Author Topic: [IC] Topre DSA Spherical Dye Sublimation Keycap Set  (Read 15274 times)

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
[IC] Topre DSA Spherical Dye Sublimation Keycap Set
« on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 07:31:17 »
I would like to know what the interest would be for a non-sculptured spherical dye subbed topre set. Color scheme still in progress.

I got a tour of a plastic injection molding factory yesterday with my partner, and we'd like to invest in it.

This set will include modifiers for both ANSI/ISO HHKB AND Realforce 87g. (and all alphanumericals of course).

If there are a lot of people with 104s, we will consider adding numpad, or doing a separate group buy at some point in the future with the numkeys.

Please reply zu der thread.

Offline sakai4eva

Re: [IC] Topre DSA Spherical Dye Sublimation Keycap Set
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 11:29:08 »
First!

Definitely interested.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 12:57:44 »
yessss

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:02:00 »
Interested if PBT...

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:04:30 »
Yes, they would most definitely be PBT.

Also considering blank, not just printed.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:14:33 »
Interested depending on price.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:25:33 »
Yes, they would most definitely be PBT.

Also considering blank, not just printed.
I would be in IF printed ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:28:06 »
I'd certainly be interested.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:29:13 »
I would definitely be interested!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:03:32 »
all over it sir
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:33:21 »
all over it sir

Damn, talk about it being so quick here.  If it's spherical, will this still be made at SP?  Or will BSP step in here for some reason?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:43:35 »
I'm in! Especially if it's different shades and colour!

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:50:13 »
SP declined our request to create a Topre set so we're having molds made that can be reused for future sets.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:51:29 »
SP declined our request to create a Topre set so we're having molds made that can be reused for future sets.

Where are you having the molds made?

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:55:23 »
all over it sir

+1

Lets make it happen!

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:56:08 »
A local mold manufacturer based on reverse engineered DSA tops with reverse engineered Topre stems.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:59:18 »
Going to be an expensive venture. Good luck.

I know of a few people that would be interested in the product.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 20:07:46 »
Could be interested ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 20:13:24 »

Yeah a lot of people are interested but it usually just stops here on Geekhack from going any further due to 'loss of interest' syndrome.

I wish you luck in getting this off the ground because you would be the absolute FIRST person here ever to release an all Thorpie keyset (spacebar and modifiers included).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 20:37:36 »

Yeah a lot of people are interested but it usually just stops here on Geekhack from going any further due to 'loss of interest' syndrome.

I wish you luck in getting this off the ground because you would be the absolute FIRST person here ever to release an all Thorpie keyset (spacebar and modifiers included).

And probably the first independent company to produce a full Topre set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:27:07 »
Well if the interest is high enough and I get enough replies on this thread, I will most definitely go through with it. At this point, as long as we don't lose any money, I'm definitely going through with it. We're looking at 3 maybe 4 molds to cover all alphas, modifiers and space for an HHKB. I'm starting to reconsider the Realforce because that would require doubleshots for Caps / Control / Num (keys with the LED window)...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:29:36 »
Well if the interest is high enough and I get enough replies on this thread, I will most definitely go through with it. At this point, as long as we don't lose any money, I'm definitely going through with it. We're looking at 3 maybe 4 molds to cover all alphas, modifiers and space for an HHKB. I'm starting to reconsider the Realforce because that would require doubleshots for Caps / Control / Num (keys with the LED window)...

Not just because I own one, but Leopold FC660c's seem very popular, one of the more seen topre boards imo.

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:33:04 »
I was just looking at one, it would require another 2-3 molds for modifiers.... but that LED'd capslock seems like it might break the deal... the double shot keys require a mold of their own for the 2nd layer.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:35:28 »
I was just looking at one, it would require another 2-3 molds for modifiers.... but that LED'd capslock seems like it might break the deal... the double shot keys require a mold of their own for the 2nd layer.

That is true. You could always ignore the LED'd caps and insert keys though.. I know I wouldn't care.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:23:35 »
My realforce doesn't have need the bloody doubleshots. Don't neglect meeeeeeeeee

p/s: I'll be fine with just the alphas...

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:16:37 »
Interested!
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:28:07 »
+1  :thumb:
My favorite board is HHKB, so a custom DSA profile set would be awesome.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Belfong

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:33:38 »
You know, just doing some coloured blank caps for HHKB could get you break even. I could imagine many of us here would like to have different colour blanks! Go go go!

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:39:29 »
You know, just doing some coloured blank caps for HHKB could get you break even. I could imagine many of us here would like to have different colour blanks! Go go go!

Agree, I think most of us are interested in pretty much any topre caps  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:50:45 »
This is the sort of thing that maybe, just maybe, one of the vendors might be interested in - to buy a bunch of them and sell them in their store.

That would be quite a draw card, having fresh custom Topre keycap sets, especially for HHKB!

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:03:13 »
This is the sort of thing that maybe, just maybe, one of the vendors might be interested in - to buy a bunch of them and sell them in their store.

That would be quite a draw card, having fresh custom Topre keycap sets, especially for HHKB!

I've thought this many times, surely their is enough pent up demand for Topre caps for this to be worthwhile, I know nothing about cap making so correct me if I am wrong but it just seems crazy that his hasn't happened yet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 01:10:01 by atlas3686 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 16:59:45 »

I've though this many times, surely their is enough pent up demand for Topre caps for this to be worthwhile, I know nothing about cap making so correct me if I am wrong but it just seems crazy that his hasn't happened yet.

Yes, it does seem crazy.

We get rumours about HHKB Fn keys, and Topre gamer sets, but no-one seems prepared to make a full set, especially for HHKB.

Although you've got to wonder - would it cheapen the HHKB by providing multi-coloured replacement keycap sets?

Probably not, no ;D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:13:29 »
If this is going to happen, starting with alphas would be easiest as everyone could use them. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:20:36 »
If this is going to happen, starting with alphas would be easiest as everyone could use them. :)

Or ... a full set of modifiers for HHKB would be nice as the RealForce ones don't really fit properly.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:12:37 »
I'm down for this.

I'm just concerned with the cost.

I imagine it costing allot because of the newness of the set.

Offline Prankk

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:56:06 »
Interested in anything that involves caps for Topre switches.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 21:13:03 »
@OP you can also consider contacting matt3o about the topre-slider-mx-stem that he's been prototyping.

Offline nebo

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 17:49:28 »
A longshot, but any chance of having all the mods for a HHKB JP as well?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:07:35 »
@OP you can also consider contacting matt3o about the topre-slider-mx-stem that he's been prototyping.

You should start with this. A single multi-cavity mold for this adapter would pay for itself very quickly, and all the MX sets available are in immediate availability for Topre users.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:14:45 »

You should start with this. A single multi-cavity mold for this adapter would pay for itself very quickly, and all the MX sets available are in immediate availability for Topre users.

Agreed. I don't know but I'm interested if the adapter would work for modifier keys with topre stabs. It seems that even if the modifier production went well there would still be some keys that simply couldn't be replaced like the 6x space bar on the hhkb pro 2.

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:24:33 »
I'm starting to reconsider the Realforce because that would require doubleshots for Caps / Control / Num (keys with the LED window)...

There's enough light leakage around the key cap that I'd find a windowless key acceptable. It isn't like I use caps lock anyway.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy into this group buy right now, so my opinion may not be worth anything. With the Coolermaster topre board coming (supposedly), I'd be concerned much of the market for topre caps is going to evaporate.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:34:37 »
I'm starting to reconsider the Realforce because that would require doubleshots for Caps / Control / Num (keys with the LED window)...

There's enough light leakage around the key cap that I'd find a windowless key acceptable. It isn't like I use caps lock anyway.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy into this group buy right now, so my opinion may not be worth anything. With the Coolermaster topre board coming (supposedly), I'd be concerned much of the market for topre caps is going to evaporate.

Yeahhhhhh… no. The market for Topre caps is not going to evaporate at all.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:28:38 »

Yeahhhhhh… no. The market for Topre caps is not going to evaporate at all.

It depends on how good the novatouch is, actually. If matt3o can simply 3d print the replacement stems, then why can't OP's new investment?

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 22:05:02 »
I'm interested as long as the price can significantly beat the Realforce/HHKB replacement caps prices. I would also very much like caps for the FC660C and would not mind if the CAPSLOCK and Ins keys were windowless.
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Sniping

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 22:25:34 »
I'm interested as long as the price can significantly beat the Realforce/HHKB replacement caps prices. I would also very much like caps for the FC660C and would not mind if the CAPSLOCK and Ins keys were windowless.

If you're talking about the EK prices, I doubt it. You're going to be paying for a portion of the molds so this won't be too cheap.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:01:25 »
Very very interested, depending on price and quality.  Would love to see some topre caps in the market.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:05:16 »
Interested.

Offline solar

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 01:06:10 »
oh my, hell yes I would be interested in some topre caps

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:21:24 »
Very interested, but don't buy-in to the DSA hype. Stock profile will sell more sets.

edit: i mean, if it's topre im gonna buy it, even if it's spherical or low profile.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:38:49 by admiralvorian »
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:40:05 »
+1 for stock profile.
Or just a PBT spacebar run. I dread the day my hhkb set "expires".
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red