Author Topic: Meetings  (Read 3388 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Meetings
« on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:04:39 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Meetings
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:05:21 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:23:43 »
I was in a meeting earlier today!  I got to eat three cookies, one bag of chips, one coffee, and one soda.

YUM

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 17:15:19 »
We don't have donuts at our meetings any more :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 July 2014, 17:18:27 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 20:45:22 »
we weren't allowed to eat or be on our phones or anything (like get real work done) doing the meetings.

And the CEO would yell at you if you didn't take notes.

and a lot of time was still wasted.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 20:45:58 »
we weren't allowed to eat or be on our phones or anything (like get real work done) doing the meetings.

Sounds like a lot of time was wasted with dumb rules.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 20:47:59 »

That's what meetings are for, aren't they?  To waste time, while making a middle manager look important.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 20:53:54 »

That's what meetings are for, aren't they?  To waste time, while making a middle manager look important.

Maybe in some places, sure.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:16:34 »
I only make visual aids for the meetings but usually they cater food and there is always extra!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 22:09:58 »
I'm on a conference call right now!

Except no-one else has dialled in, so I'm listening to the hold music :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 22:10:34 »

Gotta love that elevator music.  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 22:11:46 »

Gotta love that elevator music.  :D

The loop is only about 30 seconds long :(

Nope, sorry, I just timed it, 1 minute 14 seconds.

Seems like no-one else is turning up, I'd better get on with some real work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 July 2014, 22:14:05 by rowdy »

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:59:41 »
yesterday we had a quarterly meeting, in 'murican office, broadcast online. i could see the video, but couldn't hear any sound, since it was over webex, and webex's sound doesn't work on my machine. well, there was the option to call 'murica and listen to all the 3.5 hours of the meeting on my phone. but no. i couldn't hear anybody. nobody could hear me. so,
i drank four cans of coke, ate two mars'es and a small local choco pie

The loop is only about 30 seconds long :(

Nope, sorry, I just timed it, 1 minute 14 seconds.
geekiest quote of today.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 08:50:49 »
I.  Hate.  Meetings.  They get nothing done.  Great for learning about the office gossip, though.

Only time I will schedule a meeting is as a last resort, if emails/phone/cube visits are not more efficient than just sitting everyone down in one room for a bit.

Meetings are wonderful for people that cannot make decisions and do not want to take responsibility.  Rather than getting work done on their own time, they need to have meetings in order to be motivated to actually get things done.

Meetings only work if everybody comes prepared, there is an agenda, people do not stray off topic, and a person keeps everyone on task.  Even then, they are near unbearable.

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:56:34 »
I never got invited to meetings. And then I finally got dragged to one that I had to be in, and spilt coffee right across the table and down the lap of the guy opposite, who was also taking the minutes that got soaked. And then I didn't get invited to one for about 8 months. When I was invited again, someone mentioned my last meeting and while laughing about that, I accidentally (honestly) did exactly the same again. And never got invited to meetings after that.

On the whole, a great result.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:03:13 »
I never got invited to meetings. And then I finally got dragged to one that I had to be in, and spilt coffee right across the table and down the lap of the guy opposite, who was also taking the minutes that got soaked. And then I didn't get invited to one for about 8 months. When I was invited again, someone mentioned my last meeting and while laughing about that, I accidentally (honestly) did exactly the same again. And never got invited to meetings after that.

Congrats.  I am jealous.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:08:40 »
LuLz, that's beautiful.

I'm stuck in meetings constantly, many of them (dare I say...) useful and productive. Most of the large meetings however are nothing short of a rage fest and a superbly intricate exercise in the art of futility.

Love the OPs post pic btw. =)
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:10:23 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Belfong

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:31:57 »
I can bear face 2 face meetings but I hate conference calls. Concall have to be the single worst way to conduct meetings and most if the time they are not effective. People usually mute their phone and surf Geekhack!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:32:08 »
The weekly meeting with the CEO was pretty tedious, everyone was required to read the meeting minutes.

Other meetings with my department (computer retail) varied from "mostly useless" to "very productive" on the whole they were productive.
People usually mute their phone and surf Geekhack!
That sort of thing is grounds for immediate dismissal, like dozing off.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 14:09:36 »
If I ever hold meetings at work, they are going to be awesome.

Everyone is going to love my meetings.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 15:33:24 »

So glad I don't live in 'Murica.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Malphas

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 20:01:32 »

For real. I hear about people getting fired in the US all the time, for things that elsewhere would be seen as trivial or not even noticed, and illegal to fire someone over.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:08:03 »
We had another online conference on Friday.

Me and two other guys from this end, one of our clients from WA, and a couple of their IT team from the US.

We connected to the meeting site 1 minute before it was due to start and got the message that the meeting host needed to approve our entry into the meeting.  And a 10 minute countdown timer.

The three of us discoursed upon many and varied topics whilst watching the countdown timer do its thing.

At 10 minutes past, it auto-disconnected.

We switched everything off, closed the apps, logged out of the conference app, turned the lights off, and then the phone rang.

It was the client wondering if we were going to join the meeting.

So we all went back in, turned everything on, started everything up again, and had what actually turned out to be a fairly productive meeting (albeit with long periods of silence after someone said something, and everyone was wondering whether they should say something next).

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 20:28:52 »

For real. I hear about people getting fired in the US all the time, for things that elsewhere would be seen as trivial or not even noticed, and illegal to fire someone over.

In the US, you are supposed to care about your job, and if you are not completely committed, they might get rid of you.  In private industry, the 40 hour work week is dead.  I barely know a soul in private I hardy that works less than 45 hours per week.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:56:43 »
I read somewhere that lunches are required at some jobs!

I was lucky to get one at all, and if I did, I always had to take it at my desk.

It was very odd for me to see people working in other places, like California. They had snacks at work, you got a lunch, I even saw people who were bored and had nothing to do! It was truly eye-opening.

I was lucky to get the job I had, so I had to work hard to say there.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 16:05:20 »
I work 37,5 hours a week. I consider myself productive. We don't do a lot of meetings and when we do most are useful (I insist on most and not all). Worst are clients calls. The client is never there on time, but you still need to be there on time. And after 15 minutes lost, you decide to go back to work until the client calls you and 2 minutes after that, the client calls and you need to go back to the phone call...

But all in all, I love my job. I also believe that for most people, working max 40 hours a week is probably the most productive way of doing things if the job involve a lot of mental efforts. After 40 hours a week, you do more crap than actual work anyway if it's on a regular basis.

Oh, and I live 10 minutes from my job. That's super nice too. And we play poker during lunch time everyday!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 20:59:54 »
I work 37,5 hours a week. I consider myself productive. We don't do a lot of meetings and when we do most are useful (I insist on most and not all). Worst are clients calls. The client is never there on time, but you still need to be there on time. And after 15 minutes lost, you decide to go back to work until the client calls you and 2 minutes after that, the client calls and you need to go back to the phone call...

But all in all, I love my job. I also believe that for most people, working max 40 hours a week is probably the most productive way of doing things if the job involve a lot of mental efforts. After 40 hours a week, you do more crap than actual work anyway if it's on a regular basis.

Oh, and I live 10 minutes from my job. That's super nice too. And we play poker during lunch time everyday!

In the USA, only the lucky get to work 40 hour weeks.  Except at my workplace, I barely know anybody that only works 40 hours/week.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:08:03 »
I was in a meeting earlier today!  I got to eat three cookies, one bag of chips, one coffee, and one soda.

YUM

Fatty

I have one meeting a week to talk with consultants (they're on a beach or golfing getting paid to listen) for about 45 minutes where we
talk about progress with projects and discuss solutions to problems. It's really cool to listen to some of the smartest people I know talk about stuff I barely have a grasp on. (ultra high vacuum systems, 300+ Kv power supplies, IED detection, radiography using neutron generators...)

At my other job, it was maybe once a month.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Malphas

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:09:24 »

In the US, you are supposed to care about your job, and if you are not completely committed, they might get rid of you.  In private industry, the 40 hour work week is dead.  I barely know a soul in private I hardy that works less than 45 hours per week.

What a massive joke. I think I would laugh in my bosses (although I'm not even sure I have a boss actually) face if I was told I was supposed to care about my job besides money.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:11:23 »

In the USA, only the lucky get to work 40 hour weeks.  Except at my workplace, I barely know anybody that only works 40 hours/week.

Hell, I wish I could find a job in my town that's 40 hours a week...since the new healthcare regulations came about, nobody wants to hire for more than 30 hours a week because past that you have to pay for their healthcare (subsidized or not, greed is a ***** and nobody wants to pay for it)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:32:47 »

Hell, I wish I could find a job in my town that's 40 hours a week...since the new healthcare regulations came about, nobody wants to hire for more than 30 hours a week because past that you have to pay for their healthcare (subsidized or not, greed is a ***** and nobody wants to pay for it)

Oh yea, then there is that little trend.  Full-time jobs with benefits are not growing too much in the States.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 20:49:09 »
Headed into a meeting on Friday, essential supplies ready!

74686-0

I did check first to make sure I would not annoy anyone with my crunching.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 22:59:01 »

I can imagine you. Saunter into the room. Slam supplies down onto table (next to keyboard..?) Ask if anyone will be bothered by your crunching, make eye contact and stare down all who might say "no".

They are probably thinking: 'he has that loud KB that can beat up a zombie, I'm not messing with him!'

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 23:13:07 »

I can imagine you. Saunter into the room. Slam supplies down onto table (next to keyboard..?) Ask if anyone will be bothered by your crunching, make eye contact and stare down all who might say "no".

They are probably thinking: 'he has that loud KB that can beat up a zombie, I'm not messing with him!'

:))

But not quite.  It was a training course and I was sitting near the door nowhere near a keyboard.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:23:42 »
My boss hates meetings with his clients, so as one of the few programmers there I don't have to deal with them :)