Author Topic: New Unicomp Kentucky Wildcats Model M - $250  (Read 8193 times)

Offline 1391406

New Unicomp Kentucky Wildcats Model M - $250
« on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 00:54:35 »
I don't necessarily consider this a 'great find' due to the price, but this is the most appropriate place to post it. It's an open box item, but the keyboard is new. I'd love to have one, mainly for the blue / white key caps, but not at that price.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline iloveucla

Re: New Unicomp Kentucky Wildcats Model M - $250
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 01:03:04 »
That was just $59 in few years back....... :-X

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 01:05:23 »
Hmmm maybe some respective university bookstores still have some of these in the backroom or basement...

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:56:37 »
Unicomp were selling these off cheap on their website not long ago.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:45:58 »
The were in the bargain bin at $59 for quite a while. About a year, year and a half ago, I finally decided to buy one, and Zach told me that they had just sold the last one less than 24 hours earlier ......

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:47:42 »
I tried contacting Unicomp a few months ago about the caps or this board. They still have some of the blank caps in this color scheme but no more printed ones :(. And I'm not spending $250 on this. My hunt continues :(

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 18:55:36 »
I tried contacting Unicomp a few months ago about the caps or this board. They still have some of the blank caps in this color scheme but no more printed ones :(. And I'm not spending $250 on this. My hunt continues :(

They can just make new ones in that colour blue any time they want, I believe.

Offline iloveucla

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 19:01:02 »

They can just make new ones in that colour blue any time they want, I believe.
I think that will hit $100 shipped for today....

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 05:46:41 »
Unicomp were selling these off cheap on their website not long ago.
Lol, yeah i remember seeing this in their "bargain rack" for cheap.
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:11:48 »
My Kentucky saver. I must say this, so good.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:41:21 »
My Kentucky saver. I must say this, so good.
Show Image

Of all the blue and white key caps on the Kentucky Wildcats board, the F-row would've likely been the set I tossed in the trash. I guess some people actually want the word Kentucky splashed across their keys.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:28:15 »
I just got off the phone with a really nice guy from Unicomp and he said the reason they don't offer the Kentucky Wildcats key cap set is because they're pad printed, which doesn't measure up to their quality standards.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 16:10:06 »
I just got off the phone with a really nice guy from Unicomp and he said the reason they don't offer the Kentucky Wildcats key cap set is because they're pad printed, which doesn't measure up to their quality standards.
The issues with pad-print keycaps for buckling spring keyboards are well documented. I just wish it were possible for companies (like unicomp) to develop a better process and use that.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 17:24:15 »
The issues with pad-print keycaps for buckling spring keyboards are well documented. I just wish it were possible for companies (like unicomp) to develop a better process and use that.

I wonder if it would be possible for QWERKeys UV printing equipment to accommodate BS caps. We could order sets of colored caps and have them print the white legends (as well as other colors and custom images) onto them. Someone should take my idea and run it through them. Out.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 17:24:55 »

I wonder if it would be possible for QWERKeys UV printing equipment to accommodate BS caps. We could order sets of colored caps and have them print the white legends (as well as other colors and custom images) onto them. Someone should take my idea and run it through them. Out.

mooooooooooooooose

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 00:31:36 »
Also I'm just putting this out there as I own a wildcat board. The blue modifiers are not all the same color, so to say just the pad printing is a quality issue is an understatement. I still really like the board and I plan on using the caps on my Kishsaver eventually, but it's a little annoying.

I'll be picking up blank blue 1x keys for the function row as I don't want to modify the existing F row.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 02:26:55 »
Also I'm just putting this out there as I own a wildcat board. The blue modifiers are not all the same color, so to say just the pad printing is a quality issue is an understatement. I still really like the board and I plan on using the caps on my Kishsaver eventually, but it's a little annoying.

I'll be picking up blank blue 1x keys for the function row as I don't want to modify the existing F row.

I can vouch for this.

I once ordered 4 different printed red Esc keys. They were ALL different.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:44:49 »

I can vouch for this.

well, unicomp's dyesubs are always a little different across sets. THis was in theory fixed with their new machine, but we'll see. The pad print issue is separate, though.

Here's a very rare IBM with printed RGB kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-1391401-VINTAGE-CLICKY-COMPUTER-KEYBOARD-MODEL-M-WHITE-1984-/251594587473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9434bd51

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:07:29 »

I can vouch for this.

well, unicomp's dyesubs are always a little different across sets. THis was in theory fixed with their new machine, but we'll see. The pad print issue is separate, though.

Here's a very rare IBM with printed RGB kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-1391401-VINTAGE-CLICKY-COMPUTER-KEYBOARD-MODEL-M-WHITE-1984-/251594587473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9434bd51

How good a price is that for the Model M with RGB keys? I get free shipping with the item.
Poker II

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:11:20 »
How good a price is that for the Model M with RGB keys? I get free shipping with the item.

Entirely reasonable, if just a bit on the high side.

Those RGB keys are $12 + shipping per set, so with that factored in the keyboard is at about $50.

If you were patient you might do slightly better, but if you want the RGB keys anyway, just do it.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 1391406

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:49:49 »
Doesn't Unicomp already offer single unit pad printed keys? I'm not sure what the qualitative difference is between that and the Kentucky Wildcats pad printed caps.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:50:56 »
Doesn't Unicomp already offer single unit pad printed keys? I'm not sure what the qualitative difference is between that and the Kentucky Wildcats pad printed caps.

They don't do pad printing anymore I guess. I can only order blank blue keys. Also Unicomp won't make the blue modifiers anymore so there's that too.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:25:34 »

They don't do pad printing anymore I guess. I can only order blank blue keys. Also Unicomp won't make the blue modifiers anymore so there's that too.

The link I posted is for custom printed keys, which I assumed were pad printed. There's this link for blank caps.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 03:34:29 »

Entirely reasonable, if just a bit on the high side.

Those RGB keys are $12 + shipping per set, so with that factored in the keyboard is at about $50.

If you were patient you might do slightly better, but if you want the RGB keys anyway, just do it.

What is significant about these keys is that unicomp doesn't offer pad print anymore, and hasn't for a while. Original IBM padprint is quite rare (check the number on clickykeyboards; there's just a few). I would have snapped this up already had I the funds.

But I'm probably one of the very few IBM keycap collectors.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 11:20:51 »

The link I posted is for custom printed keys, which I assumed were pad printed. There's this link for blank caps.

Custom printed keys are still dyesub.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 11:24:20 »

Yep they still do dyesub, but not pad printing (ex. white pad printing on these blue keys)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:07:20 »
Yep they still do dyesub, but not pad printing (ex. white pad printing on these blue keys)

Dye sub is not a problem if it is black.

But getting light legends onto dark keys is always the problem unless they are doubleshot.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:10:49 »
Too bad we couldn't get them to try black dye sub on black keys :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:54:25 »
Too bad we couldn't get them to try black dye sub on black keys

I've got a bunch of those. It is called dyeing printed keys black!

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:28:35 »
Yep, I've done that too. You can even get navy blue dark enough that you can no longer see any letters at all.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 00:41:10 »
Too bad we couldn't get them to try black dye sub on black keys :)

Unlike topre, the unicomp "black" keys are so dark you can't see anything. I recommend dying your keycaps black if you want the topre effect.