Author Topic: A bunch of keys on my ergodox are not working.  (Read 5309 times)

Offline vatin

A bunch of keys on my ergodox are not working.
« on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:30:12 »
After a lot of struggling, I finally completed my ergodox, and loaded with its proper firmware. However, a bunch of keys are non functional, I'll say more than half. And on the left side, the V and some other keys produce double characters, when pressing V, I'll get VF VF VF. It happen to some other nearby keys as well. I choose SMDs, and from what I can see with magnifying glass, they pretty much connects between the pads. I have temperature controlled iron, and use 300 F temperature. What could be the cause? What should I check. With so much money and time invested, it's feeling so close yet so far.

*here's the conclusion
The problem seems to be a shorted circuit of one of the switch SMDs,
excess solder connects said SMD with nearby hole for the through hole diodes.
Removing excess solder yields successful test.

I have completed my ergodox ;D
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42772.msg1407236#msg1407236
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:00:36 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: A bunch of keys on my ergodox are not working.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:42:27 »
What stage are you at in construction? What you should have done (might be at this point) is once you have the PCBs equipped with diodes, test each switch-hole with a multimeter to be sure energy flows in the right direction. Actually I tested each diode right after soldering it in place but that does leave your iron heated for nearly twice as long over the course of the project.

Then, when you attach the Teensy and load it with firmware, use a pair of tweezers and a program like Aquakeys, to make sure all those switchholes are talking to the uC, and only then, when you've proven you have a fully functioning keyboard, do you start to attach keyswitches.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline vatin

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:55:42 »
What stage are you at in construction?

It has been already completed :-(  I don't have censors and equipments, I only have temperature controlled iron, flux core solder wire, desoldering pump, a tweezer, safety glasses  :cool:
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:13:32 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Larken

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:38:43 »
are the diodes on the non-working keys soldered on the right way? I ask this as diodes have a direction - there's a small line on the smd that denotes the positive end.

For the keys triggering multiple letters, I'd guess there are some soldering bridges made somewhere. It'd be helpful if you could put high-res pictures of the board focusing on the soldering around the non-working keys. Would also be good if you could list the keys that are not working. If entire rows/columns are out, it could be the soldering on the teensy.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline vatin

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:44:33 »

are the diodes on the non-working keys soldered on the right way? I ask this as diodes have a direction - there's a small line on the smd that denotes the positive end.

For the keys triggering multiple letters, I'd guess there are some soldering bridges made somewhere. It'd be helpful if you could put high-res pictures of the board focusing on the soldering around the non-working keys. Would also be good if you could list the keys that are not working. If entire rows/columns are out, it could be the soldering on the teensy.

I use SMDs which does not care about direction. Thx for your concern anyway.
I'll check for other issues when I have time.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Larken

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:02:06 »

The SMDs do have a direction to them; as stated in my previous post, there's a small line on the SMD denoting the positive side (or the other way round, I forget). I wasn't talking about the through-hole diodes. I'm guessing that's why a whole bunch of keys aren't working.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:03:45 by Larken »

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline vatin

A bunch of keys on my ergodox are not working.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:03:38 »

The SMDs do have a direction to them; as stated in my previous post, there's a small line on the SMD denoting the positive side. I wasn't talking about the through-hole diodes. I'm guessing that's why a whole bunch of keys aren't working.
Sorry for taking your suggestion for granted. I'll definitely check.
I might have remembered incorrectly, leaving out this vital detail.
There is high hope to restore it to full functionality.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:56:22 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:32:36 »

The SMDs do have a direction to them; as stated in my previous post, there's a small line on the SMD denoting the positive side. I wasn't talking about the through-hole diodes. I'm guessing that's why a whole bunch of keys aren't working.
Sorry for taking your suggestion for granted. I'll definitely check.
I might have remembered incorrectly, leaving out this vital detail.
There is high hope to restore it to full functionality.

I think Larken's right. You'll get double key inputs when there's a short somewhere, and I can infer from your posts that the SMD diodes are not soldered on the right way, causing shorts on the key-recognition matrix.

This close-up should give you an indication as to how to solder the poor thing:

That minute line on the diode should face the square pad.

Offline vatin

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 06:00:59 »
Thank you all, now I know how to fix.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline vatin

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 10:51:37 »
I desoldier and flip all SMDs to its correct orientation and now all keys pretty much work :-)
But there are 2 problems
1. Repeated keys (1 or 2 keys)
2. Double input, of which the ones affected are
a s d f g
z x c v b
Each key when type individually in such order will produce
az sx dc fv gb
za xs cd vf bg

Any idea where to check? Could the diodes under these keys be defected?
OLKB Planck V6

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 11:42:27 »
I desoldier and flip all SMDs to its correct orientation and now all keys pretty much work :-)
But there are 2 problems
1. Repeated keys (1 or 2 keys)
2. Double input, of which the ones affected are
a s d f g
z x c v b
Each key when type individually in such order will produce
az sx dc fv gb
za xs cd vf bg

Any idea where to check? Could the diodes under these keys be defected?
Check the soldering under your teensy, your IO expander and your TRSS joints. It looks like a shorted circuits between two input lines, so it has to be one of those.

Offline vatin

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 11:18:51 »
Check the soldering under your teensy, your IO expander and your TRSS joints. It looks like a shorted circuits between two input lines, so it has to be one of those.

Today I sat for hours checking to make sure all the keys work. I switched out some diodes of dead keys and now all key work. Checking the teensy and io expander joints under magnifying glass, reheat, add solder, desolder and resolder the seemingly bad joint, but whenever I test. All keys would work except only these two rolls which continue to produce double input. Anyone has any idea what else could go wrong or what to check?
Oh it seems only one led would work, the upper one of the right hand board. It would grow red when I plug the USB in. I have no idea what the leds does or how I could activate it.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Larken

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 13:36:22 »
as sakai4eva mentioned, from the affected cluster, there's likely a short somewhere at either the i/o expander or the teensy. Pictures of both would help.

For the teensy, make sure to check both the soldering on both the pcb and the teensy itself (meaning the the pins on the top side of the teensy).

The LEDs on the board are tied to numlock, caps lock and scroll lock, from top to bottom.

Offline vatin

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:59:49 »
The problem seems to be a shorted circuit of one of the switch SMDs,
excess solder connects said SMD with nearby hole for the through hole diodes.
Removing excess solder yields successful test.

I have completed my ergodox ;D
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42772.msg1407236#msg1407236
OLKB Planck V6

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:10:29 »
Glad you fixed it!

I was having the same trouble yesterday afternoon after rewiring some stuff, so I knew exactly how it felt like.

Offline orangeju1ce

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 16:18:01 »
hello! i have the same issues with the diodes.

How did you rearrnage the diodes? did you just use a desoldering pump?

Offline chinux23

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 15:36:51 »
hello! i have the same issues with the diodes.

How did you rearrnage the diodes? did you just use a desoldering pump?

I had the same question before. I found a desoldering braid is really helpful in removing the bad soldering. You can get those really cheap about couple dollars.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:43:13 »
Braid works out well for some people and not as well for others. Before I got used to my desoldering pump I desoldered a keyboard with braid and was fine. I don't use it hardly at all now that I have a desoldering gun.

Braid should work just fine, but be careful about overheating and damaging the PCB. Do not be stingy with your bread. If one section is out of flux or not working, clip it and move to the next.

also: welcome to geekhack :)

Offline vatin

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:50:12 »
I got the ergodox to work for one week then it won't respond to any input that I have to sell it as scrap to a geekhacker who didn't like the layout and put it on sale.
I don't really know what went wrong. I be waiting for axios keyboard next.
OLKB Planck V6