Author Topic: HHKB Type S 'whistling' sound  (Read 15998 times)

Offline intelli78

HHKB Type S 'whistling' sound
« on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:47:23 »
I've seen some other members mention that their new HHKB Type-S had a 'whistling' sound when typing, presumably due to the way air escapes from under the domes. My new Type S from EK does the same thing, and it's a pretty undesirable sound. To everyone who's had this problem, did it eventually go away with use?

If anyone is curious, I can post a sound recording later.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: HHKB Type S 'whistling' sound
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:49:11 »
Snoopy just said his stopped it. Brian has said he'll accept returns because it's a known issue. Luckily, I haven't run into the problem with mine.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:49:23 »
Hmm, I don't notice any whistling with mine. I guess I will wait for your sound recording.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:55:25 »
I'm hoping mine goes away. It is quite annoying.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:57:47 »
I'm hoping mine goes away. It is quite annoying.

It's just friction, so you'll need to break the switch in. It's obvious because you can feel the scratchiness making the noise. You can lube the switch after a while if you want your keyboard to feel super smooth.

I'm not sure why this happens primarily with the Type-S but that just happens to be the case.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:02:53 »
It's just friction, so you'll need to break the switch in. It's obvious because you can feel the scratchiness making the noise. You can lube the switch after a while if you want your keyboard to feel super smooth.

Did you actually have a HHKB-S that eventually broke in and stopped whistling, or are you just speculating? Don't mean to be rude, just wondering if this info is based on actual data :)

Offline cphead

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:13:42 »
Mine stopped. Didn't even notice it go away but it no longer happens.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:16:07 »

Did you actually have a HHKB-S that eventually broke in and stopped whistling, or are you just speculating? Don't mean to be rude, just wondering if this info is based on actual data :)
This sound was actually discussed in another thread, I think this is what Sniping was referring to.  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55333.msg1244172#msg1244172
This is really a bummer about the HHKB Type-S, I think the whooshing sound that PFU actually claimed was normal for that variant sort of ruins the whole silenced topre sensation(for me at least).  The enter key on a Type-S sounds absolutely fantastic though.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Sniping

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:19:04 »

Here's my Type-S after 3 months of use. There was less of the annoying whistling noise, and the explanation for this seems obvious based on my experience.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:20:46 »

Here's my Type-S after 3 months of use. There was less of the annoying whistling noise, and the explanation for this seems obvious based on my experience.

Wow, that sounds great! Fast fingers!  :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:37:25 »

Thanks for the info!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:14:53 »
Here is a video. The top row is normal; what I would expect from a HHKB Type S (maybe slight whistle but not enough to notice during typing). But listen to dat whistle blow on the home row...

Offline Sniping

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 15:07:37 »
The issue just varies from switch to switch. Again, I don't really know what causes this inconsistency but if you haven't used your HHKB for very long I suggest that you wait as the sound will subside over time.

Offline "Edgar Allen Pho is Dead."

• formerly known as anoose
  • Member Since '11
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 15:13:27 »
I guess I got lucky with mine? I never experienced this whistle noise and I had my HHKB for about 1 year and half now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 22:48:37 »
 Are we sure the keyboards are not just whistling because they are happy?

Anyway, that would get annoying fairly quickly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CaptLock

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 10:57:28 »
I hear it is called the Topre "fart".  :eek:

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 11:25:18 »
I have the same issue with my Type-S. It seems to be a fairly common problem with newer Type-S boards. Mine happens on keys in the center of the board, pretty much all of the keys on the sides of the board are unaffected.

I emailed PFU about it and they basically said that it's completely normal and that it goes away after time. They didn't comment on why it (seems to) happen only with Type-S and not regular boards;

I don't think it's anything to do with the 'topre fart' thing, although I haven't ever experienced that to compare. I think it has to do with the sound dampening rings making the sliders tighter or something like that. As someone else said, it's friction for sure.

I have used the board a fair bit for about 2 months and it's still there. I also lubed my sliders recently using that GH thick krytox mix and that has made the switches feel smoother but hasn't made a change whatsoever to this sound in question.

Offline osi

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 11:47:49 »
Reading this thread yesterday got me checking out my board again. I've never noticed it before, but I swear I heard an inkling of this on my X key. Even picked up the board and shook it. Will check again next week.

Just over six months owning the board but I'm very comfortable stating that the board is well broken in with the mileage (oh so, so sweet mileage) I've put on it.

Only recently have I been using the board in the flat stance--legs were fully extended previously. Not sure if that makes a difference.  :blank:

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 07:06:41 »
Interesting to hear people saying that they had the issue and indeed as PFU said it will 'wear in' after time. I don't personally think the legs make a difference, I'm pretty confident that it's something to do with the dampening rings making the stems tighter and the friction as a result of this causes the whoosh sound. That doesn't explain why it seems to be more prone to happening to keys in the center of the board though?

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 07:28:24 »
Snoopy just said his stopped it.

Did I? I must have been drunk... :D

To be serious, it didn't stop yet. And it's so annoying, that I switched back to my normal hhkb, cause the normal one is more silent than the type-s. Return sounds and feels awesome, also some other keys. But the homerow is the worst. Not even do the keys make that strange noise, they also feel scratchy.

I got mine from smartimports. Sending it back is due to high shipping and import tax stuff no option. So if anyone has a solution, let me know... Is lube a solution?

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 07:29:31 »
Snoopy just said his stopped it.

Did I? I must have been drunk... :D

To be serious, it didn't stop yet. And it's so annoying, that I switched back to my normal hhkb, cause the normal one is more silent than the type-s. Return sounds and feels awesome, also some other keys. But the homerow is the worst. Not even do the keys make that strange noise, they also feel scratchy.

I got mine from smartimports. Sending it back is due to high shipping and import tax stuff no option. So if anyone has a solution, let me know... Is lube a solution?

Lube changes nothing in regard to this issue unfortunately

Offline intelli78

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 23:50:14 »
Here is what PFU said to me:

This is Kosugi from PFU Direct.
 Thank you for using our products.

"PFU Direct"  does not sell products out of the Japanese territory.
  Please return your "HHKB Type-S" to the store where you have purchased it.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Hard to tell if they completely understood my question, but they definitely didn't say it's normal. I am still waiting for EK to reply. I want to exchange it if I can get a replacement that doesn't whistle, but if all the new ones do the same thing...

I'd also be willing to wait it out if I knew it'd go away for sure... but that doesn't seem to be guaranteed.

Offline cphead

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 23:56:24 »
How long have you had your Type-S?

Is there anyone who has had it for a couple of months and still has the issue?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 00:03:10 »
How long have you had your Type-S?

Is there anyone who has had it for a couple of months and still has the issue?

I have used the board a fair bit for about 2 months and it's still there. I also lubed my sliders recently using that GH thick krytox mix and that has made the switches feel smoother but hasn't made a change whatsoever to this sound in question.

I've only had it a week or so. I honestly don't mind waiting it out if it's guaranteed to go away... don't mean to seem impatient... it's just that if it's not going to, I don't want to miss my window of opportunity to exchange it.

Offline cphead

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 00:07:30 »
It seems to be a really common problem and from what b7ad is saying it doesn't look like it is guaranteed to go away in 2 months ... Can only offer anecdotal evidence that mine disappeared after less than 1 month.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 03:19:26 »
Something I should have done when I lubed the board is remove the sound dampening rings from a few 'whooshy' keys to verify it was the rings causing the issue. May open the board up again when I get time and do this.

It seems to be a really common problem and from what b7ad is saying it doesn't look like it is guaranteed to go away in 2 months ... Can only offer anecdotal evidence that mine disappeared after less than 1 month.

Yeah very common with more recently purchased type-s boards especially. I think it was a little less than 2 months I have had the board and also whilst I have used it a fair bit, not during the day at all, only in the evening and more recently I have just switched back to my JP, as well as the odd MX board too, so I cant say I have used it enough to comfortably say that I have 'worn it in' yet.

Here is what PFU said to me:

This is Kosugi from PFU Direct.
 Thank you for using our products.

"PFU Direct"  does not sell products out of the Japanese territory.
  Please return your "HHKB Type-S" to the store where you have purchased it.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Hard to tell if they completely understood my question, but they definitely didn't say it's normal. I am still waiting for EK to reply. I want to exchange it if I can get a replacement that doesn't whistle, but if all the new ones do the same thing...

I'd also be willing to wait it out if I knew it'd go away for sure... but that doesn't seem to be guaranteed.

Pretty sure PFU understood exactly what I meant when I emailed them and as I said, they told me it was normal with the type-s and would go away. Also aside from that, in my opinion this response doesn't verify that they are saying 'it's not normal' they are just palming off any potential issues you may have to the vendor you purchased from outside of Japan. Of course a similar argument could be made about them telling me it was normal I suppose, but I have heard that from a few places and some people here are saying it has gone away after some use.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 13:38:16 »
Here is what EK said:

Hi Aaron,

Which keys does the issue effect? We can swap it out if you're dissatisfied, but this is an issue that can come and go, so I cannot guarantee the replacement board won't have some whistling or develop some over time.

I told them I'd just hang onto it, since there is no point in going through the trouble and expense of an RMA if the replacement is likely to have the same issue.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 13:54:53 »
With use it should get better, maybe some lube may help out if you decide to open it up.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:06:22 »
My Type S was delivered yesterday, and I'm also noticing whistling/farting on my home row. I didn't really mind it, maybe because I couldn't recognize it. I hope I didn't jinx myself by reading this thread haha. But sonically, I'm not bothered by the noise. I just want to live in ignorance!
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:08:10 »
Honestly guys, it sounds like friction between the housing and sliders to me. I'm sure lubing it will get rid of it. (I know it's a ridiculous problem for the price of the board, but I've only seen a handful of board that suffer from the issue on here)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:29:47 »
Honestly guys, it sounds like friction between the housing and sliders to me. I'm sure lubing it will get rid of it. (I know it's a ridiculous problem for the price of the board, but I've only seen a handful of board that suffer from the issue on here)

Lubed the sliders and didn't stop it at all. I think it's friction between the stem and the housing caused by the silencing pads making things tighter, not the sliders if that makes sense. Yet to confirm it doesn't happen without the silence rings in the affected keys though.

I'd say it seems a fair few people are experiencing it, I keep seeing new people saying their new type-s has the issue. It seems to be pretty prevalent with new type-s boards.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:30:54 »

Lubed the sliders and didn't stop it at all. I think it's friction between the stem and the housing caused by the silencing pads making things tighter, not the sliders if that makes sense. Yet to confirm it doesn't happen without the silence rings in the affected keys though.

I'd say it seems a fair few people are experiencing it, I keep seeing new people saying their new type-s has the issue. It seems to be pretty prevalent with new type-s boards.

Gotcha. Yeah, not sure. Was just speculating. Hope everyone's wears in or fixes themselves =(

Offline minority

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:35:41 »
You are lucky...
I got mine few days ago from PFU Direct Japan, all rows are whistling... (not all keys, but most), manufacture date 2014-01.

Feels like the sound come from stem and housing.

Just for record, have no idea.
Keyboard is not only switch

Offline bianco

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:59:35 »
could it be the secret of the type-s?
the keys shush themselves to silence?

seriously though, does this mean it's better to get the non-s version?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:19:16 »
Update: EK had an open-box one in perfect condition with (supposedly) no whistling, so they are shipping it to me and RMAing mine. I will report back next week to discuss how it compares.

Offline Norwegian

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:46:20 »
This whistling issue is making me steer well clear of the Type S. It sounds terrible to me.

There's a video, perhaps by a user on this forum (I'm not sure), but I saw it on /r/MechanicalKeyboards some days ago, comparing a regular HHKB vs. dental band modded HHKB vs. Type S, and honestly I find the dental band mod to sound better:

The Type S would be great if it wasn't for the whistling. But personally I think I might consider the dental band mod some time in the future, unless there's some kind of drawback with that mod.

Ducky Shine 2 Green LED MX Brown | Filco Majestouch2 91 TKL MX Red | Model F 5150 XT | Model M 52G9658 | Leopold FC660M MX Green | HHKB Pro2 PD-KB400W

Offline cphead

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:51:06 »
This whistling issue is making me steer well clear of the Type S. It sounds terrible to me.

There's a video, perhaps by a user on this forum (I'm not sure), but I saw it on /r/MechanicalKeyboards some days ago, comparing a regular HHKB vs. dental band modded HHKB vs. Type S, and honestly I find the dental band mod to sound better:

The Type S would be great if it wasn't for the whistling. But personally I think I might consider the dental band mod some time in the future, unless there's some kind of drawback with that mod.

Key travel distance, but that can be fixed with an iron apparently  :p

Offline intelli78

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 20:04:07 »

That was my video ;)

I would definitely recommend dental banding over Type S until PFU fixes this issue. It's really not acceptable for a board that has a $100 premium to be silent.

The ironing trick is only for soft landing pads, not o rings, btw. Having tried both mods, albeit in different boards, I strongly prefer the bands. The bands i used for that video were thin enough that they didn't reduce the tactility in any perceptible way.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:25:54 »
Hmmm. It would be awesome if someone could get to the bottom of this mystery and figure out what causes the issue. Is it the dampening pads, the sliders, something else, etc?

My Type-S still has this "whistle" sound, and although it doesn't bother me too much it would be nice to fix. If I could swap the stock silencing with bands and remove the issue I would. I would just hate to do it and still have the issue and be forced to buy a stock HHKB just to mod it. Unfortunately I got mine from Amazon.co.jp w/ Tenso before finding out about this issue, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to get a refund. Especially when it has been months, and I have done some DIY mods to it (though most are reversible).

Ohh and intelli, did you use actual landing pads (o-ring style) or did you use little donuts shaped cutouts from a silicon/rubber sheet like some others did?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:02:25 »
Hmmm. It would be awesome if someone could get to the bottom of this mystery and figure out what causes the issue. Is it the dampening pads, the sliders, something else, etc?

Yes, it would be awesome. My intuition tells me it's air rushing between the sliders and the housing. This seems plausible since the tolerances are supposedly tighter in the Type-S; that's why nothing similar is seen on standard HHKBs. This does not, however, account for why it tends to be in the middle of the board. Maybe the case mold produces slightly smaller holes in the center?? This is definitely a problem where keyboard science could help; however, it is not my place to tear this Type-S apart since it's going to be returned to EK. But yes, I think someone who's willing to dig into their board and methodically test different variables could get to the bottom of it. Better yet, PFU should get to the bottom of it.

Ohh and intelli, did you use actual landing pads (o-ring style) or did you use little donuts shaped cutouts from a silicon/rubber sheet like some others did?

OK, so there are a few different options to distinguish between

1. Bona fide soft landing pads http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads&pid=sl120_cs
2. Dental bands
3. O rings
4. Silicone/rubber punched out of sheet

I have done (1) on an FC660C. I ironed the pads down to <0.5mm. It was extremely effective at dampening sound. It made the board so quiet that it was boring and I eventually reversed it!

I have also done (2) on a HHKB, as per the video shown above. The result was not nearly as quiet, but it definitely takes the edge off the upstroke and the sound is lovely!

Dental bands are much smaller and thinner, in general, than o rings. Couldn't say how they compare in thickness to the silicone sheet, I assume that just depends on what you source.

Personally, I think (1) (2) and maybe (4) are the viable options. Most o rings I've seen would be so thick that they'd screw up tactility. The dental bands I used didn't.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:13:24 »

HHKB w/ dental bands is less snappy/tactile and the dental bands reduces the travel distance quite a bit. Type-S is a bit more noisy. Also, I found out that a lubed HHKB w/o dental bands is just as silent as a HHKB with lube AND dental bands. So for me, the only thing dental bands actually does is reduce travel... So if you just lube all the stabilizers and sliders your HHKB will become silent, no need for dental bands.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:14:58 »
http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEON-1-8-LIGHT-2-5-oz-ORTHODONTIC-ELASTIC-BRACES-DENTAL-RUBBER-BANDS-/141017868936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d551ea88

are those the correct dental bands? or any other recommendation?

I think those are the ones Glissant used. I used 3/11", both works fine.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:10:04 »
HHKB w/ dental bands is less snappy/tactile and the dental bands reduces the travel distance quite a bit. Type-S is a bit more noisy. Also, I found out that a lubed HHKB w/o dental bands is just as silent as a HHKB with lube AND dental bands. So for me, the only thing dental bands actually does is reduce travel... So if you just lube all the stabilizers and sliders your HHKB will become silent, no need for dental bands.

Thanks for this, it was very helpful as someone who is about to lube one of my 'regular' HHKB's and have also been considering a dental mod.

You find the dental band mod to be a noticeable travel distance reduction? Intelli commented that the reduction in travel distance was negligible I believe. Of course it's down to opinion, but interesting to hear.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but are you saying that a regular HHKB lubed is quieter than a Type-S? Where do you lube on HHKB? Just the slider rails and stabs? I lubed my Type-S just on the slider housing, but I have seen a few other people mention about lubing the plungers themselves as well as the slider housing if that makes sense. Maybe that's worth a try on my next time lubing?

Intelli commented that the dental band mod was slightly louder than the Type-S but I assume he didn't lube either boards. I find it interesting since the Type-S silence rings are so tiny, I can't understand fully why the dental band mod would be very much louder.

I have also got some of the soft-landing pads coming soon which I was planning to iron and put in a board. Have you had experience with using these?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:30:59 »

Thanks for this, it was very helpful as someone who is about to lube one of my 'regular' HHKB's and have also been considering a dental mod.

You find the dental band mod to be a noticeable travel distance reduction? Intelli commented that the reduction in travel distance was negligible I believe. Of course it's down to opinion, but interesting to hear.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but are you saying that a regular HHKB lubed is quieter than a Type-S? Where do you lube on HHKB? Just the slider rails and stabs? I lubed my Type-S just on the slider housing, but I have seen a few other people mention about lubing the plungers themselves as well as the slider housing if that makes sense. Maybe that's worth a try on my next time lubing?

Intelli commented that the dental band mod was slightly louder than the Type-S but I assume he didn't lube either boards. I find it interesting since the Type-S silence rings are so tiny, I can't understand fully why the dental band mod would be very much louder.

I have also got some of the soft-landing pads coming soon which I was planning to iron and put in a board. Have you had experience with using these?

I used the 3/11" dental bands on both my RF and HHKB and I definitely noticed some reduced travel distance.

The noise level of a Type-S and dental banded & lubed HHKB is very similar: https://soundcloud.com/joachim-rosenvold-knutsen/hhkb-pro-2-type-s-n-regular (1st keyboard in the sound recording is a Type-S, second is a dental banded & lubed HHKB).

Yeah you should lube the plungers as well, and no I haven't tried soft landing pads.

I got a pre-lubed and dental banded HHKB Pro 2 off of dustinhxc and I was happy with it, but when I got my Type-S I wanted to experiment just a little, so I removed the dental bands, but kept the lube... I quickly noticed that the keyboard without the dental bands was basically just as silent as before with the dental bands installed. So in my opinion and experience stock HHKB Pro 2 w/ lube > stock HHKB Pro 2 w/ dental bands & lube.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:51:33 »
I used the 3/11" dental bands on both my RF and HHKB and I definitely noticed some reduced travel distance.

The noise level of a Type-S and dental banded & lubed HHKB is very similar: https://soundcloud.com/joachim-rosenvold-knutsen/hhkb-pro-2-type-s-n-regular (1st keyboard in the sound recording is a Type-S, second is a dental banded & lubed HHKB).

Yeah you should lube the plungers as well, and no I haven't tried soft landing pads.

I got a pre-lubed and dental banded HHKB Pro 2 off of dustinhxc and I was happy with it, but when I got my Type-S I wanted to experiment just a little, so I removed the dental bands, but kept the lube... I quickly noticed that the keyboard without the dental bands was basically just as silent as before with the dental bands installed. So in my opinion and experience stock HHKB Pro 2 w/ lube > stock HHKB Pro 2 w/ dental bands & lube.

That's very interesting and makes me more excited to lube up one of my standard HHKB's! I'll definitely lube the plungers too. On my Type-S I lubed only the slider housing as per recommendation by Binge.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:53:05 »

That's very interesting and makes me more excited to lube up one of my standard HHKB's! I'll definitely lube the plungers too. On my Type-S I lubed only the slider housing as per recommendation by Binge.

Keep in mind, this will/should take away some tactility/snappiness but in return will silence the board. :)

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:01:35 »

Keep in mind, this will/should take away some tactility/snappiness but in return will silence the board. :)
[/quote]

Yes good point. I personally felt the stock HHKB is much snappier/tactile than the Type-S, but after lubing my Type-S slider housing I can't say it reduced the tactility any further. I guess the plungers also lubed will really smoothen things out which I like the sound of. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:07:13 »
I hope you'll share your results with us. I haven't tried a completely stock HHKB Pro 2 btw, so I sadly can't compare it to my Type-S. :( I really like my Type-S, though. It's 5 months old and doesn't have that whistling noise fortunately.