a quiet type, I suppose. But, I thought it would be good for me to venture out into the world and try to be more social. So here I am, being social.

In terms of keyboards, I have two WASD Code Clear boards - one for home and one for work, both full size. I also just picked up a Poker II with blues. That has been a learning experience, since I use delete, insert and arrow keys constantly. I'm always surprised when people say they don't see the need for the insert key - with VMWare it is very useful! Luckily they are all easily accessible, but I'm a touch typist, so training my fingers to go new places is not as easy as I would like. I don't give up easy though.

I'm a pretty technical person - I work in IT by trade. I've long used a buckling spring keyboard (IBM and Unicomp) but it drives everyone around me mad...hence the switch to the Clears. The blues are clicky for sure, but not nearly as bad as the Model M.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and hope that I can contribute in a meaningful way. See you all around.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: I'm an Introvert, but Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:06:16 »
Welcome to GH!

There are many introverts here, you're not alone... see our Myers Briggs personality thread.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:06:40 »
Welcome I'm an introvert to and I like clear switches!

Did your code boards have much ping?

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:19:43 »
Welcome to geekhack fellow introvert :)

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:21:46 »
Thank you all for the welcome!

For my clear boards, they both ping. I found it very annoying at first, but then after a few days not so much. I tend to type very heavily and the clears worked well to prevent me from hammering the keys into the ground.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:00:07 »
Bah. "Introvert" is just something that other people call you when you ignore them for not being your own level.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:11:49 »
Welcome to GH.  Don't worry about trying to contribute in a meaningful way.  tp4 and MW have 10K posts about nothing.  Literally nothing.  Not even a joke.  Or anecdote.  So the bar is incredibly low.  If you started a thread saying today is Wednesday you would be contributing more to this community than tp4 and MW ever have.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:35:19 »
Man, introvert is something that people think they are because they've been assimilated by technology
Go outside and enjoy the world man, talk to peo- Who am I kidding? Who needs friends when you have a whole row of clacks and brobots to keep you company!  :p :thumb:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:00:03 »
Bah. "Introvert" is just something that other people call you when you ignore them for not being your own level.

I once had a boss who told me the only way to get ahead in business is to be out in front. That the "behind the scenes" stuff I do is pointless because no one sees it or understands it. I told him that if he doesn't see it or understand it, it means I'm doing my job right. I'm quite happy being "behind the scenes". Not everyone needs accolades every time they show up to work for the day. He was a crappy boss, and he didn't like me much. I'm glad I don't have to deal with him anymore.

While I might not be overly social, if someone happens to stop by my desk I'm always willing to let them comment on my keyboards. The Poker II was a big hit. Now if I could just get my husband to understand why a keyboard can cost well over $100....

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:09:10 »
Introvert dialing in... On here I type a lot (for better or worse) - in the real world I don't have any friends.  I've found it extremely difficult to click with people.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:22:32 »
in the real world I don't have any friends.  I've found it extremely difficult to click with people.

You and me both, man. That is why I've decided I need to be more willing to be social on some level. So I'm going to make an effort. Hopefully it will stick. We all long to belong somewhere!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:13:49 »
I have to say, this is a very kind and helpful community. You will fit in just fine :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:56:42 »
I have to say, this is a very kind and helpful community. You will fit in just fine :)

YEAH! INTROVERTS UNITE!
But in your own rooms. Behind your computers. On forums or something...
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:25:02 »

YEAH! INTROVERTS UNITE!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:53:52 »

YEAH! INTROVERTS UNITE!

A conglomerate of mental patients with anxiety disorders..

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:59:47 »
While I might not be overly social, if someone happens to stop by my desk I'm always willing to let them comment on my keyboards. The Poker II was a big hit. Now if I could just get my husband to understand why a keyboard can cost well over $100....

Finally a wife (presumably!) having to explain to the husband the crazy keyboard obsession!  :P

Welcome to geekhack!  I like to use exclamation points apparently!  I don't normally yell this much.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:34:24 »

Finally a wife (presumably!) having to explain to the husband the crazy keyboard obsession!  :P

Welcome to geekhack!  I like to use exclamation points apparently!  I don't normally yell this much.

why do you assssume it's a wife.. it could be husband husband.. you don't know.. the world's crazy big !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--exclamation beam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:36:15 »

why do you assssume it's a wife.. it could be husband husband.. you don't know.. the world's crazy big !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is precisely why I said "(presumably!)".  That's an implied disclaimer of "hey, I'm making an assumption based on millions of people, so no offense intended if it's false".

But you know that.   >:D

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:37:35 »
Welcome to geekhack - from a fellow introvert in the IT field... :D

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 11:05:45 »

why do you assssume it's a wife.. it could be husband husband.. you don't know.. the world's crazy big !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--exclamation beam

No worries, I'm totally a wife. Not that I'm against two husbands or anything. Actually, one of the things I liked about this place is that there is a surprising number of girls kicking around here. Well, comparatively to other technically orientated places anyway. I am almost always the only female person in any given (usually work related) situation. Almost everyone that isn't directly looking at me assumes that I am a dude. It doesn't bother me much at all. I hesitated saying that I have to explain it to my husband, because often people assume that if you are a woman in IT/Engineering/Anything Technical you instantly don't know anything. Now, I say that and I am guilty of the same thing on occasion. So, I get it, but I don't like it!

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:09:49 »

somehow my wife convinced me to setup her computer in my office and the complaints about me pounding away on my qfs browns occurred on the first day. She'd probably divorce me if I got blues or greens lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:46:41 »

No worries, I'm totally a wife. Not that I'm against two husbands or anything. Actually, one of the things I liked about this place is that there is a surprising number of girls kicking around here. Well, comparatively to other technically orientated places anyway. I am almost always the only female person in any given (usually work related) situation. Almost everyone that isn't directly looking at me assumes that I am a dude. It doesn't bother me much at all. I hesitated saying that I have to explain it to my husband, because often people assume that if you are a woman in IT/Engineering/Anything Technical you instantly don't know anything. Now, I say that and I am guilty of the same thing on occasion. So, I get it, but I don't like it!

waittt waitt waitttt... 

Since WHEN....

Is this the same 32:1 you're talking about...  or are you saying GH has improved >> 32:1 ?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:50:57 »

waittt waitt waitttt... 

Since WHEN....
Show Image

Shhhh, she hasn't learned yet! Don't scare her away so soon!

inanis, the male:female ratio is 31.3:1 currently.   :))

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 19:35:15 »

Man, my girl-dar must be on the fritz. No worries. Though, out of the lot of you I thought there was probably about 2-5 other women who regularly, or semi-regularly post, so I might still be in the ball park.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 19:37:36 »

Man, my girl-dar must be on the fritz. No worries. Though, out of the lot of you I thought there was probably about 2-5 other women who regularly, or semi-regularly post, so I might still be in the ball park.

That sounds about right.  :)   Possibly a few more.  I can think of at least that many right off the bat, and I'm sure there are quite a few more I'm missing who we just don't know are women!  Secret women...   :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:03:44 »

That sounds about right.  :)   Possibly a few more.  I can think of at least that many right off the bat, and I'm sure there are quite a few more I'm missing who we just don't know are women!  Secret women...   :eek:

secret females on GH?

What is this girl-dar...    how does that work online...

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 18:23:01 »
sup homie g dawg
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:38:47 »
You guys I met one of the girls yesterday.  They exist.   :p

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
I'm an Introvert, but Hello!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:50:14 »
What's cracking? No need to say that you're an introvert. :P

We accept any and all kinds

Except onion gif spammers

Those are the worst. :)
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Belfong

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:58:10 »
Welcome.... the ration may be high amongst the man, but if many are girlish at heart. Look at the horror stories in the recent competition! Men here are scared of rodent eating alien! :P