Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 First Impressions by Fragil1ty  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
HHKB Pro 2 First Impressions by Fragil1ty
« on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 14:57:55 »
So because of the fact that the HHKB has quite a steep learning curve, I'm not going to be doing a review until I am a lot more familiar with the board and that may not be for a good two weeks or whatever, so what I'm going to bring you here is my first impressions and what not, enjoy.

Keyboard layout

So as you all know the HHKB Pro 2 has a very particular layout in regards to it's keys and this is because of it's 60% form factor layout. This is one of the main things and one of the major changes that you're going to have to face when coming to this board. The biggest change for me is the backspace location, the Function keys and also the location of 'home' etc as I use them in Arma games to switch to third person etc.

So that I wouldn't have to be using the right FN key all the time, I changed the left meta key to FN also and this seems to work wonders for the usability of the board.

Coming from a 75% layout, a lot of the keys are going to take a lot of getting used too and what not, but so far, I do really enjoy the 60% board.

One thing that I don't really like at the moment is that the HHKB seems to slide across the desk quite easily without much force, it doesn't move if you type or whatever, but if you push it quite softly it will slide across the desk and what not. I'm not sure if this is because of the rubber feet or because of the fact that the keyboard itself isn't that heavy, I really don't know, but that's just one small gripe that I've got with the keyboard thus far.

Keyboard feel

The keyboard itself feels very nice and sturdy, in my opinion, it doesn't feel cheap what so ever, although it still is plastic, it feels like a very high quality plastic. The keycaps are perfect as is the etching of the characters, I've been using mechanical keyboards for the past 5-6 years and these are some of the best keycaps I have had the pleasure of typing on.

I accidentally forgot to order my Red keycap though and now my keyboard feels naked :( wahhh.

MX to Topre

Now here is the big one I suppose, the switch from MX to Topre. Now I've not really had a chance to fully test out the Topre keyswitches, as I had to wait in all day for the keyboard on no sleep, so I basically set-up my keyboard and then I went straight to be bed, but since I've been up, this is what I've noticed and experienced.
  • Using Topre for gaming, I think it's going to be a learning curve, hopefully one that I can get used to in the near future otherwise this keyboard would have been a waste for me.
  • Me being primarily a MX Red user, it's quite hard for me to make the transition to Topre because of the slight bump, I have never really enjoyed 'bumps' on mechanical switches, but this time around it doesn't feel too bad.
  • Some of the Topre keys feel a little bit stiff and what not, but maybe this is down to the fact that it's a brand new keyboard and I need to work some of the keys in and what not, one of the stiffest keys that I have found is the space bar.
  • I have noticed that I do make a lot less typo mistakes while using this board, but currently? my WPM has gone down a little bit, which I'm not too happy about, but imo that's entirely due to me not being completely adjusted to the new board.
Conclusion thus far

So far, i think the HHKB Pro 2 was a good investment. It looks gorgeous, it feels rather nice to type on (just going to take a while to get used to the switch as I come from completely linear switches). But I am looking forward to using it over the next couple of months and I hope that it becomes a board that I can use on a primary basis.

你搞砸了

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: HHKB Pro 2 First Impressions by Fragil1ty
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 20:47:29 »
"the HHKB Pro 2 was a good investment" - I like that wording :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 07:38:26 »
"the HHKB Pro 2 was a good investment" - I like that wording :D

I like to speak the truth, let's hope it holds up in time for my full review in a few weeks, cannot wait really. It's going to be a very long/in-depth review, so just going to take my time with this one to be honest.
你搞砸了

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 13:10:55 »
I don't have the HHKB2 but FC660C, switched from cherry browns.  It actually took me a few weeks to really get used to topre and new keyboard in general.  So give it some more time I'm sure you will be fine, although I think I still like Cherry MX a little more for gaming (Not that I wouldn't be able to game on topre, just that I like the browns a little more for gaming).

I do like that delete key postion :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 15:32:25 »
Take your time getting used to HHKB and doing your review, it should be very enjoyable. Although HHKB can used well for gaming I think most HHKB owners have several keyboards and MX linear switches are my choice for gaming. For typing the HHKB is the best IMO. 

Offline ajx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:05:14 »
What do you think about HHKB layout?
I find it quite weird
Delete instead of enter  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:35:38 »
I find it quite weird

Enter and Return are synonymous (these days, anyway).

Backspace (labelled Delete) is where \| is on other keyboards (which makes sense - your finger does not have to move far off the home row).

Delete (forward delete) is in the top right corner, and readily accessible with the Fn key.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:29:59 »
I find it quite weird

I'm really enjoying it thus far to be honest, although one of the main problems for me is that when I'm switching to other keyboards e.g. My Macbook Pro, I'm pressing the enter key now instead of delete, lol. :(

I love the layout though, it's really functional once you get used to it and what not! one more week and then review time! Can't wait.
你搞砸了