Author Topic: [IC] 007 James Bond Novelty Keycaps - ABS Double Shots...  (Read 10956 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
[IC] 007 James Bond Novelty Keycaps - ABS Double Shots...
« on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 20:40:50 »
Yep, I am at it again. I am trying to come up with more keycap designs that everyone can enjoy. Is this a good idea or bad idea. Dr. No or Red Grant vs. Bond and Q, anyone?

---

Here are some mock-ups (these have not been verified to work as double shots yet, but will give a general idea):

72225-0

A1 - From Russia with Love
A2 - Original SPECTRE ring logo from the first shots of Ernst Blofeld's ring in From Russia with Love
A3 - Oddjob's hat from Goldfinger
A4 - Baron Samedi from Live and Let Die
A5 - Janus Group symbol from the Goldeneye Wii video game

The rest are pretty self explanatory. (Disclaimer: These keycap idea mockups have not all passed the SP approval process; and all colors subject to change.)

I am seriously considering running all group buys from now on in series pairs. So, please take a moment to look at the mock ups and vote for which pair of Villain/Film and 007 keycap you would like to see. For example, if you would like to see Baron Samedi and the Goldeneye reply with A4/B5. The two diamond icons are only place setters right now, as I plan to create a couple more villain/henchmen keycap ideas.

---
And here is the final pair for 007 Series I Modifiers?:

72995-1
Red Polycarbonate with White ABS Legends

-and-

72997-2
Black ABS with Silver Legends

Still working out the kinks...

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:41:02 by 00zeRO »
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] 007 James Bond Novelty Keycaps - ABS Double Shots...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 00:44:01 »
Just like with your other GBs I'd be interested in these caps, but 3x separate international shipping is just not worth it.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'd buy most of these keys, if they were available directly via your website or something :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 00:44:57 »
Goldeneye N64 was the best game ever, the movies are great too. Heh

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 07:29:15 »
Key ideas:
-Baron Samedi's facial painting (maybe the hat on top it also)
-Odjob's hat
-The Golden Gun
-Jaws' teeth
-Blofeld's cat
-Simple 007 logo
-'License to kill' backspace
-Some secret weapon/gadget launch button could be nice

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 10:21:58 »
Just like with your other GBs I'd be interested in these caps, but 3x separate international shipping is just not worth it.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'd buy most of these keys, if they were available directly via your website or something :)

I am considering doing all future SP led GBs in sets of pairs to lower the price per G B. Would that work for you?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 22:06:38 »
Key ideas:
-Baron Samedi's facial painting (maybe the hat on top it also)
-Odjob's hat
-The Golden Gun
-Jaws' teeth
-Blofeld's cat
-Simple 007 logo
-'License to kill' backspace
-Some secret weapon/gadget launch button could be nice

Working on some of these...will post mock ups.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:56:34 »

I am considering doing all future SP led GBs in sets of pairs to lower the price per G B. Would that work for you?

Well, it depends on how much it ends up costing me this way.

But again, in my opinion novelty GBs don't really work. Vendors should buy ~100 of each cap and then sell the caps separately with a fair markup like e.g. Keypop does. Otherwise the price per cap ratio is just aweful.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 08:22:30 »

Well, it depends on how much it ends up costing me this way.

But again, in my opinion novelty GBs don't really work. Vendors should buy ~100 of each cap and then sell the caps separately with a fair markup like e.g. Keypop does. Otherwise the price per cap ratio is just aweful.

While my title says 'Commercial Vendor,' it means that I work for Mechanical Keyboards. These keycap ventures are my own solo gigs. Right now, I don't have the capital to do what you are requesting.

That said, I think that from now on, I will be posting GB's in series pairs of keycaps. This should lower the cost to make it more affordable even for our international friends.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:45:52 »
Lowering the costs can be done, just look at the Vim and Debian GB, almost all the caps are now a bargain, of course there is the shipping issue but the money is refunded by the end of the GB and you pay one time for shipping.
One other thing I noticed on your GB is the lack of PR, the design is interesting, the Matrix one is really cool but the GB thread is almost "dead". This gives a bad impression to the buyer, even if the numbers are low you must "push" the product and convince the buyer that he is doing the best deal, which is really the case for example in Matrix GB.
This is time consuming, but on the other hand shows that the GB leader believes in the design  :thumb:

I'm a big Bond fan, something like this would look wicked double shot in DCS or DSA profile:

or this just the spiral because on DS there are limitations on the legend:

Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:48:34 »
One other thing I noticed on your GB is the lack of PR, the design is interesting, the Matrix one is really cool but the GB thread is almost "dead". This gives a bad impression to the buyer, even if the numbers are low you must "push" the product and convince the buyer that he is doing the best deal, which is really the case for example in Matrix GB.
This is time consuming, but on the other hand shows that the GB leader believes in the design  :thumb:

What should be done that has not been done? I have posted on several different subreddits and Red Rokk which is SP's PR company has been handling social media. Should I spam answers to questions not being asked in the thread? Please help me see what you mean.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 02:51:59 »
No, not spam, but keep the thread alive, the last update is July 18th. The Vendor sub forum is hidden enough, and if there is no update then people don't check it, and forget about the GB. You have a very interesting theme, make use of it, post each day something motivational, interesting artwork, make a review of the current order status. If the thread is updated each day, people see it and remember and some of them go ahead and place an order or two.
I never stop being amazed buy the way people think, one guy said that he received the notification e-mail from SP that one GB will end in hour and he was surprised that after 2 hours when he went to the PMK site the GB was over .... :-X . Or how many times you hear people saying "Ohhh, I didn't knew this GB was running.... I missed it"
Hope I was clear enough, it's hard for me as a non native English speaker to put my thoughts on "paper" ;)

I think that what Alin and I did with the SA Vim and DSA Vim and Debian GB's proves that a single key GB can be done, and our design wasn't even original, but we wanted this to happen, and trust me I posted only in the GB thread, didn't make posts in other threads only for publicity.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 13:48:14 »
No, not spam, but keep the thread alive, the last update is July 18th. The Vendor sub forum is hidden enough, and if there is no update then people don't check it, and forget about the GB. You have a very interesting theme, make use of it, post each day something motivational, interesting artwork, make a review of the current order status. If the thread is updated each day, people see it and remember and some of them go ahead and place an order or two.
I never stop being amazed buy the way people think, one guy said that he received the notification e-mail from SP that one GB will end in hour and he was surprised that after 2 hours when he went to the PMK site the GB was over .... :-X . Or how many times you hear people saying "Ohhh, I didn't knew this GB was running.... I missed it"
Hope I was clear enough, it's hard for me as a non native English speaker to put my thoughts on "paper" ;)

I think that what Alin and I did with the SA Vim and DSA Vim and Debian GB's proves that a single key GB can be done, and our design wasn't even original, but we wanted this to happen, and trust me I posted only in the GB thread, didn't make posts in other threads only for publicity.

Thanks. Regarding your suggestion for bond 'caps. I will consider doing something with what you posted. I have about 10 already designed, but many more ideas flowing.

Once I get them where I want them, I will put it up for a vote for people to choose which two keycaps they would like to see in the first 007 GB! Stay tuned!  :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:09:28 »
Mock-ups now posted. Vote for the pair you prefer to be in the upcoming GB series I of 007 keycaps on PMK.

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
  • MechanicalKeyboards.com
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:16:13 »
B1, B5, and B6.
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
Josh@mechanicalkeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline okwchin

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:30:59 »
B2, B5, B7

Although I watch 007 (and enjoy it), I guess I'm not a big enough fan to want it on my keyboard ?.. (or maybe it seems cheesy after someone I know uses 007 in their email address, and I sees it on a daily basis)
My sections were based on them being subtle hints to the genre, and still have generic appeal, which makes them a safer choice to me.

That said, B2 is not so much the 007 preferred walther ppk, but very fitting to the theme regardless. Probably no need to change, as a silenced pistol is still cool.

Overall, I must say that the golden legends are all very simple, classy, and clean looking, and I feel have better appeal to a wider audience.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:40:05 by okwchin »

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:52:32 »
B2, B5, B7

Although I watch 007 (and enjoy it), I guess I'm not a big enough fan to want it on my keyboard ?.. (or maybe it seems cheesy after someone I know uses 007 in their email address, and I sees it on a daily basis)
My sections were based on them being subtle hints to the genre, and still have generic appeal, which makes them a safer choice to me.

That said, B2 is not so much the 007 preferred walther ppk, but very fitting to the theme regardless. Probably no need to change, as a silenced pistol is still cool.

Overall, I must say that the golden legends are all very simple, classy, and clean looking, and I feel have better appeal to a wider audience.

What if I said they won't be 'golden' but a yellow that gets close to it. The only metallic color that SP has is silver.

I am trying to go for 2 keycaps: 1 Villain/Film(I can change the color) and 1 Bond. So, A2/B4 for example.

Offline Harrowed

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 05:47:45 »
A1 is a beauty, A4 is nice one too. From second row the B6 is the best.

Offline captain

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 06:24:24 »
BOOBS, of course!  ;-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 10:49:38 »
BOOBS, of course!  ;-)

I've actually never heard of that Bond villain. Which movie?
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:25:10 by 00zeRO »

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 20:58:44 »
BOOBS, of course!  ;-)

I've actually never heard of that Bond villain. Which movie?
All of them.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:00:47 »
BOOBS, of course!  ;-)

There won't be any of that on my keycaps. I know there will be disappointment, but if you wanna see a bond girl, watch any one of the movies. But, if you want a pair of classy keycaps, grab a set of the ones I design. There is enough girly stuff on Imsto's novelties...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:26:50 »
Well, there will be no gun logo. I was told that I could get away with a 007 but not with the pistol parts, blah. So, I am really thinking of doing A1 coupled with B4 (if I can) or B5. The colors I am thinking of is Red PC keycap with Silver (as in metallic plastic) legends.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:27:28 »
Well, there will be no gun logo. I was told that I could get away with a 007 but not with the pistol parts, blah. So, I am really thinking of doing A1 coupled with B4 (if I can) or B5. The colors I am thinking of is Red PC keycap with Silver (as in metallic plastic) legends.

And of course I will post mockups soon...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 22:50:31 »

And of course I will post mockups soon...

Mock ups now posted...tell me what you think...

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 23:46:34 »
Where are they posted?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 07:23:11 »
They are posted on the first post on this thread.  I suppose I should post them here.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 07:33:25 »
Where are they posted?

Here you go, sir...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 19:36:03 »
Where are they posted?

Here you go, sir...

Show Image

Show Image

Unless someone would rather see B1 or B3 from the mocks without the gun part, this is how the first round will be...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 20:24:50 »
Where are they posted?

Here you go, sir...

Show Image

Show Image

Unless someone would rather see B1 or B3 from the mocks without the gun part, this is how the first round will be...
Any objections before I proceed?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:50:14 »
I'm sorry, is the one on the right a reference to From Russia with Love?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 23:03:23 »
I'm sorry, is the one on the right a reference to From Russia with Love?

Yes...kind of clever...maybe?

Offline Harrowed

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 05:42:03 »
Why is GoldenEye on red cap? That one could have better color :rolleyes:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:30:16 »
Okay, so we do 007 instead?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 21:39:05 »

In my defense, the swirl on the keycap (which many associate with Goldeneye) is a stylized icon version of the famous opening sequence of all James Bond movies as seen below:

And this one that commemorates 50 years of Bond:

Would it make it better if I put a white circle in the middle?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 21:49:49 »
Perhaps these would be appealing for the first set:

73477-0

If not, maybe these?:

73479-1

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 21:52:25 »

(Attachment Link)

If not, maybe these?:

(Attachment Link)

Of course if the From Russia with Love reference is too hokey, lame, or just too obscure we can drop the idea completely.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:43:54 »

(Attachment Link)

If not, maybe these?:

(Attachment Link)

I just realized that the amended gun barrel scene keycap looks a lot like Permatex's logo:

Offline Manchias

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:56:44 »
Love this. I won't hesitate to click " Buy It "